PDA

View Full Version : DIY Neeli Hair Growth Oil

tiny_teesha
July 30th, 2011, 01:53 AM
I bought this Neelibringadi oil which was supposed to miraculously somehow stop my hair from shedding insanely as it has been the past few years, worse with each month.

So I tried it knowing that oil causes my hair to shed insanely.

INSTANTLY, and i mean, the very first time i washed it, i noticed my shed count going from almost 200 to just 20 hairs!!!!

It worked for me! I'm so excited to wait until all my hair outgrows!

So decided to be a DIY Diva and make my own version!

The original bottle says the ingredients are:
Brahmi, bhringraj, indigo, balloon vine, indian pennywort, amla, coconut oil, castor oil, licorice, and coconut (meat).

I made neeli oil with what i had lying around.

My Hair Grown Serum:
Base oils: Coconut oil (absorbtion), Sesame (scent) and Castor oil (strength and thickness- it worked on my lashes), EVOO (moisture).
Brahmi and Bhringraj - the main active herb components for growth and strengthened roots and thickness.
Rooibos Vanilla tea – for proven 80% hair growth improvement and scent
Amla, neem – for antibacterial properties and proper acid balance and strength
stinging nettle, fenugreek – for hair stimulation
Rosemary – for stimulation
Vitamine E and Primrose Oil- for scalp health (I omitted these because i wasn't sure how my scalp may react and if they would be of much benefit but it sounded like a good idea)

I couldn't think of much else to add to it. Also the herbs are quite old, 2 or 3 years, so they aren't at their most potent freshness.

I simmered it in a glass in a boiling saucepan for about 2 hours collectively. I strained with cheese cloth and then again with a coffee filter but then i tossed that idea out because i thought remnants of herb in it could only do good things. I put it in an old hair dye bottle WHICH may have residual chemicals but i was willing to risk it after cleaning it as well as i could. You could use an empty ketchup bottle or something. I added a lot more other oils than coconut because melting it every time i wash my hair would annoy me...

I'll keep you posted. I hope someone else tries it and it helps them too. :)

I think i'll freeze some ice cubes with a strained tea, it will have rooibos and only the nice smelling herbs, then i'll defrost a cube and spray my roots after a shower. That way i have 24 hour hair growth stimulation going on! I haven't gotten up to that yet, and i would strain that batch with a coffee filter.

*warning. It will most likely stain your hair!*

I'm testing it and will edit the results in later. My hair is known to fall out if anything touches my scalp so we'll see. I have just put it in at 5:30pm and I'll wash it out before bed just in case i react to it.

Rosetta
July 30th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Very interesting! :)

I also have this Neelibringadi oil, which I only use every now and then (pre-wash), and haven't noticed it making much difference, but this inspired me to try remember to use it more often (especially before it expires) :)

And I *think* I also have some brahmi and bhringraj powders stacked away somewhere so I could try to make this DIY growth serum, too ;) So you just boiled the powders in water and used only the strained liquid, and threw away the powder "remains"?

McFearless
July 30th, 2011, 05:27 PM
That is so good to hear. I read your other thread and I know you've been struggling with shedding so I hope this works really well for you long term! :)

gthlvrmx
July 30th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Wow im going out to try it out now! Probably for my mother. I wanna hear the results of your own serum :)

tiny_teesha
April 26th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Rosetta- yes i strained it with cheese cloth so i got out the biggest particles. The herbs sit at the bottom of the bottle so they don't really come out until you're up to the last portions of the oil. i guess if you had a really fine sieve that works a bit less than a coffee filter you could use the left over paste to put on your scalp as a one time treatment...because it's quite annoying to rinse that stuff out even if it is a fine powder- i find...anyway

McFearless- it doesn't work long term, but oh well. I use it as an oil shampoo anyway, as i find its way less harsh than normal shampoo and my hair doesn't chuck a fit at it, but it isn't reducing shedding for me anymore.

gthlvrmx- the neeli oilk i bought worked, this one not so much, but i do use it in my shampoo for a gentler and more of a herbal treatment wash most times i wash. :)

Roscata
April 27th, 2012, 03:44 AM
I'm really glad to hear it worked for you. It worked for me as well and others (Neelibhringadi Ayurvedic Hair Oil (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34344)). I really rather love it myself. :D