PDA

View Full Version : Splits &%!!&^

ccmso12
July 28th, 2011, 12:58 PM
So started coining 2 months ago (going great) alternate WEN with VO5. 2-3 drops jajoba oil afterwards 'touseled' in. Have straightened 1 X in the last 6 months (of course not since coming here 2 months ago), used to blow dry bangs/face trim daily (now none).

My hair is fine/ thick. Did some s&D about 3 weeks ago and found some splits, but less then 15 on my ABL. . .today trying to S&D and they are everywhere?!?!?!?!? HORRIABLE???? (swear word), some are the ones that are not just at the end, but a good inch or 2 up.

WHERE DO SPLITS COME FROM???? WHAT IS GOING ON?????

I finger comb/wide comb only and my hair is never tangly and does not snarl, my fingers run easily through, its full of volume (too much in my opinion)

neko_kawaii
July 28th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I don't have any advice, but plenty of sympathy. So here is a sympathetic bump in the hopes that someone more knowledgable notices the thread and advises us!

I think my problem is dryness on the tips and I have been putting coconut oil on the last six inches everyday and trying not to look for splits until a week has passed.

Narya
July 28th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I hear you! Splits are the bane of my existence...

As you didn't find many last time you S&Ded, maybe the scissors you used weren't sharp enough? I know that happened to me, and the more splits I cut, the more would appear! It was like they were breeding or something, it really got on my nerves, and it didn't stop until I changed the scissors. Now I have lots of splits, but not that many and certainly they do not feel like they are multiplying exponentially.

I find that for myself everything causes split ends, specially if my ends are even just a bit dry: they tangle into tiny knots and even if I'm very very careful all those hairs involved turn into a split. Fine hair is prone to that, in my experience.

Hope you find a solution!

Carriegirl
July 28th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I would check your scissors. I definitely experienced this with not-sharp-enough scissors too. It totally seemed like they were multiplying! I didn't realize the scissors I was using were a bit dull until I used a better pair. It made a big difference using good ones. I still get splits (I agree that fine hair seems prone to getting them more easily), but not as bad as before. I think if I coconut oil the ends more diligently I won't get them as much.

neko_kawaii
July 28th, 2011, 02:39 PM
I expect I have rather cheap scissors: Conair hair scissors from Target. Can anyone recommend a trustworthy yet inexpensive brand?

podo
July 28th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Splits are caused by a great many things... the blow dryer and straightening are the two that come to mind first, based on your OP.

Check out the articles section. There's a REALLY good one on the anatomy of a split end, including cause & help.

dulce
July 29th, 2011, 09:46 AM
After throwing away my brush and elastics ,using a wide tooth comb only and , oiling my ends daily, and stopping blowfrying and switching to air drying,1 noticed 1 had much less splits.