View Full Version : How often do YOU wash?

mallorykay13
July 29th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Just curious. I wash every third day.

ZeppHead
July 29th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I began with washing every other day but lately have been able to stretch til every 3rd day my hair feels so much healthier!! I love it.

MissAlida
July 29th, 2011, 10:05 AM
2 times a week.Think tuesday and friday. I sometimes strech 1 day, if I don't have time to air dry. I rather put it up than use heat.

monichella
July 29th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I wash twice a week or every 5 days!

Arianoor
July 29th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I have gone from 7 days a week to 3 days a week since I joined. I hate the itchies with a fiery passion, so I may not be able to stretch much more!

Lianna
July 29th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Everyday, seldom every other day. I rather shampoo everyday, unless I'm really tired...then I just co-wash.

NaClH2O
July 29th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I've started doing every 2nd day since the beginning of the summer and hope to get to every third day by around September.

Skooter
July 29th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Generally twice a week. Lately I've been trying to stretch it out more though, and that's been working pretty well.

allnight avenue
July 29th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Every five days or so. Sometimes I get lazy and go further with baby powder.

JuliaDancer
July 29th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I was washing every third day, but with this heat, I've had to wash every other day...

auroraclio
July 29th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Every third day.

xoerincolleen
July 29th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I wash either every other or every third day, depending on what I'm doing. When I work 4 or 5 days in a row I can usually go those 4 days without washing because I have it up every day. I only wash with shampoo once every 10 days-2 weeks or so and CO wash the rest of the time.

spidermom
July 29th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Generally every 3rd to 4th day, BUT I wash whenever I feel my hair needs it, even twice in one day if I got all sweaty and dirty. I washed it 3 times in a row one time when the big python (see sig pic) was annoyed with me and released musk. Peeee-yuuuuuuuu! It took 3 washes to get the smell out!

Yame
July 29th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Once a week. Usually on Friday night or Saturday, sometimes Sunday. Until earlier this month I washed twice a week, but since I started wearing buns on weekdays I've been able to extend washes much further. I might even try going once every 10 or 15 days some time in the future.

CastaDiva
July 29th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I usually wash my hair two or three times a week:)

Anje
July 29th, 2011, 10:50 AM
As needed, every 4-7 days currently. More often if I need to get an experiment out of my hair or have gone swimming in a scummy pond or something.

remote-spook
July 29th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Currently, every other day. I am hoping to stretch it out more by BBBing and dry shampooing every now and then. I have sooo much hair that air drying can take half a day and I'm only at apl.

Loreley
July 29th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Every 2nd or 3rd day. I have greasy hair which I HATE! :horse:

Elysium
July 29th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Every 3 days or so, my fringe gets so greasy very quickly!

vcupcake
July 29th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I wash every other day. Occasionally I can stretch it to three days, but not very often. However, since coming back from a two month trip to Africa I'm finding it's a stretch to wash it every other day. I'm hoping with time it'll go back to the way it was. My hair takes a long time to dry, so I don't like to get it wet every day.

elbow chic
July 29th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Lately, every 4 or 5 days. The fifth day is not pretty, but I only leave the house about once a week so it doesn't matter much.

jackie_brown
July 29th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I wash every 4th day, but if i use indian herbs (aritha and shikakai) i'm able to shampoo once a week :cheese:

irishlady
July 29th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Every 2-3 days with shampoo and condish. I am trying out CO right now though so it may be more often.

sun-kissed
July 29th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I WO wash every day, but recently have been trying to go every other day. It's almost more than I can stand, but it feels so much more healthy, even if it looks like I'm a slob.

Jing
July 29th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Every fourth day, but I'm thinking of swicthing to every third because I'm doing the rooibos thing and it's making my hair very angry.

lapushka
July 29th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Mine has to be washed 2 to 3 times a week for it to look halfway decent. Stretching to every 5 days is *kind* of okay, except the last two days of those 5 days it will gradually be getting more gross. Stretching washes beyond 5 days for me spells out: Nizoral. :o

Auburn_locks
July 29th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I was at every 3-4 days but since I had my hair cut and switched to a more natural sulphate-free shampoo and cone-free conditioner I struggle for every other day. It feels much healthier though as it was terribly dry before. Aiming for at least every third day and hopefully when it get's longer and I can put it up in nice styles that will stretch it! :D

discoisntdead
July 29th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I have layered, chin-length hair which is a total pain. I can't tie it back into a comfortable updo and forget about. My hair gets greasy quickly. I went without washing it for 3 days as an experiment and by day 3 it was completely soaked with grease. It drives me crazy! So I basically wash it everyday. I've switch to cone-free baby shampoo and conditioner though. I even put some vinegar inside the bottles. I can't wait until all my layers are the same length so I can put it into a ponytail out of my face at least.

QMacrocarpa
July 29th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Generally once a week. Formerly twice a week.

AnqeIicDemise
July 29th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Wed and Sun usually and like others i stretch if I have to as to avoid heat.

I failed on that last night. Sometimes, the smell of sebum gets on my nerves. I *had* to wash before bed and blowfry just because I couldn't stand it anymore. (my sched got thrown off so i washed last saturday instead. And it has been flippin' hot too, so that doesn't help stretching washes any!)

mrs.bad85
July 29th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I used to S&C every other day every third day if I was lazy due to it looking icky and being itchy

now that I am CO and using a vinegar rinse it's not itchy and on day 3 it looked and felt fine:cheese:

so I think that I am going to start stretching out my washes

Quezie
July 29th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Every other day to every two days. Really depends on my schedule, and how my hair is behaving. >.<

brickworld13
July 29th, 2011, 12:24 PM
It's very dependent on what I've been doing. If I'm out exercising a lot, I have to wash every other day or sometimes everyday. Usually I was about every 4 days.

bushy
July 29th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I wash every 3rd day. I excercise alot so that means I Have to wear my hair up by the 3rd day. My daughter can go a week and her hair is very shiny and healthy.

Madora
July 29th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Once a month. I brush my hair 100 strokes every day with my bbb and that helps keep it clean. Also, I don't go out much and usually wear something on my head, unless the weather is warm.

SoulOfTheSea
July 29th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Every 3-4 days, usually.

pepperminttea
July 29th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Once or twice a week, depending on if I go swimming once or twice. :)

AnqeIicDemise
July 29th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Once a month. I brush my hair 100 strokes every day with my bbb and that helps keep it clean. Also, I don't go out much and usually wear something on my head, unless the weather is warm.

-bowage- Wow. That is amazing.. then again, you've had years of practice.

I remember when I first started I thought I'd NEVER be able to not wash my hair every day. In the winter I can stretch it to five. :P

A month.. wow. It shows. You have gorgeous hair!

SoulOfTheSea
July 29th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Once or twice a week, depending on if I go swimming once or twice. :)

Oooo sounds just like me! :D

Madora
July 29th, 2011, 01:11 PM
-bowage- Wow. That is amazing.. then again, you've had years of practice.

I remember when I first started I thought I'd NEVER be able to not wash my hair every day. In the winter I can stretch it to five. :P

A month.. wow. It shows. You have gorgeous hair!

Aw, thanks! Also, I don't use any product except when shampooing and conditioning. I do an EVOO treatment once a month, but that's the extent of putting anything on my hair. I've found that the less I mess with my hair, the better it is.

Svart
July 29th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Daily.
As a matter of fact I switched from every other day to daily when I joined LHC -- I was afraid to wash daily, but since I now use gentle detergent s(soapnuts instead of sulphates) I foud out I can do it.
I sweat too much to stretch washes, when I washed every other day my hair looked awful on the second day.

AnqeIicDemise
July 29th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Aw, thanks! Also, I don't use any product except when shampooing and conditioning. I do an EVOO treatment once a month, but that's the extent of putting anything on my hair. I've found that the less I mess with my hair, the better it is.

The humidity up here makes it almost impossible for me not to oil frequently. Its a bummer... but that's the price I pay to live in Washington.

But then again, averaging 8 washes a month isn't as bad as it once was. For a while there I was washing my hair twice a day every day too.

AuburnAlight
July 30th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Every 2nd, 3rd or 4th day. It changes a lot.

myfrizzies
July 30th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I wash everyday. I've been CWC and it's working wonderfully. But I'm also a runner, I put in 10-15 miles a week, 4-5 days a week. Its too gross for my 1a/b fine hair not to wash daily.

rena
July 30th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I have a winter pattern and summer pattern. In the colder months, I wash, wait two days, and wash, using shampoo because I get greasier. In the summer I just wait a day less and use CO washing because I don't give myself the chance to accumulate as much dirt.

Leucothea
July 30th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Twice a week, faithfully :)

CurlyMopTop
July 30th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I wash when my hair and scalp tell me to. I'm experimenting with different products and methods right now so it varies. Usually every 2 to 4 days but I only use shampoo once a week. I'm hoping to cut that back slowly but surely. The rest of the time I CO.

see_turtle
July 30th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Everyday. My hair gets gross fast.

boomtownrat
July 30th, 2011, 06:13 PM
My scalp needs daily washes, but I can wash it with conditioner and my scalp is as happy as if I'd used shampoo and conditioner.

Dina L.
July 30th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Usually I wash every 4th day, but now I'm at the 7th day and probably will stretch till Monday or Tuesday. (I ran out of castor oil and I don't want to wash my hair without preoiling, lol.)

embee
July 30th, 2011, 08:04 PM

:)

I'm trying NW/SO this year; last October I did a WO my hair - length and scalp. Now when I shower the hairline will get rinsed but good brushing (morning and night) seems to work for me, my hair is always up, and I'm no longer the grease-ball I was when young. Hair is *much* better behaved. I'd like to make it to October this year, and then think about a WO of the length.... :D

monsterna
July 30th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Every day. At the least, every work day. My hair gets greasy, stinky, and gross fast. I showered a couple hours ago and already feel it getting gross.... Hopefully it's just the summer.

redwoman
July 30th, 2011, 09:48 PM
every four days in the summer,unless I sweat a lot on my scalp. about once a week in the dead of winter when I'm chilled to the bone. Whenever it is dirty. My hair decides.

alliekat
July 30th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Since joining LHC, I've gone from washing every day with shampoo and condition, to every other day with CWC, to 2 to 3 times a week CO. :cheese:

I work at home so I'm working on stretching it even more.

sarahbrownie
July 30th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Every 2 days. I've never gotten pass 3 days. I wish it could be once a week but I've never been able to retrain my head to produce less oil. I like clean hair, unfortunately.

gthlvrmx
July 30th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Once a week!
Im surprised there's a lot of 2-3 times a week people here! I thought once week was too much :p

Quixii
July 30th, 2011, 10:52 PM
When I take a shower. Which is usually 2-3 times a week.

Raqdoll
July 31st, 2011, 01:26 AM
I was usually twice a week, now I'm stretching for once a week (except for when my hair gets exposed to chlorine or seawater, then I CO it)

fandango
July 31st, 2011, 02:26 AM
I CO wash about twice a week. I don't have a set number of days between washes, I just wash when I feel the need. I've been really stretching out washes as far as possible cos I wash at night and these winter nights are pretty chilly.

erialc
July 31st, 2011, 02:38 AM
I used to be able to CO wash once a week, but now I usually have to do it 2 or even 3 times a week. I don't know why it changed like that.

kouran
July 31st, 2011, 02:56 AM
My grandmother used to say that the less you wash, the more hair you have. She only washed her hair once a week, sometimes once in two weeks. I believe this, even on those that have dandruff, but for those I would recommend washing with indian herbs.

IanB
July 31st, 2011, 03:12 AM
Once every 7-8 days with s suplhate free shampoo, and water only washes in-between

Barniie
July 31st, 2011, 03:15 AM
4 times a week (Monday night, Wed night, Friday night, Sunday morning. Repeat.)

mrs_coffee
July 31st, 2011, 03:17 AM
Once a week usually. Sometimes twice.

Kumiko033
July 31st, 2011, 04:22 AM
once a week I do shampoo and co-washing everyday.

Othala
July 31st, 2011, 05:26 AM
I wash every third day except in summertime when I wash daily or every other day.

Chetanlaiho
July 31st, 2011, 06:34 AM
Once a week, rarely twice. I've done once a week for almost all my life since I was just too lazy to do it more often. Tried twice a week for a very short while but went back to once a week after getting into haircare more.

PorkChop
July 31st, 2011, 06:34 AM
Every third day. Dry shampoo a bit in the days inbetween

Ligeia_13
July 31st, 2011, 08:27 AM
Twice a week. But only with conditioner, I don't use shampoo.

evan1989
July 31st, 2011, 08:32 AM
i washmine every four days,i wear it down for two days then ups for two days and wash the fourth day evening :)

HollyG
July 31st, 2011, 08:33 AM
Everyday if i'm at college or something as it will go greasy during the days if i'm outdoors.
Every two days at the worst as my hair will be greasy by the third day. Very annoying as i used to be able to wash it twice a week when i was a child.
Been thinking of getting dry shampoo tbh so i don't have to get up so early

LovelyL
July 31st, 2011, 09:26 AM
once a week, some time midweek, giving my scalp a good soak in the bath

longcurlygirl<3
July 31st, 2011, 09:29 AM
Usually twice a week. But with this heat, and how my curls feel dry at least 3 times a week.

GoatLady
July 31st, 2011, 09:33 AM
I am finally able to stretch my washings to every 3rd day without having my scalp be an oil slick. Took almost 2 months of adjustment but well worth it.

rags
July 31st, 2011, 09:57 AM
I can go up to 3 days in the winter. Right now with 90 percent humidity and temps in the mid 90's Farenheit, it's every other day. I've never been able to get past 3 days at all (and the 3rd day is using dry shampoo). My scalp just won't have it.

Night_Kitten
July 31st, 2011, 12:16 PM
I wash once a week, on the weekend...
It gets alittle oily towards the end of the week, but I wear it up all the time so I don't really care, LOL :D

Hobbit
July 31st, 2011, 12:19 PM
I wash my hair every two to three days.

Kaijah
July 31st, 2011, 12:20 PM
I still cowash daily. Partly because I get overheated and sweaty at work 6 days a week, partly because I like it and so do my ends.

Fairlight63
July 31st, 2011, 01:00 PM
I used to shampoo hair once a week, but I would shamp. 2 times - rinse, then put on the cond.
Since coming to LHC I shamp. 2 times a week (Wed. & Sat.) but instead of putting shamp. on 2 times I only put it on once - then put on the cond.

Brianna
July 31st, 2011, 01:06 PM
Very very generally, about twice a week. At least in the summer months. :) My job is labour intensive and sweaty, so when it's hot I can't really wash it less often. About once a week in cooler weather, though.

Pixna
July 31st, 2011, 01:08 PM
I wash and condition every 6 days. I've gone a little longer and a little shorter than that, but this seems to be the perfect number for me.

ysabet
August 3rd, 2011, 08:56 AM
Once a week to once a month, depending on how lazy I am. I tend to rinse with warm water and use a leave-in conditioner daily, though. My hair hates me at the moment - changing countries means changing haircare products, and I'm trying to make it less stressed out, dry/squeaky, and less frizzy. More curls and softness wanted!

gibsongirl71
August 3rd, 2011, 09:20 AM
I have to wash every other day. Oily skin and hair. :-(

headtrip_honey
August 3rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
In the summer, every day. Fine/thin hair plus uber oily skin plus humidity.

In the winter I can stretch it to every other day, but that's about the extent.

freckles
August 3rd, 2011, 11:26 AM
It averages out around once every 3 days I imagine, sometimes every other day and sometimes every 4.

beez1717
August 3rd, 2011, 11:29 AM
I have to wash every day or my hair gets way too oily. because of this I have gotten used to not drying my hair and just putting it into a braid.i love my clean and healthy hair!

mallorykay13
August 3rd, 2011, 11:30 AM
I wash every 4th day, but if i use indian herbs (aritha and shikakai) i'm able to shampoo once a week :cheese:

Curious about this. Aritha and Shikakai? Care to elaborate?

knittingyogini
August 3rd, 2011, 11:53 AM
I've switched to CO, and washing every-other-day. I'm hoping to be able to stretch it farther when the weather cools. With two little kids in the summer, I feel like I'm really getting it dirty/chlorinated rather than just being brain washed to shampoo frequently.

Idjit
August 3rd, 2011, 11:54 AM
I cowash and it ends up being every 3 or 4 days out of pure laziness. If I want it to look nice in this nasty, hot weather it should be every other day.

Charybdis
August 3rd, 2011, 03:04 PM
Every 3 days. My scalp is oily, and prone to seborrheic dermatitis issues if I don't use shampoo. So I shampoo and thoroughly massage my scalp every 3rd day (once in a while stretching it to Day 4, but that starts looking bad). Unless I've been using hair product (when my hair is shorter), I just rinse the shampoo through the length, then condition. If my hair is beyond APL, I condition the ends before shampooing. I use really gentle shampoos; harsher ones make my hair fuzzy and cause my scalp to seriously overproduce the oil. When my hair was waist length, I used to use baby shampoo.

gypsymoth
August 3rd, 2011, 03:08 PM
2-3 times a week, or every 3 days. In between my shampooings, I use a tiny bit of conditioner on my ends when I'm in the shower, but not enough for me to call it a CO wash.

cocolady
August 3rd, 2011, 03:12 PM
in the summer every 2 days because I sweat mostly on my head for some reason and in the winter every 3-4 days :)

Amber_Maiden
August 3rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
Between 6 and 10 days. I don't get itchy, and could probably go longer... But I don't because I live in a city and the pollution gets into your hair :(

pittsburgpam
August 3rd, 2011, 03:27 PM
I really depends but on an average work week I wash my hair on Monday and then on Thursday or Friday... maybe. If I don't wash it by Friday then I often just wait until the next Monday again to wash it.

Alaia
August 3rd, 2011, 03:40 PM
Once a week.

Every 6-7 days, depending on weather and what I've been doing and how itchy my scalp gets.

silverjen
August 3rd, 2011, 07:32 PM
I'm all over the place. I had gotten it down to two washes a week with a shampoo bar. But every now and then I get tired of washing and go WO, for anywhere from a week to a couple months at a time. While on WO I rinse 3-4 times a week, preferably with cool water.

americanjan1
August 3rd, 2011, 07:44 PM
I go back and forth. If I am wearing my hair up I can go three or four days. I am trying not to do that because the elastics were breaking my hair. I am COwashing every other day and using a spin pin on the second day.

Cassie 123
August 4th, 2011, 10:57 PM
My hair is ready for a wash at day 5, but I'll often wait until day 6 or 7, depending on when I'll have more time for a deep treatment.

Lostsoule77
August 4th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Generally just once a week on Saturday, but I sometimes push it to Sunday. I do it more often if I need to, like when I went camping a couple weeks ago. I washed Thursday, Saturday, & Monday, but two of those were co.

NightOwl26
August 4th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I recently went from every day to every 2 days. Lately it's been every day because of hot humid weather and running outside in forest trails. I have greasy, fine hair. It gets gross.

bhavs
August 4th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I wash every tuesday and saturday. Twice a week seems fine for me though...

PorkChop
August 5th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Every third day

Avital88
August 5th, 2011, 02:47 AM
I wash mostly when needed but my max is twice a week.
Or i think i wash every 4th day, so thats even less.I like it like this, i tried cowashing for 2 weeks and actually liked it, but when i see pictures of that weeks now, my hair looks sooo greasy:(
So for me its just oils on the ends and w&c

Ginny Mae
August 5th, 2011, 06:01 AM
I wash once every 8-10 days (I generally don't disclose that to people, they generally look horrified!) When I was growing up my mother rarely washed my hair more than once a week, so I guess my hair and scalp have always been used to being washed quite infrequently (we do have extremely thick hair in my family, which seems to help.)

I would really like to stretch further (mainly through laziness, it takes a LONG time for my hair to dry!) but I'm too vain about wearing my hair down and past a certain point it only looks good in a bun. Madora's tip about brushing with a bbb has definitely helped though.

BTW I love this site's mention of an article in the 1908 edition of the New York Times advising women that it was ok to wash their hair once every two weeks rather than once a month! http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102062969

Cassie 123
August 5th, 2011, 10:06 AM
BTW I love this site's mention of an article in the 1908 edition of the New York Times advising women that it was ok to wash their hair once every two weeks rather than once a month! http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102062969

There are a couple of really interesting articles here! Thanks for the link!

cocoahair
August 5th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I wash every four to five days during the summer but when i have cheer i have to wash every three days

l0nd0nbr1dg3
August 5th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I wash pretty much everyday, but I just started using bedhead superstar sulfate free shampoo and that is making my hair less dry, sometimes I also cononly wash, and some days I use fast shampoo which is a regular hair growing shampoo I'm only using to use it up cause I still have some left. But I wash every day with
One of those 3