PDA

View Full Version : Alternative method to curling iron straightener...

kitcatsmeow
July 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Would this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ulfh3YTfgU) method be any safer than curling/straightening? I was thinking if the heat setting was very low and using a bb brush instead of plastic it might be better than using a curling iron or straightener.

Or is it just as bad for the hair?

Cainwen
July 28th, 2011, 03:03 PM
My guess would be that it would still be damaging. Even on really low, I'll bet that the heat from the dryer is enough to cook the hair. This is the way they always do it at salons and its never done my hair any favors.

MicheleClaire
July 28th, 2011, 04:11 PM
It's better than a curling iron/straightener, which get way hotter than a blow dryer, but it's still direct heat.

They always do that technique on my hair at salons, one of the many reasons I've stopped going. I get splits even when the blow dryer is a good six inches away! Oh well.

AlexiaBlue
July 28th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Yikes, the video made me cringe! :p She had such pretty wavy hair to start with, all I kept thinking was, "why in the world would she want to straighten it!?"

Anyway - I echo the other's comments that this technique would still be damaging. My former hairdresser did the exact same thing, and it did no favors for my hair.

kitcatsmeow
July 29th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Ok I tried this yesterday with my blowdryer on cool. I waited until my hair was 75% dry and used a stiff bb round brush. Took FOREVER but turned out amazing and no heat or damage! YAY :)