PDA

View Full Version : Buns for Nubs

Yame
July 29th, 2011, 04:54 PM
As a bun newbie, I need a list of simple and easy buns I can learn, for wearing in my everyday life.

My hair is currently between waist and hip length, so I am sure there are tons of styles I could do to it. Up until 2 weeks ago I had never put it up in a "real" bun (sometimes I would roll it up or fold it and tie it with a hair elastic, but that doesn't really count).

Right now, I am looking for buns that can be held with a stick, since sticks are the only hair toys I currently have. In the future, I am planning on getting a Flexi-8, but I'd like to become more proficient in handling my own hair first. Plus, I'm really liking my sticks, and I still can't get over the "magical" feeling of having all of my hair held up by something so... counter-intuitive and simple.

So far I've been using a nautilus bun. I learned it by watching various youtube tutorials. Now that I feel pretty comfortable with it, I want to move on to other buns, but I don't feel ready for anything too complicated yet. I've tried some other buns I found on youtube tutorials and failed massively, so I figured I should ask here for some advice on what buns us newbies should be trying.

archel
July 29th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Back when my hair was waist length, I learned how to do a figure 8 bun on youtube and it looked really neat! Maybe you can try that? I can't do a real bun yet, since I'm barely APL right now. I hope to be able to by the end of the year.

Yame
July 29th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I'll give that a shot!

mathnerd
July 29th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Yame, I'm in the same boat as you. I've been trying to learn some new buns from youtube as well. However, no matter which I try, they all seem to fail. :( Will have to keep practicing I guess...lol

Lostsoule77
July 29th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I say try the lazy wrap bun. It's really simple and holds with one stick. I do it braided a lot and it holds like a rock. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG9-gLSqnoc This is a slightly modified lazy wrap for longer hair. At your length I think you'd need to try it this way. :)

Nessie_
July 30th, 2011, 02:54 AM
I've also recently been trying to learn to do buns with a hairstick. I'd recommend the figure-8 bun as well, although it did hurt my head a little when I did it (might have done something wrong there?). I also like the chinese braided bun, which was fairly easy to do, so you might try that one.

skara_brae
July 30th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I also like the chinese braided bun, which was fairly easy to do, so you might try that one.

Chinese bun, braided or not, is my favourite bun. It's so comfy and distributes the weight evenly. It's easy to tighten or loosen depending on the look you want...I love it!

pepperminttea
July 30th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I really like Spidermom's bun, as shown here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoBA2OhZrcU) by Hypnotica. It's very secure and you can do it with no hairties, and no twisting - just a single stick. :) If you prefer low buns like I do, I'd start this one a bit higher up than usual - the end product on my head tends to end up being below where I started it.

Yame
July 30th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Thank you guys for the replies! This should give me enough buns to work on for a few weeks, actually (I am planning on trying just one new bun per week, that way I can get pretty comfortable with each before moving on to the next, and then once I have enough buns in my "repertoire" I will wear a different one each day of the week).

Today is wash day, so I have to wait until day 3 or so to put my hair up again. I can't wait until then so that I can start trying out all your suggestions. LHC is so helpful :)

curlsgalore
July 30th, 2011, 11:40 PM
If you scroll down a little in this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11763) thread, you will find links for a bunch of hairstyles. :)

MandyBeth
July 30th, 2011, 11:47 PM
TorrinPage also has AWESOME videos on YT and is a member here. Her hair is longer I think, but you have enough length for most buns I'd guess. Torrin's videos are really easy to follow.

Yame
August 6th, 2011, 10:37 PM
It's been just a week since I posted this thread, so I've done only one new bun so far, the lazy wrap bun.

Next week's bun will be the figure 8 bun. I gave it a try today, without too much success because my hair was just washed yesterday. On Monday is should be oily enough for me to start bunning, so I will try again then.

I have posted some photos in my buns album:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8404

I will be posting a photo of each new bun that I try, and I will be coming back to this thread each new week to try out other suggestions.

So thank you all again, and if you'd like to follow my bun progress go ahead and check out my album :)