PDA

View Full Version : What is your best secret for hair growth?

Fluffy01
June 26th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I know some ladies swear by Monistat...is that still working out? What about hair growth pills/vitamins? I feel like my hair has stopped lol. I take a very close replica of Bargello's vitamin reg. So it can't be that. I'm getting so impatient. :/ Thanks ladies.

HaiirPEACE
June 26th, 2008, 02:35 PM
i would love to know this i'm dying just to hit asl =[

Medvssa
June 26th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Forget about it?

suicides_eve
June 26th, 2008, 02:38 PM
what do you mean by working out? i been using it almost a year straight and swear by it for growth, fullness, and getting rid of dandruff/ "weeping scalp" as i call it

also being kid free for a weekend helps me from pulling out my valuable hair

chrissy-b
June 26th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Weird, I was just thinking about posting a thread like this. I know there are threads in the archives where members have discussed certain things that help maximize their growth rate, but nothing here.

I too would love to hear from everyone about what has worked for them to increase their growth.

For me, monistat has worked for new growth--thin spots have filled in dramatically since starting this treatment but I don't use it on my entire head (only where there is thinning). I'm terrible at taking vitamins on a regular basis so I don't know if any one thing helps with growth there. Scalp massages and scalp brushing has also helped thicken my hair but I'm not sure with speeding up the rate of growth.

Anyone else have anything that they've tried that's worked?

aisling
June 26th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Patience, lots of it.

missmanytoes
June 26th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Sleep. Lots of it. Diet. A decent one and vitamins are optional. Keep the hair up and put the scissors away.

chrissy-b
June 26th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Patience, lots of it.

Of course, patience is key. So is gentle treatment and protection to keep the length we've gained. But I think what were looking for are regimens that maximize growth for those who are below average growers.

camara
June 26th, 2008, 02:56 PM
In few words?

Braid and forget. :)

FlipHunny
June 26th, 2008, 03:11 PM
It's not so much a secret, but it made the whole growth process more tolerable for me :)

I just did my best to not think about or pay attention to my length. I wore it up all the time. In buns, ponytails, anything that wouldn't let me see the length. Then when I finally checked it in a few weeks or months, it was like a nice surprise.

Also, keeping it up all the time helped prevent breakage.

Ndnlady
June 26th, 2008, 03:12 PM
For me I noticed a difference when I started taking not just a vitamin but I also take omega-3 vitamins (the fish oil vitamins) I get them from trader joes and they are supposed to be molecularly distilled. If you are iron deficient in any way - like me, I'm anemic, you need to eat not only a good diet, but that is the other reason why I take a multi-vitamin every day, because a lack of iron could also stunt the growth of your hair, but then you can't take too much iron because that can be dangerous! Some form of excercise is also good.
And as almost everyone else has said, you just have to forget about it, but take care of it.;)

aisling
June 26th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Of course, patience is key. So is gentle treatment and protection to keep the length we've gained. But I think what were looking for are regimens that maximize growth for those who are below average growers.

What you are looking for still doesn't exists if you don't have the patience to keep up with that regimen :rolleyes:

Anje
June 26th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Staying healthy and WO washing... I attribute my mass of baby hairs to WO washing. Unfortunately, my DH prefers my scalp to smell like conditioner.

HeatherMae
June 26th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Right after my hair cut disaster I was miserable. I wanted growth FAST. So I ran out and bought the vitamins for hair skin and nails. I don't remember what brand they were though I am sure it was an off brand because I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I took the vitamins for the first 3 months and for those 3 months I got an inch of growth each month. After that I stopped buying the vitamins. The other day I found myself wondering why my hair hasn't been growing as fast as it was. And the only thing that I can think of is the vitamins. Right now without the vitamins I am getting less then 1/2 inch of growth each month.

jojo
June 26th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Kelp, a multi vitamin and monistat (just gone back to that) have all worked for me!

Finoriel
June 26th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Thatīs easy :wink: not a secret at all.
Eat healthy food, exercise, feel happy and balanced. No stress. Lots of time and patience, enjoying the way of growing, benign neglect. Hair grows while you do not watch :p I just go on with busy living and my hair grows while Iīm not watching.
Miracle pills, creams, hair-waters and sleeping like a bat to increase blood circulation in the scalp area mostly are either placebos and just nice to kill some time on the way or not foreseeable in their side effects. Nothing for me, I prefer to just enjoy the way :)

girlcat36
June 26th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I am a very slow grower, plus dealing with the loss of at least half my hair last year.
I use monistat, scalp massage, and a BBB(on scalp only, not the length!)
I take iron, a multivitamin, silica, MSM, fish oil, and Evening Primrose Oil.
I am fairly happy with my growth in the last 10 months since I joined LHC, but I will post pics in August showing one year's progress.

honeybunch
June 26th, 2008, 05:36 PM
My secret to retaining length is protective styling. I keep my hair in braids then basically forget about them. My hair grows and grows and grows.

Right now I'm trying to use several ayurvedic oils. I will let y'all know if that speeds up my growth.

OH yes and I try to stay away from harsh things. Less is more. Most days I rinse with a rosemary tea then I condition as needed.

SHADOWSCODE46
June 26th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I may get flack for this but honesty my growth aide is washing frequently. When my scalp is clean my hair seems to grow like a weed. Every day when I am rinsing it in the shower it seems to just get longer and longer down my back.

I conditioner wash daily with a silicone free conditioner, and shampoo twice a week or so with a natural shampoo. As long as my hair is getting rinsed/wet down in some way daily it is a happy camper.

renarok
June 26th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Nioxin scalp therapy
Benign neglect
Vitamin Supplements

GlennaGirl
June 26th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Time, just time. :) At least for me. I know a lot of the supplements and things listed have worked for many people, so they're definitely worth a shot.

But for me, it has just taken time, and that's it. Nothing has sped the growth process up and I'm just enjoying it at each length all the way down.

Oneya
June 26th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I cosign with everyone else( about eating health, exercising, and supplements)..also remember protective styles to retain all of your growth, minimize the heat for more retention, and deep condition to restore your hair.

.Amanaka.
June 26th, 2008, 10:17 PM
To steal someone's slogan... Set it and forget it. I will admit that I don't try many of the 'miracle' hair growth aides out there, but I have gone from shoulders to waist in just about three years. Mostly just with patience and benign neglect.

I have found that a simple, gentle routine helps the condition of my hair. Keeping it protected helps as well, as it keeps me from needing to trim as often and keeps my ends healthier, so I don't have to lose them. Oils and other products help to keep the moisture in, which helps to make it healthier.

There used to be a member here... cortese maybe? I still remember her advice to grow hair, which was to keep it up every day, all the time, unless you are sleeping. I started doing that, and it seems like every time I notice my hair, it's a little longer.

Of course, I can only say that this worked for me. I could be more involved with my hair, but that craze passed a while ago.

Mukss
June 27th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Hi all, my hair has become pathetic in the past 10years!!! I am balding from the front!!! and I am just 29!! I am using Nioxin, Biotin capsules and multi-vitamins.....pls suggest something which can make hair grow on my almost visible scalp!!! Will Monistat work?

I went for a scalp analysis and they told me that hair will not grow from the area where the pores are closed!!!

Starr
June 27th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Drink lots of water, eat a balanced diet and have patience. . . at least that's what works for me.

cheekytweety
June 27th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I take vitamins.

willowcandra
June 27th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Eat your veggies -lots of. Take a multi vitamin. Get plenty of fluids. Take regular exercise. Braid and forget it.

Most things come down to a sensible diet and exercise.:)

Vegetable consumption seems to be really important to hair growth...and don't forget your beans!(too many people don't eat enough beans and they are magical I tells ya.)

Hypnotica
June 27th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Don't forget to eat proteins and lots of good fats.

MoonCreature
June 27th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Eat healthy and diverse, that is don't always eat the carrot but take an tomato instead, different vegetables/fruits/seeds etc contain different vitamins and have different effects on you. It's good to vary to get the most out of your food. Eat a lot of colors is a good tip! Don't do any diet that cuts out any of the nutrition groups, like fat or carbo hydrates. Your body need them.

Drink enough of water, but don't overdo it. Too much waterdrinking drains your body from essential minerals that you also need to function. It also puts your kidneys&bladder under strain.

Exercise regulary to get your metabolism going (it's also important to eat regulary to get this).

And when it comes to the hair itself, keep your scalp healthy and the bloodflow good (massage, scritch, clarify, brush with BBB), be gentle with the hair and give it moisture (so that it will grow long and not brake of), put it up and forget about it. Too much fussing about it won't help, only make it worse. Personally I don't do much with my hair on a daily basis. I put it up every morning before even passing a mirror, wash it every 3-5 day, scritch in the eavning and braid for the night. The occational time when I have it down I'm always glad to see that "oh, it's gained some length and looks good!".

Mukss
June 27th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks a lot.....will be more regular in taking care of my diet :)

Darkhorse1
June 27th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I know a friend of my mom's, who was losing hair due to stress, went to a woman who did scalp massages and it really stimulated new hair growth.

Ok, I don't mean to be gross--but isn't Monistat a medication for..um...yeast infections?

roxyhead
June 27th, 2008, 10:50 AM
What about thinning? It's so hard to forget it when you see so much of it on the floor and in the drain all the time! I thought I'd recovered mostly from the last bout of drug induced crazy shedding (Alesse birth control pills), and now I've started Topamax and it seems to be making me do it, too! I hit the Monistat thread and I'd consider that...if it weren't for the reports of headaches people are sometimes getting from it. That's why I'm taking the stuff. I don't think it was anything in particular I took that helped the first shed, just time off the pills, which I can't really do with this one... I've got fish oil, selenium, biotin, iron, and multivitamins...what else?

Mukss
June 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM
So Monistat is a safe retreat for thin hair?!

girlcat36
June 27th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Monistat is simply an antifungal cream. Yes, it is marketed for 'down there'. Yet it is no different than any other antifungal that you would use for jock-itch, ringworm, athlete's foot, or ssome types of dandruff. The fact the it is used for yeast infections is a little off-putting, but really it's not a big deal.
I have thin hair and I use it.

xrosiex
June 27th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Thatīs easy :wink: not a secret at all.
Eat healthy food, exercise, feel happy and balanced. No stress. Lots of time and patience, enjoying the way of growing, benign neglect. Hair grows while you do not watch :p I just go on with busy living and my hair grows while Iīm not watching.
Miracle pills, creams, hair-waters and sleeping like a bat to increase blood circulation in the scalp area mostly are either placebos and just nice to kill some time on the way or not foreseeable in their side effects. Nothing for me, I prefer to just enjoy the way :)
I agree totally with Finoreil!!! She has found the secret to growing hair.:)

Aisha25
June 27th, 2008, 05:34 PM
My secret: leave it alone.. no blowfry no flatiron no chemicals no dyes just natural things and let it grow. Eat healthy and no fussing and complaining about it. It makes my hair grow super fast and always be thankful you have the hair you have;).

Tap Dancer
June 27th, 2008, 06:52 PM
My secret is to ignore it. I don't touch it for 1-2 years at a time and it gets pretty long. It's been 11 months since my last haircut and I don't plan to trim it for at least another year...maybe longer.

Tap Dancer
June 27th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I went back and read the other replies after I posted.

I eat junk all the time. I eat fried foods, fast food, and candy. The only fruit I eat is bananas and I don't eat any veggies. I do drink only water, though. My hair and nails grow fast anyway. I'm losing weight because I'm eating smaller amounts of bad foods but that's still all I eat. LOL

So a healthy diet is a good idea, of course, but hair can still grow fast if you don't make the healthiest choices. Well, for me, anyway.

LadyMoon11
June 27th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Gentleness. I just remind myself of the structure and fragility of my hair while handling it.
Heat styling ONLY with steam rollers on the rare occasion that I get gussied up.
Though it certainly is not for everyone, henna has helped strengthen my hair some, and has helped keep the ends from breaking as much.

tiny_teesha
June 28th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Staying healthy and WO washing... I attribute my mass of baby hairs to WO washing. Unfortunately, my DH prefers my scalp to smell like conditioner.

- I *think* it is more due to massageing the scalp increasing blood flow?

The monistat increases oxygen into the hair ( i think i remember reading that somewhere?) which also kills any fungus which might be inpairing growth which would already be present in small healthy amounts (unless you have scalp issues)

There has been proof that a certain percentage (i think it was .15%) of caffiene increased hair growth- but too much or too little stunted it.

There was also a test with a carrier oil, and a carrier oil with rosemary and a few otehr essential oils known for hair stimulation and there was improvement in both but markedly more in the one with the essential oils.

I haven't tried anything other then vitamins. Lately i've been sleeping more, i'm pretty unhealthy at the moment and i don't excersise but i found i shot out a lot more growth last month....strangley. (2cm instead of 1) It could be a mis measure...i doubt it though. It may be the season, perhaps i do grow more in winter? It may be the herbs i wash my hair with, who knows. It may be that i had a mini trial with WO, causeing the massaging to help the hairs get more blood???

I've tried to be more healthy this month so see if it keeps up! :)

Mukss
June 28th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Is Jojoba helpful? what about market hot-oil treatments?

FlipHunny
June 28th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I saw it mentioned earlier, rosemary EO.
I've been really into my EO's lately and remember that this supposedly stimulates hair growth.

Mike
June 28th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Lots of protein and excercise. Ever since I started eating lots of chicken and fish and do at least 4 or 5 days of medium intense cardio a week my hair has grown much more quickly. Drink lots of water too.
Mike

yogachic
June 28th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Be patient