PDA

View Full Version : Quick help while waiting for dye release

jaquelines
August 2nd, 2011, 09:15 AM
I habe been mixing about 3 hours ago jamilla 2011 with hot ( hand hot ) strong chamomile tee. It was saftely placed in a baggie, but after 2 hours were I didnīt noticed any dye release on the white paper under the baggie, I have opened the bag and placed it in a bowl and covered very good. But still no dye ! Is this normal ?? Have I done something wrong ? I did a patch test but you barely see somethign orange. Itīs dumb, because I have used 60 gr jamilla to 120 cassia , I am not expecting a strong hand stain, but so far itīs very very less, almost not visible and even the henna in the bowl does not show any darkness on the upper side.

I thought that when adding chamomile tee the dye release is much more faster. It has been more than 3 hours and still no change.

jaquelines
August 2nd, 2011, 09:51 AM
Anyone around ?

Rustella
August 2nd, 2011, 10:05 AM
Don't know if it still helps, but I got dye release on Jamilla Summer 2011 crop in four hours just two weeks ago. It will come.

jaquelines
August 2nd, 2011, 10:08 AM
Was it also chamomile tea ? I am still waiting for the dye to release. Itīs been now about 5 hours.

Rustella
August 2nd, 2011, 10:14 AM
Yes, it was with chamomile tea. I wasn't waiting for dye release per say, that's just how long I've always waited before using henna just to make sure. I would go ahead and use it. I never got the brown grease layer on top like I was used to with Yemen, yet the mix still looked brownish so I went ahead and used it. I got a wonderful stain from it, even though I never got that "dye release" look from it.

jaquelines
August 2nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
Something is definitely going wrong - I´ve done again the patch test - nothing. The weird part is : one hour ago, I´ve made a mixt out of pure jamilla ( no cassia this time ) and some cold rest from the chamomile tea . I already have a little stain, while still no stain from the cassia/jamilla mix. Is it possible that I have ruined something and it will be no dye release ? The tea was hot but you could still put your finger in . This is the first time when I mix henna with tea, so far I have used only lemon juice, but too dry for me. In any case - after 4 hours still no stain for the 40gr henna to 110 cassia ( I had to correct the amount used - it was not 60 to 120 it was 40 gr jamilla to 110 cassia )

Dolly
August 2nd, 2011, 12:32 PM
Hot water will cause quicker dye release and also quick dye demise.....I would do your next batch with room temp tea......

jaquelines
August 2nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
So it is possible that it already had dye release and now nothing left anoymore and that is why I donīt get a stain on my hand ?

Rustella
August 2nd, 2011, 12:40 PM
I can't see it no longer staining after just hours. While it does go down with time, I've used henna that was out for two days and still got good stain. Did you try it anywhere besides your hand? I often test patch more than one area if I'm not sure if it's cooperating. The hotter the water the faster the dye release, but some do take much longer than others. However we used the kind, you should have something by now. Where did you get the henna? How well did you mix the cassia and henna? Have you stirred it lately? Just looking for answers to your puzzle.

jaquelines
August 2nd, 2011, 01:25 PM
No, I just did a patch on my hand. Henna was frmo hennaboy a few weeks ago, kept in the freezer. Both jamilla, as cassia as well. ). I just did another test, trying both ( the new single jamilla and the jamilla/cassia mix ). The stain from cassi/jamilla not visible at all, jamilla only stain - a bit orange. Never did a patch test before so I donīt know how bright orange should this look. Jamilla only has been under dye release for 4 hours with cold chamomile tea. I could either apply it now and see how it looks, or still wait. Does the stain on the skin from jamilla have to be orange ? Mine is washed out/faded orange. I donīt know if it means that the dye has release or not.

Rustella
August 2nd, 2011, 02:07 PM
It sounds ready. Stir it up and go for it! Also remember that it will continue to dye release while it's on your head.

jaquelines
August 2nd, 2011, 02:51 PM
I hope so ! Thank you.

Mymagicfairy
August 2nd, 2011, 03:07 PM
With jamilla I wait over 12 hours for dye release
Yemeni is usually around 4 hours till dye release
Also depends on the temperature in the room...I think

caribou55313
August 2nd, 2011, 05:12 PM
You can't get much stain on skin out of a mix that's mostly cassia - it's too light to show up well on skin in just a few minutes. That's why I mix cassia and henna separately, so I can skin-test the henna :)

Mixing with hot liquid will give you instant dye release and more rapid demise than with cool liquid. The green on the bottom, brown on the top look is more typical of cool, acidic mixes. A hot liquid mix will typically turn from green to brown right away, so the top isn't going to be a different color than underneath. All the paste will darken pretty quickly because the warmth accelerates dye release (and demise).

jaquelines
August 3rd, 2011, 02:47 AM
Sorry ladies, I had to move the thread and post new results , it would be nice if you cold follow it and let me know what I should do/add/change, as I want to redo it on the weekend.
The new thread : http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1720115#post1720115