PDA

View Full Version : CV may have caused breakage :(

GabrielleRose
July 29th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Earlier at the store today I took a look at my boyfriend's luscious locks and noticed alot of splits! Don't get me wrong, I've seen a few splits here and there but never like this. He had splits so far up and he has very long hair. He takes pretty good care of it and he said that he's noticed the splits with the CV. Poor ba
by!
So sorry for the font color, please forgive me.

Bene
July 29th, 2011, 01:41 AM
What's CV? Chagrin Valley? Cider Vinegar? I'm lost

Also, the bright blue doesn't stand out so well against the forum background, almost impossible to read without highlighting the text.

pink.sara
July 29th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I tried to read your post, but it was too blue! Sorry!

PolarCathy
July 29th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Help! Serious eye damage on the iPad.

Carolyn
July 29th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I'd really like to read your post but I can't due to the light colored font you used. It would be very helpful if you would you consider using the standard font in black.

Kelikea
July 29th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Maybe he needs a different conditioner or detangling method? Try a trim or S & D ?

pepperminttea
July 29th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Ow, my eyes. :bigeyes:

*highlights* Ah, much better.

Assuming you mean CV shampoo bars - did he used to use 'cones? They may have hidden the splits more before. A lot of people notice reams of splits when they go 'cone-free; it normally doesn't mean the 'cone-free shampoo/conditioner you've switched to has caused it, it's often that the splits have been there all along merely with silicone camouflage.

sarahbrownie
July 29th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Also, is he using the bar directly on the scalp? Does he have rather long hair as well and piling it on top of his head? These things can cause damage. Maybe try lathering the bar in his hand and brushing in the lather with his fingers. There is nothing in the bars that would cause splits, it's just soap. :D

jojo
July 29th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Sorry but could you please not write in the light blue, im dyslexic and I am finding it impossible to read. sorry.

GabrielleRose
July 29th, 2011, 01:07 PM
What's CV? Chagrin Valley? Cider Vinegar? I'm lost

Also, the bright blue doesn't stand out so well against the forum background, almost impossible to read without highlighting the text.

Chagrin Valley.

I tried to read your post, but it was too blue! Sorry!

Don't be sorry, it was my fault for putting such a light font. I have changed the color so I hope all can read it better. :)

Help! Serious eye damage on the iPad.

I'm so sorry, I hope you can read it now that I changed the color.

I'd really like to read your post but I can't due to the light colored font you used. It would be very helpful if you would you consider using the standard font in black.

Has been changed, sorry once again.

Maybe he needs a different conditioner or detangling method? Try a trim or S & D ?

An S&D would work wonders on him, but I'll have to see if he'll let me do that. I think you are absolutely right about the need for a conditioner change, and I've seen the way he detangles and he is quite gentle, especially when I do it for him. :p

Ow, my eyes. :bigeyes:

*highlights* Ah, much better.

Assuming you mean CV shampoo bars - did he used to use 'cones? They may have hidden the splits more before. A lot of people notice reams of splits when they go 'cone-free; it normally doesn't mean the 'cone-free shampoo/conditioner you've switched to has caused it, it's often that the splits have been there all along merely with silicone camouflage.

Sorry about the color. :( I did mean CV shampoo bars, and previously he wasn't using much cones. He kept stealing my Aubrey products! :P I did notice splits before, but minor ones and never like this! So, he has decided to stop using them but I'm wondering what he should use on his hair especially since he doesn't care like I do. But I got him some shea moisture, the ones for curls so hopefully that wil be moisturising enough for him. :pray:

AnqeIicDemise
July 29th, 2011, 01:16 PM
An S&D would work wonders on him, but I'll have to see if he'll let me do that. I think you are absolutely right about the need for a conditioner change, and I've seen the way he detangles and he is quite gentle, especially when I do it for him. :p

Ah, mutual grooming. Such a wonderful bonding moment. ^-^

Now if only DH would let me do it more frequently. (He has become fond of the facials, though!)

Ps: I've mixed a bit of lavender water (8 oz) with a tiny, tiny squirt of sweet almond oil in it. I shake it vigoriously and spritz to detangle with. It gives just enough slip and it oils at the same time. I'd suggest to try this method to help avoid splits in the future.

In the mean time, snip those bad babies. Rawr!

GabrielleRose
July 29th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Also, is he using the bar directly on the scalp? Does he have rather long hair as well and piling it on top of his head? These things can cause damage. Maybe try lathering the bar in his hand and brushing in the lather with his fingers. There is nothing in the bars that would cause splits, it's just soap. :D

Actually, we were both using it on our scalps but my hair doesn't seem to be as split ridden as his and neither of us piled our hair on top of our heads. He has a lot of long hair and the lathering of the bar just didn't work alone in our hands, and I believe maybe the bar was just too drying for him.

Sorry but could you please not write in the light blue, im dyslexic and I am finding it impossible to read. sorry.

No, please don't be sorry it is my fault but I hope you will revisit as I have made font changes.

Ah, mutual grooming. Such a wonderful bonding moment. ^-^

Now if only DH would let me do it more frequently. (He has become fond of the facials, though!)

Ps: I've mixed a bit of lavender water (8 oz) with a tiny, tiny squirt of sweet almond oil in it. I shake it vigoriously and spritz to detangle with. It gives just enough slip and it oils at the same time. I'd suggest to try this method to help avoid splits in the future.

In the mean time, snip those bad babies. Rawr!

I hope this font isn't too bright... I rather love our hair bonding moments and my boyfriend loves facials too! :D May I use something other than lavender water? I'm not too fond of the smell as it reminds me of someone I really dislike... Can I get sweet almond oil at a place like Whole Foods?

I will have to snip them on pay day so I can purchase the scissors.

AnqeIicDemise
July 29th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I hope this font isn't too bright... I rather love our hair bonding moments and my boyfriend loves facials too! :D May I use something other than lavender water? I'm not too fond of the smell as it reminds me of someone I really dislike... Can I get sweet almond oil at a place like Whole Foods?

I will have to snip them on pay day so I can purchase the scissors.

I just use lavender EO as it is my scent. I fell in love with the smell in my early teens and it's stuck since then. The fact that it is hydrating and helps me sleep is just a plus. I'm sure you can use other smells.

I just mix a bit of filtered water with a few drops of my favorite Essential Oil, then add the sweet almond oil.

Mine sweet almond oil is the Aura Cacia brand you can pick up from Whole Foods and by 'squirt' I mean, quite literally, a squirt. The bottle has a bit of a plastic valve in bottom of the snap on cap, so although it looks like a regular cap, it is extremely portioned controlled. I find the squirt is perfect to mix with water to make the detangler but it is WAY too much if I'm going to use it alone to oil my ends. (You must shake it really well before spritzing as the oil floats on the water)

If you decide to use the oil itself for treatments (its really light as far as oils are concerned), you'd want to twist off the cap, put your hand on it and flip the bottle upside down. Turn it back right side up and scoop the excess into the bottle again. You just want the extra sheen on the palm of your hand. If it doesn't last much and gets quickly absorbed, you may need to repeat this process.

I have been using the coconut oil a lot less since I added the almond oil into my lavender water. I know reserve my tub of coconut oil for DEEP oilings once a month.

GabrielleRose
July 29th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I just use lavender EO as it is my scent. I fell in love with the smell in my early teens and it's stuck since then. The fact that it is hydrating and helps me sleep is just a plus. I'm sure you can use other smells.

I just mix a bit of filtered water with a few drops of my favorite Essential Oil, then add the sweet almond oil.

Mine sweet almond oil is the Aura Cacia brand you can pick up from Whole Foods and by 'squirt' I mean, quite literally, a squirt. The bottle has a bit of a plastic valve in bottom of the snap on cap, so although it looks like a regular cap, it is extremely portioned controlled. I find the squirt is perfect to mix with water to make the detangler but it is WAY too much if I'm going to use it alone to oil my ends. (You must shake it really well before spritzing as the oil floats on the water)

If you decide to use the oil itself for treatments (its really light as far as oils are concerned), you'd want to twist off the cap, put your hand on it and flip the bottle upside down. Turn it back right side up and scoop the excess into the bottle again. You just want the extra sheen on the palm of your hand. If it doesn't last much and gets quickly absorbed, you may need to repeat this process.

I have been using the coconut oil a lot less since I added the almond oil into my lavender water. I know reserve my tub of coconut oil for DEEP oilings once a month.

Thanks for you helpful information. :) I have tried coconut oiling and I always seem to be too heavy handed with it. :( And suggestions?

Anje
July 29th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Is he using any conditioner, or was he before? At least ACV rinsing?

He might be getting too much dryness. Or rough hair from soap buildup.

AnqeIicDemise
July 29th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks for you helpful information. :) I have tried coconut oiling and I always seem to be too heavy handed with it. :( And suggestions?

Don't melt it. :D And if it is already melted, pop it in the fridge.

A lot of people say you need to melt the tub and then use it that way. I find it a) time consuming and b) difficult to control.

I quite literally just run my finger across the solid oil. I either scrape half a pea size with the back of my nail or I rub my fingers across the surface until they have that semi-wet look to them. Then I just coat my hair with it. Some people like to apply it to wet hair others to dry hair. Personally, I like to spray a bit of water on dry hair and then oil. I can then tell how much is too much and have the benefits of having an open cuticle.

Excellent suggestion. I have never tried poo bars (heck, I don't even use much shampoo these days anyway) so I didn't think about buildup.

GabrielleRose
July 29th, 2011, 01:57 PM

No he was not using any conditioner or ACV. His hair does seem rather dry though. :(

Anje
July 29th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Definitely get some conditioner in his hair. Or at least have him rinse with dilute vinegar after using a shampoo bar. They tend to be a smidge on the alkaline side of things, and rinsing with acid ensures that (1) any soap scum that formed due to a reaction between divalent cations in your water and the soap get properly rinsed off, and (2) that the scales of the hair get smoothed closed.

Conditioner can validly replace vinegar rinses, because it's typically also a bit on the acidic side. It's also a nice move because it can leave hair more slippery (so less breakage during combing).

BlazingHeart
July 29th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Shampoo without conditioner? Ack! That's a recipe for broken strands for me, even if I detangle gently, and I've got just about the toughest hair I've ever come across.

Kathie
July 29th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Shampoo without conditioner? Ack! That's a recipe for broken strands for me, even if I detangle gently, and I've got just about the toughest hair I've ever come across.
CV bars, and many of the other poo-bars, are often used by people without conditioner because they are so gentle.

I have been using CV bars for over a year and have noticed a reduction in splits not an increase.

Was he using cones before switching to CV bars, because often splits become apparent after giving up cones? The cones can keep them sealed away.

I agree, that oiling the ends can help. I'm a fan of EVOO and sweet almond.

GabrielleRose
July 29th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Don't melt it. :D And if it is already melted, pop it in the fridge.

A lot of people say you need to melt the tub and then use it that way. I find it a) time consuming and b) difficult to control.

I quite literally just run my finger across the solid oil. I either scrape half a pea size with the back of my nail or I rub my fingers across the surface until they have that semi-wet look to them. Then I just coat my hair with it. Some people like to apply it to wet hair others to dry hair. Personally, I like to spray a bit of water on dry hair and then oil. I can then tell how much is too much and have the benefits of having an open cuticle.

That sure sounds way better than melting it all, and you're right it is time consuming. When I tried doing it solid a few times I didn't over do it and some nice waves popped out through out my hair. So, I will try your suggestions. You are so much help!

Definitely get some conditioner in his hair. Or at least have him rinse with dilute vinegar after using a shampoo bar. They tend to be a smidge on the alkaline side of things, and rinsing with acid ensures that (1) any soap scum that formed due to a reaction between divalent cations in your water and the soap get properly rinsed off, and (2) that the scales of the hair get smoothed closed.

Conditioner can validly replace vinegar rinses, because it's typically also a bit on the acidic side. It's also a nice move because it can leave hair more slippery (so less breakage during combing).

Well, he's going back to shampoo and conditioner but if he does go back to CV I will tell him to use the conditioner. He didn't want to use the ACV because he can not stand the smell.

The bars had felt so moisturising though, so we didn't feel the need to use conditioner after. I guess we were wrong...

Gulbahar
July 29th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Well, he's going back to shampoo and conditioner but if he does go back to CV I will tell him to use the conditioner. He didn't want to use the ACV because he can not stand the smell.
He could use lemon juice or citric acid instead. Anything acidic will work.

GabrielleRose
July 29th, 2011, 03:20 PM
CV bars, and many of the other poo-bars, are often used by people without conditioner because they are so gentle.

I have been using CV bars for over a year and have noticed a reduction in splits not an increase.

Was he using cones before switching to CV bars, because often splits become apparent after giving up cones? The cones can keep them sealed away.

I agree, that oiling the ends can help. I'm a fan of EVOO and sweet almond.

No, he wasn't using cones before he was using Aubrey Organics. I have also noticed a reduction in splits, but with the CV bars I'm having so much trial and error that I can't justify all the money I'm spending. I'm thinking of maybe using shampoo and conditioner once a week if I continue with CV but I'm undecided. I will tell him to oil his ends, and I will have to keep up with oiling mine as well.

AnqeIicDemise
July 29th, 2011, 03:40 PM

I can't stand the smell either. Try white vinegar instead with some of your favorite essential oil in it. ^.-

GabrielleRose
July 29th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I can't stand the smell either. Try white vinegar instead with some of your favorite essential oil in it. ^.-

We will have to try that. I hope you don't mind me asking, but what products do you use for your hair?

BlazingHeart
July 29th, 2011, 04:00 PM
The bars had felt so moisturising though, so we didn't feel the need to use conditioner after. I guess we were wrong...

It's enough for some people, but if you're seeing splits, moisture is the first thing I'd add.

GabrielleRose
July 29th, 2011, 04:05 PM
It's enough for some people, but if you're seeing splits, moisture is the first thing I'd add.

We are both in need of moisture.

AnqeIicDemise
July 29th, 2011, 04:07 PM
We will have to try that. I hope you don't mind me asking, but what products do you use for your hair?

Lavender water with sweet almond oil for detangling as mentioned earlier.

Coconut Oil for deep treatments once a month. Next scheduled application is this Sunday.

I CWC (condition, wash, condition) with Suave Natural's Tropical Coconut or Cherry Blossom condish and shampoo. I use one giant handful for the pre-condition, and a tiny little dab of shampoo to remove the excess (I'm talking dime size here). Second condition is only on the length. The washing is done as needed. Average is two times a week. Can be more depending on how often I work out or how hot it is.

And nothing else after that, actually.

I used Burt Bee's line of conditioner and shampoo for a while, but when I went to CWC I couldn't justify paying so much money for such small bottles. I just go through conditioner too darn fast.

GabrielleRose
July 29th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Lavender water with sweet almond oil for detangling as mentioned earlier.

Coconut Oil for deep treatments once a month. Next scheduled application is this Sunday.

I CWC (condition, wash, condition) with Suave Natural's Tropical Coconut or Cherry Blossom condish and shampoo. I use one giant handful for the pre-condition, and a tiny little dab of shampoo to remove the excess (I'm talking dime size here). Second condition is only on the length. The washing is done as needed. Average is two times a week. Can be more depending on how often I work out or how hot it is.

And nothing else after that, actually.

I used Burt Bee's line of conditioner and shampoo for a while, but when I went to CWC I couldn't justify paying so much money for such small bottles. I just go through conditioner too darn fast.

I'm actually thinking of trying the Suave almond and shea, any thoughts on those products?

Gulbahar
July 29th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Did you read my post? I suggest lemon juice or citric acid. They don't smell.

celebriangel
July 29th, 2011, 06:18 PM
It's really really important to use an acidic rinse after CV bars - they are alkaline and your hair won't like it *at all* unless you do the rinse! This is probably the reason for the splits.

If you don't like the smell of ACV - though to be honest my dilution is so great that it doesn't smell for me at all - use a lemon juice rinse, or a rinse where you dissolve citric acid crystals in water. THat shouldn't smell at all.

You need to dilute all of these VERY VERY WELL. The pH of such things - most commercial vinegars anyway - is about 3 and your acid mantle is between 5 and 6. Believe it or not, this is a huge difference because pH is a logarithmic scale, so dilution is essential!

But yes. Conditioner after the rinse.

TheCaityCat
July 29th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Also, when it comes to ACV rinses, your hair will not smell like vinegar once it's dry. The smell goes away after a little while!

GabrielleRose
July 29th, 2011, 09:08 PM
My goodness Gulbahar I guess I accidentally skipped your post. I'm sorry. I will try that if I decide I want to continue use with the bars.

Thank you so much Celebriangel for the info! I will try those if I go back to CV, but right now I'm on the hunt for some moisturizing products. :)

Also, when it comes to ACV rinses, your hair will not smell like vinegar once it's dry. The smell goes away after a little while!
Thanks TheCaityCat, I know it goes away but he doesn't listen!

Gulbahar
July 30th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Thanks TheCaityCat, I know it goes away but he doesn't listen![/color][/size][/font]
Men! They can be such babies. :D

TheCaityCat
July 30th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Mine is still resisting the switch to gentler soap that won't make him itch. Using nicer soap doesn't make a man less manly!

GabrielleRose
July 30th, 2011, 01:43 PM

Exactly! But they're our babies. ;)

Mine is still resisting the switch to gentler soap that won't make him itch. Using nicer soap doesn't make a man less manly!

Men are SO stubborn at times!

Gulbahar
July 30th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Exactly! But they're our babies. ;)
Shhh! We mustn't tell them!

spidermom
July 30th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Splits/damage are what I would expect. CV bars are soap, and soap is alkaline. Hair does better in a slightly acid environment. As far as I know, all liquid shampoo is pH balanced to hair/scalp preference.

Gulbahar
July 30th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Splits/damage are what I would expect. CV bars are soap, and soap is alkaline. Hair does better in a slightly acid environment. As far as I know, all liquid shampoo is pH balanced to hair/scalp preference.
They do work for many people though. There is no 'one fits all'. ;)

GabrielleRose
July 31st, 2011, 09:27 PM
Shhh! We mustn't tell them!

Ha ha, I agree with you or else they will turn very spoiled! :P