PDA

View Full Version : Hair brushes and brushing

long.hair.maybe
July 29th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Does everyone here use a hair brush?

How and why do you use it? What kind of brush do you use?

I've been using combs only for a long time now, but I've decided to buy a brush for those occasions when I just feel like giving my scalp/hair a bit of a brush.

Is Porcupine Hair good for brushes? I was thinking of getting this one (http://www.feelunique.com/p/Kent-Small-Porcupine-Hair-Brush)

vanillabones
July 29th, 2011, 06:42 AM
I don't use one but I can't seem to get my mom to give hers up. I only comb and I have a tangle teezer that feels awesome to use to brush my scalp / hair as it's really scritching feeling and I never find any hairs stuck in it :)

MaraJSkywalker
July 29th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I use a wide-tooth comb first, to get all the tangles out, and then I use a boar bristle brush. The BBB feels very nice against my scalp, and my hair is much shinier and softer since I started using it.

That particular brush has nylon in it, and I think I've heard that nylon is not good for your hair, but I'm not sure.

JuliaDancer
July 29th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I have two boar bristle brushes from Mason Pearson: one with, and one without nylon. Both feel great to me, but I feel like the nylon helps comb while polishing, while the BB only brush is more just for straight polishing. I brush after combing with a wide tooth comb, because it helps spread the oils from my scalp down the strands of my hair, and it seems to have made my hair softer and smoother. I've never tried porcupine, but I don't think it would give you the polish and spread the oils the way a BBB does, so to me, you would be better off just sticking to a comb. I may be wrong though, as I've never tried it.

Kelikea
July 29th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I use a Goody brush with copper coated bristles. I use it to brush my hair at least once daily. I'm not sure why we shouldn't brush our hair, as I'm new as well.

jojo
July 29th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I use a mason pearson all natural bristle BBB. Nylon can cause damage as it generates heat. I just tip my head forward and brush for 5 minutes, twice a day.

Please bear in mind BBB are not for de-tangling hair, you need to use a comb first to get rid of the lugs.

irishlady
July 29th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I do. I use a Tangle Teezer, it's much gentler on hair. Except when my hair's wet, then I use a wide tooth comb.

Cowgirl16
July 29th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I use a Goody BBB and a tangle teaser. I believe I have read here somewhere that the little balls on the end of the bristles are not good :confused:

archel
July 29th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I used a wide paddle brush for detangling, a wide toothed shower comb when it's wet, and a BBB (by Scunci, it's really pretty good for the price) at night before bed.

I am looking at fancy brushes on Amazon. I really want a Mason Pearson, but I may get the Denman knockoff (the BBB with a bit of nylon mixed in for detangling). I also want the Denman detangling brush with the plastic bristles and the rubber base. I hear great things about these for detangling both wet and dry hair.

I have 2 wooden combs on the way from Amazon, so I hope they're decent quality. They were pretty cheap and had good reviews.

I sort of want a Tangle Teezer, but they're plastic and just don't look as classic as the wooden MP and Denman brushes. Yeah I know, I'm weird.

elbow chic
July 29th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I used a Conair metal-bristled paddle brush with plastic ball ends for a long time. Liked it a lot but those things are pretty hard to clean and after seven years it was getting pretty gross.

So I pitched it and bought a wide-toothed seamless comb, the Madora from George Micheal. I like it a lot, too, and right now it's my only detangling implement. I don't feel like it gets my hair as smooth as the old paddle brush did, but I feel confident that it is not damaging my hair.

I want a Denman someday, too. Used to have a Denman knockoff made be Goody, which I loved, (and lost in a hotel room long ago) but I haven't seen one for sale in ages.

mallorykay13
July 29th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Is the tangle teaser worth it?

NaClH2O
July 29th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I've been looking at getting a tangle teaser just because of all the good reviews it's gotten on here. Currently, all I have is a plastic, wide toothed comb (plastic=bad i know...haha) and a new BBB that I got a couple weeks ago. I love it so far.

bushy
July 29th, 2011, 12:34 PM
BBB doesn't seem to get through my hair. I wonder if they sell larger ones that really brush through thicker hair.

QMacrocarpa
July 29th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I use a Tangle Teezer and a plastic pick with long prongs.

Not everyone likes the Tangle Teezer. It makes a surprising amount of noise as you brush because of how the design has a big hollow space to act as a resonating chamber which amplifies the "bristle-noise". I got one to try out and liked it well enough that I went back and got another so I'd have a spare when one was being cleaned. The TT's my husband's preferred tool for grooming my hair when we're sitting around watching a movie (he used to use a comb, but since trying the TT he hasn't looked back).

The era when I used a BBB was when I had the splittiest ends of my life. It may not have been the fault of the BBB, but I don't expect to go back. I also get a lot of lint in my combs and brushes, and I like to clean them frequently (and with minimum hassle). I'm all about plastic combs etc. (such as the bottom half of a TT) that I can put in the dishwasher.

Madora
July 29th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Those balls at the ends of the bristles will rip your hair to shreds!

I've been using a pure boar bristle brush since 1960, and a Goody model since 1970 (3 brushes..each lasted 10 to 12 years).

The boar bristle brush (no nylon!) is the gentlest way of caring for your hair because it:

1) exercises the follicles
2) cleans the scalp of dirt/lint
3) distributes the natural sebum down the strands
4) imparts lovely shine and softness with use

Boar bristles:

come from the wild boar
available in black/blonde/brown/white
Thickness and thinness can vary widely
Stiffness can also vary wildly (although it dissipates with usage)

How you USE a bbb determines how your hair responds!

A bbb is NOT a detangler! Use a wide tooth comb for detangling!

Never use a bbb when your hair is wet! Hair is weakest when wet!

How to brush with a bbb:

1) Detangle with a wide tooth comb first by bending at the waist, with all the hair in front of you.

2) Take the wide tooth comb, and take a SMALL section of hair.
Starting at the ends, gently comb up a few inches, then the next few inches above that, and so on up the strands to the scalp.

3) Continue on this way until all the hair has been detangled

4) Then take your bbb and starting at the nape, slowly brush down the strands. Take your time! Go slowly!

SPECIAL NOTE: To cut down on static while brushing, after each swipe of the brush, follow down the just brushed strands with the palm of your other hand.

5) Number of strokes is a matter of personal preference. The thing to remember is to be consistent every day. Do the same number -- in the morning, when you get up (the most optimum time for brushing according to famed long hair maven, Dr. George Michael)

6) Once the brushing is done, part the hair from nape to forehead and divide in 2 sections.

7) Grasp the ends of the hair on the right with your right hand and the hair on the left with your left hand.

8) Stand erect

9) Take the hair in your right hand and gently put it over your right shoulder and let it fall down your back. Repeat with the left hand side hair.

10) Do NOT throw/toss/fling your hair over your shoulders! This only creates more tangles!

11) Style as desired!

The bbb should be kept squeaky clean and washed every other day.

I had long, very thick hair for many years and the boar bristle brush worked beautifully for me.

However, my hair did not like long, thick bristles! It preferred thinner, shorter bristles. Also, I like a stiff boar bristle brush.

If you're in the market for a bbb, be sure to feel the brush bristles for stiffness, and also pick it up and hold it in your hand. It should feel comfortable to hold! Also, it should lie FLAT on its back, and have at least 6 rows of bristles (measuring horizontally). Do not purchase a round bbb as they are meant for SHORT hair! Happy brushing!

long.hair.maybe
July 30th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Thanks Madora!

I do love the idea of a BBB. I'm not sure why. I was considering the "Porcupine Hair" one, which is actually nylon according to the description, because it is much cheaper than the BBB I want.

I just read this on Philip Kingsley's website, and it completely goes against what I thought: Choose a brush with a long, widely spaced plastic (not natural) bristle, as plastic bristles are smoother, blunter and kinder. Preferably the bristles should be ball-tipped.

Madora
July 30th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Thanks Madora!

I do love the idea of a BBB. I'm not sure why. I was considering the "Porcupine Hair" one, which is actually nylon according to the description, because it is much cheaper than the BBB I want.

I just read this on Philip Kingsley's website, and it completely goes against what I thought: Choose a brush with a long, widely spaced plastic (not natural) bristle, as plastic bristles are smoother, blunter and kinder. Preferably the bristles should be ball-tipped.

God, what a crock! If people could see actual nylon bristles under a microscope they'd think differently about putting anything as damaging as that on their hair!

A good boar bristle brush doesn't need to cost a mint! You can find them at Target, Walgreen's and Walmart for under $15.00.

It's best to actually feel the brush before you buy it so you can test for bristle stiffness, and also how it feels in your hand. I once blew 80 big ones on a top of the line Kent of London brush because I fell for the hype. It was a gorgeous brush..but useless on my very thick, long hair. My cheap Goody bbb came to the rescue and I've been using a Goody for decades.

Sewas
July 30th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I tried a BBB and it split and tangled my very coarse long hair even when I sectioned it for brushing and the bristles never penetrate close enough to my scalp to distribute the sebum. I gave the brush to my husband who loves it and it works for him. I have a Goody brush with long plastic bristles(and yes, little balls on the tips) that are very soft and flexible...I think it was labeled as an "Ouchless" brush. So far this is a good brush for me and I can also clean it often. I really wanted to use a BBB but it did not work on my thick coarse hair.

Miss Maisie
July 31st, 2011, 12:00 AM
I've been using Madora's method with with a cheap-o Conair BBB for the past few weeks, and my hair LOVES it. It's super shiny from root to tip, soft, and well behaved.

Heatherzilla
July 31st, 2011, 06:26 AM
I haven't owned a hairbrush in about 6 years! If I brush my hair it turns into a frizzy mess. I have a wide toothed comb that I use sometimes but I mostly just finger comb. It works for me and my hair is a lot nicer for it.

long.hair.maybe
August 1st, 2011, 06:20 AM
I used my new BBB for the first time today.

It definitely didn't feel as hard as it looks. In the first few brushes I also got that feeling that it wasn't reaching my scalp, and I definitely don't have thick hair. It felt quite nice though, and even better after the fifth or so brush.

The only thing was that I lost a handful of hairs, and when I comb, I usually lose nothing. I don't know whether those hairs were about to fall out anyway or whether the brushing was pulling them out, but I am going to keep using the BBB because I like it. We'll see whether it brings out hair every time or not.

gabee
August 1st, 2011, 07:48 AM
I use a tangle teezer for detangling, and a BBB for shine and polishing. I found a small travel size vidal sassoon BBB at the pharmacy on sale for $2.99, and its been working great! Makes my hair soft and shiny! The small size is perfect for my fine, shoulder length hair :)

I also really like my tangle teezer, it seems to detangle well without damage (if you work your way up from the bottom and are careful).

faerykitty13
August 1st, 2011, 09:44 AM
Never brush or comb your hair when it's wet. It's 80% more breakable, wait for it to air dry. And always comb/brush from doing the ends first and working your way up. I use a squishy handle conair brush, my mom always used a wide tooth comb and I noticed she had a lot more split ends then me.

pink.sara
August 1st, 2011, 10:03 AM
I use a denman brush. I usually comb to detangle when wet. Then brush maybe once a day with the nylon denman. All things the LHC tell me are wrong! But it's the only way to keep my hair knot free. I hate my BBB with a passion, all it does is comb the outside of my hair as it can't get through the thickness, and it makes my already large hair stupidly poofy and voluminous :(
Plus my individual hair strands are not very coarse and I feel like the BBB breaks them.
Brushing is maybe the major point where me and the LHC disagree!

spidermom
August 1st, 2011, 10:19 AM
I have a paddle brush with flexible plastic bristles.

swetiepeti
August 1st, 2011, 10:24 AM
I have a variety of BBB brushes hanging around the house, a couple of Goody nylon with ball end brushes that are still on my dresser but not in use. I'd like a Mason Pearson 100% BBB but I want the large stiff bristled one and so far I can't bring myself to spend the money on it. Have a feeling I may see it for Xmas.

seaj
October 22nd, 2011, 10:28 PM
I know it is bad, but I love to use my plastic-tipped paddle brush to detangle. It feels so nice against my scalp too! I've tried using a wide tooth comb to detangle, but it feels like it pulls on my hair way more than my brush does even when I go section by section starting from the bottom, and it takes me forever to get the job done.

Are there any safe brushes I can use to detangle my hair? I'm tempted to get a tangle teezer, but I'd prefer something with a handle. Braun makes a seamless paddle brush, but it is way too expensive for me. Any votes for wooden pin brushes?

Lostsoule77
October 22nd, 2011, 11:07 PM
Since finding this site I tend to only comb with a wide tooth comb or fingercomb. I do own a Conair metal bristle topped in rubber brush that I still use maybe once every two weeks or less. If you are a wavy or curly it's better to not brush because this just frizzes your hair like crazy. If you have straight hair I don't think there is anything wrong with brushing as long as you do it gently and properly.

Safira
October 23rd, 2011, 04:10 AM
I have a brush and sometimes I use it. Brushing feels great at scalp. But usually I use my wooden combs. I feel that my hair doesen´t need brushing, just scalp does.

els23
October 23rd, 2011, 08:55 PM
I find that now that I'm taking better care of my hair I don't need to brush it nearly as much as I used to. I have a BBB that I love for making my smoother, though I generally just use it on the hair close to my scalp to smooth it (since my curls/waves start lower). For detangling I use my fingers and a wooden comb.

mel88lem
October 23rd, 2011, 10:13 PM
I've been wanting a boar bristle brushfire a while. Thanks, Madora, for letting me know I can get them affordably at Target!

Madora
October 23rd, 2011, 10:22 PM
I've been wanting a boar bristle brushfire a while. Thanks, Madora, for letting me know I can get them affordably at Target!

I hope you find a good bbb, mel88lem. Be sure and test the stiffness of the bristles against your wrist to check how stiff (or not) the bristles are. Also, the better quality brushes have at least 5 or 6 rows of bristles. The stiffness of those bristles lessens with time, but if you take care of your brush, it should last at least 5 years or more.

Happy brushing!

cocoahair
October 23rd, 2011, 11:04 PM
Tangle Teezer,a yack horn comb(o how I love ebay) and BBB

melbournian
October 23rd, 2011, 11:14 PM
I just bought myself a paddle brush with plastic ball ended tips, it gets through my hair and is good for styling, I have a BBB but it doesn't really get through my hair as my hair must be too thick, but it's nice for making it shiny when I've got the time.

Avital88
October 24th, 2011, 04:37 AM
i use a wooden brush plus i have a nylon one which is for shine,if i use that thing my hair looks really smooth

nobeltonya
October 24th, 2011, 04:42 AM
AFTER detangling with my wide-tooth comb, I will sometimes brush with my dollar store, probably nylon-mixed, BBB. Wal-Mart has some softer-bristled ones, which I'm inclined to try.. but, it's not something I use regularly. I comb after washing and oiling. That's about it. I used to rip out my hair with those plastic-knobbed round styling brushes before I had long hair, and before I figured out they were HORRIBLE and the reason I had frizzy hair.. :)

KwaveT
October 24th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I use a wide tooth comb to catch the major tangles. I follow with a tangle teezer. After being thoroughly detangled, I finish with the Conair BBB that I bought at Target. Each step along the way I continue to collect sheds off brushes.

MrsGuther
October 24th, 2011, 04:59 PM

I've been using combs only for a long time now, but I've decided to buy a brush for those occasions when I just feel like giving my scalp/hair a bit of a brush.

Is Porcupine Hair good for brushes? I was thinking of getting this one (http://www.feelunique.com/p/Kent-Small-Porcupine-Hair-Brush)

I have a paddle brush that I gently brush through my hair with to detangle it. I don't think it's good for my hair, but finger combing is not working to detangle my hair (I get frustrated and end up snapping strands of hair when I try to finger comb detangle). Brushing my hair also does not make my curls look good. I look like a poodle that stuck it's paw in a light socket if I brush my curls out a bunch. :o

I have never heard of a porcupine hair brush but it sounds brutal!!!

<3OnHerSleeve
October 24th, 2011, 05:40 PM

I use an electric brush as well as combs.

I use the electric brush for massaging the scalp and it really gets the natural oils distributed all the way down to the ends of the hair. My hair is so much softer, shinier, and manageable since I bought my first electric brush and they are cheap on Ebay:eyebrows:.

irisheyes
October 24th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I use a pure boar bristle brush from the Fuller Brush Company. I had bought and discarded several before I discovered these. The bristles are long and firm, the only BBB that really gets through my hair. I was looking for a 1/2 round brush like I used to have as a teenager, and Fuller brush was the only place I could find one in my price range. I have a "new old stock" pre- 1970 brush from Ebay and a brand new one with a nice wood handle.

Inching Along
October 24th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Thank you for this thread! I have read it with a great deal of interest! I read somewhere recently (before coming to this great forum) that a BBB is helpful for scalp stimulation and cleaning and such. I have had lots of hair loss from autoimmune thyroid disease and post-adoption stress, but I am treating my hair the best I possibly can and looking for ways to get it to grow back. I already am seeing hair that is about 2.5 inches long, so I know I'm doing something right. I started doing scalp massages and scalp brushing a week or two ago, so I don't know whether it's been helping yet, but I have noticed that I don't have very many flakes on dark clothing now! Happy dance! Yes, I have curly hair, but after brushing, I can bring back the curl by spritzing it with water and scrunching it. So I will keep up the scalp brushing; I don't think it is breaking my hair. I've also looked into Grow Hair Fast by Riquette Hofstein, and the natural/herbal treatments really appeal to me, so when I officially get my book in the mail, I will set off on the next phase of my quest for more hair!

HumanBean
October 24th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I just bought a BBB on Saturday (Sephora). I intend to use it for oil distribution and smoothness. Seems to be working just fine so far!

Khiwanean
October 24th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I have a plastic-bristled brush without ball tips that I got for $1 at a grocery store. The bristles are bendable, so between that at the lack of balls on the tips of the bristles I feel confident it's not ripping up my hair. It's what I typically use for detangling along with my fingers.

freckles
October 25th, 2011, 03:48 AM
I have a tangle teezer. My pre-LHC brushes detangled my hair, but caused a lot of damage. When I joined LHC, I tried to switch to combs. I think they caused less damage, but I found them extremely hard to actually use to detangle, it took a lot longer, when they hit one of my awful finey-hair matts/tangles, they just stopped, and they hurt my scalp. When I found my tangle teezer, I was in love. Now I only use my tangle teezer and fingercom. :)