PDA

View Full Version : Hime cut

whitestiletto
July 31st, 2011, 06:09 PM
I had never heard of this unusual haircut before today. It seems from google that it's more popular on anime characters than real life girls, probably because the upkeep is easier :P

http://www.haircareresources.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/hime-cut-hairstyles-1.jpg
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=11640423

embee
July 31st, 2011, 06:17 PM
Whooof. I can see why. Straight hair can be a real pain to keep "just the right shape".

Princess Kitti
July 31st, 2011, 06:17 PM
I like it...I quite admire those who can pull off the hime-lolita look.

Raiscake
July 31st, 2011, 06:20 PM
It's a traditional Japanese haircut. Nowadays it's more popular among Lolita fashion enthusiasts. At least from what I read.

spidermom
July 31st, 2011, 06:35 PM
People used to do something similar in the 60s; Cher, for one example.

Kathie
July 31st, 2011, 07:01 PM
I just had a look through Google images- some hime cuts are really harsh. Some look like a mullet that is being grown out!

Sundial
July 31st, 2011, 07:04 PM
I had a friend who did it once for fun. It only looked good because she had Japanese straightening done to make sure it always sits nicely. To be honest, it looked really good on her but she eventually grew it out.

At that point in time when she told the hairdresser to hack off her sides, her hairdresser freaked out and kept trying to dissuade her :p I was keeping her company on her salon visit so I witnessed it first hand

Chetanlaiho
July 31st, 2011, 07:16 PM
I have this cut actually xD I have a few pictures but I'm not sure how to upload them on here.

I quite like it, I went from half-side bang ish to full on straight hime cut. I now have the edges of the side parts more choppy (looks so much better) and am considering changing the blunt bangs but I still want to keep it a hime cut.

My hair is wavy so I straighten those parts, but I try to keep the straightening to a minimal by sort of wrapping them so they're mostly straight :)

The only thing I really don't like about it is that so much of my hair goes into the hime cut because the sides went waaay too far back (used to be all the hair from just behind my ears to the front was bangs, it's a little bit better now and I plan on growing more of it long again).

Edit: I used to have the more 'oldfashioned' hime cut like this wig has: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/Hime_cut.jpg actually that picture is the one I used for reference at the salon.

RitaPG
July 31st, 2011, 07:52 PM
I had that haircut aeons ago! It wasn't a thick, straight cut, it was more on the wispy side. Kinda like this http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/Miki-091/Miki/Versailles/Hizaki/hizaki20.jpg as if the hair at chin/lip length was more of an extension of the bangs, instead of a different length entirely. I liked it, when I went to bed with my hair wet, the longer "side bangs" kinda curled :D

Slinks
July 31st, 2011, 08:01 PM
People used to do something similar in the 60s; Cher, for one example.
yeah Cher rocked it !! but then I could be biased I LOVE Cher :D

mtstorm
July 31st, 2011, 08:58 PM
I had that haircut 9 months ago. I couldn't pull it off, my hair as too much natural wave.

MissManda
July 31st, 2011, 09:12 PM
There was another member who got a hairstyle like that, but I don't remember who it was, only that it looked so adorable on her. :D I used to have that style when I was younger because one of my relatives thought it would be a good idea to cut the hair above my ears to the same length as the blunt bangs I had. It wound up looking awful, so I grew out and it wound up being a Hime style until it caught up with the rest of my hair.

I actually like this style and would consider it if I wasn't growing my hair long. :)

UltraBella
July 31st, 2011, 09:34 PM
I really love this look on some people and I know we have a few members here with it. Maybe they will post pics ! (hint, hint)

sarahbrownie
July 31st, 2011, 09:40 PM
Oh, I rocked this style for a year or so. Wasn't intentional, though. I asked for face-framing layers in the front and this is what I got. :hmm:

Kathie
July 31st, 2011, 11:22 PM
Oh, I rocked this style for a year or so. Wasn't intentional, though. I asked for face-framing layers in the front and this is what I got. :hmm:
I know what you mean... I think that's why I have an aversion towards this style.

Arya
August 1st, 2011, 12:22 AM
I find it only looks good on people with stick straight hair, otherwise it just looks odd and sort of sixties. And I mean stick straight, my 1b has too much body for it, but I do have a similar style that works better for hair with a little more body, it's more like this:
http://fanchaos.com/fanplusfriend/c4/W00099_01.jpg
It's not as harsh, but still has interesting layers cut in. It also grows out really nicely into face framing layers. I hardly had an awkward stage at all.

Katurday
August 1st, 2011, 12:47 AM
I have straight enough hair for that cut, but unless your hair is a particularly stylish or unnatural color, I don't think it looks good. I'm talking black, white or rainbow hair.

Also I hate saying this... Some haircuts demand certain attractive features. I'm not one of those people who believes that every type of attractiveness can pull off certain haircuts, even if that makes me judgmental/bad. I see too many girls going for things that are just... Not... Eh. Hime haircuts are HARSH and unforgiving, it is VERY easy to come off not stylish and just "dorp" looking.

christine1989
August 1st, 2011, 12:52 AM
I have straight enough hair for that cut, but unless your hair is a particularly stylish or unnatural color, I don't think it looks good. I'm talking black, white or rainbow hair.

Also I hate saying this... Some haircuts demand certain attractive features. I'm not one of those people who believes that every type of attractiveness can pull off certain haircuts, even if that makes me judgmental/bad. I see too many girls going for things that are just... Not... Eh. Hime haircuts are HARSH and unforgiving, it is VERY easy to come off not stylish and just "dorp" looking.

Agreed. I would never be able to pull this off with the waves in my hair- it really must be straight for this cut to work. I believe that facial symmetry is key when attempting to wear this well since any a-symmetry will stand out with a cut like this. A round face also works best since I suspect it would make a long face look even longer.

leslissocool
August 1st, 2011, 01:48 AM
I had this cut when I was 12. I looked REALLY good in it, but I had to relax my hair for it. I have a round/diamond face. I like it but I don't have the natural texture for it. I wish I had pictures :(

Chetanlaiho
August 1st, 2011, 06:19 AM
I really love this look on some people and I know we have a few members here with it. Maybe they will post pics ! (hint, hint)

This is the best picture I have of my old 'blunt' cut that I kept stick straight. I'll see if I can find a picture of the softer more flattering version I have now ;)

First time posting pictures so here's to hoping it works
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy145/Chetanlaiho/IMG_8080-1.jpg

luthein
August 1st, 2011, 06:40 AM
Chetanlaiho! Beautiful!

Kathie
August 1st, 2011, 01:26 PM
I agree that is nice :agree:
The cut looks a lot better if the side layers are around chin length IMO.

Chetanlaiho
August 1st, 2011, 02:54 PM
@ luthein: Thank you so much! ^_^ I'm not very photogenic at all and that's one of the few pictures I actually like so it means a lot to me.

@ Kathie: I agree, shorter than chin length looks good on very, very few people (same as bangs shorter than beneath eyebrow length imo). Especially if the side bangs are blunt, which is already quite hard to pull off v_v

Amber_Maiden
August 1st, 2011, 02:57 PM
Looks like a lot of straightening/or product would go into keeping it that way- and frequent hair cuts.

Slinks
August 1st, 2011, 02:59 PM
This is the best picture I have of my old 'blunt' cut that I kept stick straight. I'll see if I can find a picture of the softer more flattering version I have now ;)

OH WOW-zers yeah, you ROCK this !! :rockerdud

wtchmel
August 1st, 2011, 03:05 PM
not my bag, semi weird mullet type of deal....

PrincessBob
August 1st, 2011, 03:10 PM
I've not heard it called that before, but I knew exactly what it meant without the links. One of my class mates from Modern Japanese Literature was a long hair, but she had this cut in the front and she looked so cool. She usually bunned her hair around a very large claw clip, but on occasion she had it braided. Her hair was easily classic length, too. This looks very good with long hair, hers was a rich golden brown.

Chetanlaiho
August 1st, 2011, 03:15 PM

Aww thank you so much! You just made my night/day/week ^_^

This is actually only a few months after I got it and here you can sort of see how much of my hair went into the bangs, the longer pieces you see in the front? Is the entire part that's long v_v this was over a year ago and for this reason still my ends look really thin >_<

Juneii
August 1st, 2011, 03:18 PM
I have attempted this for a short time, it looked good but the upkeep was too much for me. It's a very bold style. I ended up preferring something softer especially since my hair tends to wave at a short length.

Toadstool
August 1st, 2011, 04:49 PM

Wow- you look so beautiful!

beez1717
August 1st, 2011, 05:15 PM
If the Hime haircut is on the right person it can be quite cute. Of course, the longer the hair is the better (I love straight hair sooooo much too!) I wonder how it would look though on someone who is not japaneese....

Messyhair
August 1st, 2011, 05:55 PM

Yup, that's when I had this style, too, but without the bangs. I kept it for a long time - the rest was around waist length.

McFearless
August 1st, 2011, 06:09 PM
I used to have that cut by accident. People looked at me weird but it was adorable, even I couldn't hate it. Now I have something similar. I wear my hair with a middle part and my former bangs are cut blunt on both sides.

McFearless
August 1st, 2011, 06:13 PM

I agree! You look so cute.

MajorasMask
August 1st, 2011, 06:42 PM

You sort of look like my little sister 0.0

Maelyssa
August 1st, 2011, 07:09 PM
Interestingly enough I'm currently growing out my last salon cut from about two years ago when I went in & asked to have slight graduated layers in my sides to give me some 'face framing angles' and instead....she did exactly this type of cut to my hair.
The very first chop she did I almost died when I saw what she did & pretty much told her she wasn't doing what I wanted but really....there isn't any stopping & fixing something like this.
So my sides have not too recently gotten past the point where if I pull my hair up into a ponytail I have these short spiky pieces sticking out. Plus it really kills the overall thickness of my hair. Not sure how I'm going to fix it down the road.

MissManda
August 1st, 2011, 07:27 PM
I find it only looks good on people with stick straight hair, otherwise it just looks odd and sort of sixties. And I mean stick straight, my 1b has too much body for it, but I do have a similar style that works better for hair with a little more body, it's more like this:
http://fanchaos.com/fanplusfriend/c4/W00099_01.jpg
It's not as harsh, but still has interesting layers cut in. It also grows out really nicely into face framing layers. I hardly had an awkward stage at all.

Oooh, I really like that style. I wonder if that would work with sideswept bangs instead of blunt. Hmmm...

Arya
August 1st, 2011, 09:19 PM
Oooh, I really like that style. I wonder if that would work with sideswept bangs instead of blunt. Hmmm...

My bangs aren't actually blunt blunt...they're done so that they're very thick, they extend in a triangle to almost the top of my head. It looks a lot softer and less harsh than thinner blunt bangs.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i373/Arya-Stark/Photo541.jpg

free_hug
August 1st, 2011, 11:28 PM
I just had a look through Google images- some hime cuts are really harsh. Some look like a mullet that is being grown out!

Exactly this. It can be done in a really cute, soft, gradual bangs/fringe way, and yet many people in real life somehow way overdo it. It's not even supposed to look very drastic in anime, so how is it not obvious that in reality one should be even more careful?

Course this also means that when it's well done, it's super cute. Yay to the stylish hime rockers :)

free_hug
August 1st, 2011, 11:29 PM
My bangs aren't actually blunt blunt...they're done so that they're very thick, they extend in a triangle to almost the top of my head. It looks a lot softer and less harsh than thinner blunt bangs.

Yep, this is pretty much my idea of well done hime style bangs :D

Also, I though it's fairly easy to maintain for yourself. As long as the only parts you have to trim regularly are the ones in the front :)

UltraBella
August 2nd, 2011, 12:51 AM

I love it !!!!!!

beez1717
August 2nd, 2011, 01:10 AM
Lol I wonder how it would look on a guy. Anyway, I have always thought that this haircut is super cute. I guess that's because it's just so historic an everything, and yet looks so special. Now if only more people had it.

Arya
August 2nd, 2011, 07:49 AM

Also, I though it's fairly easy to maintain for yourself. As long as the only parts you have to trim regularly are the ones in the front :)

yeah, I would imagine so. I just go back to my hairdresser and she cuts em for $6. Mine are pretty grown out now, though, the middle part is almost chin length, and the sides are just past chin now. They went through a sideswept part naturally about two months ago, it's a really nice style to grow out. But I think I'll get em cut back in, I did enjoy them.

Chetanlaiho
August 2nd, 2011, 05:22 PM
Wow- you look so beautiful!

I agree! You look so cute.

I love it !!!!!!

Thank you all so much!!! You're all far too kind :)
I was actually planning to sort of grow out the blunt bangs but now I'm reconsidering xD

You sort of look like my little sister 0.0
Haha I'm not often told I look like other people so this is quite a first for me ^^

tiny_teesha
August 2nd, 2011, 05:31 PM
I used to have a hime style fringe back in the day, the piece that cuts off around the jaw was much thinner than a proper hime but i kept it for a few years because i thought it flattered me :)
I love the hairstyle personally :)

eta- photo here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=457&pictureid=4597)

silverpiper
August 2nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
lol - I got married in 1978 and my hair was cut like this. They called it a bi level cut.

Slinks
August 2nd, 2011, 07:21 PM
I was actually planning to sort of grow out the blunt bangs but now I'm reconsidering xD

^^

Do that :-)

Slinks
August 2nd, 2011, 07:22 PM
I used to have a hime style fringe back in the day, the piece that cuts off around the jaw was much thinner than a proper hime but i kept it for a few years because i thought it flattered me :)

eta- photo here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=457&pictureid=4597)

:-( I can't see the pic .. is it from a private album ??

Chetanlaiho
August 2nd, 2011, 08:04 PM

The link doesn't work for me either, I'd love to see though since I want to do my side pieces thinner (too much hair goes into it now >_<)

Do that :-)
Sorry I'm a bit confused, do grow them out or do reconsider? ^^;

MsBubbles
August 2nd, 2011, 08:07 PM
This has probably already been said but I had this style by accident in the early 80s when I was trying to grow out a mullet but keep straight-across bangs. I probably have some photos around here somewhere, in my 'embarrassing photos' pile.

I used to try to put some body into those blunt layers but of course it just went back to being stick-straight within minutes no matter what I did. 20-30 years accidentally ahead of my time again.

boomtownrat
August 2nd, 2011, 08:10 PM
I had no idea what this cut was called. Sometimes I like it -- usually more on real people than on anime characters.

Slinks
August 2nd, 2011, 09:21 PM
Sorry I'm a bit confused, do grow them out or do reconsider? ^^;

:lol: keep your hair like that .. it really suits you :-) didn't mean to confuse ..

taimatsuko
August 3rd, 2011, 02:33 AM
I love the Hime cut a lot. I really like all cuts with that type of architectural structure. It always has a classic yet artistic/elegant feel to me. Although I'm biased and only like them on stick straight jet black hair for the most part. I also think a certain type of personality is a must. Does this sort of cut have the same sort of feel that the asymmetrical bob that was really hot a couple of years ago had? I wonder if they fall into the same category kind of.

Mirsha
August 3rd, 2011, 03:12 AM

I believe this is what I cut my fringe like in April! Well it looks like it, I just made the classic mistake of also cutting the hair above my ears :rolleyes:

Cania
August 3rd, 2011, 03:15 AM
I think this cut is really pretty :)

Ishje
August 3rd, 2011, 03:18 AM
I have seen this haircut on a few people with natural straight hair.
it is kinda cute :) but it really only works if someone has straight hair.

Crysta
August 3rd, 2011, 06:53 AM
I used to have a hime cut - maybe about 6ish years ago, I grew it out though, it did suit me - was really harsh but it brought out my cheek bones a treat.

Arya
August 3rd, 2011, 08:49 AM
I believe this is what I cut my fringe like in April! Well it looks like it, I just made the classic mistake of also cutting the hair above my ears :rolleyes:

Nope, that's what I did, too. I did cut into the hairline a little bit for the side pieces. I know it's a 'classic mistake', but my hairstylist is really professional and said it would look fine (which it does). That's what this haircut is supposed to look like, and it hides my annoying whispy temple hair.

beez1717
August 3rd, 2011, 03:45 PM
I just got to thinking, and have you ever seen a guy have the Hime cut? I wonder how that could look. I bet it would look kind of weird unless he had the right look. Anyway, I love the history of this haircut :)

Chetanlaiho
August 3rd, 2011, 04:40 PM
Well the picture posted earlier here: http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/Miki-091/Miki/Versailles/Hizaki/hizaki20.jpg is Hizaki from Versailles, he's a guy?

But he's a Visual Kei artist that has taken the androgynous look and gone much beyond (he wears these awesome Victorian-ish ball gowns in the music video's xD) so he can't really be counted as a regular 'guy' xD

Other than that, well for a cut that's named the princess cut, I'm not sure many guys would take the leap.

beez1717
August 3rd, 2011, 05:27 PM
Well the picture posted earlier here: http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/Miki-091/Miki/Versailles/Hizaki/hizaki20.jpg is Hizaki from Versailles, he's a guy?

But he's a Visual Kei artist that has taken the androgynous look and gone much beyond (he wears these awesome Victorian-ish ball gowns in the music video's xD) so he can't really be counted as a regular 'guy' xD

Other than that, well for a cut that's named the princess cut, I'm not sure many guys would take the leap.

I might take the leap, but i'm worried at what everyone else (including strangers) would think so I'm not doing it.

Chetanlaiho
August 3rd, 2011, 05:43 PM
Maybe I was lucky to just sort, never 'realize' or think that what strangers think of my hair should have an impact on me but I'd say go for it if you like it and you think it'll suit you :)

The traditional hime cut is very harsh and unforgiving indeed, so you have to have the right features for it. I have one but I've blended the sides a bit because it wasn't doing my jawline any good.

I don't see any pictures of you in your album so I can't picture what you'd look like with it but as the hairdresser who cut mine said, if you really really like a cut, get it, if it doesn't work out you can find a way to make it work.

And personally, I'd love to see a guy with a hime cut who can pull it off ^_^

beez1717
August 3rd, 2011, 06:59 PM
Alright, I'm posting a picture of me (from photobucket). I don't like using the album here because that way I can totally control what images to share and such, and if I want to break the link to the photo it's easy (and I somehow still don't have access to the photo albums and I still can't get permission). Anyway, would this picture help you figure out if a Hime cut would work?

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i313/beez1717/My%20Hair/Me1-1.jpg

l0nd0nbr1dg3
August 3rd, 2011, 07:02 PM
looks like what it would look like you if you just cut your hair yourself
i had hair like that at one point but didnt really look that blunt because my hair is wavy

mallorykay13
August 3rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
I would never EVER have the guts to do this.

chickpea
August 3rd, 2011, 07:24 PM
I really like the style, it looks great when done well. Too bad it wouldn't work on my wavy hair. :)

Silverdragn7385
August 3rd, 2011, 08:03 PM
I had that haircut aeons ago! It wasn't a thick, straight cut, it was more on the wispy side. Kinda like this http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/Miki-091/Miki/Versailles/Hizaki/hizaki20.jpg as if the hair at chin/lip length was more of an extension of the bangs, instead of a different length entirely. I liked it, when I went to bed with my hair wet, the longer "side bangs" kinda curled :D

I cut my side pieces like in that photo of Hizaki...I call it my modified hime cut since my bangs are parted to the side and my chin-length side pieces are cut up into the bangs. You can't really see my side pieces when my hair is worn down (I cut it that way on purpose) but the pieces show when my hair is worn up. I quite like it...though yes, it's hard to maintain.

Vanessa_za
August 3rd, 2011, 08:09 PM
I had that hair cut about four years ago, I really loved it but I had to use the straightener everyday, so I grew it out.:rolleyes:

Silverdragn7385
August 3rd, 2011, 08:11 PM
Oh! I just remembered that I had an older photo that showed it off quite well...though I'm not too fond of this photo (was playing around with my clothing that day :P)...especially of that weird green tint on my glasses:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/Silverdragon7385/SAM_0493.jpg

beez1717
August 3rd, 2011, 09:14 PM
Wow, Silverdragn! You look quite good with that hairstyle! :D And, it does go well with your outfit too. Way to go!

ange1ito
August 3rd, 2011, 09:24 PM
:) I had the hime cut in my late 20's. I kept it for about 2 years and most people commented on it being different but still really liked the look. The only issue was growing the hair out which took forever.

GlennaGirl
August 3rd, 2011, 09:24 PM
Oh! I just remembered that I had an older photo that showed it off quite well...though I'm not too fond of this photo (was playing around with my clothing that day :P)...especially of that weird green tint on my glasses:

That is ADORABLE. :inlove:

Silverdragn7385
August 3rd, 2011, 09:30 PM
Wow, Silverdragn! You look quite good with that hairstyle! :D And, it does go well with your outfit too. Way to go!

Thank you :)

Silverdragn7385
August 3rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
That is ADORABLE. :inlove:

Thanks! :D

Chetanlaiho
August 4th, 2011, 06:58 AM

Wow that looks amazing! Would you mind awfully if I saved this picture for reference? I want my side pieces done similar to yours and it's hard to find a good picture =)

@beez1717: personally I love my bangs because they cover up my (in my opinion) rather large forehead. Yours on the other head, seems to be a little short so I'm not sure how the blunt bangs would look on you.

However the part that's usually more troublesome is the sidepieces, your facial hair makes it a bit hard to see your jawline but it looks quite square? The blunt edges would emphasize that, but that could be either a good or a bad thing based on personal preference.

beez1717
August 4th, 2011, 09:06 AM
thanks for the suggestions. I might have to think about it. Oh and I've NEVER had bangs before so that's something to think about too.

Laurenji
August 4th, 2011, 10:30 AM
beez1717, I'm not certain this style would work on you. For one, if you're concerned about the opinions of others, I would be leery of getting any bangs. I don't think I've EVER seen guys with bangs in real life, not even long-haired ones, so that in and of itself would be kind of odd.

On top of that, your face shape seems to be more round, with a smaller forehead and a larger jaw. Just from the examples on this page, it looks like this style works best on those with a larger forehead and a smaller jaw, because like Chetanlaiho said, it would definitely emphasize your jaw.

But who knows, I could be completely wrong, since I'm not very much of an expert in these things. It might look amazing, just in a completely different way than the examples given. You could try photoshopping hair on in that cut to see if you'd like it. The only other problem is, if you do decide to go for it, it will certainly take a long time to grow out if you end up not liking it.

Silverdragn7385
August 4th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Wow that looks amazing! Would you mind awfully if I saved this picture for reference? I want my side pieces done similar to yours and it's hard to find a good picture =)

Sure! If you wanted to avoid the salon, it's really easy to cut those pieces yourself. I cut my own side pieces and bangs. :)

Cania
August 4th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Laurenji and beez1717 - My boyfriend has a kind of soft Hime cut, I style it for him (after his hairdresser made a mess! He was very upset but all was better with a quick wave of my scissors :P) He never gets negative comments about his hair and my friends like it :)
He has a long forehead but a fairly strong jaw and it suits him. But I also chopped lots of layers in there and I put a gentle U in the back so the shortness in the front wasn't too harsh. Not sure if that helps at all? Your jaw is stronger though, beez.

Chetanlaiho
August 4th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Sure! If you wanted to avoid the salon, it's really easy to cut those pieces yourself. I cut my own side pieces and bangs. :)

Great thanks! I do generally cut my own bangs (I seem to be able to do it straighter than the salon usually does for some reason xD) but the side pieces seem scarier somehow, maybe because it would take longer to regrow those?

Though I do plan on selftrimming during university save for one last visit, so maybe I should just try and teach myself xD

TrudieCat
August 4th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Oh wow, I have this cut and I didn't even know it. I did it myself about a month ago when I got all freaked out about my tight-bunned mean lady look. It looks cuter on everyone else who's posted here than it does on me, that's for sure. I have to blow dry my bangs straight or it's just a bad, bad look, although I keep the longer pieces that frame my face wurly.

Now it's growing out so I just look a little overgrown. I love this cut on other people, though.

Beez, I say go for it but I always say that about hair style ideas. :p It'll grow back!

ETA: actually, going back through the google pics I have a much softer version of this with less of the medium layer. I like the super blunt versions a lot, though!

beez1717
August 4th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Laurenji and beez1717 - My boyfriend has a kind of soft Hime cut, I style it for him (after his hairdresser made a mess! He was very upset but all was better with a quick wave of my scissors :P) He never gets negative comments about his hair and my friends like it :)
He has a long forehead but a fairly strong jaw and it suits him. But I also chopped lots of layers in there and I put a gentle U in the back so the shortness in the front wasn't too harsh. Not sure if that helps at all? Your jaw is stronger though, beez.

Ah. This makes me wonder if you have any pictures that woiuld be okay to share of him. Anyway, if I did get the cut it would make for a SUPER strong jaw. It might be good to play up that feature of me!

Silverdragn7385
August 4th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Great thanks! I do generally cut my own bangs (I seem to be able to do it straighter than the salon usually does for some reason xD) but the side pieces seem scarier somehow, maybe because it would take longer to regrow those?

Though I do plan on self trimming during university save for one last visit, so maybe I should just try and teach myself xD

Nah, it's not scary. I just kind of winged it when I first did it, lol.

Here's what I did: I took about a half an inch or so section on each side in the very front, and cut straight across where I wanted the pieces to be. Then, at the very end of the section that was just cut, I cut up all the way into the bang, at an angle. Let's see...I made this photo real quick as a visual aid, but it may confuse you even more, LOL:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/Silverdragon7385/sidepiececut.png

two_wheels
August 4th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I was given a version of this haircut once by an overexcited hairdresser. It looked cool when he'd styled it with a million products and straighteners. But my hair is quite wavy and frizzy and I couldn't do all that stuff to it every day, it was a multi layered bird's nest of a disaster. Within a fortnight I'd chopped it back to a bob so years of growth wasted, but a valuable lesson learnt; since then it's always been just a trim please! It does look great on other people though- just makes me twinge to see it :rolleyes:

Freyariane
August 4th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Haha I'm currently trying to get rid of a kind of hime cut I did in late 2009 ^^

Chetanlaiho
August 5th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Nah, it's not scary. I just kind of winged it when I first did it, lol.

Here's what I did: I took about a half an inch or so section on each side in the very front, and cut straight across where I wanted the pieces to be. Then, at the very end of the section that was just cut, I cut up all the way into the bang, at an angle. Let's see...I made this photo real quick as a visual aid, but it may confuse you even more, LOL:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/Silverdragon7385/sidepiececut.png

Hmm I think I can sort of make sense of it. I actually feel like my bangs are too 'thick' so I'm considering growing out the top pieces of it and using those for similar side pieces like yours :) (they're already halfway there since I'm waaay overdue on trimming my fringe due to not being able to make up my mind what I want to do with them xD)

alyanna
August 5th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I was in Paris for a few days last week and I saw this haircut a few times actually. It was quite exaggerated. Basically, it's blunt bob in the front, sometimes with bangs, and it goes until just behind the ears where the hair is longer, APL or more.

From the front, it just looks like the person has a straight bob, but then the person turns and you see that it's only half their hair that's in a bob and the rest is long.

Dorothy
August 5th, 2011, 07:27 AM
After cutting my own straight across bangs from 16 - 42, this year I noticed more and more of my hair has been incorporated into my bangs, leaving less to give volume to the top of my head in updos. So I've been growing out part of the bangs- basically I let grow the 1/2 of the section that's further back, and I also stopped cutting some of the sides of the bangs, and now I guess I have a hime cut. My sections don't fall nicely so I usually pin them back. Perhaps when they grow longer they'll fall better.....

DakarNick
September 1st, 2011, 06:00 PM
Hello all. I know this thread died a bit but I was youtubing guitar solos and such and came across this beautiful girl, Desiree Bassett. I googled her and found a bunch of Picasa pics.

She has a longer hime cut. About collarbone in front and nearly waist in back.

Enjoy!

Hime
https://picasaweb.google.com/103090087680011934410/07142011TriumphTributeCanada#5631146551233504546

Her homepage
http://dbassett.com

Her photo page
https://picasaweb.google.com/103090087680011934410

Oh yeah, she is a GREAT guitarist!

Velvet Dreamer
September 1st, 2011, 06:22 PM
I love Hime cuts, but, like the name says, I think you have to be a princess to pull it off and keep it looking nice. I could never do it, haha.

slo2gro
September 1st, 2011, 06:41 PM
OMG i so could never pull this off its nice but NOT for my face haha

Audhumla
September 2nd, 2011, 04:26 AM
I was just thinking about this haircut the other day for when my hair gets a bit longer. Then I realised that it's a high maintenance blunt fringe + two more blunt sections to constantly fuss over. This hair cut and my will to not use heated styling tools would not walk hand in hand :P

Kelikea
September 2nd, 2011, 04:51 AM
I saw a little girl with her hair cut like that, but her hair is curly. It looks like a weird mullet. Bad cut for curls!

Little_Bird
September 2nd, 2011, 08:05 AM
There is a portuguese fashion designer who had a haircut very similar to that!

I personally didn't like on her. That was some years ago though.

Here's a picture of her:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/fatimalopes01xg1.jpg/

And yes, probably it would demand a lot of upkeep!
I kinda feel that, unlike with bangs, which I like, having a little of your hair very long and another portion of it much shorter is kind of a waist of potential... but that's me tehee ! :lol:

sre
September 2nd, 2011, 05:34 PM
I'm far from a princess but used to have a blunt hime cut in middle shcool for a short time. I saw a picture of some japanese singer and thought that her hair was cool and wanted to have the same cut. Even though I have straight hair it was just too much maintenance. My jaw is also too strong for this cut, I think it works only with a petite face. After only a couple of weeks I cut the "hime parts" to the same level as my finge. Fortunately the parts weren't wide so it blanded quite well.

I still like the cut, but wouldn't get it back. It think it would look good only on a japanese person in an old-fashioned kimono. Or on a rock star. :D

arseen33
September 2nd, 2011, 09:30 PM
I'm an ex-lolita with a grown out hime that I cut myself. The blunt side pieces JUST grew long enough to stay in a side braid. X3

emelnd
September 2nd, 2011, 09:39 PM
I saw cuts like that in old Japanese movies. Hime means princess in Japanese, I wonder if princesses used to have this hairstyle...

battles
September 2nd, 2011, 09:50 PM
I had my hair cut into this awhile ago, but it's sorta grown out now. :( It still looks fine, totally different though.

Trying to decide whether to keep going or to trim it back. I really liked it.

ETA: Okay, just trimmed bangs. Whew, that was scary. D:

Morpho.peleides
October 8th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I saw cuts like that in old Japanese movies. Hime means princess in Japanese, I wonder if princesses used to have this hairstyle...

I've read in several history books that this hairstyle originated (or at least became popular) during the Heian period in Japan (more than a thousand years ago). It became a fashion among noblewomen to cut their fringes and side bangs short and then grow then grow the rest of their hair out. They regard those with floor-length hair as the highest standard of beauty. *_*

--------------

This has been my hairstyle on-and-off since 2007. Though mine is a more "contemporary" version wherein the blunt (cheek-length) side-bangs aren't cut all the way towards the back of the ear, so that the effect is similar but not as harsh as the traditional hime. :3

beez1717
October 10th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I've read in several history books that this hairstyle originated (or at least became popular) during the Heian period in Japan (more than a thousand years ago). It became a fashion among noblewomen to cut their fringes and side bangs short and then grow then grow the rest of their hair out. They regard those with floor-length hair as the highest standard of beauty. *_*

--------------

This has been my hairstyle on-and-off since 2007. Though mine is a more "contemporary" version wherein the blunt (cheek-length) side-bangs aren't cut all the way towards the back of the ear, so that the effect is similar but not as harsh as the traditional hime. :3

Cool info. I wish floor length would make that kind of comeback!

And your hair sounds sublime :)

fil
October 10th, 2011, 10:12 AM
it looks adorable on the chibi girl :3:3:3

NotInPortland
October 10th, 2011, 10:28 AM
On just the right person I LOVE this cut!! I don't think I'd ever be able to pull it off with my face shape but for those that can and do keep rocking it! :D

Albiryo
October 10th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I have suuuper straight, dark hair (naturally) and study Japanese language and culture.
Maybe I should consider such a cut. :D

Not sure if it suits my face actually but I&#180;ll have to wait for my perm to grow out anyways.

But afterwards... Maybe. :P

Morpho.peleides
October 10th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Cool info. I wish floor length would make that kind of comeback!

And your hair sounds sublime :)

Oh how I wish! If it wasn't because of several circumstances, I'd grow my hair to that length.

Back in the days, they actually had to attach special trains to their kimono to serve as a "carrier" for their hair, to prevent it from getting damaged through contact with the floor/ground. @__@

And thank you! ///_///

Uhm..here (http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss38/someiiyoshino/Photo2682.jpg)'s a photo showing my hime cut. Not the best one though. Black hair, horrible lighting, and an equally bad camera don't really go well together. But you can see the side bangs in relation to the main length of my hair. >_<

Yozhik
October 10th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Morpho.peleides, you're so cute and the cut is adorable on you!

I'm betting this haircut wouldn't look good with non-straight hair, so luckily, I can't torture myself with thoughts of how awesome it would look if I got one. ;)

Morpho.peleides
October 10th, 2011, 10:43 PM
@Yozhik Hurrr thank you! ///__///
TBH, this is the only hairstyle that I really like and go back to again and again, since it hides my huge forehead and uneven eyebrows. XD

And, I beg to differ~ Nana Kitade rocked this hairstyle a few years ago with curly hair (You can see here (http://moetron.com/screencaps2/nanakit_bunnysc89.jpg) and here (http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss200/Bardiche_Assault/Otros/NanaKitade6.jpg)). I think it only boils down to keeping the general silhouette as well as the bangs straight for it to work. :3

Yozhik
October 10th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Cute pics you linked to! :)
Luckily, I'm still not tempted, because their bangs are still straight even with curly hair, and I don't want to have to straighten my hair every day (too lazy :p).

Morpho.peleides
October 10th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Ah...true. It really is the downside, since the straight bangs and side fringes are the main elements of the hime.

Even among Lolita communities, where this hairstyle is popular, many prefer wearing wigs to actually getting this hair cut, since there's less fuss over the maintenance and styling.

Bazinga
October 11th, 2011, 02:55 AM
I can't really decide if I like this cut or not. Sometimes I think it looks really awesome and special and sometimes I think it looks just not very flattering for the person who has it. It probably depends a lot on the person who has it and what the rest of their style is like. For me it's somehow more some kind of art than just a hairstyle.:)

Chetanlaiho
October 11th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Hello all. I know this thread died a bit but I was youtubing guitar solos and such and came across this beautiful girl, Desiree Bassett. I googled her and found a bunch of Picasa pics.

She has a longer hime cut. About collarbone in front and nearly waist in back.

Enjoy!

Hime
https://picasaweb.google.com/103090087680011934410/07142011TriumphTributeCanada#5631146551233504546

Actually she doesn't have the front bangs so it's not a hime cut ;) (It kinda looks like she's growing out blunt bangs?)

Love your haircut Morpho.peleides ^_^

I'm currently trying to decide whether to keep mine or not. I've decided I at least want it less thick so I'm kind of growing it out now and will later cut it back in thinner. (Looks horrid now, with my blunt bangs about tip of nose length xD). I really like to have both bangs and side bangs and like how it looks on me but it leaves so little hair to actually be long =(

Ostelot
October 11th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Oh I love the pictures and hair styles shown here. <3 Only my passion to the updos prevents me from cutting the harsh version of the same style. Less back hair unfortunately means smaller buns etc.

In my own head is also growing some very lame version of the hime cut because the most outer hairs of my fringe are getting longer than the center hairs each day. At the moment those side pieces are strongly point cut and reached the cheek bones. Blunt cut side pieces won't suit me right now in this length. Just haven't decided yet, should I keep the inner hair (growing from the center of forehead) of my fringe short or grow them to bob length. :rolleyes: Well, my face shape is longish heart, especially when I'm smiling the face looks pure heart but has more height than width. My chin is week, hairline is not low or high but forehead is quite large compared to chin, the cheekbones are high and prominent. The features are rather small than prominent. Do side pieces in bob length flatter that kind of face better with or without the fringe?

emelnd
October 11th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Cute pics you linked to! :)
Luckily, I'm still not tempted, because their bangs are still straight even with curly hair, and I don't want to have to straighten my hair every day (too lazy :p).

Yeah same here. Besides, I have never managed to successfully straighten my bangs. When hairdressers do it, it gets wavy in a short time or when I step outside. This is why I don't have bangs... Also I have a smallish forehead and a widow's peak that makes it look even smaller.

I like wide foreheads, I wanted a very wide one when I was a teenager. :)

moxamoll
October 11th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I don't know what it's called, but I always like the cut that is the opposite of this. It only works for a bob cut, but then you leave the pieces at the front of the bob (beside your face? at either of your bangs? however you think of it!) longer than the rest of the bob. Once your hair gets passed your shoulders though, it's kind of pointless.

Vanilla Mint
October 11th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I have a hime cut. :) I've been growing out the thickness of my blunt bangs, and by parting what I want to grow out, I've ended up with this style. I generally wear the length quite wavy and my "forelocks" are only about and inch or so thick. It's pretty low-maintenance for me, but then again, the top of my hair doesn't really wave much, just the bottom. I wish I had recent pictures to share. >:{ I'll either maintain my "forelocks" (that sounds so funny!) at about the tops of my cheeks, or I'm just going to grow them out completely, though...on my fine hair, having those pieces fall anywhere below my chin means they get stringy-looking.

Chise
March 16th, 2015, 10:38 AM
I really like this kind of haircut, especially in its "softer" version, like the one Arya posted on page 4!

Does anyone know if there is some kind of tutorial on how to do this haircut at home?

MINAKO
March 16th, 2015, 10:52 AM
A friend of mine has a razor sharp hime cut and it looks fantastic on her, as she has that sort of really round and child like face. On me it would look like im a fembot or something, so in any case i would prefer to have blunt bags again, but i just fully grew them out as they were a P.I.T.A. to style.

gwenalyn
March 16th, 2015, 01:30 PM
I really like this cut with the back hair pulled back. Cute and not too fussy. I don't think it has to be straight hair, as long as the sides are not cut *too* bluntly. In fact, I like it better with some texture.

Kind of like this, but with more short hair on the sides:
https://egregores.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/alessandra-torresani1.jpg

DreamSheep
March 16th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Ooh! When I had bangs this is totally what I went for.
Grown it out now, but I admit I really miss this style :) It definitely had a Japanese-Anime influence, didn't know it was go Hime.
I'm leaving this thread before I cut those bangs back in!!

Shibe
March 16th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Wow, zombie thread!

That being said, it is VERY cute! I don't think I'd have the right face shape for it, myself.

Doreen
March 16th, 2015, 06:58 PM
I really like this kind of haircut, especially in its "softer" version, like the one Arya posted on page 4!

Does anyone know if there is some kind of tutorial on how to do this haircut at home?

Hi Chise --
This is a nice general tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m4_cvXK9-E

However, you will have to adjust a bit to do a soft Hime cut type. At 4:19 she talks about sectioning; you should take a slightly wider and slightly thicker section than she shows. Then at 8:30 she sections off the sides; depending on how long you want the sides to be, you might want to separate these BEFORE you start to cut the middle section! Hope this helps!

CaranDulin
September 14th, 2015, 09:30 AM
I adapted this to my wurly hair recently. I have blunt bangs, and the face-framing pieces are cut in layers so that the waves can run wild on the sides! They're fairly long compared to most pictures you see of the cut- the longest pieces are about BSL. The rest of my hair is a v-shape that reaches a bit below classic. May not be everyone's taste, and it's nowhere near as clean-cut as the traditional hime, but I'm really enjoying it!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18966&d=1442244259

lapushka
September 14th, 2015, 09:39 AM
I adapted this to my wurly hair recently. I have blunt bangs, and the face-framing pieces are cut in layers so that the waves can run wild on the sides! They're fairly long compared to most pictures you see of the cut- the longest pieces are about BSL. The rest of my hair is a v-shape that reaches a bit below classic. May not be everyone's taste, and it's nowhere near as clean-cut as the traditional hime, but I'm really enjoying it!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18966&d=1442244259

I like it. Kind of like a faux bob; hehe the faux hime. ;)

yahirwaO.o
September 14th, 2015, 10:43 AM
CaranDulin I like this subtle but still awesome version! I also like the more dramatic ones, but yours looks just right softer!