PDA

View Full Version : Hair thinning at crown - Head&Shoulders??!

beauty
August 1st, 2011, 03:48 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have recently been experiencing a problem...

I've always had long, reasonably thick hair and have never really had any problems. A couple of months ago I decided I would buy Head & Shoulders for a change, I'd never used it before but read something in a magazine about it making hair really shiny. I don't have any dandruff so thinking back it was a little random..

I used it for about a month and was really pleased with the results, it made my hair so shiny and it also felt cleaner than ever. Then everything came went wrong when I noticed a kind of white patch at the crown of my head. My first thoughts were that my dark hair was greying (I'm 25 years old) however on closer inspection I realised the patch was my parting extending down the back of my hair making a bald looking area. To begin with I had no idea what had caused it, then I realised that the only thing I had changed was my shampoo so I immediately stopped using it.

I've since been on a mission to get rid of the parting/patch so I've been taking Biotin & Vitamin B complex supplement, leaving my hair to dry naturally rather than using a hair dryer and using deep conditioning treatments twice a week. I'm not seeing any major results but it also isn't getting any worse.
I just wondered if anyone here has experienced anything similar? And do you think I'm correct in blaming Head&Shoulders or could it just be coincidence?

Thanks in advance : )

FluffSpider
August 1st, 2011, 03:54 AM
Have there been any stressful occurances in your life? I don't think H&S gave you a bald patch, though having squeaky-clean hair is BAD idea. it might have weakened it to the point where those are just broken hairs, not an actual bald patch. What I can say is that H&S is a no-no for me. While is gives great results to a number of people, it made my hair VERY dry and crunchy and tangly and generally not happy.

Madora
August 1st, 2011, 07:26 AM
It is hard to tell w/o a photo of the area. Do you wear ponytails a lot?

I wouldn't blame it on the Head and Shoulders, though.

Perhaps it might be best to consult a trichologist (hair doctor) and see what he suggests? Good luck!

princessp
August 1st, 2011, 01:35 PM
Gosh I'm sorry you are going through this. Maybe try massaging some castor oil on the spot? Castor oil definitely helped my hair grow faster (but I never applied to a bald spot). I would point to stress as being a more likely candidate for this than the H&S too.

spidermom
August 1st, 2011, 01:39 PM
A lot of people have a part that extends over the crown of the head to the back, and it can look like a bald patch if you don't realize what's really going on. Maybe you have this but didn't notice before.

Slinks
August 1st, 2011, 03:05 PM
A lot of people have a part that extends over the crown of the head to the back, and it can look like a bald patch if you don't realize what's really going on. Maybe you have this but didn't notice before.

I was going to mention this too .. check out my siggy pic in the blue .. it's a natural fall of my hair that extends from the part .. it's part of the crown, if your hair looks like this then that is what it is .. I have this 'parting' in my up-dos too :rolleyes:

shikara
August 2nd, 2011, 12:22 AM
Not that everyone reacts the same to everything, but I have used H&S for years with no problems. I also have (had?) my part that extended down the back a bit (hehe I never noticed it before because I would just put my hair in a single braid, check it from the front and side and off I'd go. One day not so very long ago, I happened to look at the back of my head with a mirror and was horrified!! As I gave it much thought, I realized that the way I used to brush my hair pretty much coincided with that part and probably contributed a lot to it. I started massaging extra there and combing it against the 'fall'. Hope you find your answer.

Jeno86
August 2nd, 2011, 12:41 AM
I'd be careful with Head & Shoulders. My mother's mother (I refuse to give that woman her "title") used it for a few months and it made her hair fall out pretty badly. Once she stopped using it, it grew back and she hasn't had anything like that happen since.

beauty
August 2nd, 2011, 06:47 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for the replies!

I got my boyfriend to have a close look at it last night and he has confirmed that it definitely isnt what he would describe as a bald patch but more the parting extending further down my head.

I must admit I have never paid that much attention to the back of my head (until now!) but I'm quite certain this parting wasn't there before so it seems so odd! And when I try to comb over my hair to cover it there just doesnt seem to be enough hair there! Whereas the hair at the front of my head is thick...

I wondered if the thinning at the back and the appearance of the parting might be partly related to how I am doing my hair every night at the gym. I used to just tie it in a high ponytail but because of the heat I started pinning it all up at the crown to get it completely off my neck & back...could this be damaging my hair doing this 5 nights a week?

Thanks again xx

Slinks
August 2nd, 2011, 06:27 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for the replies!

I got my boyfriend to have a close look at it last night and he has confirmed that it definitely isnt what he would describe as a bald patch but more the parting extending further down my head.

I must admit I have never paid that much attention to the back of my head (until now!) but I'm quite certain this parting wasn't there before so it seems so odd! And when I try to comb over my hair to cover it there just doesnt seem to be enough hair there! Whereas the hair at the front of my head is thick...

I wondered if the thinning at the back and the appearance of the parting might be partly related to how I am doing my hair every night at the gym. I used to just tie it in a high ponytail but because of the heat I started pinning it all up at the crown to get it completely off my neck & back...could this be damaging my hair doing this 5 nights a week?

Thanks again xx

lol :-) yeah we don't pay attention to the back of our heads untill we join LHC .. I thought it would be your crown .. this part of your hair, tho not thin, is indeed a "fall" parting, it's just the way your hair falls .. imagine how those with a double crown feel !! anyway I workout daily too, I wear my hair up in a bun with tiny little butterfly clips ..