PDA

View Full Version : Baggie method

jivete
June 26th, 2008, 03:18 PM
So I ran accross this method today on some of the black hair care forums and was curious if anyone here uses this method (I couldn't find anything by searching)? I was thinking of trying it out at night since I braid anyway, just add a light moisture treatment and then cover the braid with a plastic bag. I know for horses, the way to get a longer, fuller tail is to "bag" it. Surely it would work for humans too.

Fencai
June 26th, 2008, 03:21 PM
wow! Im curious now!!!
if you try it, keep us posted!

suicides_eve
June 26th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I thought about this to: Your hair grows faster in humid/ hot weather ie. Summer, Now if you could mimic that environment (enter the bag) would your hair see a increase in growth??

i tried it for 3 weeks and did not see a substantial amount of growth beyond the ordinary, the only thing i noticed was my hair was way softer, more curly and just brilliantly shiny i had my experiment posted some were on my old blog..
the only negative was i received was a quicker amount of build up on my scalp and my strands eventually became over moisturized and would stretch and snap.

savi
June 26th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Well, when I do a DT I baggy it, sometimes during the night too. I haven't noticed any difference in growth, but it's good for the moisture. (I try to sleep on my stomach when doing this, the bag weirds me out.)

Sometimes I just put a plastic cap over my head while doing a deep treatment and a towel over that. I think it's helps some.

Poetic
June 26th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I did not like the method. I found it made my hair smell sour. My ends also began to break due to the dampness caused by the baggie method.

julya
June 26th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I put a plastic grocery bag covered by a buff on my head when I'm doing a cassia treatment or another longish term treatment. It keeps drips to a minimum and I like the results.

Garnett
June 26th, 2008, 06:01 PM
It also helps because it keeps the natural heat from your scalp in.

Wavelength
June 26th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Not sure if this is the same sort of thing, but I put a cotton drawstring bag on my braid tassle when I do an overnight sleep braid. It protects the ends and helps them curl and stay soft.

I like cotton or silk better than plastic (unless I'm doing a conditioning treatment). Keeps the hair soft without it being damp. Wet hair tends to break, at least on me.

mommy2one05
June 26th, 2008, 07:56 PM
well please keep us posted if you try this and notice an increase in growth.

FlipHunny
June 26th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Well, I also sleep with a plastic bag or plastic wrap when doing deep treatments or heavy oilings. Not everyday but at least once a week. A difference in growth hasn't been noticeable for me.

Oneya
June 26th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Just be careful..you don't want a moisture overload, in that case you'll have to do a protein treatment.

FlipHunny
June 26th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Just be careful..you don't want a moisture overload, in that case you'll have to do a protein treatment.

I did determine through strand tests last year that my hair needed protein :) It's balanced now though. My deep moisture treatments aren't often so I'm not worried about too much moistire. But my heavy oilings are usually weekly:p

Buddaphlyy
June 26th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I tried it several times and hated it. But I did it allover my head though. My hair was very soft and moisturized, but it took forever to dry. Maybe when my hair gets long enough to braid, I will try again.

Oneya
June 26th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Thank sounds like me..my hair laughs at the thought of being overmoisturized.

Starr
June 26th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Thank sounds like me..my hair laughs at the thought of being overmoisturized.

There's such a thing as being overmoisturized?:confused: Who knew?:p

I've tried the baggie method for moisture- it works really well for overly dry hair. . .

cheekytweety
June 27th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Sounds good. Look forward to seeing your results.

Melisande
June 27th, 2008, 01:06 AM
About once every ten days, I soak my lengths and ends in a mixture of conditioner and oil (lately, I"m enthusiastic about olive oil which never worked for me before) and bag it, a sandwich bag with a crunchie. I don't want to "strangle" my scalp, that's why I use a shower cap only for dyeing.

It's good for the ends and in an indirect way, it contributes to growth when you don't lose hair to breakage - but I doubt you can influence direct growth that way.

I do well with essential oil massages of the scalp. I feel my thinning temples are SLOWLY filling in and my overall growth is good.

But then, this is just my groschen.

jivete
June 27th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I don't think I could cover the whole head very often and especially not overnight. I tried it last night, like melisande described with a plastic baggie over my braid. I can't tell a difference in my ends at this point, not that I would expect to.

I use this all the time for my horse and it works great. Her hair is super coarse though and extremely dry. The hardest part is keeping the "bags" in, especially in the mane. She'll also get some breakage at the top, but I can't stop her from rubbing her hair on stuff. Here's a site that demonstrates the method for horses. http://www.toadstoolfarm.com/manebags/how.html

I've found Vetrap (which is a stretchy, self-adhesive bandage) to be the best thing to use on the horse, because it keeps the braid smooth. For me, instead of the plastic, I think I'll just make a little silk drawstring bag, braid with some leave in conditioner and then slip the bag over the braid at night to help hold in the moisture. I'll let everyone know if I think it makes any substantial difference after a few weeks. I'm really prone to breakage on the ends and right now I'm trying to push the time I wait before another trim.

jivete
June 27th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Oh and Melisande, which oils do you use for your scalp and how often?