PDA

View Full Version : brush recommendations

archel
August 1st, 2011, 12:54 PM
Ok, I have decided that if I get the job I'm interviewing for (in one hour!), I'm going to treat myself to some nice brushes. I am not yet to the point of getting a Mason Pearson, but I would like to get some Denman pieces. I am looking at the natural bristle brush that has a little nylon mixed in to get through all this hair. I'm also looking at the plastic bristle styling brush for detangling.

Have you guys used these brushes? Are they good?

Last question - I sometimes really like a large paddle brush, but I think the Conair brush that I have is probably not the most superior in quality. Can you guys recommend a paddle brush that doesn't have seams on the bristles or separate balls on the tips (all one piece would be less damaging, I think).

Wait, that wasn't the last question - should I order brushes online or would Sally's have a decent selection? Target and the drug stores pretty much have crap for selection! Well, aside from the Scunci BBB I got, which seems to be ok.

Cardinal
August 1st, 2011, 02:12 PM
Check your local Sallys, I bought two BBB brushes there, one is a paddle and the other is a real stiff BBB. I like both, for different stuff.

Madora
August 1st, 2011, 08:29 PM
Please, if you love your hair, detangle it with a wide tooth COMB!

A brush is not a detangler!

Also, avoid plastic or nylon brushes if at all possible.

The kindest brush for your hair is a pure boar bristle brush. The bristles are the closest in structure to that of your own hair structure.

Brushing with a bbb will exercise the hair follicles, help remove dirt and lint from your hair, distribute the natural sebum down the length of your strands, and impart shine and softness over time.

Before you buy that brush, be sure to check for:

1) Bristle stiffness. Brushes vary in bristle stiffness. The stiffness will decrease with usage.

2) Bristle length - some brushes have longer, thicker bristles than others.

3) Number of rows of bristles - a good brush should have at least 6 rows of bristles

4) Comfort - How does the brush feel when you hold it?

5) Contour - a bbb should lay FLAT when placed on its back. A rounded brush is meant for short hair only!

The ultimate beauty and condition of your hair depends on HOW you use the brush!

Always detangle with a wide tooth comb FIRST before brushing!

Detangling is not a question of just running the comb thru the hair! To preserve your hair and keep damage at a minimum, detangle gently, i.e.

1) Take a SMALL, THIN, section of hair, and starting at the ends, gently comb up a few inches. Then comb up a few more inches, and so on until you reach the scalp.

2) Continue thusly until all the hair has been detangled. Then you are ready for the brush.

The number of strokes you use is a matter of personal preference. Just remember to be consistent and do the same number of strokes per day. Also, start out slowly with 10 strokes per day, and GRADUALLY work towards your goal. This allows your hair follices a little extra lee way to become accustomed to the new routine.

Be sure and follow each motion of the brush with the palm of your other hand. This cuts down on static made by brushing.

If you brush in the bent at the waist position, you'll have the added benefit of more blood circulating around the roots during the brushing.

In order to get the most from your bbb, it should be kept squeaky clean and washed frequently.

archel
August 1st, 2011, 08:36 PM
Hmmmm well I do use a wide tooth comb for actual detangling after a shower or when first waking up and taking my hair out of the braid. I just mean that I like an actual BBB for smoothing and then I also like another brush that gets through the hair better, as well. I am totally ditching the nylon paddle brush I have. I love the BBB I have but I think one with stiffer bristles would get through my hair better. I wish I could splurge on a Mason Pearson. I do at least have 2 wooden wide tooth combs on the way so I can toss the plastic shower comb. Yay! I'd rather have one nice brush and comb than all the plastic ball-tipped cheapo brushes in the world.

Thanks for the tips, folks!

PolythenePam
August 1st, 2011, 08:45 PM
If you're interested in a BBB that's cruelty free you can check out

http://www.amazon.com/Ambassador-Hairbrush-Oval-Oak-Handle/dp/B000OLCM4W

whitestiletto
August 1st, 2011, 08:46 PM
I just started using a BBB and i LOVE it. To get through all of my hair, I put the top half up to brush the bottom half. This way I can get through to the scalp. Then I put it all down and brush the top. I find the sectioning is totally worthwhile for the benefits. Madora, you have a convert :)

archel
August 1st, 2011, 08:52 PM
Polyethelenepam - that's a good price! Totally just put this on my Amazon wishlist. Thanks!!

archel
August 1st, 2011, 08:53 PM
One other question - I'm washing my BBB about every 3 days with clarifying shampoo - is that too harsh or just right? Thanks, all!

MamaCimino
August 1st, 2011, 08:57 PM
I just bought one from sally's and I love it. It was about $7.00, I think it is called hot and silky. I didn't buy the paddle style but there was one available. I also bought one from target that has a nylon center bristle and I don't like it at all. I didn't realize it at the time but the boar hair bristles have been coming out, not sure I can return it since I have used it... And that one was $10.

Melon Collie
August 1st, 2011, 09:26 PM
I use a Goody BBB and for the price (under $10), I'm impressed.

I wash my brush in the same shampoo I use for regular washings. I wash it every two days.

Chamy
August 2nd, 2011, 02:28 AM
I have one word: Tangle Teezer. Ok, two words, but its totally worth it. :D