PDA

View Full Version : My hair takes forever to dry..

Bambi
August 1st, 2011, 04:39 PM
Hi everybody!
As the topic suggests my hair takes fooooorever to dry...it has always been like this, especially when I was younger, pre-salon if you get what I mean;).

Do anyone of you darling souls have any recommendations on what to do? Or shall I just let it be?

TIA:poot:

Carriegirl
August 1st, 2011, 04:59 PM
That must be frustrating when you need to go somewhere and refuse to use a blow-drier. I don't use one either, but my hair dries fast. I run my hands through it and fluff it a little when it's just damp/close to dry to get more air in it and fluff it up. I wish I had better suggestions for you. Some hair just takes a while. (I forgot to look at your thickness level, but I'm guessing it's pretty thick).

Avital88
August 1st, 2011, 05:31 PM
uhm there is not a lot to do about i think..
Mine takes time too, around 3 in winter in summer 1, if its really hot might take 30min though.

archel
August 1st, 2011, 05:40 PM
I have found that argan oil helps mine dry a little faster. Other than that though, all I can do is just wait!

gthlvrmx
August 1st, 2011, 05:42 PM
Normally a fan would suffice (just dont let your hair get near it) or i take a walk in the sun, the sun and the breeze help me dry it in around 20 min.

Cainwen
August 1st, 2011, 05:46 PM
Do you let something like a towel wick away some of the moisture first? My hair is taking less time to dry now than it used to now that it is cone, etc free, but it still takes about 2-3 hours in the summer (though it is fairly humid here). I agree with Carriegirl about the fluffing though

Cowgirl16
August 1st, 2011, 05:46 PM
Before my "big shed" my hair always took forever to dry too. I had always thought that it was because of the thickness and the "health" of my hair. I used to fluff it alot to help it dry faster.
Now its thinner and doesn't take nearly the time to dry that it used to :(

aliceinmadness
August 1st, 2011, 06:24 PM
Microfiber or other super absorbent towel + oil + cool/tepid blowdryer. I will use a dryer if I'm in a hurry, but my little el cheapo baby has a "low" setting on it that basically runs whatever the room temp is, maybe slightly warmer. A little breeze isn't going to hurt your follicles, and it's more efficient than sitting in front of a room fan.

MissManda
August 1st, 2011, 06:39 PM
I sympathize. :blossom: My hair takes several hours to dry if I leave it loose and even longer if I put it up wet/damp.

What I find helps me is when I first get out of the shower, I gently squeeze the excess water out, making sure to divide my hair into quarters. Then I either leave it alone or put it up in a towel from several minutes to an hour depending on what I'm doing that day.

Once my hair is no longer sopping wet, I either leave it alone because it looks nicer when I don't touch it while it dries, or if I need to be somewhere, I use my Tangle Teezer, fingers, or my afro pick to gently detangle. Detangling when my hair is damp separates the individual strands (it sits in a big fat clump when left alone) and allows the air to get to more of my hair, so it speeds up dry time. I only detangle like that if I'm going to put my hair up, though, because it just makes my hair flat, flat, flat otherwise.

I know some will not agree with this, but I also like to sit near a heater in wintertime. That way I don't have to put up with cold, wet hair in yucky weather for as long.

I hope that was helpful!

jacqueline101
August 1st, 2011, 06:46 PM
My hair dries at a medium pace its not fast but its not slow unless its humid. Then it takes forever. I found if you fluff it will dry faster then if you leave it flat.

Zesty
August 1st, 2011, 07:27 PM
My hair dries pretty slowly, too. I usually have the leisure to sit around and let it air dry for several hours, but what helps me speed it up is moving it around after it's been in a towel for 10-15 minutes. Basically, playing with it. I separate the octopus tentacles that form, move my part around, run my hands through it. I get more volume this way, and it almost makes it feel like it's been blown dry.

MissManda
August 1st, 2011, 07:32 PM
Oh, other things that I like to do are shower in the evening or to let my hair down after having it in a damp updo all day, toss it over my pillow and let it dry overnight. That way it dries with nice body and volume and I don't have to worry about it because I'm asleep.

I wil admit that when my hair doing it's own thing, it doesn't tangle much, so this technique might not work for some.

pink.sara
August 2nd, 2011, 12:49 AM
It is a pain when your hair just won't dry. Even on a hot day with a breeze mine will take a few hours and in the winter I have still had wet bits 6-7 hours after a shower :( I second agitating it as it dries, I have to split the clumps up into smaller strands and lift it constantly to make it dry faster.
Unfortunately, whipping you hair around and fluffing it all night tends to irritate whoever you're sat with so my SO insists I just go dry it!
I can't sleep with it wet either as it will keep me awake, perhaps if you don't mind this you could always wash at night?!
Unfortunately as a very thick iii I resort to the hairdryer on a warm setting in winter.

darklyndsea
August 2nd, 2011, 02:24 AM
I finally timed how long it takes for my hair to dry tonight...it's been five and a half hours since I got out of the shower, and my hair is almost entirely dry. Yeah, there's a reason I don't shower in the morning or braid my hair when it's damp.

Bambi
August 2nd, 2011, 02:38 AM
Thank you so much for your answers! It feels comforting to know that I am not alone:) As a wurly(2b-2c and I can scrunch it up to 3a) I try to avoid towels but maybe I'll give it a go once again. My hair condition is improving all the time since I came here so maybe some it won't hurt to use towels.
My washing regime is as follows: I CO once a week( maybe 2 if needed) and I use an organic conditioner with Aloe Vera from Urtekram and rinse 2 times(should I rinse a third?) and then I rinse with ACV. When out of the shower I put either Jojoba- or coconut oil in the ends. Once my hair is finally dry it is so smooth and soft(if you compare to earlier). I am trying to go "au naturale " with as much as I can and have bid the salon good bye, and it feels great.
Thank you so much!

C.H.
August 2nd, 2011, 02:49 AM
I can sympathize with you. My hair typically takes 6-8 hours to dry. Basically, it's an all day affair no matter what I do. I'm seriously considering at least helping the process along with a diffuser on low. How bad can that really be for my hair, compared to spending a large percentage of my life with wet hair?

C.H.
August 2nd, 2011, 02:52 AM
Thank you so much for your answers! It feels comforting to know that I am not alone:) As a wurly(2b-2c and I can scrunch it up to 3a) I try to avoid towels but maybe I'll give it a go once again. My hair condition is improving all the time since I came here so maybe some it won't hurt to use towels.
My washing regime is as follows: I CO once a week( maybe 2 if needed) and I use an organic conditioner with Aloe Vera from Urtekram and rinse 2 times(should I rinse a third?) and then I rinse with ACV. When out of the shower I put either Jojoba- or coconut oil in the ends. Once my hair is finally dry it is so smooth and soft(if you compare to earlier). I am trying to go "au naturale " with as much as I can and have bid the salon good bye, and it feels great.
Thank you so much!

You don't ever want to use regular towels if you can help it. However if you use a smooth fabric, like microfiber, or even a t-shirt you can squeeze/scrunch all the excess liquid away without causing damage or frizz.

Bambi
August 2nd, 2011, 03:20 AM
I will definately try that:eyebrows:!

Alaia
August 2nd, 2011, 03:46 AM
Mine also takes 6-8 hours to dry. Sometimes longer.

I use a microfibre turbie to draw some of the moisture out, and then just leave it to dry overnight (there is a reason I wash in the evening!). Sometimes it is still wet in the morning, but that's usually only in very cold weather.

Miss Maisie
August 2nd, 2011, 10:33 AM
My hair takes forever to dry, and it's only at shoulder length. I'm trying to let it air dry as much as possible, but it's frustrating.

longcurlygirl<3
August 2nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
My hair has been drying very fast lately? Probably from the heat. Just step outside and see if there is a difference. :D

Bambi
August 2nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
My hair takes forever to dry, and it's only at shoulder length. I'm trying to let it air dry as much as possible, but it's frustrating.

My hair is 2-3 centimeters below the collar bone, what do you call that lenght? Sorry but I am new:)

It is dry now he he:cheese:

BlazingHeart
August 2nd, 2011, 02:20 PM
That would be shoulder length.

I have thick, thick hair that takes forever to dry - 4 hours if it's hot and dry out and I'm in the sun.

I posted a thread a while ago about trying to dry hair faster without damaging it, and Madora linked to a description of how she speeds her hair drying. Maybe it will be useful to you? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1649896#post1649896

For me, I pat my hair dry with a towel, and then use a turbie twist, let it set 15-20 minutes, put on a new turbie twist, let it set 15-20 minutes, and use a third turbie twist for 20-30 minutes, then I take my hair down and fan it out to dry. That cuts my drying time in half, if not making it shorter than that. I can't do Madora's technique because of old shoulder injuries, so I can't speak for how well it works, but she's been a longhair for a long time.

~Blaze

Bambi
August 3rd, 2011, 12:55 AM
^Thank you!

IanB
August 3rd, 2011, 08:29 AM
Mine takes about 2 hours in the Summer and up to three hours in the Winter, but I wouldn't consider any "unautural" heat. I often go out with it still a bit damp, and finger comb along the way!

Bambi
August 3rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
It really worked with a t-shirt, so happy because I normally wash in the evening so it is hard to avoid to sleep with damp hair.
Once again thank you so much for your concern!