PDA

View Full Version : Why did I EVER start going to the hairdresser on a regular basis??!!

AlexiaBlue
July 29th, 2011, 08:05 AM
First off, I want to say that I don't mean to offend any LHC hair-stylists on here. I know you all are FABULOUS, so this isn't an attack on the GOOD seeds out there who know how to properly care for their client's hair :flower:..

With that being said, I was just looking through a box of old pictures from about 10+ or so years ago BEFORE I started going to the hairdresser every "6-8 weeks for highlights and a trim", and before I started flat-ironing/blow-frying, and it literally made my heart sink. I had such beautiful, curly, long hair and SO SO much of it! The only maintenance I did back then was to have my mom trim it up every now & again when I felt like a needed a teeny dusting. It makes me feel sick to compare the hair I had PRE-hairdresser to the hair I have now. :p

I really can't believe I paid, literally, thousands of dollars throughout the years to people who virtually ruined my hair! Thank goodness I found LHC because I do feel like I'm on the path back to that great hair that was complimented all the time. I have stopped going to any hairdresser since discovering this forum and have no plans to go back. Ever.

*Sigh*

Thanks for letting me rant. Anyone out there with similar experiences? Was your hair much better BEFORE you started paying someone to work on it?

evan1989
July 29th, 2011, 08:14 AM
the last time i went to a hairdressers they ruined my hair and afterwards i said that could they just change my layers a little, and they became really sarcastic and nasty about it, i left the salon so angry and upset, ive never been to a hairdressers since, instead my step daughter trims my hair an inch twice a years and its the best it's been in years, you need to find someone who you trusts, who respects your views and decisions with your hair and who will do only what you tell them to do :)

evan1989
July 29th, 2011, 08:16 AM
sorry about the spelling mistakes, just getting used to new laptop :)

sarahbrownie
July 29th, 2011, 08:19 AM
:flowers: That's what we're here for!

I wish I could go to the hairdresser. I'm a girly-girl all the way. It would be a fantastic idea that I could go into the salon, get a henna glaze, a nice massage, and a S&D trim. Alas, that's not how salons are. I stopped going to the salon, pre-LHC, when I paid $150 for color and faded after a month or so and I saw no difference when I picked out the same color with a $7 bottle. I understand the price is partly for her service but it wasn't good for my budget.

AlexiaBlue
July 29th, 2011, 08:20 AM
the last time i went to a hairdressers they ruined my hair and afterwards i said that could they just change my layers a little, and they became really sarcastic and nasty about it, i left the salon so angry and upset, ive never been to a hairdressers since, instead my step daughter trims my hair an inch twice a years and its the best it's been in years, you need to find someone who you trusts, who respects your views and decisions with your hair and who will do only what you tell them to do :)

So true! I think I'm just going to go back to my days of benign neglect and having dear mom do the trims. :)

I've also sworn of the hair bleach, so hopefully, the healthy hair will return one day.

AlexiaBlue
July 29th, 2011, 08:23 AM
:flowers: That's what we're here for!

I wish I could go to the hairdresser. I'm a girly-girl all the way. It would be a fantastic idea that I could go into the salon, get a henna glaze, a nice massage, and a S&D trim. Alas, that's not how salons are. I stopped going to the salon, pre-LHC, when I paid $150 for color and faded after a month or so and I saw no difference when I picked out the same color with a $7 bottle. I understand the price is partly for her service but it wasn't good for my budget.

LOL, so true! I am loving the $$$ I'm saving by not going into the salon any longer!

Unofficial_Rose
July 29th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I used to go religiously every 8 weeks for highlights, cut and blow dry.

Once I discovered the liberation of colouring it myself, there was no way I could ever go back to that. It helps that I go darker, not lighter now. I used to need a professional to give me a non-brassy blonde.

Not that going to the hairdresser is bad, per se. It was just 100 GBP a time and half of every 8th Saturday. Saturdays are precious!

vcupcake
July 29th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I haven't had my hair cut at a salon since I was 10...actually, maybe I was more like 7. My mom quit taking me to get my hair cut at a salon because they always messed up my hair cuts and she ended up fixing it at home. My mom trimmed my hair until I was 16, then she taught me how to trim my own hair. I still don't see any point in going to a salon to get my hair done since I can get exactly what I want myself and for FREE.

IanB
July 29th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Well, I would say mine's better since I no longer visit the hairdresser on a regular basis, not since January this year anyhow!

dulce
July 29th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Yep,1 couldn't agree more.1 haven't been for over 2 years and have no need to go back.

elbow chic
July 29th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Fashion, probably. Long virgin hair is not always (or even usually) a fashionable kind of hair. Just not much money in it, I reckon.

I think it's having a bit of moment-in-the-sun because so many people are looking to save money wherever they can, but maybe in ten years a lot of us will look back on 2011 and think, "god, can you believe we ever were that into long hair? WHAT were we THINKING?" :laugh:

Dina L.
July 29th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I haven't had my hair cut at a salon since I was 10...actually, maybe I was more like 7. My mom quit taking me to get my hair cut at a salon because they always messed up my hair cuts and she ended up fixing it at home. My mom trimmed my hair until I was 16, then she taught me how to trim my own hair. I still don't see any point in going to a salon to get my hair done since I can get exactly what I want myself and for FREE.

Being a 2c/3a you made me very curious on how your hair is done. I hope you get those 25 posts very soon and after that you upload some pictures. :)

Until the age of 20 or so my mum used to cut my hair. Once I went to a very good hairdresser and months later I wanted my mum to refresh that haircut but she didn't succeed. Ahm, I had to correct it, it took about 3 hours. But I wasn't angry on her as she only had good intentions. She kept asking me about the length of my hair even 2 years later... Now that we live in different towns (and countries) I can't ask her help so I went to different hairdressers but I didn't like the results (except the very first one but I can't afford him right now). Now I'm ready to learn to cut my curly hair, Feye's method and the variation for layers seem great. I'm still in need of some good scissors, the one I'm using for S&D has very short blades.

October
July 29th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I rarely ever go to the hair dressers. Last time I went was about 2 years ago. They never do a good job and I always end up having to fix it myself anyway. Last time, I went to a place at the mall. My husband waited around, shopping, while I got my hair done. I took a picture with me of what I wanted, and she didn't make it look anything like the picture and she barely took anything off. My husband was annoyed when he saw me because my hair still looked the same (he doesn't like spending money on nothing, ya know). The time before that, at another place, she cut it really strange - almost mullet-ish, which I had to go home and fix.

Lucky for me, I took cosmetology in high school so I am not afraid of doing things myself. I do a better job anyway.

AlexiaBlue
July 29th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Fashion, probably. Long virgin hair is not always (or even usually) a fashionable kind of hair. Just not much money in it, I reckon.

I think it's having a bit of moment-in-the-sun because so many people are looking to save money wherever they can, but maybe in ten years a lot of us will look back on 2011 and think, "god, can you believe we ever were that into long hair? WHAT were we THINKING?" :laugh:

LOL How funny would that be?!

Rosetta
July 29th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Well, I haven't been going to a hairdresser regularly since...as long as I can remember. Even before it was mostly just once or twice a year, and nowadays as I self-trim I don't need to go at all :)

I've always wondered why it's seen as somehow "necessary" to go to hairdresser's regularly by most women (and certainly by hairdressers, but they do have a lot at stake there ;)) I know some women, like my mother, love going there and the pampering factor etc, whereas for me it was always a P.I.T.A to go there, but something I thought one couldn't avoid - but now I know I can, of course.

spidermom
July 29th, 2011, 10:50 AM
My hair stylist is awesome, but she'd trash my hair if I wanted her to. Highlighting and straightening are a choice; the hair stylists don't force people to do that - not the ones that I've known anyway.

Fethenwen
July 29th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I actually looked quite horrid before I started to go regularly to a hairdresser. I was 15:ish something. My hair was thin, lank and I had no bangs. It just hanged there and made me look miserable. At least that is what I see in past photos.

When I started to go to the hairdresser my hair looked more interesting and fitted my face-shape better, but it got horribly abused. My last draw was cutting it short and straighten the hell out of it.

I will never go back to that kind of styling. Fortunately mostly thanks to LHC I can wear my hair long now without having to style and cut it all the time :) Cutting out cones and learning ways to wear my hair without heatstyling or products have made all the difference. I have also learned to cut my bangs and cut the ends myself. My hair is thick and lively now.

Even so I might go to a hairdresser maybe once a year now, I had some layers put in last fall and I still don't regret it, the hairdresser did a fantastic job. And layers might need some freshening up from time to time.

I would love the have the face and ears so that I could sport long hair without bangs or layers and that way avoiding hairdressers, but I'm afraid that sort of style does not suit me :(

Crystal2010
July 29th, 2011, 11:12 AM
My hairdresser is good but I have to be very specific about what I want doing, how much I want cutting etc. I've always had layers, but a few years ago I decided to grow to all one length and managed this. Then she said it was too heavy, thick etc and putting layers back in would be better. Aarrgh, don't know why I let her talk me into that! She also used to razor cut it and 'thin it out'. But again, I let her because I didn't know then what I know now. I sometimes think it's just she doesn't know how to handle thick, wavy hair. Now we have more of an understanding, she trims small amounts. She supported me in my 'no colour for a year' because she gets that I'm trying to grow it long and all one length.

AnqeIicDemise
July 29th, 2011, 11:25 AM
I avoided cameras like the plague -- and still do-- so I don't have much to compare to.

There is one picture out there floating around from HS during my first Holiday Concert with the band. I think it was Freshman year. My hair was loose for once and it was free flowing past my waist, almost to hip and glossy. The most I ever did up until that point was trim it every few weeks and spritz the tiniest amount of lemon water to bring out natural high lights. Really, it looks like one giant canopy of hair as I was wearing a black, strapless velvet dress and my hair almost blended into it.

There are no more pictures after that point until the end of sophmore year after I joined colorguard. It was the end of the year pictures in uniform. Once again, my hair was long and long flowing. Oh. it made me so sad to see the developed pictures, I have them hidden in the bottom of my desk drawer. There, they still reside at my mom's house. A year before, my hair had been one thick, lovely glossy thing. The hair on this picture? Long, still but the damage evident.

The pictures had been taken outside on the front lawn on a normal, sunny SoCal day and yet my hair was dull. The ends poofy and resembling a lion's mane. Both pictures had been taken in December -- one candidly, the other professionally. One in doors, the other out doors. There was no clearer proof that heat styling, hair spray and crappy combs were culprit. It took me about a month and a half of thinking it over and come Valentine's day I cut it off. To pixie.

At least for me, going to the salon actually helped my hair... but I can tell you there were a lot of instances between 2001 to 2010 where I often regretted the monthly ritual of visiting the salon for upkeep. It got tedious... and I found myself stuck with very limited hairstyles. I always got complimented on my hair, usually in its gloss (I completely removed heat styling since then. I only relapse a few times in cases of emergency.) or very modern, chic style as it often changed.

Personally, it was just time for a chance... That and someone bet me I couldn't do it. Huzzah!

Vlientje
July 29th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Hmm, my hair never got worse because of the hairdresser, it always looked pretty, maybe a bit dry because of chemical dye. But I stopped cause it just got too expensive.

But, now it's not being trimmed anymore either! Do you guys do it yourselves? Not sure if I want to try that! :P

AnqeIicDemise
July 29th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Hmm, my hair never got worse because of the hairdresser, it always looked pretty, maybe a bit dry because of chemical dye. But I stopped cause it just got too expensive.

But, now it's not being trimmed anymore either! Do you guys do it yourselves? Not sure if I want to try that! :P

It took me a while but I finally found a hairdresser who actually listens to me. I only stop maybe every 4-5 months for a trim. I guess it helps that she has some seriously long hair of her own so she respects what I want. Shorter haired stylists keep trying to seduce me with their lovely scissored song. :crush:

** Some women are addicted to shoes, I'm addicted to haircuts.** which is why I avoid the salon and walk in without an appointment. That way I have to be squeezed in and I won't be tempted to get a major chop. If DH had the heart to trim my hair, I could avoid temptation altogether.

racrane
July 29th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I agree as well. My hair was so thick and "happy" before I started messing with color and heat. Anyway, I'm headed in the right direction and my hair is becoming the way it used to be.

trilobite
July 29th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Part of the reason I started growing my hair was bad hair cuts, whenever I think about cutting my hair, I just look at old pics. That is not to say that I never had a good haircut, I have had several great ones. I don't have a lot of money and I'm just not a gambler. A lot of TV time is taken up on taking ladies (lately men too) with perfectly nice hair and giving them makeovers with streaks and layers that will grow out and have to be maintained at great expense. It really gives honest hairstylists a bad name.

ellen732
July 29th, 2011, 04:06 PM
First off, I want to say that I don't mean to offend any LHC hair-stylists on here. I know you all are FABULOUS, so this isn't an attack on the GOOD seeds out there who know how to properly care for their client's hair :flower:

I think that was really a nice thing to say because as a hairstylist and a member of LHC it is hard not to really feel insulted by what people say on here in regard to the whole profession really. I try not to take it personally but that was really considerate of you. :blossom:

whitestiletto
July 29th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Hairstylists have been messing up my hair as long as I can remember... I will never go to one again. They have made me cry more than once and the last 4 I went to really messed it up, it takes years to recover the length and texture these women have removed... I want princess ends on my wurly hair so I figure the best way to do that is no trims (S/D ok), and definitely no heat... Henna and indigo I can do on my own.

I did go to one good hairdresser in the past several years, but it was my friend and she just dusted my ends at her house, for super cheap... I would go see her in a salon but she won't let me pay that much to see her!

ETA: I spent $425 on horrible haircuts and bleach last year before finding LHC.

UltraBella
July 29th, 2011, 05:45 PM
My hair stylist is awesome, but she'd trash my hair if I wanted her to. Highlighting and straightening are a choice; the hair stylists don't force people to do that - not the ones that I've known anyway.

Oh, bless you for stating this ! I have never understood how someone who makes the decision to get highlights, straightens and blow drys on a regular basis - blames their hair mistakes on the stylist.......

celebriangel
July 29th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Yes...I've had a few interesting cuts along the way. There was this girl who thinned and razored my hair to death (then I went to a wonderful stylist named Grace. She was 45 and looked like Nigella Lawson, and she exclaimed "Oh! Who razored your hair to death!" and then gave me a lovely trim which evened out my ex-pixie mullet and kept most of the length. I wish I still lived near her...).

I've also had a few "you cut way more than I wanted!" cuts. But mostly when I was younger. The only bad one recently was this guy who decided I must want layers and face-framing pieces, right, because that's what *every* college-age girl wants *eyeroll*. Needless to say, I will not be returning.

I did have a lovely haircut from this woman near my current house. She took off very little, and evened things out, but it was a reasonably expensive cut and I'm poor! I may be able to float it for once every 9 months though... However, I had a layered cut at the time and it was a very salony salon, so maybe they wouldn't like it if I requested just a blunt cut and no wash and no blow-drying.

My longhair friend, however, recently told me that she used to get her hair cut at this place, and they didn't object at all to doing exactly what she asked! So there is definitely hope. You just gotta go in, be definite about what you want, and be willing to be firm/find somewhere else if they look like they might overrule you. Sadly, some people want to make money more than they want to make people happy, and that's true of basically every kind of industry.

Hairdressers on LHC, thank you for understanding! We love you :)

Mairéad
July 29th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I'm afraid to go get a trim but I'm need one because I'm growing out a pixie and it's a bit all over the place. I was thinking of fixing it up when it can be made into some sort of chin length thing. I don't want layers or bangs but they're always given to me.

People say I should just say, "Stop!" but they always make me take my glasses off I literally cannot see what they're doing and what I think are scissors is actually a razor. A lot of times I never see what has happened to my hair until I put my glasses back on.

I like a fringe and a layer (an in uno) but I've decided not to mess with those sorts of things until I've gotten to the length I want to maintain.

TheCaityCat
July 29th, 2011, 06:10 PM
It's now been almost three months since I last had my hair done at a salon. I got a haircut right before graduation and haven't done anything like it since then except wash it and let it grow. The last few cuts were only $35 since I went to a cheaper salon, but it was still more hassle than I wanted to put up with. I'd rather spend more money and just get a nice trim every few months.

During my last year of college I would get it cut, colored, and blowdried every six weeks. It cost me close to $100 and though it was a great look (at the time), it was so much money and time!

Lostsoule77
July 29th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Growing up we could never afford to go to a salon. I've only been three times in my life (5 if you count going just to get it styled for a wedding.) All 3 times they cut off more than I wanted and the one gave me highlights that looked grey in certain lights! Doing them myself I may not get stylish cuts, but at least I don't get more cut off than I want. :)

My worst story is when I went into a shop with my best friend in middle school. She was getting a cut and just wanted company. Well at the time I had a perm (my mom did it) and was told I coulnd't brush my hair. I could only use a pick on it. Well I developed a HUGE rat's nest right by my nape. My bf's mom asked the hairdresser if she could look at it for me. Well the hairdresser said that it could not be gotten out and I'd just have to get it cut out. I had midback length hair and this would've brought me up to a short bob. I said no way. Thankfully my bf's mom took pity on me. She slathered my hair with mayonnaise and worked on the knot for over an hour. I lost almost no hair and none of my length. To this day she is a hero to me. I have no doubt that the hairdresser just didn't want to go through all that work, but to tell a young girl that she has no other option except to cut is sad.

Miss Maisie
July 29th, 2011, 06:22 PM
The first time I went to a salon was when I was 15. My aunt always cut my hair - it was long, straight, one length, and I had bangs. I hated it. I wanted something more "fun."

I went through about a 10 year phase of super short hair, and to keep it in shape I'd get it cut every 4-6 weeks. I'm lucky in that I've only had one terrible, terrible experience - a stylist gave me blonde highlights when I'd wanted brown (my hair is almost black). The "blonde" was more orange than anything, and I stopped to pick up a bottle of Nice n' Easy to cover it up on the way home from the salon. It was awful.

Since I decided to let it grow I haven't had a cut in 3 months. I'm trying to wait until my birthday (November) for the next trim, so we'll see how that goes! The nice thing is that we just moved to a new city (and state!), so I don't have a hair stylist out here anyway. That keeps me from making emergency phone calls to the gal who cut my hair for 3 years in my old city!

celebriangel
July 29th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I'm afraid to go get a trim but I'm need one because I'm growing out a pixie and it's a bit all over the place. I was thinking of fixing it up when it can be made into some sort of chin length thing. I don't want layers or bangs but they're always given to me.

People say I should just say, "Stop!" but they always make me take my glasses off I literally cannot see what they're doing and what I think are scissors is actually a razor. A lot of times I never see what has happened to my hair until I put my glasses back on.

I like a fringe and a layer (an in uno) but I've decided not to mess with those sorts of things until I've gotten to the length I want to maintain.

I have that exact problem with the glasses.

I am going to get contacts, I kid you not, for that exact purpose. Hey, I only wear them on special occasions, and monthlies are as cheap as chips if you wear them only once a week or so. Or, you could get the test, get the "trial" of the one-a-day pairs, and wear them specifically when you go to get your hair cut...

The other option is to just take in a laundry list of DO NOT WANT and slowly and carefully explain it and then politely emphasise how unhappy you will be if you find out that they have not followed your instructions and also that you will not pay if they don't do what you want. That'll probably work too. It's a bit more confrontational though. To be honest, though, if you're clear about what you want at the beginning, most hairdressers will give you what you asked for.

winona
July 29th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I am terrified of going to the hair dresser because most of my experiences there have been total failures. The hair dressers generally dont listen at all and end up doing what the heck they want:(

whitestiletto
July 29th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Oh, bless you for stating this ! I have never understood how someone who makes the decision to get highlights, straightens and blow drys on a regular basis - blames their hair mistakes on the stylist.......

Well part of the problem is the stylist will never tell you it's damaging, and will encourage you to keep coming back. They'll tell you it looks great but never mention it could look even better if you weren't paying them to do it.

GRU
July 29th, 2011, 10:41 PM
LOL, so true! I am loving the $$$ I'm saving by not going into the salon any longer!

Don't worry... before long you'll be blowing all that money on absolutely gorgeous hairtoys and lovely goops like Panacea! :lol:

Check out Feye's Do-It-Yourself Hair Trimming Technique (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) -- this (or some version of it) is what most folks around here use if they do their own trims.

My biggest problem wasn't dyes, highlights, or straightening, as I never did any of those things. My biggest issue was finding someone who could cut curly hair, and finding someone who knew the difference between "trimming" and "CHOPPING". Particularly being a curly, someone taking off 3" of hair (instead of the half-inch I had requested) resulted in hair that shrank up 6"-8" instead! :blueeek:

I found a WONDERFUL stylist back in 1991, and I haven't let anyone else touch my hair since! Granted, I haven't even been to see her in 3-4 years, but I used to go see her every 8 weeks when I had bangs and/or layers. She is a doll, always cringed and apologized if she hit a snag (and in my hair, how can you NOT hit a snag once in a while? :lol:), and always held up a tress and showed me how much she was going to be taking off (often it was less than a quarter of an inch). I wish I could clone her and put one of her in every salon in the world!

ericthegreat
July 30th, 2011, 01:04 AM

Thank you both for speaking the voices of reason! :blossom:
Your hairstylist can't literally drag you to his or her chair and force highlights/coloring/flat-ironing on you. That is something that YOU yourself have requested to have done. At the very worst, there are hairstylists out there who may strongly voice their opinions about what color/style/haircut would look good on you, but that's all they are allowed to do. If you don't want your hair colored/highlighted, simply don't ask for it. If you don't want your hair heat-styled at all, simply tell the stylist to not use any heat appliance on your head. And if you don't want any fancy layers or razor cuts, again speak up and tell your stylist that no, no matter how fancy or "in fashion" this new haircut is, you simply don't want that kind of haircut. And if you feel uncomfortable with the stylist for whatever reason at all, then you have the right to request to change to a different stylist.

From my experiences as both being a hairstylist myself and a long time salon client, hair disappointments come from a severe mis-communication between the client and the stylist. Make sure to have a good consultation with your stylist beforehand so that he or she sees the same idea that you have. " I want my layers to start past my collarbone and no shorter. " or " I still want my hair to fall to my waist. " and point to it, for example. I have seen and talked to many happy clients and I've been a happy client myself for over 10 years now, good communication is the key.

UltraBella
July 30th, 2011, 03:06 AM
Well part of the problem is the stylist will never tell you it's damaging, and will encourage you to keep coming back. They'll tell you it looks great but never mention it could look even better if you weren't paying them to do it.

Seriously ? It's their JOB to provide you with the hair services you ask for. It is not their job to be your mother and police your hair choices. You are quite capable of researching and then making an educated choice for yourself and the hair routine that suits you best.

When you buy a pastry at the bakery, do you expect the baker to warn you that the fat content is high ? That it's full of refined sugar and has no nutritional value ? No, they will sell you the goody you choose. That's how they make a living.

A hair disaster - when someone gets a terrible cut, etc that they didn't ask for - is an entirely different story. But straightening, blow drying, and requesting highlights are all self-inflicted. Someone's poor choices for themselves should not translate into blame for others.

Dina L.
July 30th, 2011, 03:46 AM
My biggest issue was finding someone who could cut curly hair, and finding someone who knew the difference between "trimming" and "CHOPPING". Particularly being a curly, someone taking off 3" of hair (instead of the half-inch I had requested) resulted in hair that shrank up 6"-8" instead! :blueeek:

That's my main problem, too. Actually I know a hairdresser like that, guess what, he has curly hair down to his shoulders. :) He always listened to what I asked and did the best he could. And those 2 times I've been under his scissors he did better than what I could imagine.
But there was another curly hairdresser, actually she was curlier hair than me and her first question was if I want her to straighten my hair... Blah. :rolleyes: In the end she made a good cut by I looked like a lion even after 3-4 washings as she separated my normal locks into many-many tiny locks.

I agree that good communication is key between you and the hairdresser but 1. good communication needs both parties, 2. if the hairdresser isn't skilled enough she might understand what you want if she can't do that and you only find out this on your own skin.

Misty'sMess
July 30th, 2011, 04:47 AM
I'm not afraid of the the hairdressers, I just got sick of the fact that their one inch was not my one inch. I'm going to try to bribe my mum into cutting my hair next time. (Hopefully that wouldn't be until the end of the year as I am going that no trims all 2011 challenge. It should give me just enough time to work magic on my mum)

timotej
July 30th, 2011, 05:22 AM
I've had good cuts and bad cuts, but what I don't like is being scolded every time I go for not coming sooner. Another thing that happens every time is that I always ask them how much they are planning to cut, and they go "Oh, just 2-3 cm" and I say ok - and then they take 10 cm.

Last time was not pleasant, when I (nicely) stated that she could only take those 3 cm and not more, she changed her tone and was pissy during the whole haircut. Well, she took perhaps 5 or so, so that's an improvement, but I will absolutely not go back - why would I want to have someone being mad at me for 45 minutes?

whitestiletto
July 30th, 2011, 06:31 AM
At my last salon stylist I had a lengthy consultation and explained to her I was growing my hair out and wanted an inch taken off, no more. I stated it multiple times. Guess how many inches she took off? 8. I cried, a lot.

However, 1 1/2 yrs ago I went to a salon stylist (my friend though, so at her house, perhaps why it worked out better) and explained the exact same thing, and she merely shaped my cut into a U-hem while removing as little length as possible. I think she actually dusted my hair, before I knew what that was.

So how are we to know which stylist will destroy our hair and which will do a good job? This is why we are scared. And I've had a stylist flat-iron my hair for literally 20-30 minutes... It's hard to say no when you are in the chair, the power dynamic is all wrong.

I would know better now and stand up for myself, but once they make a big chop with the scissors, there's nothing you can say. And when you believe that hair stylists know everything about hair, you listen to them without question, then afterwards are just confused why it doesn't look good, or don't question that it could look better.

Mesmerise
July 30th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Seriously ? It's their JOB to provide you with the hair services you ask for. It is not their job to be your mother and police your hair choices. You are quite capable of researching and then making an educated choice for yourself and the hair routine that suits you best.

When you buy a pastry at the bakery, do you expect the baker to warn you that the fat content is high ? That it's full of refined sugar and has no nutritional value ? No, they will sell you the goody you choose. That's how they make a living.

A hair disaster - when someone gets a terrible cut, etc that they didn't ask for - is an entirely different story. But straightening, blow drying, and requesting highlights are all self-inflicted. Someone's poor choices for themselves should not translate into blame for others.

Hmm I get what you're saying... but something like blowdrying is often just a part of getting a hair cut or trim. I remember a few years back after having a few inches of damaged hair chopped off, the hairdresser whipped out the dryer to dry my hair... and it was hot... and I thought "wow that's hot!" but I reassured myself that she knew what she was doing and as she was the expert she wouldn't be damaging my hair! Well umm... the blonde foils I'd had in my hair (not then... months earlier...) ended up fried. Yes...fried and frizzled... I had to cut the frizzled bits out myself. I had just had a LOT of hair cut off to remove some of the bleach damage, but there was still some left...the remaining hair should have been FINE if treated gently. But nope... she fried it...

Soooo... I think a lot of times if a hairdresser offers to blowdry or straighten your hair, you can THINK that you can trust that they wouldn't be offering the service if it wasn't perfectly safe for your hair. I mean... I've had hairdressers rip through my hair with a brush, and I reassured myself that they were the EXPERT and wouldn't knowingly damage hair! I was incredibly naive, and I'm not an unintelligent person!!

I never asked these people to damage my hair. Yes, I know if I'm getting my hair bleached or coloured, there will be damage, but not damage from run of the mill hairdressing practice.

I don't think it's self inflicted damage when someone goes in for a trim and then has a brush ripped through their hair, and then has their hair blowfried on the hot setting because they assumed that the hairdresser "knows what she's doing" and wouldn't knowingly damage their hair!

LHC has opened my eyes to a LOT! I would never, ever, ever allow a hairdresser to blowdry my hair on anything but the coolest setting now. In fact, I probably wouldn't let them dry it at all! I will never again assume that when a hairdresser rips through my hair with a brush or comb it's "Okay, cause she's the expert and she knows what she's doing".

Now, most of my times in the salon have been fairly positive... yes there have been a few doozies (ie the stupid woman who fried my freshly chopped hair with a hairdryer that was too hot...) but mostly, I've been reasonably happy with most trims/cuts I've had. Still, I'm never again going to assume that a hairdresser knows more than me about all aspects of hair care (and yes, most probably do... but that doesn't mean they know everything, and it doesn't mean they've beeen taught to treat all hair gently). Instead, when/if I go to a hairdresser again, I will go in with the assumption that I know more about MY hair than she does!!

UltraBella
July 30th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Hmm I get what you're saying... but something like blowdrying is often just a part of getting a hair cut or trim. I remember a few years back after having a few inches of damaged hair chopped off, the hairdresser whipped out the dryer to dry my hair... and it was hot... and I thought "wow that's hot!" but I reassured myself that she knew what she was doing and as she was the expert she wouldn't be damaging my hair! Well umm... the blonde foils I'd had in my hair (not then... months earlier...) ended up fried. Yes...fried and frizzled... I had to cut the frizzled bits out myself. I had just had a LOT of hair cut off to remove some of the bleach damage, but there was still some left...the remaining hair should have been FINE if treated gently. But nope... she fried it...

Soooo... I think a lot of times if a hairdresser offers to blowdry or straighten your hair, you can THINK that you can trust that they wouldn't be offering the service if it wasn't perfectly safe for your hair. I mean... I've had hairdressers rip through my hair with a brush, and I reassured myself that they were the EXPERT and wouldn't knowingly damage hair! I was incredibly naive, and I'm not an unintelligent person!!

I never asked these people to damage my hair. Yes, I know if I'm getting my hair bleached or coloured, there will be damage, but not damage from run of the mill hairdressing practice.

I don't think it's self inflicted damage when someone goes in for a trim and then has a brush ripped through their hair, and then has their hair blowfried on the hot setting because they assumed that the hairdresser "knows what she's doing" and wouldn't knowingly damage their hair!

LHC has opened my eyes to a LOT! I would never, ever, ever allow a hairdresser to blowdry my hair on anything but the coolest setting now. In fact, I probably wouldn't let them dry it at all! I will never again assume that when a hairdresser rips through my hair with a brush or comb it's "Okay, cause she's the expert and she knows what she's doing".

Now, most of my times in the salon have been fairly positive... yes there have been a few doozies (ie the stupid woman who fried my freshly chopped hair with a hairdryer that was too hot...) but mostly, I've been reasonably happy with most trims/cuts I've had. Still, I'm never again going to assume that a hairdresser knows more than me about all aspects of hair care (and yes, most probably do... but that doesn't mean they know everything, and it doesn't mean they've beeen taught to treat all hair gently). Instead, when/if I go to a hairdresser again, I will go in with the assumption that I know more about MY hair than she does!!

I totally understand your point, but I was referring to the OP's original post. She pointed out how great her hair looked before SHE started straightening and blow drying and going in for highlights. It's not like a hairdresser genie *poof* showed up in her bathroom every morning and forced a flat iron into her hands.

AlexiaBlue
July 30th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I totally understand your point, but I was referring to the OP's original post. She pointed out how great her hair looked before SHE started straightening and blow drying and going in for highlights. It's not like a hairdresser genie *poof* showed up in her bathroom every morning and forced a flat iron into her hands.

LOL! I totally agree! I was quite stupid with my hair care in the past. Nobody forced me to get high-lights or flat iron, I was just blindly doing what various stylists had suggested would make my hair look "fabulous" etc.

I (wrongly) felt that I could trust what "high-end" stylists recommended was the best way to style/care for my hair. I'm so glad I now know better. It IS my fault for continuing to visit those stylists who destroyed my hair. I'm just disappointed in myself that it took so long to see the light.

aliceinmadness
July 30th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I think for the most part, people abuse their hair because:

A: magazines tell them it's stylish and THIS is how to get "the look" (I hardly ever see any halfway wavy 'do that doesn't require a curling iron and a blow-out in the instructions)

B: they use bad products which don't do their hair any favors

C: the person they trust (read: the hairstylist) isn't going to tell them to do anything differently.

Most people don't know any better, and their main sources of information aren't going to correct them. Unless they damage it so badly that it becomes completely unmanageable and/or ugly, they're probably not going to hit google.

There are very few stylists out there who will say that your hair is quite damaged and they can't guarantee the color results of a massive bleaching job...and suggest instead to get a small trim, a moisture treatment and going up just one or two shades in order to work up to the ol' platinum blonde. IMO, if someone presents themselves as an expert, they should actually consult with you rather than just following your orders. If you absolutely insist after that point, it's on your own head (pun intended). I mean, if a doctor or a financial advisor tries to talk you out of something, you generally listen, eh? And you expect them to try to prevent you from doing something stupid, right? Right. I don't see why we would expect hair stylists to act like some kind of mindless drone.

Rosetta
July 30th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Hmm I get what you're saying... but something like blowdrying is often just a part of getting a hair cut or trim. (snip)

Thank you for this voice of reason! :flower:

It seems hairdresser-members are getting a bit defensive on this thread, when I don't think no one has ever intended to insult them, only the bad/incompetent/malicious/careless hairdressers, who unfortunately seem to be the majority...

(And just to make it clear, I've never blowdried or straightened my hair regularly, or let anyone else do so ;))

AlexiaBlue
July 30th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I think for the most part, people abuse their hair because:

A: magazines tell them it's stylish and THIS is how to get "the look" (I hardly ever see any halfway wavy 'do that doesn't require a curling iron and a blow-out in the instructions)

B: they use bad products which don't do their hair any favors

C: the person they trust (read: the hairstylist) isn't going to tell them to do anything differently.

Most people don't know any better, and their main sources of information aren't going to correct them. Unless they damage it so badly that it becomes completely unmanageable and/or ugly, they're probably not going to hit google.

There are very few stylists out there who will say that your hair is quite damaged and they can't guarantee the color results of a massive bleaching job...and suggest instead to get a small trim, a moisture treatment and going up just one or two shades in order to work up to the ol' platinum blonde. IMO, if someone presents themselves as an expert, they should actually consult with you rather than just following your orders. If you absolutely insist after that point, it's on your own head (pun intended). I mean, if a doctor or a financial advisor tries to talk you out of something, you generally listen, eh? And you expect them to try to prevent you from doing something stupid, right? Right. I don't see why we would expect hair stylists to act like some kind of mindless drone.

Alice, I couldn't agree more with all of the above.

Thank you for this voice of reason! :flower:

It seems hairdresser-members are getting a bit defensive on this thread, when I don't think no one has ever intended to insult them, only the bad/incompetent/malicious/careless hairdressers, who unfortunately seem to be the majority...

(And just to make it clear, I've never blowdried or straightened my hair regularly, or let anyone else do so ;))

Yes! I definitely didn't intend to start a "hairdresser bashing" thread or ignite controversy. I was venting some frustration. So, my apologies if I anyone has been insulted. That wasn't my intention. :blossom:

PraiseCheeses
July 30th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Oftentimes the problem is not that a stylist will omit the fact that what they're doing is harmful; the problem is when the stylist insists that something damaging is actually beneficial. Like "Flatironing will seal in moisture and improve hair health." Or "I need to blowdry your hair on a really hot setting to activate the treatment." Couple this with the pseudoscientific mumbo-jumbo most people are exposed to via advertising, and you have complete miseducation of the client. I've actually heard "Since evaporation is a cooling process, and flatironing causes evaporation, flatironing when wet is actually healthier." Kind of makes sense, right? Too bad it's actually BOILING the moisture before it evaporates...

I expect that kind of stuff from advertisements; big corporations aren't trying to build relationships with viewers behind a screen or magazine. But to hear those statements from stylists, with whom one has some sort of personal or professional relationship? That's either woeful miseducation or blatant dishonesty - in either case, not someone I'd return to.

That's completely different than warning someone about the damage the requested services may cause. Personally, I think there are already too many cautions and warning labels out there already, and yes, we need to educate ourselves and learn to be polite but assertive.

I'm really grateful for all the different perspectives at LHC, and yes, our stylists are awesome and provide really valuable insight in how to make those relationships work!:flower:

ellen732
July 30th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I have to add another two cents to this. Most clients will come to you with a picture of a style and/or color they have in mind. It is your job to work with them to achieve this desired look. When stylists over process the hair with chemicals, that stylist is incompetent. I always worked at a high end salon and you don't earn a clients trust or build a clientele for yourself by damaging people's hair. A true professional will be honest and tell the client that it may take two or three visits in order to achieve a certain color the client is looking for. And yes, we do want you to come back for trims in 6 to 8 weeks because the majority of people utilize blow dryers and irons to achieve a look, and not because we told them to do so but because that is what the majority of the population wants, not long hair that is put in a bun everyday. I can tell you that I have had clients sign release forms because their hair was not in good condition but they insisted on having chemical services done. Your relationship with your stylist is a two way street. I think the best way to find a competent stylist is to ask someone who has nice hair who they use.

citadel
July 30th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I stopped going to salons when I was a broke college student. I also went to a private high school before where we couldn't really dye our hair, so in college, I went nuts with boxed hair dye. I realized that I didn't need to go to a salon at all when people were always complimenting my color and asking where I got it done, when they had asked for the same color, paid $300 for it, and it turned out nothing like they had wanted. I'm also pretty handy with scissors, so cutting my hair has never been a problem.

But I agree with whoever said they are very "girly-girl" and would love to go to salons. It's definitely a thing that all my girlfriends talk about that I just can't get into.

UltraBella
July 30th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I have to add another two cents to this. Most clients will come to you with a picture of a style and/or color they have in mind. It is your job to work with them to achieve this desired look. When stylists over process the hair with chemicals, that stylist is incompetent. I always worked at a high end salon and you don't earn a clients trust or build a clientele for yourself by damaging people's hair. A true professional will be honest and tell the client that it may take two or three visits in order to achieve a certain color the client is looking for. And yes, we do want you to come back for trims in 6 to 8 weeks because the majority of people utilize blow dryers and irons to achieve a look, and not because we told them to do so but because that is what the majority of the population wants, not long hair that is put in a bun everyday. I can tell you that I have had clients sign release forms because their hair was not in good condition but they insisted on having chemical services done. Your relationship with your stylist is a two way street. I think the best way to find a competent stylist is to ask someone who has nice hair who they use.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. At the two salons I own, there are no release forms, the client simply hears the word NO. So, you want to bleach your hair from dark brown to light blonde, add platinum blonde highlights, carmel low-lights and get a perm ? All today ? Not happening !
I hear stylists warn of damage DAILY. I hear flat out NO several times a week. And I hear clients push, insist, demand and flat out beg for things that will wreck their hair regardless of the warning. Later, when their hair looks fried and awful, they will point their finger at the stylist.
Also, some people - myself included - can torture their hair all they want and it looks fantastic. A client who has very baby fine hair requested that the stylist who does my hair give her my base color, my highlights and then my cut and a lesson on how to curl her hair like mine as well. Her hair would suffer greatly, but mine seems indestructible. I have been coloring, bleaching, curling for 7+ years. Doesn't mean she can.

Unfortunately, bad stylists are inevitable. Bad clients are as well.

RitaCeleste
July 30th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Well, I've gotten some good cuts and things at the salon. I learned a perm will go to frizz and leave me perming until it is quickly fried. I learned I can color all I want as long as I don't try to go platinum. I have also learned not to walk-in to strange salons and expect not to be butchered. Last time I asked for face framing layers and my sides ended up way too short and gapped up. I'm still growing that out. The cooler styles just don't suit me even if they are well done. I chased the perfect haircut for a few years. I've just given up on finding it at this point. I do know a good cut from a bad one and the last one didn't inspire any customer loyalty (choppy and lopsided). I'd never expect a stylist to turn down money to color my hair for me for the sake of my hair. But I do wonder at the number of stylists that struggle at layering hair longer than BSL. If its longer, they will make it BSL. I'm just assuming they have a harder time with longer hair. I have gotten some really, really bad cuts over the years, enough to make me wonder if they just hated me. I've gotten good ones too, just not lately. I've just learned to put my hair up and forget it. Now that sounds like a plan!

UltraBella
July 30th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Well, I've gotten some good cuts and things at the salon. I learned a perm will go to frizz and leave me perming until it is quickly fried. I learned I can color all I want as long as I don't try to go platinum. I have also learned not to walk-in to strange salons and expect not to be butchered. Last time I asked for face framing layers and my sides ended up way too short and gapped up. I'm still growing that out. The cooler styles just don't suit me even if they are well done. I chased the perfect haircut for a few years. I've just given up on finding it at this point. I do know a good cut from a bad one and the last one didn't inspire any customer loyalty (choppy and lopsided). I'd never expect a stylist to turn down money to color my hair for me for the sake of my hair. But I do wonder at the number of stylists that struggle at layering hair longer than BSL. If its longer, they will make it BSL. I'm just assuming they have a harder time with longer hair. I have gotten some really, really bad cuts over the years, enough to make me wonder if they just hated me. I've gotten good ones too, just not lately. I've just learned to put my hair up and forget it. Now that sounds like a plan!

Layers are definitely a huge challenge for many stylists. I honestly don't know why. But you just never know what someone's skill set is and that makes it VERY scary. People ask me all the time who cuts my layers and I am happy to tell them because my stylist seriously ROCKS. My layers are AWESOME ! :D I appreciate her so much.

BlazingHeart
July 30th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I don't know that I would have ever learned to love my hair if it wasn't for Oksana. She's styled my hair since I was 12 or so. I don't go often, once or twice a year, but my mother is one of her regulars.

Every good cut I've had was from her. My hair has just enough wave to be difficult, not to mention how thick my hair is, so it takes a long time to do a good job cutting my hair. I do let her blowdry it because with my tons of hair and little bit of wave, it's hard to get it to lay right unless you can see it both wet and dry. The only cut I've had from her that I didn't like the results...well, she did warn me that she could cut my hair the way the photo looked but it wouldn't behave like that because of my thickness. I have always gotten exactly what I asked for from her.

At this point, even though I'm only out to visit my parents once or twice a year, I still don't let anyone else touch my hair. Too many people have messed it up, and I'm fed up with choppy, uneven cuts that happen because stylists rush cutting my hair or don't have the skills to manage hair this thick. Guess I should be glad I'm letting it go long again!

~Blaze

MandyBeth
July 31st, 2011, 12:14 AM
I love my stylist. My hair is so damage from henna, and I don't have the length for self trims. Saw him yesterday, he dusted the ends, checked the back for splits, charged me 20. Took 30 years to find him!

AnqeIicDemise
July 31st, 2011, 02:14 AM

Unfortunately, bad stylists are inevitable. Bad clients are as well.

It definitely is a two way street.

The most expensive hair stylist I went to flat out told me 'no' and then proceeded to tell my *why* a certain cut/hair color was not a good idea. He has a way of getting the client to talk about their life, what they like don't like... and frankly, what I wanted would have caused my hair to be trashed. 1) the color would've made me look terrible. 2) It required using tools I did not want to use ever again (razors and thinning) because my hair is so thick. 3) I did not have the lifestyle to warrant said look. (I.e. I like wash and wears, this one look would require me to wake up early and WORK on my hair.)

And I respected him for that too. The way he talked to me and explained things let me know he had a lot of pride in his work and didn't want me to be upset over a shoddy job that would make the two of us look awful.

We ended up coming up with a different look that I loved.

Man, if I could fly to SoCal every time I wanted a new style or even a trim, I would. But sadly, I don't have the cash for it.

Ps: Its also up to the client to have a voice and tell the stylist 'enough is enough' or 'please stop' when a cut isn't being done properly or they have a gut feeling it's going to suck.

Mirsha
July 31st, 2011, 02:53 AM
My last visit to a hairdresser was just before I turned 4 and started going to school. We cut off my braid, she gave me a nice bob and that was that. My hair was washed before we went, dried before we went, detangled before we went.. all because my mother was trying to save money. Cuts only are about 30% cheaper than a wash and cut.
My mother still does the same, only she brings pictures of 'hip' (hip 10 years ago :rolleyes:) short hairdo's. She never gets the results she wants because she is not willing to put up with the greasy hair styling gives her. Her last haircut is positively boyish, not a good look for someone in her 50's in my opinion. In 3 or 4 months, she grows her hair out to a nice looking shag, before the process starts all over again.

The few times I've been to a hairdresser with mum, they always did what mum asked. After that she figured she could save money by cutting it herself and I never saw a hairdresser again.

That is all the experience I've had with hairdressers but I always used to think: they give you what you ask for, if it doesn't meet your expectations it's your own fault.
They have the best interest for you, like a doctor, but they don't always know what is good for you, unlike a doctor. (depending on doctor and hairdresser, bla bla disclaimer)

A few years ago one of my friends got a cut by a student-hairdresser. She let her do whatever she wanted and ended up just getting a trim and red(?) highlights in her blonde hair. The student didn't feel confident enough yet to do anything else.

Maybe the hairdressers that -completely- botch cuts are overcondfident, that even if you don't return, there will be someone else they get their income from.

Catlover
July 31st, 2011, 03:25 AM
You are lucky if you can find a good hair dresser - i went for a trim at the very beginning of this year - thinking my ends were damaged - hairdresser - said my hair is very healthy etc - she gave me a reluctant dusting of the ends only charged me $20 - and said not to come back to a hairdresser.

She had not seen me since I had started to grow it about 18 months - and did not recognise me - lol.

Anyhow have heeded her advice and the advice I get from fellow LHCers and look after my ends and hair etc and it feels good and looks good.

wandlimb
July 31st, 2011, 07:40 AM
I'm lucky - my hairdresser is very supportive of my growing my hair and does what I ask her to do (razor the front bits, cut off split ends if they get bad BUT only a couple of millimetres at present). She says it's nice to see hair that's in such good condition.

whitestiletto
July 31st, 2011, 08:00 AM
My hair is so damage from henna

Henna damaged your hair? Can you elaborate?

MandyBeth
July 31st, 2011, 09:58 AM
Dried it out horribly, made it brittle, god awful color on me, and my "good" BAQ henna with high dye content not only is hotter than the cheap stuff at the Indian store, but reacts as if it is metallic salt based, the cheap does not.

MandyBeth
July 31st, 2011, 10:02 AM
Oh, all the bad cuts - I wanted a look my hair can't manage. I thinned it to make it managable. Which having cat fine hair just makes splits. My best, tho short, was telling the stylist, do what works.

LisaButz2001
July 31st, 2011, 11:13 AM
I've never had a bad experience. I'm reluctant to go now, because without realizing it my hair has hit mid-thigh. Visually I like it but a) sitting on it is a nuisance and b) the ends are getting dry and damaged. It's too long to cut myself. The issue is how short to go? I was thinking waist, but I don't fancy being so short agan, however I doubt I can find a stylist willing to go to tailbone. We'll see around August 15th, when I get paid.

GRU
July 31st, 2011, 12:26 PM
I've never had a bad experience. I'm reluctant to go now, because without realizing it my hair has hit mid-thigh. Visually I like it but a) sitting on it is a nuisance and b) the ends are getting dry and damaged. It's too long to cut myself. The issue is how short to go? I was thinking waist, but I don't fancy being so short agan, however I doubt I can find a stylist willing to go to tailbone. We'll see around August 15th, when I get paid.

Why is that? Seems like the longer it is, the easier it is to self-trim? :confused:

KrissyKitty
July 31st, 2011, 02:57 PM
I think it was the highlights and dye that really killed my hair. I think that my hair was much more beautiful before I started messing with the color. Of course, I've had some really bad haircuts along the way as well. But I'm not good at trimming my own hair. I think its a matter of finding a hairdresser who listens and respects your decisions and doesn't push or try to sell you on layers or highlights.

Vani1902
July 31st, 2011, 03:07 PM
As a kid, I never saw my mom go to the hairdresser. Everything she did herself. She colors her own hair. She cuts her own hair. She never straightens it and when she does, my sister is the one that does it. As a result, I have never set foot in a salon. EVER! Everything that has happened to my hair I have done it. All the chemicals and cuts I did myself. In other words, I am in complete control to what happens to my hair. I am the only one responsible for any mishaps. Needless to say, I don't plan on visiting a salon anytime soon. I know exactly what they will try to sell me ------> hair straighteners lol. My hair is not what hairstylists approve of. And quite frankly, I don't care. :)
I am just glad to have a mother that has very similar views on hair as mine. :)

LisaButz2001
August 6th, 2011, 06:16 PM
@ GRU because I cannot see my hair properly without my glasses, at the distance I need to be away from the mirror to capture the full length of my hair. I'm nearsighted (?)

Mesmerise
August 6th, 2011, 06:56 PM

Well I can understand how really long hair would be hard to self trim, even using Feye's method, because your arm would struggle to pull the hairband down to the right length I'd think!

Anyway, you SHOULD be able to find a hairdresser willing to trim your hair to tailbone. Honestly, it is their JOB to do what you say. If you are really specific and show them how long you want it, there's no reason why they should not do it! It's your hair not theirs ;). Some may pressure you into cutting more, but you just need to be firm. Why not take a friend with you when you go? They can watch what the hairdresser is doing and make sure he/she doesn't cut off too much!

xoerincolleen
August 6th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I've always had mixed results with going to the salon. I usually go to a Hair Cuttery (I'm cheap) and have gotten fabulous results in the past and horrible results. The last cut, I was not happy with, so I've vowed to try out the self-trimming thing so that I can have control over how much comes off, so I can grow.
I like the idea of a beauty shop, though. My grandmom gets her hair set every Saturday and is good friends with the hairdresser and chats with the other regulars. It's that classic, little, local, gossipy place where old ladies get their hair done!

GRU
August 6th, 2011, 09:03 PM
@ GRU because I cannot see my hair properly without my glasses, at the distance I need to be away from the mirror to capture the full length of my hair. I'm nearsighted (?)

I completely understand nearsightedness and being blind as a bat without glasses/contacts.
My contact lens prescription is -6.0 and -6.5! :blueeek:

I was thinking of Feye's Self-Trim (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) system, which should be easy to do with or without glasses (or even blind).

Deemeeuh
August 7th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Agreed! My hair was originally long and thick (though still fine)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v487/flufffycloud9/?action=view&current=206727_8933220074_744970074_154407_7898_n. jpg

And then... a 5 year succession of awful hairdressers got their hands on it, chopping (unwanted) and highlighting (wanted). One hairdresser even "cut the damage out" of my hair, giving me a ridiculous looking 2 inch layer all around my head. It took me 3 years to grow out those layers, my hair is almost all one length again!

Which is all thanks to this site teaching me not to get cuts! It seems obvious- long hair = less cutting but all the hairdressers I've ever met don't understand the concept of growing hair out! (I know there are good ones out there, just never got to meet them.) I trimmed my hair on my own for the first time last month using Feye's method and it worked amazingly withOUT looking like I lost a ton of length. Try accomplishing that at the salon!!