PDA

View Full Version : So... I found a few...

GabrielleRose
August 2nd, 2011, 08:37 PM
So, I found a few hair strands that look wirey and some what thicker than all my other hair strands, I'm wondering, can I classify myself as having coarse strands as well? For now, I believe I for sure have fine and medium in the mix.

QueenJoey
August 2nd, 2011, 08:41 PM
You're not alone. My hair has a variety of thickness. Half fine, half medium, but I've found a few coarse strands. It used to be just fine, but now I consider it F/M.

GabrielleRose
August 2nd, 2011, 08:48 PM
You're not alone. My hair has a variety of thickness. Half fine, half medium, but I've found a few coarse strands. It used to be just fine, but now I consider it F/M.

It's confusing, lol! I'm guessing because I have a majority of blonde hair but then I find some red, and brown, and very rare some what black hair strands.

Yame
August 2nd, 2011, 08:58 PM
I've been wondering about something similar. Most of my hair--at least the hair that has reached the most length--is coarse. Very coarse! So coarse I could make a paintbrush out of it. I could floss my teeth with it. I could play music on it. I could use it to make a violin bow. A couple of those statements may be exaggerations, but not by much...

On the other hand, I have a lot of really fine hairs all over the place. I only realized that recently because I never really paid that much attention to my hair before. It seems like the fine hair I have is REALLY fine! And it has various lengths... from short to medium (most of it doesn't grow all the way down to the hemline, though). I think this is how my hair used to get frizzy so easily in humid weather despite being so straight. All the fine hairs frizz up and make my hair look awful. Thankfully this never happens anymore since I started extending washes.

But back to the topic, here I am, with what I believe is a mainly coarse hair type, but I also have some really fine hairs. I don't know if this is normal. I don't know if it changes my hair type. Maybe I should classify my hair as medium, but it seems like most of the hair I have is either very coarse or very fine so I don't think that would make sense!

monsterna
August 2nd, 2011, 09:03 PM
I get the same thing. Very wiry, pubic-like hairs interspersed throughout the others. Pretty strange. I get the urge to pull them out (one of these things is not like the other things, one of these things just doesn't belong! ><), but I of course resist it. :)

MissManda
August 2nd, 2011, 09:03 PM
My hair is fine to fine-medium and I once found a kinky, coarse hair growing near my hairline plus some other smooth but coarse hairs thrown in here and there. I classify my hair according to whatever takes up the majority of my mane. There aren't enough full-on medium or coarse hairs growing out of my head for me to consider them in my haircare routine, so I just snip them off with scissors.

GabrielleRose
August 2nd, 2011, 09:08 PM
I've been wondering about something similar. Most of my hair--at least the hair that has reached the most length--is coarse. Very coarse! So coarse I could make a paintbrush out of it. I could floss my teeth with it. I could play music on it. I could use it to make a violin bow. A couple of those statements may be exaggerations, but not by much...

On the other hand, I have a lot of really fine hairs all over the place. I only realized that recently because I never really paid that much attention to my hair before. It seems like the fine hair I have is REALLY fine! And it has various lengths... from short to medium (most of it doesn't grow all the way down to the hemline, though). I think this is how my hair used to get frizzy so easily in humid weather despite being so straight. All the fine hairs frizz up and make my hair look awful. Thankfully this never happens anymore since I started extending washes.

But back to the topic, here I am, with what I believe is a mainly coarse hair type, but I also have some really fine hairs. I don't know if this is normal. I don't know if it changes my hair type. Maybe I should classify my hair as medium, but it seems like most of the hair I have is either very coarse or very fine so I don't think that would make sense!

Wow! I was just thinking, wouldn't you include all types of hair you have? Because, I think I have way more thin and medium but I thought maybe I should include coarse to see if I could find suggestion on help with my super tangled and split end prone hair.

GabrielleRose
August 2nd, 2011, 09:13 PM
I get the same thing. Very wiry, pubic-like hairs interspersed throughout the others. Pretty strange. I get the urge to pull them out (one of these things is not like the other things, one of these things just doesn't belong! ><), but I of course resist it. :)

They do look pubic-like lol! :laugh: Some times I want to pull them out and assess them, also because the color of them is so much different than my blonde hair.

GabrielleRose
August 2nd, 2011, 09:14 PM
My hair is fine to fine-medium and I once found a kinky, coarse hair growing near my hairline plus some other smooth but coarse hairs thrown in here and there. I classify my hair according to whatever takes up the majority of my mane. There aren't enough full-on medium or coarse hairs growing out of my head for me to consider them in my haircare routine, so I just snip them off with scissors.

The majority makes sense. I was feeling all cool finding some coarse strands, I wonder why we're finding coarse strands?

BlazingHeart
August 2nd, 2011, 09:20 PM
Well, the way the categories in our profile are set up, we can't put in all three! Otherwise, I suppose I might. My hair varies mostly depending on where on my head it is. I have fine hair in the top of my canopy and around my face, medium hair with a few coarse hairs mixed in for most of my head, and a thick band of coarse hairs at the nape. I count myself as medium/coarse because that is at a guess 95&#37; of my hair. It also typifies how my hair behaves - I have virtually indestructable hair that doesn't take a curl well.

~Blaze

GabrielleRose
August 2nd, 2011, 09:28 PM
Well, the way the categories in our profile are set up, we can't put in all three! Otherwise, I suppose I might. My hair varies mostly depending on where on my head it is. I have fine hair in the top of my canopy and around my face, medium hair with a few coarse hairs mixed in for most of my head, and a thick band of coarse hairs at the nape. I count myself as medium/coarse because that is at a guess 95% of my hair. It also typifies how my hair behaves - I have virtually indestructable hair that doesn't take a curl well.

~Blaze

Then I believe I will leave my profile as F/M, because the thickness of my strands are quite thin which are the lightest shade of blonde I have, the medium is the darker shade of blonde I have. Thanks for your help!

whitestiletto
August 2nd, 2011, 09:29 PM
I have some random coarse hairs. I used to pull them out when I was younger. They are very thick and zigzag, whereas the rest of my hair is medium fine and straightish.

GabrielleRose
August 2nd, 2011, 09:44 PM
I have some random coarse hairs. I used to pull them out when I was younger. They are very thick and zigzag, whereas the rest of my hair is medium fine and straightish.

How come you would pull them out? Do you still pull them out?

BlazingHeart
August 2nd, 2011, 11:54 PM
How come you would pull them out? Do you still pull them out?

I'd bet for the same reason I sometimes pull out the ones that appear on the top of my head: they stick out and don't lie smooth, and they don't feel like the rest of the hair around them.

The sticking out bit is what really annoys me. I don't get fly-aways from the whispy fine stuff, but the coarse hairs poke out all over!

GabrielleRose
August 3rd, 2011, 12:04 AM
I'd bet for the same reason I sometimes pull out the ones that appear on the top of my head: they stick out and don't lie smooth, and they don't feel like the rest of the hair around them.

The sticking out bit is what really annoys me. I don't get fly-aways from the whispy fine stuff, but the coarse hairs poke out all over!

I've found some poking out, but I leave them alone because I'll probably pluck them out lik crazy!

MissAlyssa
August 4th, 2011, 12:57 AM
I have these too, but much more than just a few, they're all at the nape of my neck and probably enough to make a little tiny ponytail. It's just so weird because the rest of my hair is more fine and soft. And I'm blonde, I always thought blondes had finer hair for the most part. They're also very wavy I guess you could say, and get so poofy, the only way I could ever get them to feel nice was when I straightened them :P
Anyway, just thought I'd share, and it's cool to hear about other people who have these too :)

GabrielleRose
August 4th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I have these too, but much more than just a few, they're all at the nape of my neck and probably enough to make a little tiny ponytail. It's just so weird because the rest of my hair is more fine and soft. And I'm blonde, I always thought blondes had finer hair for the most part. They're also very wavy I guess you could say, and get so poofy, the only way I could ever get them to feel nice was when I straightened them :P
Anyway, just thought I'd share, and it's cool to hear about other people who have these too :)

I'm blonde too, so I thought the same thing lol! That's cute that you can make a small pony tail. :)

MissAlyssa
August 4th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Haha thanks :) I am curious to know why we get these different textured hairs, and why some people have a couple and others have a lot, though not a full head of them. If anyone has any ideas or knows anything about it please share :)

spidermom
August 4th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I think that's normal. My hair is fine/medium/coarse, and it's all colors and degrees of curliness, too.

GabrielleRose
August 5th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Haha thanks :) I am curious to know why we get these different textured hairs, and why some people have a couple and others have a lot, though not a full head of them. If anyone has any ideas or knows anything about it please share :)

You're welcome. ;) I was wondering the same, I was also wondering if we have always had these coarse strands or are they coming out because we are letting our hair grow out?

GabrielleRose
August 5th, 2011, 11:08 PM
I think that's normal. My hair is fine/medium/coarse, and it's all colors and degrees of curliness, too.

Your hair sounds alot like mine minus the curliness.

ArienEllariel
August 5th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I'd say my hair is 90&#37; fine, 8% medium, and 2% coarse. I still classify my hair as being fine. I've noticed that the thicker the hair strand, the darker in color it is. Also my canopy is straighter than the hair underneath. It's weird because I'll get a distinctive wave pattern in the underlayers and even will get some crazy curl things going on at the nape. :shrug: My hair is strange.

GabrielleRose
August 5th, 2011, 11:56 PM
I'd say my hair is 90% fine, 8% medium, and 2% coarse. I still classify my hair as being fine. I've noticed that the thicker the hair strand, the darker in color it is. Also my canopy is straighter than the hair underneath. It's weird because I'll get a distinctive wave pattern in the underlayers and even will get some crazy curl things going on at the nape. :shrug: My hair is strange.

Wow! I think I have a little more than half of fine hair strands and then medium strands, and a few coarse strands. I have also noticed my coarser strands are darker as well! I think my hair is weird because it has some very loose waves with straight in the mix, and then different color hair strands but overall my hair color looks golden. :inlove:

torrilin
August 6th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Most people have some hair variation.

I'd class my hair as F, because the vast majority of the strands are F. It takes 3-4 of my regular strands to look as thick as most people's single strands. Even so, I do have strands that are M in thickness, and are not stupidly hard to see. I even have a very few strands that are probably a C in terms of thickness. They're very noticeably larger and thicker than everything else on my head. They're also mostly buried in my underlayer, so I leave them alone.

If you look at my sister's hair, the strand types are the same. She has stupidly fine F hairs, M hairs and C hairs. But the proportion is different. Her hair is naturally a smidge darker than mine, and like me, the darker hairs tend to have more C. She has a lot less F hairs, and the bulk of her hair is M. (she's probably a 1b or 1c, M, iii)

Same basic genes, same basic hair color, same basic curl pattern, same natural porosity... and the end result is still very different. Our brother, Mom and Dad are all different as well. Our brother ended up with ash blonde hair to our blondish/brownish/reddish, and his hair is probably F/M. Dunno the curl pattern, his hair has never been long enough to see if there's any present. Dad is a 1c or maybe even a bit higher, F/M, and probably a ii (and a lot more inclined towards long hair than my brother, which is how I can get such a complete type on him). Mom is a 1a/1b, F and probably a ii. Despite all the fine hair, every one of 'em can pick out hairs on their head that are C.