PDA

View Full Version : Deceitful when wet?

kwaniesiam
June 26th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Okay, I need some input here or else I'm either going to think that I or my hair are crazy :silly:

When I wash my hair, and it comes out feeling nice right after when wet, I think "ooh, I can't wait until it dries and feels all soft and pretty", when it finally does dry my hair feels like yuck. Its either dry, frizzy, or just feels and looks dull. On the contrary, if my hair feels mucky and over conditioned when wet by the time it dries it feels nice and soft, and looks shiny if not a bit flat. :confused:

I know I'm not doing anything different to it routine wise, would it be the weather or something? Does anyone else experience this, their hair feeling a lot different than you'd think it would after a wash? It's done this multiple times, almost to the point of where I have to hit or miss not to over condition but to get it just right in that "mucky when wet" state.

Sana
June 26th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Oh yes, I know what you mean. I have often had times when my hair has felt stringy when wet but it turns out great when it is dry & sometimes it feels soft & nice when wet but turns out frizzy when it dries out.

I apply oil when my hair is damp & it could have something to do with this. Like when I think it's stringy or weird, I tend to apply a little bit more oil which helps & when I think it is fine I used to apply a little bit less so as not to make it oily & end up with frizz. I am trying to minimise it by waiting for my hair to dry as much as possible before I oil it but it's still a battle.

Another thing that I noticed was damp bunning always resulted in great looking hair, ofcourse with tons of waves. But of late I seem to get a headache with it & have had to stop it.

Ohio Sky
June 26th, 2008, 11:43 AM
My hair does this too. Ive been using the GR shapoo and condish, and Ive discovered that because the poo isnt stripping at all, I can just hop into the shower and wash only, then let my hair dry completely. Itsll still be manageable, and then I can lightly spray it with a mister bottle I have with 3/4 water and 1/4 GR condish, and lightly oil. Applying the condish and everything dry lets me know exactly how its affecting my hair, and how much I need to use.

Riot Crrl
June 26th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Well yeah, I leave in conditioner and usually oil too, my wet hair is a hot gooey mess. I just got used to it.

Periwinkle
June 26th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I actually have the reverse. I expect it's due to leave-in conditioner, because when I rinse my hair, it doesn't feel conditioned, so it feels like it's going to be awful, but when it's dry, it has been conditioned.

When I used rinse-out conditioner, though, I would get what you described, but only if I washed my hair more than twice a week. How often do you wash? Leaving it alone fixed it for me.

lora410
June 26th, 2008, 12:14 PM
yup, this has happened to me as well. Don't ya hate the tricks hair plays on ya?

missy60
June 26th, 2008, 12:23 PM
This happened to my hair when I bleached it. If it felt just normally conditioned when wet it always dried very dry and frizzy. If my hair felt over conditioned and mushy it was better when dry. Maybe this has to do with the porisity of your hair, but Im not sure. The more porous your hair the more you need to have extra conditioner to moisturize it. Your hair is holey when porous so if its over loaded it can hold on to a little. Ok thats just my theory on things.

flapjack
June 26th, 2008, 01:06 PM
My hair feels slightly rubbery when wet and then dries soft. It's like this pretty consistently so I've gotten used to it, I now know that this is just... what my hair does. I won't touch it much when wet, though... not only because it's delicate when wet but because the rubbery feeling is... weird.

kwaniesiam
June 26th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I'm at the point where I have to wash daily since my hair is fine, thin, too short for updo's, and gets oily very quickly. My hair is all either virgin or growing out henna, so my hair is the least porous its been in years, I used to fry it with tons of chemical dye and heat.

AlleyKitten
June 26th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Yeah, when I first started doing CO and keeping a hair journal, I found that the way my hair felt while it was wet usually had absolutely nothing to do with how it felt once it dried. It's annoying!

Darkhorse1
June 26th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I always wonder if our hair is moody. :D My hair is like this some days---some days, it feels uber thick when it's wet, other days it feels very thin when went. Some days it feels like conditioner hasn't even absorbed, other days it does. It's weird.

So, don't stress about those tresses! I guess it's normal :D

Curlsgirl
June 26th, 2008, 08:54 PM
My hair feels slightly rubbery when wet and then dries soft. It's like this pretty consistently so I've gotten used to it, I now know that this is just... what my hair does. I won't touch it much when wet, though... not only because it's delicate when wet but because the rubbery feeling is... weird.

Yes! This is kind of what mine feels like too! I can never trust the way it feels really until it is ALL the way dry! Since I pretty much rotate the same routine now I know about how much product to use. I only CWC once a week but every time it feels sort of yucky as it's drying. :doh: I have kind of gotten used to it too.