PDA

View Full Version : Coffee and hairgrowth

Avital88
August 1st, 2011, 02:03 AM
Shalom Everyone!

I always used to be a tea drinker,mostly green tea, but since begin June i got hooked on coffee and then especially cappuccino.
I never drinked coffee before in my life and all of a sudden i drink at least 3 cups a day, i say at least because i usually end up with 4 or more.
Now i noticed because im dying my hair black, my hair is growing like weeds!
I dyed it 3 times and all the time i have 0.5inch in around 10 days.
Could the caffeine in the coffee be the growth trigger? or is it just summer growth?
I'm really curious to hear what other people think about coffee and faster growth and if anyone experienced anything alike?
I also lose wait while im not dieting at all at the moment, actually eating more than usual.
Whats going on? its like my whole body is in a faster mode or something.
i think its quite a bit odd.

Tell me what you think! x tia

Aveyronnaise
August 1st, 2011, 02:09 AM
I've gone on and off coffee a lot but I haven't noticed much change in my growth , the only thing that I have tried that has amped up my growth has been the heat , more exercise and castor oil .
I do looooooooooooooooove coffee though.

leslissocool
August 1st, 2011, 02:12 AM
My hair grows fast. I started to grow it when I got pregnant, cut off most of the damage. I went fro bsl to hip in under 3 years, with multiple trims.

I drink almost a pot of coffee a day :( it's pretty bad. I do have detox periods with no caffeine though, but I like live for coffee...

Avital88
August 1st, 2011, 02:16 AM
My hair grows fast. I started to grow it when I got pregnant, cut off most of the damage. I went fro bsl to hip in under 3 years, with multiple trims.

I drink almost a pot of coffee a day :( it's pretty bad. I do have detox periods with no caffeine though, but I like live for coffee...

Yes its pretty bad how addictive it is, my mum was quite mad with me for starting it and is affraid i will end up like her, a coffee and sigaret addict.
haha well the last ist my thing, but if coffee really makes it growing faster i like it even more.
Your hair grows fast btw!

fashionaddict
August 1st, 2011, 02:27 AM
I drink a lot of coffee and I must say, that I have not noticed the benefits.:( More so, coffee actually takes out a lot of calcium from our bodies so I opt for Ca supplements for the period(s) of time I drink a lot of coffee (say, more than 2 mugs). Last summer I got a huge growth boost so I think it could be that what is making your hair "grow like weed". Whatever it is, enjoy it while it lasts.:D

kidari
August 1st, 2011, 02:31 AM
Interesting. I don't know if it's related but in general my hair grows pretty fast and I have always loved coffee. It could also be that hair tends to grow faster in the summer. I dye my roots every month but when my hair grows faster than normal, I have to touch up my roots twice in one month!

Joliebaby
August 1st, 2011, 02:36 AM
I've read multiple times that caffeine SLOWS hair growth, which is one of the reasons I've tried to stop drinking coffee. and even stopped, but started drinking it again. It's too addictive LOL! I'm so tired all the time that I really need the boost, although it's short-lived... I drink one or two lattes a day now, I used to drink much more when I was in school and such...

I'd be inclined to think it's a summer spurt too, but of course it's possible that your body would react to caffeine by amped metabolism and faster growth..

louise.gee
August 1st, 2011, 02:41 AM
My hair always grows much faster in the sun maybe you are experiencing the summer effect.

Avital88
August 1st, 2011, 03:04 AM
whaha maybe its just because im in love , sorry for the coffee though, i really hope its not slowing it down eventually.

christine1989
August 1st, 2011, 03:05 AM
I second summer growth. I've always been a huge coffee fan and granted, my hair grows pretty fast but when I stop drinking it the growth rate stays constant. Regardless of what is causing the growth, congrats on growing it longer faster! :)

Avital88
August 1st, 2011, 03:06 AM
I've read multiple times that caffeine SLOWS hair growth, which is one of the reasons I've tried to stop drinking coffee. and even stopped, but started drinking it again. It's too addictive LOL! I'm so tired all the time that I really need the boost, although it's short-lived... I drink one or two lattes a day now, I used to drink much more when I was in school and such...

I'd be inclined to think it's a summer spurt too, but of course it's possible that your body would react to caffeine by amped metabolism and faster growth..

Now you've scared me! i love my coffee, and i never thought it could slow it down.
Sometimes when i have had a good sleep(like more than 6hrs, insomnia shoot me)i notice in the morning my roots are much more visble too.
i have to do touch ups like every 10 days at the moment,but its too much effort. i love my black hair though

Avital88
August 1st, 2011, 03:08 AM
I second summer growth. I've always been a huge coffee fan and granted, my hair grows pretty fast but when I stop drinking it the growth rate stays constant. Regardless of what is causing the growth, congrats on growing it longer faster! :)

Thanks a lot! im really happy with it and hopefully i find out whats causing it so i can enjoy it as long as possible..classic length here i come:)

oktobergoud
August 1st, 2011, 03:57 AM
I like coffee as well and drink about 2/3 cups a day, but I honestly don't think it made my hair grow faster! It's probably summer heat.. I wish coffee would make it grow faster, I would drink a lot more coffee I think :P

long.hair.maybe
August 1st, 2011, 04:02 AM
I read that topical coffee/caffiene is supposed to promote hair growth. That's why Boots in the UK has some kind of hair spray with caffeine in it that's marketed towards people with hair loss. And there's Alpecin in Europe, which is similar.

SC
August 1st, 2011, 04:27 AM
^ Very good to know. And Avital88, I'm happy for you that coffee helps you to grow your hair, though it can be addictive :grnbiggri.

I've hated coffee for my whole life, but because it seems to have some hair grow fastening effects I might give it a try, but only if I get tired with tea. Drinking Rooibos Red Bush tea has helped my hair also, so I wouldn't think that coffee couldn't do the same.

fashionaddict
August 1st, 2011, 04:42 AM
whaha maybe its just because im in love , sorry for the coffee though, i really hope its not slowing it down eventually.

:D Hahahaa! Lucky you! Well, whatever it is - enjoy! And don't worry too much about the coffee, just take some supplements to ensure you are getting enough calcium and drink plenty of water (seeing as coffee takes out a lot of water also). God knows I could never give up coffee!:coffee:

Avvoltoio
August 1st, 2011, 05:13 AM
i am not noticed difference on hair growth by drinking coffee or not, i started to drink recently at my worklpace, more than a year ago, 1-3 cups/day.

Avital88
August 1st, 2011, 08:25 AM
:D Hahahaa! Lucky you! Well, whatever it is - enjoy! And don't worry too much about the coffee, just take some supplements to ensure you are getting enough calcium and drink plenty of water (seeing as coffee takes out a lot of water also). God knows I could never give up coffee!:coffee:

Then i at least found the reason why my skin is more dry:)
hmm i should switch back to green tea haha

Alaia
August 1st, 2011, 08:58 AM
I used to drink loads of coffee.

Recently it's started to affect me badly so I've stopped.

My hair is growing much faster now ;)

monroe
August 1st, 2011, 08:59 AM
My hair has always grown pretty fast and I have been drinking coffee since I was a teen, so maybe there is something. Who knows? Whatever works, so long as it doesn't rob your health some other way.

faerykitty13
August 1st, 2011, 09:11 AM
I have stopped drinking coffee because I read online that it makes you have cellulite problems. Has any one notice theres getting worse or better from drinking/or stop drinking coffee? Plus caffine makes it so your body stops absorbing vitamins for a full 24 hours after drinking?? Thats what I've read online I don't know if its true or not. But if it is wouldn't it stop your new hair growth from receiving vitamins? Just a thought.

denzelswifey86
August 1st, 2011, 09:28 AM
coffee lowers your iron levels that can trigger hair loss! this is the first time i hear that coffee can help with growth! i lost plenty of hair because i drank 5 mugs a day= very low iron levels ! it can cause other health problems if you drink alot of it too! one cup is not a problem ! and if you are starting to drink alot of it make sure you eat some greens to balance your iron levels!

misspriss
August 1st, 2011, 09:30 AM
I don't think it helps, or hurts. Or at least not for me. I hope it does though, or wish it does...I like coffee.

I used to drink caffinated sodas a lot, but I quit drinking those. Now I drink coffee. I hvave not noticed an uptake in growth, but I don't measure. I think it has been growing pretty fast though, but I'm growing from a pixie so I think that distorts my measurement of how fast it is growing.

Spring
August 1st, 2011, 11:38 AM
misspriss, congratulations on your upcoming wedding :)

I would definitely increase your water intake as coffee dehydrates the body and is bad for the kidneys. I had really good growth when I stopped drinking coffee for a year and a half, and when I started drinking coffee again, I didn't notice an increase of growth.

Avital88
August 1st, 2011, 11:39 AM
I have stopped drinking coffee because I read online that it makes you have cellulite problems. Has any one notice theres getting worse or better from drinking/or stop drinking coffee? Plus caffine makes it so your body stops absorbing vitamins for a full 24 hours after drinking?? Thats what I've read online I don't know if its true or not. But if it is wouldn't it stop your new hair growth from receiving vitamins? Just a thought.

This makes me want to drink a bit less of it.. i drink 5 mugs a day very easily,i used to be a water and green tea junkie, so it cant be benefitting my health in any way now i switched those for cappuccino.
I'm gonna try to keep it to 2 mugs a day and drink plenty of water.

sibylla
August 1st, 2011, 11:50 AM
Coffee grains is the best thing against cellulites.
I drink a lot of coffee and take 2 coffein tabletts a day.Looove my coffee.My friend is a heavy green tea drinker both of us have long strong hair.Drinking beer is good for your hair at least.hihi:beerchug:

archel
August 1st, 2011, 01:29 PM
If coffee made hair grow faster, I'd have hair to my ankles! I think mine grows so fast because I have to drink so much water to counteract all the coffee. Needless to say, I'm always in the loo...but my skin and hair are awesome! Drink your water, LHCers!

leslissocool
August 1st, 2011, 02:12 PM
Caffeine is awesome against cellulite. I lost a bunch of weight AND had twins, and I have none :) I exfoliate with used coffee grounds. I never thought of it for hair though.

However I'll be asking my doctor about the iron, I am terribly anemic and have to eat tons of protein (which helps my growth) but I'd like to stop all the crazy supplements I take...

Anyways both coffee and tea you must drink one cup of water extra for every cup of coffee or tea you drink. It dehydrates you, and tat can lead to slow hair growth and bunch of other problems.

Avital88
August 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM
Caffeine is awesome against cellulite. I lost a bunch of weight AND had twins, and I have none :) I exfoliate with used coffee grounds. I never thought of it for hair though.

However I'll be asking my doctor about the iron, I am terribly anemic and have to eat tons of protein (which helps my growth) but I'd like to stop all the crazy supplements I take...

Anyways both coffee and tea you must drink one cup of water extra for every cup of coffee or tea you drink. It dehydrates you, and tat can lead to slow hair growth and bunch of other problems.

Thanks for the information! i will drink some water straight away. its scary stuff, coffee:)

KittyLost
August 2nd, 2011, 11:26 AM
I used a caffiene shampoo, and I didn't notice any extra growth from it.

I posted my results in this thread.

http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=67103

DoubleCrowned
August 2nd, 2011, 08:54 PM
Coffee grains is the best thing against cellulites.
I drink a lot of coffee and take 2 coffein tabletts a day.Looove my coffee.My friend is a heavy green tea drinker both of us have long strong hair.Drinking beer is good for your hair at least.hihi:beerchug:

I knew a German lady who drank a lot of beer. She told me it was good for hair. I don't know if her hair grew fast, but it was jet black when she was very old. She said that she did not color it....

HintOfMint
August 3rd, 2011, 12:20 AM
whaha maybe its just because im in love

That'll do it:cloud9:

Mazel tov, dear.