PDA

View Full Version : African Black Soap Shampoo

terryn
July 29th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Hello LHC. :) I am curious if any of you have tried african black soap shampoo, and what your thoughts on it are? My hair is currently dreaded, and I've been bs washing for about 3 years now. I'm worried about the bs drying out my hair since I can't condition it at this point. (I will condition when my locks are more mature and can handle it.)

I admit I'm a little nervous switching things up, but I'd still like to have healthy hair - even if it's in dreadlocks.

TIA!

Shell
July 29th, 2011, 10:13 AM
My son has coarse curly hair and he uses the Alaffia Shea and Virgin Coconut Shampoo (and the leave in of the suite), which has black soap, and he loves it. I've used it too, and my hair only likes it so-so. I have fine hair and it weighs it down a bit. I do use the shampoo on my skin as face cleaner though--it works great. African Black soap is supposed to be good for many things from dandruff, to dry skin, to acne, to wrinkles. We like it and recommend it. I definitely think baking soda is too harsh for locked hair. Get some oils or shea butter or at least conditioner on them!

DoubleCrowned
July 29th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I have some black African soap in chunks, not as a shampoo. The fellow who sold it to me said it was an excellent shampoo, but it left my hair almost gummy. A friend with short medium hair had the same experience.

terryn
July 29th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Gummy? That doesn't sound good. :/ the key to dread shampoo is making sure it's residue free, so nothing builds up in there. Thanks for your thoughts, guys.

robynlh87
July 29th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I first bought in to use as a face wash, in the hunk form. (Which I love!!) It really dried out my skin at first then it eventually adjusted, to I was worried about using it in my hair because my hair is dry to begin with. But eventually I just tried it, i soften the hunk with distilled water and I thought it worked pretty good, hair felt squeaky clean, no residue here! I CO wash and I use it every now and then to clear off build up!