PDA

View Full Version : 100% Pure African Shea Butter

patienceneeded
July 28th, 2011, 03:46 PM
What do I do with it? It looks like butter on steriods. I bought a tub of it (it was cheap) but am a little baffled as to how I should be using it...

Any ideas? Recipies?

longcurlygirl<3
July 28th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I use it to seal my ends. As a lotion, moisturizer for face. But, I did not like how the butter was hard to apply to I used my mixer and grapeseed oil (you may use which ever oil you wish) and in a bowl with the shea butter put into was whipped for a good 4-5 minutes. It would be liquedity at first then pour it back in the original container and as it cools, it will be called whipped shea butter. It is fluffier and easier to apply.

EmiliaF
July 28th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I've been using it as a lotion for almost 3 months now and absolutely love it! I have not mixed it with anything, so I melt it in my hands before applying, but it works great. Unlike other comparably rich moisturizers, shea butter is not making me break out at all. :)

longcurlygirl<3
July 28th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I've been using it as a lotion for almost 3 months now and absolutely love it! I have not mixed it with anything, so I melt it in my hands before applying, but it works great. Unlike other comparably rich moisturizers, shea butter is not making me break out at all. :) Same! But I whip it because I love the fluffy texture:D

Arya
July 28th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Shea butter is anti-inflammatory as well. It's great for rashes, cuts bruises, breakouts, irritated skin of any kind. It also won't clog your pores, like coconut oil will. I use it straight as an after shower moisturizer, or melt it and add Essential Oils to make it smell better.

Dina L.
July 28th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Shea butter is my favorite "cream" that I use on my skin: face, hands, after a shower as a moisturizer. Sometimes I put a drop of EO in it, rarely I even mix it with some cold pressed oil.
It's great for breakouts, eczema, very dry skin etc. etc.

McFearless
July 28th, 2011, 04:58 PM
There is a recipe in this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586&highlight=Fox&#37;27s+Shea+Butter

archel
July 28th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I have found shea butter too heavy for my hair. I have shea oil which is the consistency of a very thick oil, with the same properties. It's easier to use on my skin. I use it on my legs after I shave and as a basic body lotion. I love it SO much. But no matter how light handed I am with my hair, it's just too heavy. Oh well! I'll stick to the ultra light argan and the Ojon (mostly palm oil) for my ends.

patienceneeded
July 28th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Awesome! McFearless, thanks for the link to the other Shea Butter thread. I'll be trying this out.

archel
July 28th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I would LOVE to find a way to make this work for my hair, but even just a little in an SMT was too heavy. But I have a 32 oz bottle of this so I wish I could use it for something besides body moisturizing!

McFearless
July 28th, 2011, 07:27 PM
You are welcome :)