PDA

View Full Version : the smell of colour B4, how to get rid of it..advice needed!

jojo
July 30th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Well my hair stinks of rotten eggy farts, seriously horrible since using the colour B4. It did its job and I am very pleased to have my natural colour back but man the smell is nauseating. Any ideas how to get rid of the smell?

Free beer for any good suggestions:D

greygardens
July 30th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Do you do vinegar rinses? I used to do a vinegar rinse after dyeing to get rid of the smell. Don't know if it would work on colour b4 though.

jojo
July 30th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Yes I do white vinegar rinses it hasnt worked as yet, may do another tomorrow. Thanks.

Slinks
July 30th, 2011, 05:16 PM
oh poor Jojo .. stinky eggy farts following you around all day !! Maybe instead of giving away the free beer pour it on your head with the vinagar .. come to think of it don't they use a spot of Bi-Carb in the cupboard/fridge etc for smells ?? maybe a Bi-Carb wash followed by a vinager rince - vanilla is a smell ridder too ..

jojo
July 31st, 2011, 05:27 PM
Still smells of farts, was at work today and it ponged; all the assistants was checking the patients! but I ddint have the heart to say my hair was the culprit. My husband keeps thinking the dog has farted and letting it out!

what to do?

two_wheels
July 31st, 2011, 05:44 PM
Oh dear it's horrid isn't it. I've been spraying my hair with perfume (so wrong, but so's the smell) and putting it up in a really tight bun to minimise the surface area to volume ratio.... I probably just smell of eggy violets though... lol

jojo
July 31st, 2011, 06:19 PM
Oh dear it's horrid isn't it. I've been spraying my hair with perfume (so wrong, but so's the smell) and putting it up in a really tight bun to minimise the surface area to volume ratio.... I probably just smell of eggy violets though... lol

ha ha! welcome to the mad world of LHC! yep its horrid, ive just put a SMT on and fingers, toes, legs, eyes and anything else that can be crossed it gets rid of the smell!

Slinks
July 31st, 2011, 06:34 PM
my all is crossed for you too, Jojo .. sorry I couldn't be too much help for you .. try not to be too harsh with your hair tho ..

Unofficial_Rose
August 1st, 2011, 12:24 AM
SMT with some pleasant but fairly strongly-fragranced conditioner?

Raqdoll
August 1st, 2011, 12:52 AM
I second vinegar rinses. But if that isn't working my next suggestion would be to try some Dr. Bronners peppermint (diluted) and soak your hair in that. It will likely strip your poor hair of oil though (it's a castile soap, no SLS's though) then follow with a heavy fragrance SMT overnight. OOOO....have you tried a heavy oiling then a C/O? I'd do that before the Doc Bronners (I'd really only do the Dr. Bronners as a VERY LAST RESORT before taking scissors to my hair)

The smell is terrible, I went through the same thing earlier this year. The overnight SMT was the most helpful.

KittyLost
August 1st, 2011, 02:23 AM
Try clarifying and conditioning with heavily scented products. It took a few days for the smell to leave my hair too :(

Oksana
August 1st, 2011, 06:11 AM
I also had the eggy hair after colourb4 :o I saturated my hair in a nice smelling conditioner, put on a shower cap and left it for a few hours. That did the trick for me :)

Cania
August 1st, 2011, 09:13 AM
Could you try tomato juice? (I can't think of any reason this would be damaging but I can never be sure!) That's what people use to get rid of the smell of skunk, maybe that would work?

Lilli
August 1st, 2011, 11:20 AM
I did mine yesterday afternoon and have washed it twice since and it is almost all gone. So just wash it and wait!

Anje
August 1st, 2011, 11:46 AM
OK, this is really wacky, so try some other ideas first. My vote is for a sodium bicarbonate rinse followed by vinegar.

-----------------
If I remember correctly, iron compounds tend to react with hydrogen sulfide. (OK, I'm thinking of TSI agar, which uses ferrous ammonium sulfate or ferrous sulfate to detect H2S production by bacteria, I admit.) You might be able to make a solution that includes a few iron tablets from the pharmacy to rinse through your hair. Strand-test it first, though. The reason I remember the reactivity is because it turned dark, and you want to ensure it doesn't stain your hair.
---------------
ETA:
This (http://www.bcawa.ca/winemaking/h2s.htm) has some interesting suggestions on removing sulfide odors and flavors from wine.... Copper for monosulfides, oil for disulfides. You might be able to kill the smell by oiling your hair?

jojo
August 1st, 2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks for all the helpful replies, i used a fabric softner today as i could no longer stand the smell and it actually worked. Now does anybody know how to get the smell of fabric softner out :D

rusika1
August 1st, 2011, 05:54 PM
heavy conditioning? heavy oiling with some essential oil thrown into the mix?

I keep thinking of the kid's song "there was an old lady who swallowed a fly"!

Slinks
August 1st, 2011, 06:47 PM
Now does anybody know how to get the smell of fabric softner out :D

LOLOLOLOL :lol: Jojo !!!!

Slinks
August 1st, 2011, 06:51 PM
heavy conditioning? heavy oiling with some essential oil thrown into the mix?

I keep thinking of the kid's song "there was an old lady who swallowed a fly"!

I don't know why she swallowed a fly - perhaps she'll die ... lol :D

jojo
August 2nd, 2011, 05:57 AM
ha ha i will never die (dye) again it smells too much getting the bugger out! hahahaha!

BelleBot
August 2nd, 2011, 06:09 AM
I never had a problem with the smell lingering from colour B4, but then again I did a deep conditioning treatment straight after using a fairly heavily scented conditioner. I left it on for probably about 3 hours wrapped in clingfilm. It just smelt of conditioner afterwards.
Good luck getting the smell out. :)

jojo
August 2nd, 2011, 09:16 AM
the smells nearly gone now. I also did a deep conditioning but for some reason it sticks to my hair urgh!

Alaia
August 2nd, 2011, 09:26 AM
All right. I was considering using this but I think I won't.

I don't mind my two-toned hair and I hate horrid smells on my hair.

jojo
August 2nd, 2011, 11:58 AM
The smell is the only downside, i am back to my natural colour.

Speckla
August 2nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Bring hardboiled eggs for lunch all week and people will think that is it? A remote control fart machine that you activate whenever someone has to bend over or stretch? Color the seat of your pants with a brown crayon and just roll with it...Tell them the Calvin Klein 1 was too expensive so you had to settle for Calvin Klein #2.

Lilli
August 2nd, 2011, 01:17 PM
All right. I was considering using this but I think I won't.

I don't mind my two-toned hair and I hate horrid smells on my hair.

I used Color Oops and it really is not that bad. Like a very mild perm smell. By the morning after I used it, it only smelled when wet, and now 2 days later, it doesn't even smell when wet. Really.

BlazingHeart
August 2nd, 2011, 02:42 PM
Thanks for all the helpful replies, i used a fabric softner today as i could no longer stand the smell and it actually worked. Now does anybody know how to get the smell of fabric softner out :D

Fabric softener is actually incredibly hard to get out of things - it's designed to be an extremely adherent material. That's part of why people who have multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) react so badly to it. Many of them describe it as being as toxic to them as things like pesticides.

It will slowly ease out as you wash your hair, but to be completely honest, it will never completely be gone. My friends with MCS can't tolerate being around clothing that has EVER been washed with fabric softener, even if it was years ago. No exaggeration. If that gets you concerned at all, (and it certainly does me - both for myself and for the people around me that I am affecting without knowing better) you might think about less toxic options like the fabric softener 7th Generation makes.

~Blaze

curlymarcia
August 2nd, 2011, 04:42 PM
For hair dye and cigarette odor only the sunlight works for me. Try it!

jojo
August 2nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
Bring hardboiled eggs for lunch all week and people will think that is it? A remote control fart machine that you activate whenever someone has to bend over or stretch? Color the seat of your pants with a brown crayon and just roll with it...Tell them the Calvin Klein 1 was too expensive so you had to settle for Calvin Klein #2.

:beerchug: ha ha! that made me laugh out loud! luckily I am a nurse so i can just blame the patients!

jojo
August 2nd, 2011, 05:56 PM
For hair dye and cigarette odor only the sunlight works for me. Try it!

what is sunlight ;) I live in the rainiest part of the UK!:cool:

jojo
August 2nd, 2011, 05:57 PM
]Fabric softener is actually incredibly hard to get out of things - it's designed to be an extremely adherent material[/B]. That's part of why people who have multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) react so badly to it. Many of them describe it as being as toxic to them as things like pesticides.

It will slowly ease out as you wash your hair, but to be completely honest, it will never completely be gone. My friends with MCS can't tolerate being around clothing that has EVER been washed with fabric softener, even if it was years ago. No exaggeration. If that gets you concerned at all, (and it certainly does me - both for myself and for the people around me that I am affecting without knowing better) you might think about less toxic options like the fabric softener 7th Generation makes.

~Blaze

it was a tongue in cheek statement LOL!

Demetrue
August 2nd, 2011, 07:20 PM
After using the Ion decolorizer (which used something sulfurous) I washed my hair about 5 times, then left in conditioner for a while, then rinsed out the conditioner and used one of the cheap versions of morrocan oil on my hair, pretty much saturated it. Then washed and conditioned again the next morning. The smell is gone.

Avaya
October 28th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I never had a problem with the smell lingering from colour B4, but then again I did a deep conditioning treatment straight after using a fairly heavily scented conditioner. I left it on for probably about 3 hours wrapped in clingfilm. It just smelt of conditioner afterwards.
Good luck getting the smell out. :)

Do you remember what conditioner you used BelleBot? And did your color darken up because you used conditioner right after? I might be trying this tonight. :)

cmg
October 28th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Are you familiar with the steel soaps? You "wash your hands" with it and any kitchen smell like onions for example, is completely gone in seconds. It really works. Its amazing. Small flat (like a coin) pieces of steel keeps the foot odour away from nesting in new shoes also. Try rubbing a steel soap on the hair next time there is a funky smell. No worries! :poot:

Luminaria
June 8th, 2015, 03:51 AM
I know this reply is a few years too late, but a tomato paste mask can remove strong smells. I used it on Color Oops, but I imagine you can use it on Colour B4 since they are similar products. After you have rinsed off Colour B4, apply tomato paste to your hair and cover it with a shower cap for as long as possible. Rinse well and shampoo.