PDA

View Full Version : Hair pins question

Lostsoule77
July 31st, 2011, 10:03 PM
I'm a lazy person and tend to only do easy hair styles. Whenever I do buns I keep them in with sticks. Well the hairstyle of the month was the cameo bun. I think it's really pretty and decided to wear it to a bridal shower today. Well this obviously needs pins to keep it up. When I tried it for the thread I just used the bobby pins that I have. I figured if I was going to wear it out that probably wouldn't hold well enough. So I bought these http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/lostsoule/IMG_3018.jpg The pin on the left is how they come out of the package and the ones on the right are how they came out of my hair. I used 6 of them (as opposed to the 4 bobby pins the other night) and they did not hold well at all. The bun stayed well with 3, but the braid came down once, and then kept loosening, with the other 3. I'm not sure if it's the pins fault or user error?

I was just wondering what everyone's favorite kind of pins are? I see talk floating around about spin pins and amish pins, etc. I'm just thinking that if I want to try all the pretty styles on here, that I've been avoiding, I need some decent pins.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

ancientriver
July 31st, 2011, 10:11 PM
I find with hair pins like that I always have to use what feels like hundreds to keep anything up. I do like Amish pins, though I've yet to try anything more complicated than a cinnamon bun with them.

excentricat
July 31st, 2011, 10:12 PM
I found that to keep hairpins like those in and make them useful, you squeeze them closed to put them in, then they will spring back open to the shape they come out of the package. If you put them in that way, they're useless. I can do the cameo bun with 4-5 pins in the cinnamon bun and 3-4 in the braid part and make it stay up. YMMV, depending on length and thickness.

Lostsoule77
July 31st, 2011, 10:24 PM
Excentricat, how do the catch the hair if they are closed going in? I will try increasing the numbers next time since I did already buy them. My hair is almost bcl, my sig is a current length shot, and I have a 4.25" circumfrance. I'm thinking the numbers you used might work for me as well though. The 3 in the cinnamon bun held just fine. It was only the braid that was giving me issues.

Sundial
July 31st, 2011, 10:38 PM
Excentricat, how do the catch the hair if they are closed going in? I will try increasing the numbers next time since I did already buy them. My hair is almost bcl, my sig is a current length shot, and I have a 4.25" circumfrance. I'm thinking the numbers you used might work for me as well though. The 3 in the cinnamon bun held just fine. It was only the braid that was giving me issues.

I think Excentricat meant to say that you squeeze the ends a little while inserting but it's not completely closed. I've seen this mentioned as a tip when people asked about how to use these crimped pins.

Personally, I had pins like these and I found them too flimsy for use. Like you, my pins always end up out of shape and they don't even really hold my hair. My hair spits them right out and my braids start sagging when I release my hold on it.

I prefer spin pins and bunhead pins. Spin pins do the same job for less. I only need 1-2 to get the updo to stay up and it feels really secure yet light. It's not a headache removing 2 pins as opposed to a thousand and one crimped pins later.

As for bunhead pins, they are useful for tucking in loose ends and they are so much sturdier compared to the regular pins. They are thicker and hold their shape well. And their curved shape means that they don't work themselves out of my hair that easily.

swetiepeti
July 31st, 2011, 11:11 PM
personally fond of goody spin pins, both regular and mini (they're shorter). For me, one spin pin is the equal to about 5 crimped bobby pins

Keepitgrowing29
August 1st, 2011, 12:00 AM
I've had these pins for years and am just figuring them out. I use to find them quite slippery. The trick is to weave them into you hair as you would a hair stick. Instead of sliding them in along the bun...you slide the pin in and loop back out and into the hair closest to your scalp...hope that helps.:)

darklyndsea
August 1st, 2011, 12:20 AM
Amish pins! I use them more or less the same way I use forks and sticks, except I use more of them.

Shell
August 1st, 2011, 12:53 AM
In my signature, I have a link to a little instructional article on how to use hairpins that you might find useful. :) My current favorite hairpins are Bunheads--in blonde of course. :D

Madora
August 1st, 2011, 08:40 AM
@Lostsoule77...

What size were those crimped pins? If they were small (2") then they are too small for the cameo bun. You need longer (3") crimped pins.

I've used crimped, long hairpins for decades and have had excellent results.

You just take one out of the package, spread it apart SLIGHTLY, then take your pin and follow Shell's directions as provided in her link.

HOWEVER, if you want that pin to stay in, just don't push the pin into the hair. Instead, weave the pin in an up and down motion, like you were sewing it into the bun.

Also, don't try to pin too much hair into one pin. The "sprung" pins in your picture illustrate that either 1) too much hair was put in the pin or 2) the pin was "sprung" too widely before it was used.

The hairpin is most effective when it is not completely "sprung" when you start to pin. There should be only a medium bit of space between each side of the pin. It should not be completely straight but slightly "sprung" (open).

If the pin is completely "sprung" when you begin the style, it will not hold properly, no matter how you insert it.

A longer pin will yield better results than a shorter one.

Hope this helps!

Laurenji
August 1st, 2011, 10:11 AM
I have exactly these kinds of pins, and I love them. As has been mentioned, they work best when you kind of "pinch" them a little as you put them in. Not so they're all the way closed, but so that the tines stay more parallel to each other as you're putting them in.

Also, as Madora said, they also work better if you use them like a mini hairstick--that is, weaving them up and down to catch hair from your bun and hair from your head, and then back up into the bun to hold it all together.

I also will bend them back into shape after I pull them out of my hair, since they don't always stay in shape, and I've found that they work best when the sides are straight and parallel.

I used to be able to put up a cinnamon bun with 3 of them, but now that my hair's a little longer, it takes about 4 or 5. But it holds like a rock all day.

Anje
August 1st, 2011, 01:31 PM
I tend to find that style pin to be too wimpy and flexible for me to have a secure hold. Something stiffer like an Amish pin works a lot better for me if I'm trying to get them to support any sort of weight. Putting them in so the wires are parallel will help stop those pins from doing the splits, though.

islandboo
August 1st, 2011, 03:28 PM
I love Amish pins - they hold wonderfully for me (and I like decorating them with sparklies).

Roseate
August 1st, 2011, 03:38 PM
I love the Amish pins, and Bunheads also work well for me. Before I knew about all these fancy specialty pins, I used the 3" "roller pins" (they look like giant bobby pins, but are more sturdy) that are pretty easy to find in drugstores and such. They do the job!

Lostsoule77
August 2nd, 2011, 12:11 AM
Thank you all for your answers. I did try to weave them and catch a bit of scalp hair. It worked well with the bun. I think I didn't do that quite as well with the braid though. They were indeed only 2" pins. I did not realize I should pinch them closed a bit before inserting them so I will try that next time.

I saw the roller pins when I got these, but thought they were a bit overkill. I've seen the spin pins in stores, the just look like they'd be a pain to put in & get out. I think I'll give these another try with all the tips you guys have given. If I still have troubles I'll get some bunhead & amish pins.

Thank you all so much!:D

AnqeIicDemise
August 2nd, 2011, 12:38 AM
I'm still having problems with the crimp pins. Maybe they're just too short for my hair? Its always hit or miss-- doesn't matter if I repeat the same thing.

I've tried putting them in like bobby pins, pinching, weaving, bending them into W shapes as I've seen others do. Less hair. More hair. In between braid sections. In the center of braid sections..

I just about gave them up.

But they feel so light, I *want* them to work.

kidari
August 2nd, 2011, 03:00 AM
I have the same issues with those pins, I only bought them once long time ago and I never use them. Spin pins didn't work on my hair, I think my layers and the fact that my hair is slippery or maybe I just didn't get the hang of it. Amish pins however are love! You don't need as many pins, they do the job well while being almost invisible, and they are very sturdy and easy to use. I have some in clear but I want to get more in black to match my hair color.

Lostsoule77
August 2nd, 2011, 06:14 AM
Where did you get them in clear and how do they look in your hair? I think I might like those. :)

pixi_stix
August 2nd, 2011, 08:48 AM
I've seen the spin pins in stores, the just look like they'd be a pain to put in & get out. I think I'll give these another try with all the tips you guys have given. If I still have troubles I'll get some bunhead & amish pins.

Thank you all so much!:D

I thought spin pins would be a pain to put in and take out. But I find they are easier than dealing with several bobby pins.

Angeletti
August 2nd, 2011, 09:14 AM
Crimp pins don't work for me, I've tried many different kinds of them but I think it has something to do with my hair being so silky and they just fall right out. I recently purchased extremely large bobby pins at Sally's and they work great, I just have to be careful not to get any hairs stuck in them when removing them. Spin pins are still on my list of things to try.

Anje
August 2nd, 2011, 09:23 AM
You know, there's one mistake lots of people make that I don't know was brought up here. With these U-shape pins, you don't try to cram hair between the two prongs with one above the other relative to your head (the way you use bobby pins). You treat them like mini hairforks. Both sides need to be close to your head, sitting near your head the way they rest on a table. Until I figured that out, the things were useless for me.

Does that help anyone?

chenille
August 2nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
The spin pins work like magic for me. There's a pic of me with the cameo bun in my album; it's held with two long spin pins. With your length & thickness you might want a couple more.

NativeGirl
August 2nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
I love spin pin's. I thought that they'd be a pain to remove, but it's so easy. They work better for me than bobby pins, and crimp pins. I could never get them to hold all of my fine and slippery hair, but I have no issues with the spin pin's.

Lostsoule77
August 5th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Anje I would've never thought of that. I just assumed I should use them like a bobby pin. That definitely makes more sense as far as the weaving and all goes. Thank you.

noelgirl
August 5th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I like the 3" crimp pins from Sally's; they're also thicker and sturdier than the 2" ones. I use them for dance, and my hair stays up and neat the whole time.

JuliaDancer
August 5th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I find that some of them are made too thin and flimsy, and they bend really easily, while other brands are thicker metal, and don't bend out of shape. Definitely go for the sturdier ones. I agree that it works if you squeeze the prongs together a bit when you insert them in your hair, and weave it like a hairstick.

xoerincolleen
August 5th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I have those same pins, and half of them worked okay, but the other half were way too flimsy and wouldn't hold their shape at all. I think they're just cheapy made, and you may have gotten a bad pack. Mine, one of the little bundles are all relatively sturdy and noticeably thicker than the other little bundle. So that may be a factor with those pins as well.

robynlh87
August 5th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I love my spin pins! I never thought they would hold so sercurley but they do! And they are super easy :)