PDA

View Full Version : I have discovered no damage hairties!!!

JellyBene
July 28th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I discovered these about six months ago, they are called telephone wire hair bands. I discovered them through my friend who is a foreign exchange student from Vietnam, they are very popular is Asia and I am only able to find them in Asian supermarkets or online (eBay). I know by TLHC standards hairties are frowned upon due to potential damage, but I can tell you from experience, these cause NONE! They don't even leave a kink in my 1A superfine hair! :cheese: They are not rubber so they just slide right out of your hair and don't catch at all. Does anyone else know these amazing hairties? If not they are VERY worth purchasing (also quite cheap)! here is some pictures I found of them:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MgfU0Egq-Cc/TOk12Y975rI/AAAAAAAADN4/aVaCsE1Wl88/s1600/f.jpg

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00GBSTgojMLvby/Phone-Strap-Hair-Band-PHB-001-.jpg

NaClH2O
July 29th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Weird! They look very interesting :) I'd love to see them used in an actual hairstyle, I'm very curious

Clarita
July 29th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Those look fun! I'm interested as well.

Valdeon
July 29th, 2011, 01:01 AM
oh yeah, I would love to have one. They look like fun! Thank you :)

JadeTigress
July 29th, 2011, 01:14 AM
I've seen those things attached to keychains so you can put it around your wrist, but I've never thought to use one in my hair. Sounds cool, I'll have to look into it. :)

bahoban
July 29th, 2011, 01:21 AM
oh yeah i've seen this ones on ebay all the time :D

Hotrox
July 29th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Ohh yes!! I live in China and these are super popular, they also leave no hair band ridges when you take your hair down :) And they are super cheap, well here they are anyway......

Sweetie
July 29th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I bought these hairties a few months ago, unfortunately they don't work for me, I used them once but they totally tore my hair .....so they all were tranformed in a kitty toy!

Dragon
July 29th, 2011, 01:56 AM
I've seen them before. They look nice but I have never used them as I'm worried about them getting caught in my hair.

Princess Kitti
July 29th, 2011, 01:59 AM
I love these ties to put up messy buns with - the coils seem to grip the bun better! And they are super cheap here too :)

Ligeia_13
July 29th, 2011, 04:45 AM
They look like they would rip my hair apart :/

Gabriel
July 29th, 2011, 05:22 AM
I found those at Target a few months ago in the little girl's hair stuff section. They're cute and can be hair safe but they need a bit of care putting them in and taking them out. I prefer the pantyhose type of hairtype better but these coil things can be a fun look.

I imagine they might be a bit of a nightmare if they got tangled for a curly though.

Alvrodul
July 29th, 2011, 05:32 AM
I saw some of these in a shop here in Oslo - I thought about maybe buying a couple, but I didn't - hmmm. Perhaps I should go back and see if they have some that aren't radioactive pink... :p

long.hair.maybe
July 29th, 2011, 06:04 AM
I just bought some!

I've seen them before and I always thought that they looked uncomfortable, but they're so cheap that I'm happy to try them. I wouldn't have been able to find them on ebay though, because I didn't know what they were called until now.

pepperminttea
July 29th, 2011, 06:04 AM
One look at these makes me think "Tangles! :bigeyes:" - but then I thought the same thing the first time I saw spin pins, and how wrong I was. Going to have a poke about on eBay for them; thanks! :)

GRU
July 29th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I imagine they might be a bit of a nightmare if they got tangled for a curly though.

One look at these makes me think "Tangles! :bigeyes:" - but then I thought the same thing the first time I saw spin pins, and how wrong I was. Going to have a poke about on eBay for them; thanks! :)

See, I'm a curly and Spin Pins didn't scare me at all b/c I could "see" the concept, like screwing a screw into a hunk of wood. And I can "see" the concept of these telephone cord hairties for a 1 or 2 hairtype -- all the little hills-n-valleys of the cord would provide extra areas of hold on straight hair. But the thought of putting one in my type-3 hair? shudder:

archel
July 29th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I just saw a pack of these at Walgreens for a buck. I should have picked them up!

SarahKayfa
July 29th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Hmm. I can't picture them in my fine hair. I just don't see how it would hold. Maybe for those with thicker ponytails?

layla<33
July 29th, 2011, 10:30 AM
lol all of my friends have these. they come on key chains and stuff so you can wearv it like a bracelet or hang it somewhere and keep up with your keys..

PineappleJello
July 29th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I saw them a lot when I travelled through China but I figured that my hair would get stuck in them. Now I kind of wish I had tried one out.

I wonder how well a key chain type of one would work for it.

Avital88
July 29th, 2011, 12:24 PM
oeh they look so cute, but it also looks very plastic ..and then i think, damage.. :) hmmm

JellyBene
July 29th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I haven't attained any damage from them. My mom has very curly hair and she loves them too! They don't snag at all or get tangled. When I first saw them I thought they would be horrible too but I love them now! And as for the keychain ones, I am not sure they would be quite the same because these are actually designed to be safe for hair. And they are very good for fine hair and they hold better than regular hairties suprisingly.

Slinks
July 29th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I bought these hairties a few months ago, unfortunately they don't work for me, I used them once but they totally tore my hair .....so they all were tranformed in a kitty toy!
I pictured this as soon as I saw them .. I don't use ties at all ..

I've seen them before. They look nice but I have never used them as I'm worried about them getting caught in my hair.
Me too

They look like they would rip my hair apart :/

I totally agree

I'm not a curly but I so envisioned this too ..

oeh they look so cute, but it also looks very plastic ..and then i think, damage.. hmmm

This too ..

:lol: I think I'd better stop now .. glad some of you like them tho ..

Anje
July 29th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I've seen those a lot, but haven't figured out where to get them. Clearly I've got to scout around a bit more.

winona
July 29th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I have never seen these before but I like new hair toys.

ibleedlipstick
July 29th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I can't help but go both ways with these... on the one side, if they work well it might be completely worth getting a pack. On the other, I have a terrible feeling that they would destroy my hair.

That said, I'm probably going to be picking up a pack at some point this week.

Sundial
July 29th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I've used these and you're right about them not leaving kinks in the hair! :D I don't like most of the colors they're sold in though so I'd rather stick to pantyhose elastics when I want to put my hair up in a ponytail. I don't mind using regular non-metal elastics too for higher ponytails because I don't do that often so I'm not worried about the damage caused

Copasetic
July 29th, 2011, 09:30 PM
They remind me of these key chains I used to collect in elementary school. I think they would work well, but they might look kind of obvious.

JellyBene
July 29th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I order them in black, grey and clear online. I also have a neon pink one but I am 17 :)

Chetanlaiho
July 30th, 2011, 11:43 AM
They look interesting xD Curious to try one out but I don't think I can find one here (and I don't think DBF would appreciate me to ask him to get me some while he's in China xD)

Raiscake
July 30th, 2011, 08:20 PM
My sister and I have a few of those. They hold really well. :D Never tried it on a bun though.

hypersensitive
July 30th, 2011, 10:00 PM
OH! I have a couple of these when I was in China last summer. I saw them everywhere! Everywhere! They are super super popular over there. I got some really cheap ones and I didn't look too closely but there is a rough plastic seam so you have to be careful when you take them out cuz they will pull at your hair. But they are a nice alternative to normal boring hairties. I prefer the pantyhose kinds though.

Avienda
July 30th, 2011, 10:21 PM
anyone have any pics of them in use? I'd like to see how they actually look in hair. A video putting one in and taking it out would be even better, but I know that's asking a lot!

smilinjenn71
April 22nd, 2012, 06:41 AM
I would like to see a picture too! And what are pantyhose ties? I'm growing out again, so no rush.;)

door72067
April 22nd, 2012, 08:42 AM
you can make scads of hair-friendly hair ties from an old pair of pantyhose or tights just by cutting across the legs to make *rings*

make them as thick or thin as you like

I even use the parts from the *panty* part as headbands

it's also a great way to keep hair ties literally everywhere you might need one because you get so many from just one pair

jacqueline101
April 22nd, 2012, 09:22 AM
Dollar general has them I think they're a dollar. I might get some.

Kkiitah
January 7th, 2014, 02:58 AM
So, it's been a while since this was posted, but I think I should leave my experience with these hair ties for future reference... They are amazing! I have 3b type hair and this is the only type of hair tie that's ever worked for me. It doesn't get tangled in your hair like a lot of you guys thought. It holds really well and making buns is really easy with them. The thing is that you have to keep in mind that they have a really good hold so you souldn't just pull them out, you need to take it off kind of the same way you put it in. I've used these for a few years and they're really popular in Brazil too!

Here a pic of it on hair

http://i43.tinypic.com/242a16u.jpg

MeowScat
January 7th, 2014, 04:27 AM
Thanks for resurrecting this thread. These look awesome.

I just found them on Amazon.com. Yaaaay!!

Agnes Hannah
January 7th, 2014, 06:09 AM
you can make scads of hair-friendly hair ties from an old pair of pantyhose or tights just by cutting across the legs to make *rings*

make them as thick or thin as you like

I even use the parts from the *panty* part as headbands

it's also a great way to keep hair ties literally everywhere you might need one because you get so many from just one pair
Wow , what a neat idea! I've got some old stockings upstairs doing nothing, now where are my scissors.......

Covet
January 7th, 2014, 07:27 AM
I loved the idea of these but my hair hates them. The ones I have don't have a smooth join and catch my hair when I use them. No go for me!

restless
January 8th, 2014, 01:19 AM
Ive seen these in several stores here where I currently live but I never thought about buying them as they actually LOOK like they´d snag and get stuck in my hair. However I came across this resurrected old thread yesterday and got curious since it got some positive response here so... today I went and bought a plain black one and I love it! It holds up my ponytail just fine and it doesnt pull or get stuck like I thought it would. I think Im gonna go and hunt for some more in different colours tomorrow :D

Wosie
January 8th, 2014, 02:44 AM
I've seen these in my local supermarket (and on my younger sister's wrist as she thought they were bracelets) and I thought they looked odd but interesting... All the ones I've seen have been really colourful, but that doesn't bother me as I happen to love colours. I think I'll buy a pair the next time I see them, as I've gotten curious now!

Tota
January 8th, 2014, 03:07 AM
My mom bought them on eBay for my sister but I never saw her wearing them ... They just lie around in the bathroom. Maybe I'll try them the next time I visit :)

Wisé
January 9th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Mh... I remember putting something like this in my hair when I was a kid, with the result of an enormous tangle my mother had to cut out. But of course I was a kid and only god knows what I might did with it beforehand creating the tangle. I will stay in Asia some point this year so if they are really cheap I might try them out. I can't avoid elastics completely, bc I occasionally need them to distribute the weight of hairstyles more evenly (I prefer breakage at the nape of my neck anytime before the thinning spot I noticed recently on my scalp)