PDA

View Full Version : want to get back to virgin hair

evan1989
July 31st, 2011, 08:14 AM
hey lovelys, can any of you help? ive dyed my hair for years and would really like to get back to my natural color hair, as i think my hair would be in better condition and my hair would continue to grow without any roots, therefore i would have to keep dying it, what is the best way to get back to my virgin hair? some people have suggested growing the dyed hair out and cutting it off as i go and others have suggested dying my hair as close to my natural colour and my hair that way, what do you guys think? :p

HollyG
July 31st, 2011, 08:17 AM
I've got to be honest what i did was actually dye it as close as possible to my natural colour, my roots are by my eyes now and you can only tell the two colours apart when the light hits it (my natural colour is dull).
To prevent needing to adjust the colour i suggest going to the hairdressers with a picture of you with your natural colour and they'll be able to sort it for you.

evan1989
July 31st, 2011, 08:24 AM
thankyou, i think out of all the suggestions your one is the one im going to do, i don't think i want to dye it exactly the same colour, but very close, as i want to see where my dyed hair is and where my natural, no dye hair is, to see how far down the dyed hair gets, and how long until its all grown out and cut off, thankyou for your tip, :)

spidermom
July 31st, 2011, 10:55 AM
The two or three times I decided to go back to natural color, I just quit bleaching or henna-ing and let my hair be two tone, which doesn't bother me at all. I know it drives some people crazy. Having uneven, untrimmed ends drives me crazy, so I guess we're even.

Night_Kitten
July 31st, 2011, 11:59 AM
It depends on how much will having two-toned hair bother you
If you don't mind it, then just stop coloring and let it grow...
But if it bothers you, better to go to a professional who can do a good job at matching the length close to your real colour (even though it would mean dying it one "extra" time) instead of looking in the mirror every day and hating how it looks...

Vlientje
July 31st, 2011, 12:06 PM
The one time I decided to go back to my natural color, I just let it grow out. I had brown, a bit of purple and some blonde. But it just faded after a while and it didn't really bother me.
And when I was all done I was like; Hey, let's get it reeed :')

But now, if I'd ever want to go back, I would just dye it close to my own color..

jel
July 31st, 2011, 02:41 PM
The two or three times I decided to go back to natural color, I just quit bleaching or henna-ing and let my hair be two tone, which doesn't bother me at all. I know it drives some people crazy. Having uneven, untrimmed ends drives me crazy, so I guess we're even.

Two-toned hair bothers me a little, but not enough to actually do something about it. Untrimmed, uneven ends don't bother me at all. I'm almost hair zen! :silly:

The actual reason why I decided not to dye the length to match the roots is damage - even semi-permanent dyes damage the hairshaft, especially if used repeatedly (and it's doubtful that they would cover the henna for very long).

lizdini
July 31st, 2011, 02:47 PM
I cut it all off. But now it feels like forever to grow back. I guess it just depends on your goals.

MamaCimino
July 31st, 2011, 03:30 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, I have med/dark blonde hair naturally and I lighten it. I really don't like the way my natural hair color looks on me, I'm very fair skinned and to me it just look bad. When I was little it was light and I'm not sure when it started to darken. It probably wouldn't look bad if I had my natural color, I'm just used to having lighter hair that I think darker hair doesnt look nice. I'm thinking after the summer is over i'll use a semi permanent color to match my roots, or try out lightening it with honey... Has anyone tried that?

KittyLost
August 1st, 2011, 02:17 AM
I dyed it close to my natural colour. I also put a bleached streak in underneath because the dye matches my natural colour very close so I can't really tell. I use the streak as a marker to see how my hair has grown.

Joliebaby
August 1st, 2011, 02:31 AM
I cut it off because my virgin hair was lighter in color, as well as more cool-toned, so it was impossible to get it to match without bleaching and re-dyeing, and even then it would not be a perfect match, plus my hair had already some damage and I didn't want any more. I also had growing out bangs and more severe layers than I liked, so I just cut it off at just below chin.

To a lot of people my color difference was not bad at all, but it all bothered me :)

So it really comes down to whether you are cool with two-toned hair. I decided I was too obsessed and annoyed by it and would rather grow it out again. Immediately afterward I regretted cutting and missed the length terribly, but I've gotten used to it now and can appreciate the ease and how it looks nice.. so I can wait a couple of years to grow it back.

Avital88
August 1st, 2011, 03:14 AM
I dont know what your color is now and what your natural color is.
But i always do it like this, I went many times from black to my naturalbrown and lighter. Usually i just putted in highlights and sun in on my lenght over the months. Yes then it turned out lighter then my natural color but it blended very well and i ended up with the ombre look, it took a while for my hair to look natural.one year exactly, but then only the first 10 inches where natural and the rest lighter.i think it looks better to have lighter ends then a big demarcation line. so i choose option 2, i did one as well once and it looked horrible for months

Mrspuddinhead
August 1st, 2011, 08:13 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. I don't really mind the two tone so I'm growing my hair out to its natural color. Once my virgin natural hair reaches a more desirable length I will cut off the colored portion. True its along process but I think my hair will be much healthier.

whitestiletto
August 1st, 2011, 08:23 PM
Once I wanted my virgin hair back so I cut it all off into the shortest pixie possible, but then I hated having short hair. If you get the urge to do that, maybe do it in stages, cut it to shoulder first, live with it for a month, then see if you want to keep going.

At this stage in my life, two-toned hair wouldn't bother me. However -- Are you trying to go to a lighter or darker hair color? I just matched my roots by dying the length of my hair with hendigo, and I'm happy as a clam -- no damage, no roots.

You might be able to darken your blonde hair with an herbal thing, but you'd have to do a bit of research, I think there's threads for ash blonde tones.

ladyfey
August 1st, 2011, 09:50 PM
I colored as close to my natural color as possible and grew it. I intended to not cut it off, but once the natural part hit shoulder, I hacked it off and then grew it out from there! One of the best decisions I ever made. It is so much easier not coloring! :)

McFearless
August 1st, 2011, 09:55 PM
If you are going to dye your hair as close to your natural colour as possible, I'd recommend you dye only the hair that has been coloured in the past. No need to dye the virgin roots too(if you have any).

jojo
August 2nd, 2011, 09:32 AM
If your hair is dyed darker than your natural colour id highly recommend Colour B4 it helped me rid of my hair from
this http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/sockbun.jpgto this http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/likenatural.jpg. My natural colour is this http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/crop.jpg so pretty good match. There is still a teeny bit of red but no glare in the sun and my hair is back to its former fine self.

Bianca
August 2nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
I colored as close to my natural color as possible and grew it. I intended to not cut it off, but once the natural part hit shoulder, I hacked it off and then grew it out from there! One of the best decisions I ever made. It is so much easier not coloring! :)

I did the same. And yes, so much easier not coloring, no roots, no hassle, love it :p