PDA

View Full Version : The Seven Deadly Sins of Hair!

Intransigentia
July 28th, 2011, 03:33 PM
So a more serious thread about hair and sin got me thinking... how many have I committed related to my hair?

Sloth - is what got my hair long in the first place. Too lazy to get a haircut.
Pride - you betcha. I sure do enjoy mirrors these days!
Envy - to a certain extent. I prefer to call it inspiration when I look at other people's gorgeous pictures
Lust - nope. I like hair, but not like THAT.
Gluttony - my hair is certainly a glutton for oil at certain times of the year.
Greed - that would refer, I presume, to my growing hairtoy collection.
Wrath - LHC has saved me from a lot of this, now that I accept my hair as it is.

Amber_Maiden
July 28th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I'm probably more WRATH then anything else at this point :(

Rtzgrl
July 28th, 2011, 03:40 PM
The discovery that I can do updos with hair sticks has definitely kicked me into greed mode. I need more! I'm growing out my bangs, too, so I have suddenly started eyeing hairpins of all sorts. So Pretty!

pepperminttea
July 28th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Oh most definitely! ;)

Sloth - Braid hair. Two days later; detangle and rebraid hair. Repeat until wash day. :p
Pride - "Is it shiny today? Ooh, it is..."
Envy - LHC is full of beautiful heads of hair. How could you not be envious round here? :D
Lust - Long-haired guys. Period. :eyebrows:
Gluttony - "More hair, I need more!"
Greed - "More hairtoys, I need more!"
Wrath - Bad hair day. 'Nuff said.

Slinks
July 28th, 2011, 04:15 PM
:lol: this is just too funny ..

mallorykay13
July 28th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Oh most definitely! ;)

Sloth - Braid hair. Two days later; detangle and rebraid hair. Repeat until wash day. :p
Pride - "Is it shiny today? Ooh, it is..."
Envy - LHC is full of beautiful heads of hair. How could you not be envious round here? :D
Lust - Long-haired guys. Period. :eyebrows:
Gluttony - "More hair, I need more!"
Greed - "More hairtoys, I need more!"
Wrath - Bad hair day. 'Nuff said.

I love you. Thats it.

long gone
July 29th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I am new to the community, this is my first post, I could just not help myself. As I read the original thread about pride and envy, I wanted to chime in. I am 48, grey and waist length. I did none of these things on purpose. Getting older, going grey, and the hair growth all happened without my needing to get on board. My life super-nova'ed and while I tried to hang on, I noticed that this was the new state of things. I was domesticated in the same way that most women are. I was taught that if you were just prettier, sweeter, thinner, ...etc, you would have more value. You, in and of yourself could never be 'enough'. If your hair was straight-it should be curly. If curly-then it should be straight. If you were ethnic, then you should be more white. If you were white, then you could never be exotic enough to be beautiful. More than anything else, it was a pattern of thinking, one in which you had to hate yourself. Hate your hair, hate your body, hate who you were, no matter your look. I gave up on this thinking not because I had a Gandhi moment, but because I was exhausted. I did not have the energy to get through everything else and hold on to all of the self-directed animosity. No pride, no vanity, no greed, just exhaustion. Where it left me?
First, above and beyond anything to do with looks, it is empowering to not hate yourself. The greatest gift of my life. The payoff is so simple. My hair is my hair. I don't fight with it anymore, I don't think a dozen times an hour, 'what is my hair doing?' The length has miraculously calmed the frizz, and found the curl. Ditching the consumerism and the 'right' way of doing things, according to the fashion police, left me not using soaps, shampoos, and the myriad of other necessities that are really not necessary at all. My hair has never looked better. Never been this healthy, carefree and hate free. And I used to spend $400+ a month at the hair salon, and would leave still feeling awful about how it looked, when all it needed was 1/4 cup of olive oil every week. We can and should feel wonder at a sunset, a baby's laugh, the food that sustains us, and yet we wrap up in shame and pride when we care for and nurture ourselves in the same way we care for our families, our gardens, our friends and the world around us? Is our unworthiness so intrinsic that in order to be devout we must flay ourselves and go about in sack cloth and ashes? If so, hide your eyes. Mine are, for the first time, wide open. And everything is so much more beautiful for it.

pepperminttea
July 29th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I love you. Thats it.

:D :flowers:

QueenJoey
July 29th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Mine is pride. Way to much of it! What can I say? I'm appreciating it...

I'd need to ban all mirrors from my house.

Carolyn
July 29th, 2011, 01:15 PM
OK so I am assuming that the seven things listed are on some kind of sin list somewhere? I seriously don't know. I grew up going to a mainstream protestant church. I know I paid zero attention in Sunday school but I really don't recall anything about it.

I know I've committed all the sins listed so far and then some. I'm happy to commit any kind of sin especially if it's a long hair sin. Sinning is a hell of a lot of fun :gabigrin: And this thread is funnier that hell. I can't wait to see more replies.

battles
July 29th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Welcome, long gone! :D

long gone
July 29th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Thank you Battles, for the welcome. I did not mean to lose the humor, so lets drag it back. My hair has never cheated on its taxes, slept with any of my friends boyfriends or husbands, burned dinner, yelled at my children, been late to work or made me fat. Darwinism would explain my hair as being conscienceless, but if that were true, it would not have a mind of its own. And the one thing that I am sure of, is that my hair definitely has a mind of its own and refuses to deal on anyone else's terms but its own.

pink.sara
July 29th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Hahaha brilliant. This is much more my cup of sin than the original post ;)

Pride yup, its colourful, soft, always smells good and has lots of pretty toys adorning it.
Envy yes, I envy curls. Long luxurious spiral curls.
Lust oh my, men with long hair. Danny Cecati from Eyefear mainly.
Gluttony my hair regularly eats combs, sticks, tines on hairbrushes, elastics and pretty much anything else I try to restrain it with, perhaps this is also a sign of wrath?
Greed more colours, more length, softer, shinier, thicker NOW!
Sloth dry shampoo and a bun on day 3 of not washing. An inch of undyed grey roots on the black bit AND black roots on the White bit *sigh* :rolleyes:
Wrath my hair seems to be often annoyed with necklaces and my earrings whereupon it starts to wind itself around them like a python.

MidnightStar
July 29th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I love this!
Sloth - I get lazy and don't wash it for days, and tell myself it's okay because I can put it up tomorrow and then no one will know it's greasy. Sometimes I don't even brush it.
Envy - Oh yes, I envy people with thick hair. And those who have found the haircare routine that works for them.
Lust - Not so much this one. As has been said, I love my hair, but not like THAT.
Pride - Yep, I need to ban mirrors from anywhere near me. Also windows, and my phone when the screen is dark...
Greed - HAIRTOYS! HAIR PRODUCTS! MORE MORE MORE!
Gluttony - Hmm. Well, I've started eating a spoonful of peanut butter every day because all the fats and proteins are good for my hair...does that count? :D
Wrath - Sometimes I just want to RAKE my comb through my tangles and get them gone. Or flatiron my not-curly-not-straight hair to oblivion. But I don't.

Chetanlaiho
July 29th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Ooh, hair and the seven sins, two of my favourite things, I'm in ;)

Sloth - Only washing it once a week my entire life cause I'm too damn lazy, and at one point didn't get a haircut in four years because, well I guess I forgot ^^;
Pride - I do quite enjoy looking at my hair and photographing it these days (ussually not a big fan of mirrors). And when I have a good hairday I make everyone in the house see and touch my hair.
Envy - Thick hair envy, definitely, I try to be positive but the thinness of my ends makes me go wraaaaah and not in a good way.
Lust - Well for me it's not like that but wearing my hair down definitely gets me more attention from guys xD (including DBF, though his thick hair makes me feel downright depressed at times ^^;) but I have been paying more attention the hair type/health/texture in relation to attractiveness.
Gluttony - Hmm, this one not so much, maybe the vitamins I take/food that I eat for my hair? And conditioner, I think xD
Greed - 'Oooh I haven't tried this method yet, or this conditioner, oooh satin pillowcase!'
Wrath - Due to a not really thought through haircut, the longest part of my hair is really thin, which makes me what to do horrible things to it.

Edit: Oh yeah, definitely envy for those who have found their holy grail product or routine, my hair seems apathetic except for a deep hatred for cigarette smoke and chlorine. Also, wrath when my hair gets tangly, I have no patience whatsoever.

Melon Collie
July 29th, 2011, 04:08 PM
OK so I am assuming that the seven things listed are on some kind of sin list somewhere? I seriously don't know. I grew up going to a mainstream protestant church. I know I paid zero attention in Sunday school but I really don't recall anything about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins

IMO, I think every human is guilty of committing the complete list at some point in their life.

And Melon Collie is just a Victorian term for sloth. :lol:

TheCaityCat
July 29th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Sloth - What I've been doing with my hair since I decided to stop blowdrying/flatironing/spraying.
Pride - "Feel my hair today! I did an ACV rinse!"
Envy - I envy many people here. It serves as inspiration. Can't be that bad, right?
Lust - I lust for my own long hair. And for guys with 18th-century style queues.
Gluttony - My hair is a glutton for ACV and my scalp is a glutton for my BBB.
Greed - MORE HAIR GROW NOW!
Wrath - Dreaming about having long hair and then waking up, looking in the mirror, and thinking "Oh. Right."

Carolyn
July 29th, 2011, 05:43 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins

IMO, I think every human is guilty of committing the complete list at some point in their life.

And Melon Collie is just a Victorian term for sloth. :lol:Thank you! In reading over the list I see that I've committed almost all of them :gabigrin: except murder. Not that I haven't wanted to commit murder a few times. I wonder if that counts or if it's a different sin. I think I've committed at least a half dozen today :D I'm certainly a glutton when it comes to products and conditioner use! But I feel no guilt. None at all :p

Revontuletar
July 29th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Hahaha brilliant. This is much more my cup of sin than the original post ;)

Pride yup, its colourful, soft, always smells good and has lots of pretty toys adorning it.
Envy yes, I envy curls. Long luxurious spiral curls.
Lust oh my, men with long hair. Danny Cecati from Eyefear mainly.
Gluttony my hair regularly eats combs, sticks, tines on hairbrushes, elastics and pretty much anything else I try to restrain it with, perhaps this is also a sign of wrath?
Greed more colours, more length, softer, shinier, thicker NOW!
Sloth dry shampoo and a bun on day 3 of not washing. An inch of undyed grey roots on the black bit AND black roots on the White bit *sigh* :rolleyes:
Wrath my hair seems to be often annoyed with necklaces and my earrings whereupon it starts to wind itself around them like a python.

HAHAHA I met Danny Cecati at a gig. Top bloke. His hair was down to his ankles and he had JUST cut it! You could tell too, the ends were dead even! I went up to him and said "dude, sorry for being a douchebag, I know you get this all the time but your hair is AWESOME!! Can I touch it!?" He didn't seem perturbed by me at all, and said yes of course I could touch it. He had just been performing and you would have thought it would be a tangled mess, but NO. It was impossibly perfect. I told him that was unfair and asked him if I could keep it, since it was so much better than mine. That's envy for you! Despite the fact that I was creepy and weird, and kept following him around holding his hair behind him like a maidservant holding up a princess's gown, he talked to me and answered every annoying question I had, and told me he uses head and shoulders shampoo and pantene conditioner. Nothing else. That would be right...here's me who has to constantly look for different things to put in my hair 'cause it's so annoying and nothing works, and he uses freakin' PANTENE. He also told me he had been growing his hair for over 20 years! Anyway, we chatted for ages and I even got some photos :D

Dragon Faery
July 29th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Welcome, long gone! I'm new too. Glad you're finally getting on good terms with yourself and your hair. :)

...oooooh, peanut butter! I'll have to try that. =D

Guys. So unfair. My husband had hip-length, thick black hair in college. Shiny and gorgeous, with just the right amount of curl on the ends. The envy of all the girls, and all he ever used was Head & Shoulders. No conditioner, even!

ange1ito
July 29th, 2011, 11:28 PM
For me it had to be greed...my dining table, my bathroom, my dresser, my food cabinets, my under kitchen sink storage, my locker at work, my piegon hole at work, my endless handbags all adorned with hair products or accessories. I am a slave to my hair...lol.

Áine
July 29th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Sloth - I decided to quit washing my hair for two weeks, you know, to see what happens.
Pride - I whisper sweet nothings to my hair when we're alone.
Lust - My hair has served as a stand-in replacement for my scourge, and as a bath sponge for lovers.
Gluttony - my hair loves my kitchen concoctions more than my tummy does sometimes.

pink.sara
July 30th, 2011, 02:27 AM
HAHAHA I met Danny Cecati at a gig. Top bloke. His hair was down to his ankles and he had JUST cut it! You could tell too, the ends were dead even! I went up to him and said "dude, sorry for being a douchebag, I know you get this all the time but your hair is AWESOME!! Can I touch it!?" He didn't seem perturbed by me at all, and said yes of course I could touch it. He had just been performing and you would have thought it would be a tangled mess, but NO. It was impossibly perfect. I told him that was unfair and asked him if I could keep it, since it was so much better than mine. That's envy for you! Despite the fact that I was creepy and weird, and kept following him around holding his hair behind him like a maidservant holding up a princess's gown, he talked to me and answered every annoying question I had, and told me he uses head and shoulders shampoo and pantene conditioner. Nothing else. That would be right...here's me who has to constantly look for different things to put in my hair 'cause it's so annoying and nothing works, and he uses freakin' PANTENE. He also told me he had been growing his hair for over 20 years! Anyway, we chatted for ages and I even got some photos :D
Hahaha! "Can I keep it!"
I love that. I met him at a gig too, back when my hair was classic and soo much longer and thicker than everyone elses in the room... Then he took his braid out and I was stunned And very jealous!
And H&S and Pantene? grrrr, that's not fair!!!