PDA

View Full Version : Henna-ing eyebrows?

Viscountess
July 31st, 2011, 10:59 AM
Greetings all..

This morning I made up a witches brew of one lonely lush caca rouge square and the remains of some rajestansi henna I ordered from Henna Sooqu and glopped it on my head, wrapped my head in plastic and popped on an attractive HABS touque just to ensure that my neighbors really stare.

What about my eyebrows, thought I....

So I took an old stiff eyeliner brush and carefully painted henna remnants on my dark brown eyebrow strands.

Because I am more than a little neurotic, I only waited ten minutes before wiping off the henna to look for colour change. I did NOT want to have two orange stripes over my eyes.

No change.

So I did it again.

and waited...oh, ten minutes.

No change.

Repeat.

No change.

Any tricks or tips or ... any advice out there specific to hennaing brows?

Shanbot
July 31st, 2011, 11:21 AM
I tried to henna my brows with some gloss I had leftover a few months ago, and it just barely took. (I too was mortally afraid of bozo brows and didn't leave it on very long :D ). My brows are not very dark, a mid-ash blonde, and after it oxidized over a day it was pretty much indistinguishable from if I hadn't done it at all. Then I found out that apparently eyebrow hair gets a bit greasier than regular hair, since it's on one's face, so that might have been interfering with our uptakes. I think next time I will wash them with a clarifying shampoo or face wash to get all the oil off, and then make triple-crazy-sure to surround the whole area (but not the hair of course) with lotion.

Since you used partial lush henna, it wouldn't be as strong as just straight henna too, so you may have been able to leave it on a bit longer.

RocketDog
July 31st, 2011, 11:28 AM
I apply henna to my eyebrows every time I mix up a batch for my head, and I start by wiping my skin with the witch hazel stuff I use as a toner just to make sure the skin isn't dirty or oily. I use a q-tip to paint it on and then let it dry out a tiny bit while I apply the mud to my head. Once I'm done with that, I usually smear a light layer of conditioner over my muddy brows and let it sit on for an hour or so before wiping it off with a damp towel. I always get a decent stain, obviously brighter than what's on my head, but since I get bright roots every time I mud up I figure it 'blends' in a little better. At least that's what I tell myself ;)

I have very, very light eyebrows naturally, so light that they don't hardly show up in pictures, so even the slightest henna stain shows up. I'm not sure why, but the color fades out a lot over a week or two, no matter how long I leave the mud on my brows. I cheat and use mineral bronzer as eyebrow powder if I want to have 'real' eyebrows anyways, since the bronzer pallette I use has two dark shades that I blend together to get a near-perfect match for my henna'd hair.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4212&pictureid=103808

I have the bronzer-boosted brows here. Pretty close match, eh?

Viscountess
July 31st, 2011, 11:44 AM
Nice job RocketDog that looks awesome!

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice - this group is just sauteed in awesome sauce!

Vlientje
July 31st, 2011, 11:55 AM
I want to try to henna them but I can't since they are black.. But I have bleached them before for like 5 minutes, and they got lightbrown. So I will bleach them even more tomorrow and then see if I still need henna on it..

spidermom
July 31st, 2011, 12:23 PM
I bought an auburn eyebrow pencil when I henna'd my hair years ago.

Arya
July 31st, 2011, 01:33 PM
just so you guys know...natural redheads have either blonde or sort of rusty brown eyebrows.

Scarlet_Heart
July 31st, 2011, 01:41 PM
I bought an auburn eyebrow pencil when I henna'd my hair years ago.

I've been looking for one of those at the store, but all they have are various shades of brown and then black.

I tried to henna my brows, but with no luck. I think this is because, just like the hair on your head, the eyebrows need to be covered somehow as well. I have been trying to think of a way to do this. Band aids? Ouch, no. Maybe just tape some cling wrap over them? :hmm:

Toiréasa
July 31st, 2011, 06:37 PM
Maybe just tape some cling wrap over them? :hmm:

I think I saw in another thread that someone had done this,I'm pretty sure they said they had good results.

Kathie
July 31st, 2011, 06:56 PM
just so you guys know...natural redheads have either blonde or sort of rusty brown eyebrows.
I agree, I use eyebrow/eyelash tint on my brows... a dark brown that takes in ~10min. I've been doing that for ages with red, blond, and my natural colored hair.

Arya
August 1st, 2011, 12:39 AM
I agree, I use eyebrow/eyelash tint on my brows... a dark brown that takes in ~10min. I've been doing that for ages with red, blond, and my natural colored hair.

There was a girl in my class last year who was a natural blonde, but dyed her hair fiery red. It all looked fine..until you saw her ORANGE eyebrows. There were two of us natural redheads, me with blue eyes, copper hair and white eyebrows, and another with brown eyes, rusty brown eyebrows and bright auburn hair. She clearly clued in, and dyed them back a few weeks later. I think the key is using ashy shades to get a natural look. When I pencil mine in, I always use an ash blonde pencil, and it looks very natural. I gotta get them tinted though, but I'm too nervous to go to someone else and have them messed up!

Of the Fae
August 1st, 2011, 02:50 AM
I've tried it once and they turned orangy red (weird) but it only stuck for a week and then it just washed out. I hadn't left it on very long.. thank god.
my brows are invisible:P Maybe it'd work on people with brown brows.

MonaMayfair
August 1st, 2011, 04:54 AM
I've tried henna-ing my brows LOADS of times and it's never taken.
I've left it on from 10 minutes to 2 hours, different consistencies, always covered (with cling film or sticky tape)
All that's happened is that the skin underneath gets dyed orange, but that only lasts about a day.
My eyebrows are light/medium brownish by the way.

I gave up trying ages ago, now I just use a auburn colored pencil/powder/eyebrow mousse etc.
It does work for some people, but not for many others (and of course, it's not recommended that you henna eyebrows because of the possibility of getting it in your eyes - although if you're as careful as you should be, that's not all that likely to happen!)

jackie_brown
August 1st, 2011, 05:06 AM
My eyebrows natural color was light blonde, so i decided to color them with henna... after some attempts that led to no results, i bought a semi permanent dye from the local hairdressers supplies store and color my eyebrows with it :D

PeacenQuietGal
August 1st, 2011, 07:30 AM
I henna my brows each time as well, and it sticks fairly well - however the cosmetics I use are:

La Femme eyeshadow in CLOVE to fill in brows, and set with Anastasia tinted brow gel in CARAMEL.

La Femme cosmetics are available at Makeup Alley .com

It looks really good this way!!

kaned_ferret
August 6th, 2011, 04:15 AM

I'm a natural redhead and my eyebrow hairs are naturally ginger, bright damn ginger, just like every other hair on my body haha! Even my little toe hairs are orange lol.

I actually tend to dye my brows with black dye (though wash it off after a few minutes so it's not BLACK black) and it looks fine, probably because I also tend to wear black mascara and have glasses..

eta.. of course because of the darker brows, people don't realise I'm a natural redhead, haha!

lastnite
August 6th, 2011, 10:49 AM
if you have darker eyebrows (mines are light brownish) I find that just bleaching them for 3-5 minutes max lightens them up just enough and brings out the underlying red/orange tones you get when bleaching hair... and it helps the henna look more natural.

gabee
August 6th, 2011, 10:40 PM
if you have darker eyebrows (mines are light brownish) I find that just bleaching them for 3-5 minutes max lightens them up just enough and brings out the underlying red/orange tones you get when bleaching hair... and it helps the henna look more natural.

I think I'm going to try this, my eyebrows are so dark, much too dark for both my natural hair colour (light brown) and my now relatively dark hennaed hair. I used to bleach them when I died my hair blonde but didn't think about doing it with hennaed hair. Especially now that I've grown them out to their natural shape (aka thicker) they're much too noticeable.

paleocurl
August 7th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Hi everyone. I have naturally light/medium brown hair with a light layer of henna/cassia/indigo over it, but my eyebrows and lashes are naturally medium blonde and not very visible. Once a month, after I've done my roots, I use Godefroy eyebrow tint to color my brows medium brown, clean them thoroughly and then put some leftover henna mix on them for an hour.

I do have to dribble a little water on my brows every 15 mins to stop the henna from drying out and the initial result is a bit orange. After about 30 hours however, the henna oxidizes and my brows turn a perfectly natural-looking shade of light auburn. I just disguise them with medium brown eyebrow pencil until the orange disappears.

Anje
August 8th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Some of us more contrasty redheads have black eyebrows, too. Not that it doesn't look a little strange, but I've got what I've got.

Nan
May 30th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Hiya all!
I come to you now with this problem: I'm naturally a dirty (ash) mid -blonde, so my brows are... ashish blonde. When I dyed my hair with plain henna, my brows looked okay (same shade depth?), but now that I've gone burgundy with plant dyes, my brows are just soo light. And cool toned. And the burgundy plant dye just does NOT want to stick to my brows. I use no make up, so wouldn't like having to draw my brows every single day either...
Should I just go back to the lighter henna (thought about trying to match the shade depth as well as possible) or should I just rock these non-matching brows? ie. How bad does it look in your opinion if the brows are too light? I've understood that it's considered better if they're too dark... Need help deciding!

lapushka
May 30th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Hiya all!
I come to you now with this problem: I'm naturally a dirty (ash) mid -blonde, so my brows are... ashish blonde. When I dyed my hair with plain henna, my brows looked okay (same shade depth?), but now that I've gone burgundy with plant dyes, my brows are just soo light. And cool toned. And the burgundy plant dye just does NOT want to stick to my brows. I use no make up, so wouldn't like having to draw my brows every single day either...
Should I just go back to the lighter henna (thought about trying to match the shade depth as well as possible) or should I just rock these non-matching brows? ie. How bad does it look in your opinion if the brows are too light? I've understood that it's considered better if they're too dark... Need help deciding!

When I did henna, I didn't dye my brows at all. I have an ash-tone too. It was red as red can be, and obviously my brows didn't match, but I didn't mind at all.

Nightshade
May 30th, 2018, 03:38 PM
Hiya all!

I did a blog post not long ago showing how I henna eyebrows (https://nightbloominggarden.com/2018/03/henna-eyebrows-facial-hair/).

I have to hit mine with a little peroxide first or the henna doesn't stick, and I find I have to use straight henna, anything cut with cassia (like I use on the head on my hair) just doesn't take. I know at least one person who does a henndigo blend on her brows and is really happy with the results, so perhaps that's an option? Or henndigo over top of a first pass of just henna on brows.

Queerantine
May 30th, 2018, 05:38 PM
I just made sure my brows were good and clean first, made sure I roughed up my eyebrows with the henna to get all the strands coated on all sides, cleaned up my lines and any mistakes, then left the henna on the whole time it was in my hair, with plastic wrap over my brows - I have light ash brown hair naturally, so my eyebrows looked almost faintly greenish against my hennaed hair if left undone. The result was super natural looking, and I did this for about a year. Ultimately, I decided decided I wanted a darker brow so I switched to henndigo, and LOVED it. It gave a different effect but also looked natural, and seemed to last longer.