PDA

View Full Version : Is wearing a ponytail every day bad for hair bad for hair more details?

l0nd0nbr1dg3
July 28th, 2011, 07:04 PM
okay so my hair is finaly able to be put in a ponytail
im quite happy about this and would like to continue to not cut my hair and let it grow as long as possible!
however, is it damaging to my hair to wear it everyday like this:
tightly gather all hair into upper part of head and securely put into a small ponytail. Bobby pin all around head short layers and bangs and the hair is packed pretty tight and i just like wearing it like this all day.
i am not damaging it am i?
i am careful, i use ouchless bands and bobby pans with the little rubber things on the ends.
will i be okay to wear my hair like this the majority of the time?

pepperminttea
July 28th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Used repetitively, it could be damaging, yes; any style can when worn excessively. Could you tie it in a different place each time, or change things up a bit with pigtails, or headbands? :)

SarahKayfa
July 28th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I got plenty of damage from that style while growing. Mostly concentrated around my hairline and the top/ face framing layers, mostly from the tightness. If you can hold on till you can have a looser, gentler, ponytail, then I think your hair will thank you. It really started being noticeable at shoulder length.The bobby pins I used at first were also prone to snagging.

Madora
July 28th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Ponytails, worn every day, can damage your hair over a period of time.

The hair is being drawn back and stress is being put on the delicate front hairs.

Also, if you place the ponytail in the same area week after week, the strands will weaken from the stress, and you will eventually experience hair breakage, or worse yet, hair thinning (alopecia).

For the sake of your hair, try half ups...with a hair friendly barrette or clip.

If you hair is long enough, try a french twist or Gibson tuck..anything to get away from those ponytails.