PDA

View Full Version : Did I measure right?

GabrielleRose
August 2nd, 2011, 08:50 PM
I was measuring the circumference of my hair and I got 4 or over 4 depending on how tightly I wrapped the measuring tape around. I was wondering, was I suppose to put my hair in a pony tail before or was I just suppose to wrap the tape around as if I was doing a pony tail? Because, I measured as if the tape was a pony tail holder.

monsterna
August 2nd, 2011, 08:52 PM
Put it in the ponytail holder first.

GabrielleRose
August 2nd, 2011, 09:25 PM
Put it in the ponytail holder first.

Oh, lol! I feel silly now. I still got to about 4. It varies I guess since my hair can be very thick looking it gets over 4 but then when it gets flat its slightly below 4. I'm still going to consider myself thick. :p

BlazingHeart
August 2nd, 2011, 09:41 PM
You want to make it as tight as you can, to get an accurate measurement. The smallest your hair can crunch down to is the right size.

Otherwise you get people have hair that is relatively voluminous (for example, curlies, or people with relatively fluffy or frizzy hair) saying they have superthick hair when the overall amount of hair just isn't as large. It strongly affects how long your hair has to be for updos and what size toys you need, among other things. I have over 5.5" circumference, and at waist I still can't do even the most basic, shortest-length accepting buns, and I need relatively big toys.

~Blaze

GabrielleRose
August 2nd, 2011, 09:58 PM
You want to make it as tight as you can, to get an accurate measurement. The smallest your hair can crunch down to is the right size.

Otherwise you get people have hair that is relatively voluminous (for example, curlies, or people with relatively fluffy or frizzy hair) saying they have superthick hair when the overall amount of hair just isn't as large. It strongly affects how long your hair has to be for updos and what size toys you need, among other things. I have over 5.5" circumference, and at waist I still can't do even the most basic, shortest-length accepting buns, and I need relatively big toys.

~Blaze

I did do it as tight as I could get it, but like I said it varies for me. Some days its slightly below 4 and then other days its above 4. I think it's because I mess with my hair so much, and brush it alot because of my tangles. My hair is picky! But I will measure again and update you on it. How far from the pony tail holder should I measure it?

BlazingHeart
August 2nd, 2011, 10:33 PM
I measure so that I'm right up against the ponytail holder. I find that measuring on top of it is inaccurate because you're adding the ponytail holder, and measuring too far away from it allows your hair to poof back up again when the ponytail holder had it relatively compressed.

As long as you're relatively consistent and relatively accurate, I don't think a small difference matters unless you're trying to track things like dietary and different care influences on your thickness.

~Blaze

GabrielleRose
August 3rd, 2011, 12:06 AM
I measure so that I'm right up against the ponytail holder. I find that measuring on top of it is inaccurate because you're adding the ponytail holder, and measuring too far away from it allows your hair to poof back up again when the ponytail holder had it relatively compressed.

As long as you're relatively consistent and relatively accurate, I don't think a small difference matters unless you're trying to track things like dietary and different care influences on your thickness.

~Blaze

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

jojo
August 3rd, 2011, 12:28 AM
I put my hair in a pony and slide the elastic down a bit and measure above, my measurements vary from 4.2-4.4". This is normal, its not an exact science just a rough guide and 4" puts in the thick category.

GabrielleRose
August 3rd, 2011, 05:14 PM
I put my hair in a pony and slide the elastic down a bit and measure above, my measurements vary from 4.2-4.4". This is normal, its not an exact science just a rough guide and 4" puts in the thick category.

I will try that, because it seems like you would get a better measurement that way. I feel like measuring below the elastic would give me a false measurement due to it squishing the hair.