PDA

View Full Version : Using eyeshadow for temporarily colouring hair

julliams
July 30th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Found this today and thought it might be of interest to someone.

http://www.lovekevinmurphy.com/news/ombre-with-eye-shadow

whitestiletto
July 30th, 2011, 05:38 PM
That's very interesting! Maybe I'll take some eyeshadow I don't use anymore and crush it into my hair... I'd be worried it would just fall out though.

Yame
July 30th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Too bad my hair is black... no way this would work on me :(

Thinthondiel
July 30th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Wouldn't it get on clothes and furniture?

Leucothea
July 30th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Maybe if you mixed a pigment with coconut oil or something, it would stay longer and be less messy than just chucking eye-shadow in you hair haha

I think my hair is too dark for this work, but if you have light brown or blonde hair it would be pretty and damage free :)

boomtownrat
July 30th, 2011, 06:39 PM
This would be great for going to the club on those rare occasions when I actually do go out these days. I have some red and blue eyeshadows I can try this with and I just might do a little test patch tonight before I wash it. :)

whitestiletto
July 30th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Actually, I think this might show up very well on dark hair, since it's a solid pigment that rests on top of the hair. Someone dark haired should try!

spidermom
July 30th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I wouldn't want it coming off on my clothing, which is what I expect would happen.

I saw "mascara" for touching up hair color/roots recently; thought that was interesting.

kwaniesiam
July 30th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Seems like a waste of eyeshadow to me. I've used texturizing powders before, they're great for short hair but can really gunk up longer hair. If you want to add a temporary pop of color try clip in extensions or the cans of spray color.

SoulOfTheSea
July 30th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Ooooooo I must try this!!!

boomtownrat
July 30th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Shortly after reading this and posting that I wanted to try it, I did two small test spots of purple eyeshadow to see how it would work on my silver/white hair and on some darker pewter-tinted hair under the canopy. It looked equally vibrant on both spots and when I oiled my hair and scalp, it already started to come out, so I don't think it'll be hard to wash this out at all. It seems like it could be time consuming to do more than a little streak, so I doubt I'll be attempting any sort of ombre effect.

I wouldn't want it coming off on my clothing, which is what I expect would happen.

I saw "mascara" for touching up hair color/roots recently; thought that was interesting.

It does seem like it could come off on clothes, but my hair is still too short for it to come into contact with anything I'm wearing. While my hair is still short, I think this could be a fun thing to do once in a while.

My best friend in high school used purple or magenta hair mascara to "dye" the natural white streak in her otherwise naturally black hair. I always envied her white streak and her widow's peak, which she hated. Anyway, that was in 1988-89. I've noticed other stuff from that era coming back, like the Zinka brand tinted zinc oxide I used to see in the drugstore. This whole idea of smushing eyeshadow into hair reminds me of when I first heard of using eyeshadow and lip balm to make tinted lip balm back in 1988 or so. :)

Seems like a waste of eyeshadow to me. I've used texturizing powders before, they're great for short hair but can really gunk up longer hair. If you want to add a temporary pop of color try clip in extensions or the cans of spray color.

It's not a waste if the eyeshadow is a colour you like, but one that you don't find flattering on your eyelids. :) I love wearing red and it looks good on me, but as an eyeshadow it's hard to wear without looking like I've been crying. Due to a big sale at Ulta, I have a handful of Nyx eyeshadows that I love in theory, but find hard to wear in most situations. They'd all make good streak shadows.

julliams
July 30th, 2011, 09:19 PM
There is a podcast to see it being put in. http://www.kevinmurphy.com.au/podcasts/podcast.detail.php?id=141 It's really just a one off thing - I think it would be great for going to a concert or else for costume purposes.