PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question: Aloe Gel?

mallorykay13
August 1st, 2011, 06:58 PM
I see on the "product I can't live without" thread some people put aloe on there.. What the heck do they use it for?? So confused. :cheese:

Cainwen
August 1st, 2011, 07:00 PM
Its used in SMTs, and I think some people use it to keep their hair from getting frizzy. But I know it shows up a lot in moisturizing concoctions. More than that I do not know. Really good if your hair gets sunburned :p ?

goldenmoments
August 1st, 2011, 07:04 PM
Aloe is a humectant, that's why its used in so many moisture treatments here on LHC

It's also the gel of choice for the curly girl method

Welcome to LHC!

AlexiaBlue
August 1st, 2011, 07:08 PM
I have curly hair, and I scrunch it in my hair to bring out my curls instead of using hair gel.

Also, the Aloe Vera Gel that most use in this forum isn't the gel sold as an "after sun" treatment that you can find next to the sun-tan lotion in your local drug store. It's the kind sold as a dietary supplement. So, there's a big difference. :D

Sundial
August 1st, 2011, 07:14 PM
I also use it as an alternative to mousse when I set my fringe in velcro rollers :p It's less sticky and has good hold

Zesty
August 1st, 2011, 08:21 PM
I use a bit on damp hands to smooth down frizzies. It works kind of like gel, but is less unpleasant.

whitestiletto
August 1st, 2011, 09:02 PM
I mix it with my conditioner and it makes my hair slippery. I bought mine at Trader Joes, I think it's for sunburn but there's not really anything in it besides aloe that would be bad for hair.

archel
August 1st, 2011, 09:50 PM
I love using it as a hair gel, gives me great waves/wurls with no frizz and no crunch like from commercial hair gels.

Yozhik
August 1st, 2011, 09:57 PM
Goldenmoments said what I was going to. :)

I also wanted to add that as a humectant, you should be aware of the humidity (or lack thereof) in the place you live, because it can either take moisture from the air and put it in your hair (which happens where I live in muggy Virginia), or suck moisture from your hair into the air if you're in a dry environment.

Personally, I use aloe vera mixed with some coconut oil and put it on my ends after I wash my hair. It gives me defined curls and I like to think my ends are more healthy and less crunchy afterwards. :)

Blond On Blond
August 1st, 2011, 10:52 PM
I mix mine with oil as this makes the tiny amount of oil I use easier to distribute evenly throughout hair. For the same reason, I mix it with serum too.
And of course, for SMT :D

GRU
August 2nd, 2011, 08:44 AM
Also, the Aloe Vera Gel that most use in this forum isn't the gel sold as an "after sun" treatment that you can find next to the sun-tan lotion in your local drug store. It's the kind sold as a dietary supplement. So, there's a big difference. :D

Actually, the majority of folks I've seen use the clear Fruit of the Earth brand of aloe (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-Of-The-Earth-Aloe-Vera-Gel-12-oz/10314797), which is sold with the hand lotions. While this is different from the green-tinted (http://www.walmart.com/ip/After-Sun-Aloe-Vera-Cooling-Gel/14122657) "after-sun" stuff that has lidocaine in it for pain relief, it most definitely is NOT sold as a dietary supplement.

Sweet Beat
August 2nd, 2011, 08:55 AM
Might Aloe Vera juice work? I have some in the fridge that contains 99 % Aloe juice + citric acid and extract from Camomille. Anyone tried?

CurlyMopTop
August 2nd, 2011, 09:38 AM
Actually, the majority of folks I've seen use the clear Fruit of the Earth brand of aloe (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-Of-The-Earth-Aloe-Vera-Gel-12-oz/10314797), which is sold with the hand lotions. While this is different from the green-tinted (http://www.walmart.com/ip/After-Sun-Aloe-Vera-Cooling-Gel/14122657) "after-sun" stuff that has lidocaine in it for pain relief, it most definitely is NOT sold as a dietary supplement.

Thanks Gru for clearing that up. That's what I use but have noticed that a few people on the boards indicated that it was somehow different than what you could buy at a health food store. It was beginning to confuse me. I couldn't understand what the difference was. I absolutely love the stuff and it's much cheaper! :p

PinkyCat
August 2nd, 2011, 09:52 AM
I have very fine, protein-hungry curls - and I'm bummed to say that my hair absolutely detests aloe! I truly wanted to like it, but it made my hair freak out:(. I did a protein treatment & it's back to normal. I used the J/A/S/O/N kind - I ended up giving the two tubes I bought away. Oh well. Live and learn.

AlexiaBlue
August 2nd, 2011, 10:12 AM
Ahhh, I had no idea! Newbie mistake. :) I'll have to give that type a try after I use up my dietary supp AVG. I do like what it's done for my hair though, so it'll be interesting to see if there is any difference.

Thanks again for the heads up!

GRU
August 2nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
Thanks Gru for clearing that up. That's what I use but have noticed that a few people on the boards indicated that it was somehow different than what you could buy at a health food store. It was beginning to confuse me. I couldn't understand what the difference was. I absolutely love the stuff and it's much cheaper! :p

I think the confusion comes from the fact that people automatically think of the green-tinted "medicated" stuff, which seems to be the only kind that's readily available. And you most definitely do NOT want to use that stuff!

I know the only place in my town that I've found the blue-lidded FOTE kind is at Walmart, and then it's not in with the sun-care items (where the green stuff is all readily visible at waist level) -- I always find it on the very bottom shelf, off in some obscure section of the hand lotion stuff (if it helps others, look for the Corn Husker's Lotion, Bag Balm, and other "weird" things -- it's always in that same section).

Ahhh, I had no idea! Newbie mistake. :) I'll have to give that type a try after I use up my dietary supp AVG. I do like what it's done for my hair though, so it'll be interesting to see if there is any difference.

Thanks again for the heads up!

You're welcome! I got the dietary stuff from my local health food store when I first joined here, b/c as I stated above, it's VERY hard to find the "clear" FOTE stuff if you don't know the super-secret-hiding-spot. :rolleyes:

I much prefer the FOTE -- it doesn't need to be refrigerated, and it has a much smoother consistency compared to the diet stuff I found. And, like CurlyMopTop said, it's cheaper! :thumbsup: