PDA

View Full Version : Advice/thoughs on my issues and planned routine

rocksmom
August 2nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
I just introduced myself in the introductions forum, but could really use some thoughts and/or advice on the problems I've had with my hair as well as my plan I have for it going forward. I'll start with a little history on my hair.

My hair looked it's best in high school despite the abuse I put it through. I used cheap sls shampoos with the coordinating conditioner and heat styled every single day with a hair dryer and a large barrel curling iron. I don't think I used any products at that time. Maybe a coney cream when I was done styling. I also dyed my hair pretty often, including going blonde one time from my normally medium brown. Fast forward to after I was married I started using salon products and wearing it up constantly because I was just too lazy to blow dry and style it. Still colored occasionally.

Now, the last month or so I've been reading about hair care both here and on a curly hair forum. In that time I've tried co washing with a few different conditioners. I tried bars which I think led to a lot of breakage. All of a sudden I have short little hairs everywhere! I tried cone free products. I tried oils. I tried protein. Etc, etc. I've come to the conclusion that my hair didn't really like any of it. Now my hair is looking pretty rough and even after a DT it's not too happy. I know it's mostly from washing too often and trying out too many things, so here's my "k.i.s.s." routine that I plan on making myself follow for at least 2-4 weeks:
1. CWC using a coney conditioner and a cone free, sls shampoo.
2. Go as long between washes as possible to give hair time to recover.
3. DT once per week after a shampoo.
My hair just didn't seem to like being cone free, which I'm guessing is attributed to it's high porosity. It would dry fast becoming poofy and frizzy and then soak up every bit of moisture in the air since it didn't like any oil on it to seal it. I figure I'll go back to cones for awhile and now that I know about build up I should be able to manage them better.

Any thoughts on all of this? I know I wrote a book, and I apologize. there's just so much to learn here. :o

Oh, one more thing. I'm considering using henna + indigo down the line to cover some old highlights and deepen up my "mousy" hair. Do you think this will help the condition of my particular head of hair (as far as porosity, texture, etc)?

Thanks!

rocksmom
August 2nd, 2011, 12:58 PM
Forgot to add that my hair is currently just past my shoulders, but has lots of layers in it. I haven't been successful in getting it to go into anything resembling a bun. Is there anything I can do besides a ponytail? Even with that there is quite a bit of hair that falls out around my hairline and nape. I really wish I could french braid. I've tried a couple times, but I don't think I've successfully french braided my own hair since junior high.

Mairéad
August 2nd, 2011, 01:02 PM
Well, I always recommend to people that a clarify can work wonders. It's good to do before you're starting a new routine. It's good to do when you can't figure out what's wrong with your hair. It's good to do before you color. And, it's good to do when your hair is being just plain weird. I like to think of it as sort of a "reset" button on your old routine and when products build up. So, before starting any new routine, use a clarifying shampoo.

Cainwen
August 2nd, 2011, 01:06 PM
Wow, you tried all of that in a month?

I'd second the clarifying wash, and maybe recommend an ACV rinse. I have similar hair to yours (though longer) and I've had very good luck with it. Other than that, maybe just leave your hair alone for a while. swapping products that much might be part of your problem.

rocksmom
August 2nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
Wow, you tried all of that in a month?

Yeah, I might have went a little overboard. Just a little. :rolleyes: I normally wash pretty often because of oiliness, but I would use the same s&c for 6 months or longer most of the time.

As far as clarifying, I've already done that. I did it before experimeting to get rid of cone build up, after the bars to get rid of the waxy feeling, and then this morning.

Lilli
August 2nd, 2011, 01:20 PM
My hair likes it best when I don't do too much to it. For you, I would say to get a moisturizing coney S&C and leave it alone! I'd also leave the color alone... most people look good with their real color and there is no upkeep!

Athena's Owl
August 2nd, 2011, 01:35 PM
wow, whoa, slow *down.* too many changes at once! if it works great, well fine, but if it doesn't work you'll have to throw out the whole process because you don't know what part of your routine doesn't work!

Change *one* thing from your normal routine. Stick to that change for five washes. then evaluate.

spidermom
August 2nd, 2011, 01:40 PM
I agree - change one thing at a time so you will know exactly what benefits your hair and what doesn't. I think CWC with your current favorite products is a good first step, and you can dilute your shampoo in some water if you are concerned about drying out your hair. I almost always do and saved an empty shampoo bottle so I can mix it warm every time.