PDA

View Full Version : Help with ingredients, please?

Narya
August 1st, 2011, 02:02 PM
I've searched for a while for a while for a comprehensive ingredients list so I could check my products with it, with no luck. Maybe there is none, or maybe I'm just not finding it. Anyway, I'd really like to know if there's any hidden "nastiness" or "goodness" in those two conditioners I purchased the other day. I've already checked for cones, and as far as I know the first doesn't have any and the second does, but I'm not so sure about the rest of my analysis.

Would be so kind to tell me if I am wrong with my conclusions and if you can spot something else worth knowing it's there?

I'll color code the ingredient lists with what I think I know in this way: Cones, Proteins, Alcohols, and the stuff I don't know if it fits in any of the other categories in what I think is Non-worrying stuff, Doesn't sound nice and some left as normal because I really don't know at all.

Bear in mind that I might not even get one right :rolleyes:

Conditioner 1:
Ingredients: Aqua, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Isopropyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, Citric Acid, Lactose, Lactis Proteinum, Parfum, Hexyl Cinnamaldehyde, Citronellol, D-Limonene, 2-/4-Tert-Butylbenzyl)propionaldehyde, Linalool

Conditioner 2:
Ingredients: Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Amodimethicone, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Trideceth-12, Cetyl Esters, Tetrasodium EDTA, PEG-8, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Sodium Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Bambusa Arundinacea Leaf Extract, Glycerin, Hydrolized Pearl, Xantham Gum, CI 19140, CI 42090, Parfum, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Citronellol, Linalool

TIA!

whitestiletto
August 1st, 2011, 02:08 PM
Im also curious, are parabens "bad"? They're in all my conditioners as the last ingredient and I don't know what they are.

Narya
August 1st, 2011, 02:10 PM
Im also curious, are parabens "bad"? They're in all my conditioners as the last ingredient and I don't know what they are.

I have no idea, even though I remember seeing them discussed somewhere. Let's learn together! :cheese:;)

FluffSpider
August 1st, 2011, 02:18 PM
behemtrimonium/cetrimonium chloride are agents which facilitate detangling the hair.Limonene is a scent thingie, extracted from lemons.parabens are liked to certain types of cancer;they are preservatives.
Why red on the EDTA? they are chelating agents. :p

Anje
August 1st, 2011, 02:22 PM
Cetearyl Alcohol is moisturizing, even if it does have "alcohol" in the name. Cetyl esters are going to be similar.

Glycerin is moisturizing. It's humectant, so some people struggle with it if they live in arid climates, but it's usually good for hair.

Behentrimonium Chloride and Cetrimonium Chloride are cationic surfactants. These add slip to hair, help CO washing work, and are generally nice.

Tetrasodium EDTA (and other amounts of sodium ETDA) is a chelating agent, used to bind up stray ions or hardness in the water that they used to make the conditioner.

Hydroxyethylcellulose, PEG with a number after it, and Xanthum gum are thickers or emulsifiers. No harm per se (though I'm confused why cellulose is a #2 ingredient).

Neither of them looks particularly bad. Conditioner 1 has isopropyl alcohol, which is a bit drying and I'm not quite sure why it's there. Conditioner 2 is pretty silicone-y given that the #3 ingredient is a cone, but otherwise looks like good stuff.

Gulbahar
August 1st, 2011, 02:31 PM
Parabens are preservatives which you need in every cosmetic product that contains water. There are other preservatives of course, but parabens are the most widespread. They are "bad" because they can irritate the skin and especially because they have been found in women's breast tissue and have been linked to breast cancer. There are several studies about this.
Many people avoid parabens because of this. I don't although otherwise I am really careful what I put on my skin. But somehow I can't be bothered in this case.

Narya
August 1st, 2011, 02:56 PM
FluffSpider, I have to admit that the red on the EDTA is because generally all those acronyms/abbreviations/codes sound to me like there's something to hide there. My paranoia gets even worse when there's numbers in the combination!

Thank you all for the answers! It's good to know that some things that looked bad to me aren't. I'll have to learn not to rely on how the name of the ingredient sounds to me to judge it. I'm also relieved to hear I did not buy monster conditioners that would probably kill my hair if given the chance :lol:

Thank you again

aliceinmadness
August 1st, 2011, 02:59 PM
Parfum, Hexyl Cinnamaldehyde, Citronellol, D-Limonene, 2-/4-Tert-Butylbenzyl)propionaldehyde, Linalool = all of these are synthesized aromatic compounds.

Xantham Gum = texture...it's actually edible and people who are allergic to gluten use it all the time.

CI 19140, CI 42090 = dyes, I'm pretty sure.

Tocopherol = vitamin E
Ascorbyl Palmitate ,Sodium Ascorbyl Palmitate =vitamin C

Propylene Glycol = solvent/preservative/emollient
Diazolidinyl Urea = preservative
Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate = preservative

Alpha Isomethyl Ionone = fragrance

whitestiletto
August 1st, 2011, 03:11 PM
Well with a name like ethylenediaminetriacetic acid, you'd probably abbreviate too ;)

Eilliania
August 1st, 2011, 03:22 PM
Could you please comment ingredients of my conditioner as well, please?

Water, cetearyl alcohol, elaeis guineensis oil/palm oil, behentrimonium chloride, ci 15985, ci 19140, stearamidopropyl dimethylamin, chlorehexidine dihydrochloride, avocado oil, citric acid, shea butter, hexyl cinnamal, glycerin, frangnance.

Do you think it's any good?

Thank you. :)

Anje
August 1st, 2011, 05:12 PM
Looks pretty good, other than I don't actually know what those CI ones are. Chlorhexidine is one of the preservatives, so you can probably ignore everything that comes after it.

Eilliania
August 2nd, 2011, 03:06 AM
Thank you, Anje. :)

Celtic Morla
August 2nd, 2011, 08:34 AM
D Limnene is a flea killer it is pretty drying in flea shampoos and has been linked to some health issues in groomers. Propylen Glycol is the "safe" coolant they use in AC now it is a lubricant, its in a lot of thigns now including our food (to keep it "soft/moist) All I know is I have seen some dogs get reallly bad diarhea if its in their treats(we checked 5 treats a dog was reacting to and PG was in all of them so we assumed that was the cause)

Anje
August 2nd, 2011, 10:15 AM
All I know is I have seen some dogs get reallly bad diarhea if its in their treats(we checked 5 treats a dog was reacting to and PG was in all of them so we assumed that was the cause)
Was that propylene glycol or polyethylene glycol? Polyethylene glycol (PEG) is a fun polymer, not very reactive, useful for a lot of stuff. I sometimes use it to concentrate bacteriophage.... Comes in a lot of different molecular weights depending on what it's being used for. One of its uses is that it's the active (and only) ingredient in the laxative Miralax.

FluffSpider
August 2nd, 2011, 01:23 PM
Water, cetearyl alcohol, elaeis guineensis oil/palm oil, behentrimonium chloride, ci 15985, ci 19140, stearamidopropyl dimethylamin, chlorehexidine dihydrochloride, avocado oil, citric acid, shea butter, hexyl cinnamal, glycerin, frangnance.

-Cetearyl alcohol is a conditioning alcohol
-palm oil/avocado oil/shea butter-self explanatory
-Behentrimonium chloride- helps with detangling, adding slip, good for CO
-CI's are colorants as far as I know
-Citric acid you can find in lemons, I guess it's good for closing the shaft and reestablishing normal pH in(well, on, really) the hair.
-Glycerin is a humectant, BUT as far as I know, it acts as a barrier-it can be used in eyeshadow and face primers so as the sebum doesn't get mixed with the product over the primer, and crease. it's basically the miracle touch in Urban Decay Primer potion(which is silicones and glycerin, really)
This is all I could come up with. Hope it helps!