PDA

View Full Version : Professional hair for a job interview?

agoddess2die4
August 3rd, 2011, 10:23 AM
I have a job interview next week in the accounting department of the college I just graduated from. I'm wondering what would be the best way to style my hair for a professional, but casual, look. Because it's at a college the offices seem to be a little more on the casual side, but I want to look mature and adult. My hair is still quite similar to my pictures, BSL with shortest layers a little below my shoulders. I'll be wearing a white, long-sleeve button up shirt, dark slacks, and black heels. Would it be more professional to style my hair, i.e. straighten or put some loose waves in it, or to put it up? And if I put it up, what would be an attractive and understated style that would work well with layering (and little hair experience because I'm a hair noob)? I want to make the best impression that I can because it's been a long time since I've had a job interview (or a job. :/).

knittingyogini
August 3rd, 2011, 10:29 AM
I would put it up or at least pull it back from your face (half up). I'm no help with what to do with your layers, but I see you're in NoVa like me. Its bound to be hot and humid next week. I think if you pull it up, then it will be more likely to still be looking like it did at home when you get to the interview. :)

Good luck!

Purdy Bear
August 3rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
Ultra smart = sock bun or chignon

agoddess2die4
August 3rd, 2011, 11:47 AM
I would put it up or at least pull it back from your face (half up). I'm no help with what to do with your layers, but I see you're in NoVa like me. Its bound to be hot and humid next week. I think if you pull it up, then it will be more likely to still be looking like it did at home when you get to the interview. :)

Good luck!

Yeah. Unfortunately the only white shirt I could find that fit me well and looked professional is long sleeve. Bad time of year to wear a long sleeve shirt! :eek:

Should probably go up though, for weather and for appearance. Down is prettier, but a job interview isn't about being pretty.

agoddess2die4
August 3rd, 2011, 11:48 AM
Ultra smart = sock bun or chignon

Any easy how-to's for those? My experience with buns is either pull it up messy with a hair tie, or twist it and clip with a bear claw clip. hahaha

Peggy E.
August 3rd, 2011, 11:56 AM
How about a flipped cinnamon bun? Looks like a softer version of a French twist - professional, but feminine at the same time.

Actually, the long sleeved shirt is more professional for a job interview, so it is just as well the shirt you have is long sleeved. It should be A/C in the offices, in your car(?), so the heat shouldn't be a huge issue.

Good luck!

Madora
August 3rd, 2011, 03:26 PM
Perhaps a Gibson Tuck?

I second the half up idea. Good luck with the interview!

GlennaGirl
August 3rd, 2011, 03:28 PM
Up would look more professional and would offset the slightly casual dress look you're going with (which sounds nice, BTW). You'll show yourself to be easygoing, yet neat and motivated to do a good job.

faithsdaisy421
August 3rd, 2011, 03:33 PM
I think a sock bun is a great idea!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM

GlennaGirl
August 3rd, 2011, 03:40 PM
Are you still able to do a peacock twist at your length? If so, go for ultra-smooth for the "French twist" part and not too much poking out--you may have to double up your hair to do it, but I think that would look absolutely fantastic.

But remember, not a lot of hair sticking out of the back, and not waterfall-style. Just a couple/few inches.

beez1717
August 3rd, 2011, 03:47 PM
Hey, If you have the hair for it go for a cinnamon bun! That I always find looks great, and is simple and looks professional since it looks like it took a long time to do!

archel
August 3rd, 2011, 04:32 PM
I like to do a sleek french twist (no peacock ends) for job interviews...although I work online now and have had nothing but phone interviews for a couple years - so anticlimatic! LOL