PDA

View Full Version : how do you protect when you want to wear your hair down?

Jeanna
July 30th, 2011, 10:32 AM
is it possible to put something in a lady's hair for the times that they would like to wear it down to protect it from damage?

Sundial
July 30th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Oils or coney serums to provide more slip so that there are less tangles? You can also wear silk shirts to reduce the friction of your hair rubbing against clothes

pepperminttea
July 30th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Ditto what Sundial said. Some people braid their lowest layer too as it seems to be especially tangle-prone for a lot of people - it's normally hidden by the rest of the hair. There's also this method (http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2010/01/05/how-to-wear-your-hair-down/), but I can't say I've tried it.

Madora
July 30th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Well, wearing your hair down could mean several things to different folks.

I assume you mean down, free flowing, not contained.

"Down" can also mean in braids, which is protection of sorts.

"Down" can also mean a banded ponytail, which protects..to a certain extent.

You could also wear your hair down in a scarf braid, if desired.

dulce
July 30th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I just wear a braid down the back with a flexi.Ponytails get tangled on me.Sometimes 1 wear it all loose if it's not hot out or windy out.1 like the braid as 1 do it loosely so 1 don't feel any pulling or tightness on my roots.1t's really comfortable and holds all day .

Anisaa
August 2nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
jojoba oil on the ends and thats it!

BlazingHeart
August 2nd, 2011, 02:58 PM
Protecting down hair is more about a way of thinking and moving than anything you put on it, I think. (assuming we mean totally loose when we say down) You have to be careful about flicking your hair, or getting your hair caught on things, or letting your hair get rubbed between things (like between you and your seatbelt in the car, or you and a purse strap, etc). In a way it's kind of like the kind of gentle hair handling that is advised on LHC; it takes thought and adjustment to do it.

~Blaze

Anje
August 2nd, 2011, 03:04 PM
I've had luck with slathering mine with olive oil before spending a day with it loose. Still got tangled, but not as severely and wasn't dried out when I finally detangled it that evening. Also, it managed to absorb every drop of the multiple teaspoons of oil I put in!

With my own hair, I prefer not to use silicone serums for protection. They tend to dry my hair (this seems to be a quirk for my hair and isn't exactly normal) and they encourage my hair to form fairy knots. YMMV.

kidari
August 2nd, 2011, 03:44 PM
I agree with using oils or leave in conditioners or serums. I used to wear it down a lot pre-LHC with mousse and hairspray, which actually causes a lot of damage. Clean, moisturized hair is best for wearing down. Just be careful and always carry something with you in your purse so that at the last minute you can quickly throw it up when you need to!

jitzgrrl
August 2nd, 2011, 04:01 PM
I only wear it down when I'm actively choosing to display it, and I choose those times carefully. It needs to be inside (or a completely still day), somewhere I'm not moving around TOO much or whipping my head around, and definitely never when I've got a purse/bag/other strap on my shoulder. Also, ideally, not at a fancy dinner or other times it might be awkward to get hair in my mouth. Which pretty much leaves cocktail parties and movie night with friends. :) A little jojoba oil on the ends helps keep it supple. If I just want it to be smooth and contained, but I don't want an elastic 'scar', a bandana/scarf will keep the top smooth and the ends in line.

spidermom
August 2nd, 2011, 04:10 PM
Carry a fork or stick with you; that's the best protection. I've started with my hair down on several occasions and ended up with my hair put up because it was snagging on things and I didn't have time to pay attention to it.

Oh, and wear smooth fabric.

HintOfMint
August 3rd, 2011, 12:28 AM
Making sure I put it in front of my shoulders when I'm sitting in a chair so that it doesn't rub in between my back and the chair back helps a bit. Also making sure it's not loose when it's windy.