PDA

View Full Version : hey everyone, what hair toys are the best?

evan1989
July 31st, 2011, 08:29 AM
hey everyone, i would like to buy some hair toys and accessories, so to those of you who love your hair accessories which ones would you recommend? i have already bought a tangle teezer and i absolutely love it, :laugh:

BlazingHeart
July 31st, 2011, 09:14 AM
My favorite toy I own is my Grah-Toe Studios fork. Yeah, they're a bit expensive, but I think of it as an investment. The hold is rock-solid and the work is beautiful, and I like that I'm supporting artists by buying these rather than big companies.

My hair isn't long enough yet for sticks, so I really can't speak to pros and cons on them.

The other toys that see a lot of time in my hair are a double-pointed knitting needle pin (you fold the needle in half around a 1" dowel and you basically have a giant hairpin), a fakkare (which I like better than the real thing becasue it's so much lighter, even if it doesn't have the teeth to steady it), and my flexi-8s. If I had my leather leaf slide barette, it would be in heavy rotation too - slides are nice.

At your length, I'd say flexis and clips like ficcares and fakkares (that is, clips that look like ficcares) are going to be your best bet. You're a bit short yet for most fork and stick styles.

You might also think about getting a slide barette. Beadmask at Etsy is doing one custom for me, but there are a number of places you can get simple leather slides, like 2oldhippies at Etsy. I don't own a piece from either yet, so all I can say is that Beadmask was very pleasant to talk to about setting up my custom piece.

~Blaze

Madora
July 31st, 2011, 11:49 AM
Here's a link to the Flexi 8 company:

http://www.flexi8.com/

I'm not much on hairtoys, but found the Flexi 8 to be both beautiful and practical and easy to use, and not damaging to my hair (provided it was removed carefully).

pepperminttea
July 31st, 2011, 11:52 AM
It depends on your hairtype, length (and your goal length), and the styles you do most often. What do you want your hairtoys to hold? :)

Zesty
July 31st, 2011, 12:48 PM
Hands down, my Grah-Toe Studios fork. It was expensive, yes, but it holds any style comfortably, never pulls, and looks fantastic. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. It's my only fork, but the difference between that fork and my sticks is amazing, so I'm hoping to get more.

bushy
July 31st, 2011, 01:00 PM
I went out looking for supplies and everything in the traditional stores is made of cheap damaging plastic. I am going for the real stuff too. I did buy my first set of sticks and love, love , love them. Wish I would have had these all along.

Fairlight63
July 31st, 2011, 01:08 PM
What I use the most is Ficcares, small mini clips, large & small bobby pins & I am on a headband kick right now. Oh, I also use a BBB & a wide tooth horn comb.
That is usually what will stay in my thin, fine hair.

rags
July 31st, 2011, 01:49 PM
It totally depends on your hair type, what kind of buns you want to do , length, etc. I'm unsure if your avatar or your stats are correct for your current length?

If your hair is shorter, I would definetly recommend the flexi's. And headbands are great for shorter hair - I've got a lot of them! :D (After a chop in October, my hair is growing back, but still too short for most of my forks and sticks).

If your hair is longer, I'd recommend you read some of the Hairtoy Addict thread. We pretty much cover most of the toys in there, and there are lots of pictures. Also, most of us are quite.....extensive......collectors, so we can give you good advice on different toys. :D

ddiana1979
July 31st, 2011, 02:45 PM
Ficcare's & Goody Spin Pins. :D

Lianna
July 31st, 2011, 04:19 PM
Personal opinion: hair sticks, flexi 8, decorated U hair pins and 2-3 prong forks.

CaliRose
July 31st, 2011, 07:46 PM
I like Timberstone Turnings sticks (you can find them on Etsy.com) and Goody Spin Pins (drugstores).

The sticks are an investment price-wise, but *completely* worth every cent. They are my favorite hair toys, hands down. I take mine everywhere with me- they hold my thick hair in a bun like no other fork, stick, or clip can! Plus, you can order a custom stick and there are lots and lots of options for colors, wood types, etc. to choose from.

The Spin Pins save me about 5,000 bobby pins. They come in packs of two in several shades to match your hair color and blend in nicely. I used to split my bobby pins all the time and have to throw them away after one use but these little guys are strong! Plus, it's so convenient to carry a couple of Spin Pins in your purse or bag instead of a bunch of bobby pins :)

CathyEarnshaw
July 31st, 2011, 09:18 PM
I'm loving Flexi-8s. I also love French combs to hold my hair in a French Twist. I got a pony tail pouf from Clair's. It's a comb that holds up your ponytail and makes it look very pretty. I love ornamental combs to hold the sides of my hair back.

Miss Maisie
July 31st, 2011, 09:25 PM
My hair is only shoulder length, but I am loving my Goody Spin Pins! I can see how I will like them even more as my hair gets closer to APL.

Sundial
July 31st, 2011, 10:13 PM
For your length, I think you can start out with Flexi 8s and spin pins :D