PDA

View Full Version : Fringe/Bangs problem (I guess(

HollyG
July 31st, 2011, 08:09 AM
I am new and will put an intro up later.
Basically before i joined I stopped using heat products (used hair dryer daily beforehand as my hair gets greasy quickly).
This means that my fringe doesn't dry very well, i have to part it to the side when it's drying as it is a long fringe (just below my eyebrows) and i wear glasses so a wet fringe will get annoying. When it drys it won't go back down; it is quite thick and when i comb it down it still has a part in it. :(
My question is; does anyone know how to stop this and get it dry down properly? I tried leaving it in the towel or tied up but i get something similar to devil horns. :twisted:
I've had to start growing my fringe out now even though i prefer having one (i'm surprised i haven't given up with the fringe).
Oh i can't just dry my fringe with the dryer either as i'm going to uni in two months and i know people will have a laugh with sopping wet hair and a dry fringe :eyebrows:
Thanks (especially if you can understand the babbling haha)

aliceinmadness
July 31st, 2011, 10:26 AM
IMO, try not washing every day for a little while. Most people find that their hair adjusts to it and stops producing so much oil.

After that, I don't personally see the problem in flat-ironing or blow-drying your bangs every couple of days. I have a long fringe and I use heat on it to shape it...frankly it grows so fast and gets cut again that I've never had a problem with it.

Arya
July 31st, 2011, 10:31 AM
dry shampoo on your fringe when it gets greasy, and try drying it pinned up flat to your head, or in a pouf.

PorkChop
July 31st, 2011, 11:51 AM
I just blow-dry my fringe, and leave the rest.! I dont think it looks stupid at all

Coffeebug
July 31st, 2011, 12:02 PM
I don't use heat on the length of my hair, but I do on my fringe cos I figure it's too short to matter. I have an air styler with an attachment that looks like straighteners, but does just blast warm air through. That's handy for isolated fringe-drying!

chahuahuas
July 31st, 2011, 12:58 PM
Oh i can't just dry my fringe with the dryer either as i'm going to uni in two months and i know people will have a laugh with sopping wet hair and a dry fringe :eyebrows:

coming from someone already at a "uni" (we just call it college here in the states :lol:), no one is going to laugh at you if your bangs are dry while the bulk of your hair is wet. i promise. i bet noone will even notice. in fact, i do much sillier things to my hair around my roommates all the time (like this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8222&pictureid=107353)). it looks a little wierd, but they REALLY don't care.

I don't personally see the problem in flat-ironing or blow-drying your bangs every couple of days. I have a long fringe and I use heat on it to shape it...frankly it grows so fast and gets cut again that I've never had a problem with it.

I definitely agree. I've had various lengths of bangs and I have very curly hair, so the only way for me to make it work was to flat iron it. I ended up trimming them off in the long run, so the heat damage didn't matter to me at all. Even if you grow them out, you usually need to "shape" them into face framing layers so they don't look weird. So one way or another, the damage will get trimmed off eventually.

dry shampoo on your fringe when it gets greasy, and try drying it pinned up flat to your head, or in a pouf.

I agree!! My forehead is oily, so dry shampoo was the ONLY thing that worked for my bangs. It was so awesome to be able to dry up the grease on my bangs, allowing me to put off washing the rest of my hair for a while. It's much healthier to just use some dry shampoo on them, rather than have to wash and flat iron them all over again. Plus, dry shampoo fluffs your bangs up nicely (not in a frizzy way, just so that they don't stick to your forehead) so you don't need to use heat styling on them again.

pepperminttea
July 31st, 2011, 01:15 PM
If you're maintaining your fringe rather than growing it out, you can do pretty much anything to it; think of it as having part of your hair in a pixie cut. :D That hair will get trimmed much more often than the rest of your hair, so you can use heat, dye, etc., and the damage will all grow out and be trimmed off within in a few months. :)

Chetanlaiho
July 31st, 2011, 01:17 PM
I do heatstyle my bangs since they're too short to really get too damaged to break off. But I find what helps is using a clip or something to weigh them down so they dry straight, it's annoying while it's drying because it's in between my eyes with the clip but afterwards it usually behaves.

denzelswifey86
July 31st, 2011, 01:20 PM
when my bangs were shorter - i would just pin it to the side - then let it down and it stays stright! dunno if you just comb/brush it to the side without pinning it but try pinning it! a little heat on low will not cause too much damage

monsterna
July 31st, 2011, 01:37 PM
Why not shower at night instead? Then let it airdry and sleep. In the morning just re-wet (maybe even use shampoo or something on them other than just water) and blow dry them how you want to. The blow dryer is pretty essential to some people's bangs. They can look pretty wonky since they shrink up into awkward positions if not pin straight or heat styled. Just use a low heat or cool setting.

Cowgirl16
July 31st, 2011, 01:39 PM
Before I grew my bangs out I always blew them dry :shrug: I never thought about if I looked funny or not.

jacqueline101
July 31st, 2011, 02:40 PM
I have bangs or fringe as you may know them as. I have changed my style of bangs this year. I went from thin straight basic bangs to a pixie style. I cut them within a month a part. My hair growth in that area is great. I do think you could use heated appliances on them due to the rate of growth. I do think the dry shampoo would be good too. Maybe a new style of bangs might suit you. If they are thick then try thinner styled.

HintOfMint
July 31st, 2011, 03:42 PM
I have bangs/fringe, and I flat iron them whenever I'm wearing them out (as in not pinned back or in a headband) because I trim them so often that any damage that eventually shows will get trimmed away.

And I am heat-free otherwise.

Arya
July 31st, 2011, 04:21 PM
I agree!! My forehead is oily, so dry shampoo was the ONLY thing that worked for my bangs. It was so awesome to be able to dry up the grease on my bangs, allowing me to put off washing the rest of my hair for a while. It's much healthier to just use some dry shampoo on them, rather than have to wash and flat iron them all over again. Plus, dry shampoo fluffs your bangs up nicely (not in a frizzy way, just so that they don't stick to your forehead) so you don't need to use heat styling on them again.

Yeah, it's a great way to get big sexy tousled volume, on your fringe roots and on the rest of your roots as well! It's just harder to brush out the rest of your hair

Ithonna
July 31st, 2011, 04:48 PM
I see no problem in using heat just on your fringe. I know with my hair, to keep my fringe the way I want it I have to trim before any major damage shows on the ends. Just make sure you include your fringe with the love treatments you give your length. It works for me.

alwayssmiling
July 31st, 2011, 04:57 PM
Hello I do fringe washes as my fringe gets greasy really really quickly. When its drying I comb my fringe in the opposite direction, when its a little dry on one side I then swaps sides and comb to the opposite direction (does that make sense). I keep changing direction until it dries. This makes it sit nice and not curl up, but takes time.

Failing that I just blow dry on a gentle heat and flat iron away! (It gets trimmed every 3 weeks)

Arashi
July 31st, 2011, 06:53 PM
Who cares if people laugh? I love my fringe right now and for the longest time I've only blowdried that part of my hair while I leave the rest to airdry. It quickly gives me the look I want, doesn't harm the rest of my hair, and I really don't think having a dry fringe while the length is wet looks bad. Also, if I left it to airdry my fringe would dry first anyway.

DarkSky
July 31st, 2011, 07:29 PM
You should try a medium/large width velcro roller. Just roll it on and let it stay there for several minutes while you are getting ready and at least it will take on a shape that may not air dry completely funny.

HollyG
August 1st, 2011, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the replies :-)
I did give in earlier and cut them back to eyebrow length. I only used the cooler setting of the dryer and my hair actually looks better lol.
If i keep my fringe up it'll stay up so i ideally need to keep it down. I don't see how the cool shot will harm it too much. I will see about getting dry shampoo too :-)

chahuahuas
August 1st, 2011, 07:38 AM
Also, if I left it to airdry my fringe would dry first anyway.

Good point, haha. Another reason nobody would look at you funny.

ETA: Even if you did look funny, they probably won't look at you funny. And if they do, they suck and you should just ignore them!