PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Wavies!!

Mrs_Zombie
June 26th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hello lovely wavies, i have a question for you!!

My hair is pretty wavy right after i wash it, and through that first wash day. The next day though all my waves are gone and my hair just flips up at the ends, i only wash my hair once a week and so only have waves for one day. Granted, its not straight, but its not really wavy, just flippy. I don't use anything on my hair other than jojoba oil right after i get out of the shower (on wet hair). I don't really know if its the length, the cut, or because my hair is actually getting straighter as i get older.

Does this happen to anyone other wavies?

Oh, i'm also starting to use Aveda's curl enhancer cream. I think that's what its called. Its supposed to hold curl in but it hasn't so far. Any suggestions?

Ursula
June 26th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Yes.

This happens to me too - the level of curl/wave decreases the longer it has been since my hair was wet.

I've found that, short of a full wash, the best way to perk up my waves is to use Shell's water-scrunching method in-between washes, to add some fresh conditioner and water without completely soaking my hair.

hurricane_gia
June 26th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Oh yeah, each day post-wash, my hair gets flatter and flatter. It's common among wavies.

One reason is that wavy/curly hair needs a lot of moisture. When your hair is freshly washed, even after it dries, it is very moist. Each day, it loses a little moisture. You can counter this drying effect by spritzing your hair often between washes. Put a small amount of conditioner in a spritz bottle with distilled water and use that. When I'm wearing my hair down, I need to spritz a couple of times a day. This is in addition to the oils I put on my hair at night and in the morning . . .

Another possible reason for flattened hair is styling. When you braid or bun or otherwise manipulate your hair, you press it out of it's normal wavy shape and into a new shape. That flattens the wave. Even combing it can take out the wave. You may try finger-combing only, or combing first and then spritzing, and then not touching your hair any more.

My waves are very sensitive to handling, and almost anything I do, even just picking up my hair to move it over my shoulder, can take out a little wave. Fortunately, I live in a very humid climate, so the wave always comes back. It's actually kind of fun to watch my waves rebound from a braid; I start with braid waves and after a few minutes my hair starts to fight its way back to it's natural shape . . . depending on the humidity level, within two or three hours no one is even able to tell I ever braided my hair. :)

Basically, the rule for wavy hair is this: "When in doubt, add moisture."

hurricane_gia
June 26th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I've found that, short of a full wash, the best way to perk up my waves is to use Shell's water-scrunching method in-between washes, to add some fresh conditioner and water without completely soaking my hair.

Ursula, I don't think I'm familiar with this method. Can you point me to an explanation?

Ursula
June 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Ursula, I don't think I'm familiar with this method. Can you point me to an explanation?

Shell described it to Snowy in this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=262

Mrs_Zombie
June 26th, 2008, 05:40 PM
thank you both! I guess it does make sense about the moisture. I use to live in a very humid climate and never had this problem, my hair would always be wavy, but now that i live in a much drier climate it was weird to see my hair flattening out so much.

I'll definitely make some moisturizing spray. I have kimberlily's recipe and have been meaning to try it.

I didn't think too much about the dry weather having to do with my waves going bye bye. Thanks hurricane_gia!!

Also thanks Ursula for the link to Shell's water-scrunching method. I'll definitely check this out too!!

Euphony
June 26th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Yep, yep, yep - mine too. First day I can have some big, loose spirals, or just some strong waves, second day it looks like I braided damp and the ends flip and it's just straighter from there. And I live in a humid climate (right on the water) - I bet it would be pretty straight in a dryer climate.

rubyredslippers
June 26th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I find that if I do an EVOO treatment (overnight, or for a couple hours) right before I wash my hair gets really wavy, and semi-spiralled. Wavier than anything I can do to it, other than multiple bee-butt buns on my head. Plopping is an option you might want to explore too. The more defined waves might hold longer. Mind you, I'm no expert.

Good luck on your quest for waves!

Patrycja
June 26th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I've been wondering how to get my little waves I have to stand out. I love it when the waves co-operate.Thanks for posting the thread link Ursula.I'm definately going to try Shell's method. My hair can't get enough conditioner :heart:

psvzum
June 26th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Curly/wavy here : ) I need to wet my hair every morning to look human again. I've tried Aveda Curl Enhancing Cream and it weighed my hair down. I have to use a gel in order to enhance my curls. My daughters have wavy hair - less curly than me - and they like how mousse builds their curls. It's a matter of what works for you.

Katze
June 27th, 2008, 02:33 AM
hm, mine is the opposite - wavier the longer I go without washing. As I write this, I'm on day 4, with crown waves above (this NEVER happens on clean hair) and big spirals below :confused:

Maybe it's a F vs C hair thing?

I do find that misting, scrunching, and oiling (never oil on dry hair, but I do *lightly* oil after misting) helps encourage more waves. The great thing about misting is that it's almost impossible to overdo it, whereas oiling makes me greasy really fast.

Are you using 'cones? I found that 'cones made my hair almost straight...

Mrs_Zombie
June 27th, 2008, 12:06 PM
No, no cones. But you're probably right about the Coarse vs Fine hair thing. Amazingly enough, i just woke up not too long ago and my hair is still wavy!! :cheese:

i don't know what i did differently though :p