PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Milk Bath?

patienceneeded
July 27th, 2011, 09:44 PM
So, I have some coconut milk that needs to be used. It is pure/vegan, in a can. I know some lovely people here use it on their hair, but I was wondering if there would be any problem with simply pouring it in the bathwater and soaking in it? It would be hydrating for the skin, I would think. Plus, I could let my hair soak in the bathwater rather than trying to keep it out. I am pondering this, but wanted to know if this was a good idea or perhaps sheer folly. Anyone?

abbatabba1137
July 27th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Personally, I've never tried this(I dont have a tub) but I know of it, and know people who have! It is just as great for your skin as it is for your hair.... although, with no experience myself, I dont know anything about how it mixes with water, or how it should be rinsed...

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Joribear
July 27th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I'm not sure about coconut milk, but I know I've used regular milk in my baths before when my skin was feeling parched!

If you don't like it, you could always shower afterwards! :)

Mairéad
July 27th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I use coconut milk to wash my face and I'm blemish-free 99% of the time, so I'd go ahead and give a thumbs up to bathing in. I sure as heck would if I had a bathtub. It's high in good fatty acids so it's great for the skin.

StormVixen
July 28th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Ive used it in the bath... well i poured the can over my head whilst sat in the bath... its lush... sooo soft skin and hair!

aaperez
July 28th, 2011, 05:48 AM
I'm so going to try this sounds great

kyandii
July 28th, 2011, 05:52 AM
I'm going to give this a go.

ArienEllariel
July 28th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Done it before. I love it!

Earth Angel
July 28th, 2011, 06:09 AM
I have a can of coconut milk in the cupboard too :) Was going to use it for a hair treatment, but I definately think I will have a bath in it as I also have dry skin and I used to use powdered milk years ago and it made my skin feel much softer :)

archel
July 28th, 2011, 09:08 AM
So, how do you use it for hair?

patienceneeded
July 28th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Okay then, sounds like my little idea was a good one! I'll be trying this this afternoon/evening after DD4 goes to her sleepover. I'll report back afterwards. :)

cherry blossom
July 28th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Just a naive question- would the coconut milk leave your hair oily ? Do you need to 'rinse' it out with extra care ?? Just asking because, my mom tried using the milk squeezed from naturally grown coconut (this happened when I was very small), and I remember she had a difficult time rinsing it out..

krissykins
July 28th, 2011, 10:24 AM
So, how do you use it for hair?

This thread in the archives may provide some answers: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4910

Just a naive question- would the coconut milk leave your hair oily ? Do you need to 'rinse' it out with extra care ?? Just asking because, my mom tried using the milk squeezed from naturally grown coconut (this happened when I was very small), and I remember she had a difficult time rinsing it out..

Yes, it normally leaves mine oily. I always have to use the CWC method to get it out. Here is Dianyla's method of washing with coconut milk: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=16585

patienceneeded
July 28th, 2011, 08:22 PM
So, I did the Coconut Milk in the bath thingy. I added a few drops of lavendar essential oil as well. If nothing else, my skin feels GREAT!

Hair - After soaking in the tub I did a CO wash. First I applied V05 Tea Therapy Vanilla Mint Clarifying Conditioner all over my scalp and length. Briefly massaged it and then let it sit while the tub drained. When the tub was almost empty I turned on the shower and wet my hair again and massaged the conditioner more thoroughly and rinsed really well. I then applied Whole Foods 365 brand lavendar conditioner to the length only and turned the temp down to cool/cold and rinsed my body then my hair. My hair was the easiest to comb through that is ever has been, I had literally NO tangles. Right now it is soaking wet, so I can't really tell any more about the condition it will be in but I will report back after it is dry.

Quahatundightu
July 29th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Interested in hearing the results! When I tried coconut milk soaks a la Dianyla it left my hair far too greasy. Either I needed to use less or it just doesn't suit my very fine hair!

patienceneeded
July 29th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Well, my hair dried curlier than ever, almost entirely in loose ringlets. Which was weird, as waves are more normal for me. My hair is super soft and completely tangle free, even after sleeping on it all night, unbraided (I was too tired after going to see Harry Potter 2 and forgot to do my usual braid). It does not look greasy at all, it actually looks really nice. Experiment was a success and I will be doing this much more often (I think this will be GREAT in the winter).