PDA

View Full Version : Totally proud of myself! LOL

Jader_Jem
August 1st, 2011, 11:30 PM
So since I started using coconut oil I've been trying to figure our a comfortable way to sleep without getting my pillow all oily. Well tonight instead of running out to buy something to use to cover my bun I got out some left over yarn and crocheted myself a bun cover! LOL it looks like a mini beret, and I braided some yarn and weaved it through the egde of the cover so I can tie it so it wont slip off. Im super stoked about my little invention and it;s quite comfortable!:cheese:

QueenJoey
August 1st, 2011, 11:35 PM
Hmm, do you think you could post a vid of how you do this creative "sleep cap"?

Jader_Jem
August 1st, 2011, 11:40 PM
LOL Im not sure how to do that just yet, im still a newbie at all this :) But all I did was crochet in a round pattern and made the opening taper in, the wove braided strands around the opening so I could tie it closed around the bun. I can try and take a picture and add it to my signiture. Give me a couple mins and ill try that so you can at least see the picture :)

Jader_Jem
August 1st, 2011, 11:50 PM
There you go! theres a picture of it in my signiture:)

slo2gro
August 1st, 2011, 11:51 PM
haha how genius of you hope it works well you go girl woot

Jader_Jem
August 1st, 2011, 11:54 PM
LOL thanks! I was stoked over it because I thought about it before a ran right out to buy something with money I couldnt afford lol:)

dulce
August 1st, 2011, 11:55 PM
That's really inventive of you!

Jader_Jem
August 1st, 2011, 11:56 PM
Thank you! :D

pixi_stix
August 1st, 2011, 11:57 PM
That is very pretty. Quiet a talent you have there.

Jader_Jem
August 1st, 2011, 11:58 PM
Thank you! My mom's friend taught me how to crochet when I was 13 and Ive been going non stop since lol :)

AnqeIicDemise
August 1st, 2011, 11:58 PM
LOL Im not sure how to do that just yet, im still a newbie at all this :) But all I did was crochet in a round pattern and made the opening taper in, the wove braided strands around the opening so I could tie it closed around the bun. I can try and take a picture and add it to my signiture. Give me a couple mins and ill try that so you can at least see the picture :)

I did something similar but its a snood. I can post this up if you want too.

AnqeIicDemise
August 1st, 2011, 11:59 PM
Thank you! My mom's friend taught me how to crochet when I was 13 and Ive been going non stop since lol :)

Ooh.. and I don't know why I didn't think about doing a chain for the draw string instead. -facepalms- I just used a scrap bit of yarn to do mine and since it was baby yarn, its super flimsy and irritating.

Jader_Jem
August 2nd, 2011, 12:00 AM
Yeah Id love to see how yours turned out!

Jader_Jem
August 2nd, 2011, 12:02 AM
I always love to see other people crafts! It give me lots of inspiration! :)

AnqeIicDemise
August 2nd, 2011, 12:18 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8235&pictureid=109273

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8235&pictureid=109272

I'm not happy with the colors, but eh.. that's what happens when you're working with scrap yarn.

BlazingHeart
August 2nd, 2011, 12:29 AM
What actually works better than a chain is a simple braid. It's less stretchy than a chain, so it's easier to tie things at an even pressure.

I crochet and knit pretty much incessantly. We turn on the TV and I pull out my latest project (currently a lace scarf that was auctioned in support of recovery efforts in Haiti, but recently a lot of baby blankets as there has been a boom amongst family and friends).

~Blaze

Jader_Jem
August 2nd, 2011, 12:47 AM
What actually works better than a chain is a simple braid. It's less stretchy than a chain, so it's easier to tie things at an even pressure.

I crochet and knit pretty much incessantly. We turn on the TV and I pull out my latest project (currently a lace scarf that was auctioned in support of recovery efforts in Haiti, but recently a lot of baby blankets as there has been a boom amongst family and friends).

~Blaze

Yeah thats what I did was a braid, I figured it would be sturdier:)

Jader_Jem
August 2nd, 2011, 12:48 AM
AnqeIicDemise: Thats really cool! Ive never seen one like that! Does it stay on real good through the night?

tgagurl27
August 2nd, 2011, 12:56 AM
haha thats so cute..

Jader_Jem
August 2nd, 2011, 12:59 AM
Lol I had to try it on my dog first before I used it because it looks like a little doggy beret! LOL:D

AnqeIicDemise
August 2nd, 2011, 01:19 AM
AnqeIicDemise: Thats really cool! Ive never seen one like that! Does it stay on real good through the night?

I don't know if it sticks the whole night, as I've only napped in it (for like four hours) and it works pretty well. I do have to say that since the yarn is of very small gauge and really stretchy, it doesn't hold well on its own. I have to put two bobby pins in, one at each temple, and that holds perfect.

I'll have to re-do the draw string and test it out. I can tell you that it is super comfortable for house cleaning!.... Also, that I will have to make another one in a month or two as I made this one a little too shallow. Maybe I can redo the last three rows of DC, increase and redo the border with more yarn. Hmm.

Its also a super easy project. I finished the snood whilst watching a documentary.

EtherealOde
August 2nd, 2011, 01:22 AM
Aww, cute! What a clever idea!

Slinks
August 2nd, 2011, 05:57 AM
that's really NEAT !!! :-)

Sweet Beat
August 2nd, 2011, 06:28 AM
That's so creative. Well done :D

cindy58
August 2nd, 2011, 06:37 AM
Lol I had to try it on my dog first before I used it because it looks like a little doggy beret! LOL:D

That made me laugh -- I want to see your dog modeling it!

monichella
August 2nd, 2011, 08:31 AM
Super original!
I use to sleep with the head in a pair of heavy collant instead XD but it works!

Jader_Jem
August 2nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks everyone!
AnqeIicDemise: Well even though it may not stay super well it sure is cool! I think ill look up a tutorial on how to make one on youtube lol. Nice work on it, when you make the new one Id love to see pics of how it turns out!

cindy58: LOL I didnt even think to get a picture of her in it! lol Ill have to get some of her up lol, do you know how long I have to wait before I can make an album and post pictures?

Id love to see all of your projects your working on! I tend to get addicted to Etsy lol I usually just look at the pictures because everyone has such great ideas! :)

spidermom
August 2nd, 2011, 01:35 PM
I've never noticed pillowcase issues with oiling, maybe because I only oil my length and do a top-of-head braid at night. Honestly - I've never noticed an oily spot because of it. I also oil my feet, and I have noticed that a bit of it rubs off on the foot of the bed.

Jader_Jem
August 2nd, 2011, 01:52 PM
I've never noticed pillowcase issues with oiling, maybe because I only oil my length and do a top-of-head braid at night. Honestly - I've never noticed an oily spot because of it. I also oil my feet, and I have noticed that a bit of it rubs off on the foot of the bed.

I only oil the lenght of my hair too, but I was afraid it would leave a mess on the pillow lol I hadnt seen anything on here about it so wasnt sure lol, It was quite comfortable though! Extra cushioning! lol:)

heatherovka
August 2nd, 2011, 03:24 PM
That's great! I love the bun cover! I brought my crochet stuff with me - just moved from KY to MI - maybe I should try that. I'm not too far from Traverse City, actually! *waves hi from tiny Afton, MI* :D

QueenJoey
August 2nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
ooh, I need to get better at crocheting so I can do this! My mom taught me when I was maybe 6 or 7, but I stopped doing it. Now all I can do is one line. :(

mallorykay13
August 2nd, 2011, 03:39 PM
I totally want one!

Jader_Jem
August 2nd, 2011, 06:25 PM
That's great! I love the bun cover! I brought my crochet stuff with me - just moved from KY to MI - maybe I should try that. I'm not too far from Traverse City, actually! *waves hi from tiny Afton, MI* :D

LOL Michigan is pretty isnt it?! You should come here for cherry festival next summer, it's alot of fun! :)

Jader_Jem
August 2nd, 2011, 06:27 PM
ooh, I need to get better at crocheting so I can do this! My mom taught me when I was maybe 6 or 7, but I stopped doing it. Now all I can do is one line. :(

You should give it a try again! You can really surprise yourself with the stuff you can create!:)