PDA

View Full Version : French braid!

mrs.bad85
July 27th, 2011, 08:18 PM
This is going to sound dumb but i am very happy right now

I just figured out how to french braid my hair!:cheese:

I know I know I am 26 and just now figured out how to do it and sound like a noob but I found a french braid instructional vid by lilith moon on youtube

My only experience before was when my mom would do it to me when i was young. She pulled so tight that I got a face lift :D

anyone else out there figured out how to do the simple things (braid french braid) much later than you should have?:eyebrows:

HuggyBear
July 27th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Congrats! It's not dumb at all. I am older than you and still haven't learned how to french braid. :( Thanks to Torrin Paige's Youtube tute...when I want a similar look, I just do a 'faux' French braid. I have just recently learned how to fishtail braid. I wished I had learned how to braid when my hair was shorter. Now that my hair is hip length trying to learn can be frustrating because my hair is just all over the place and I am all thumbs. :)

Madora
July 27th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Congrats! Always great when you master the French braid!

Oh, yes, it took a long time...and much, much later in life, to master the laced braid technique. Because of mobility issues I find it easier to braid with all my hair in front of me, so learning how to lace braid took a month...but all those practice sessions were worth it! I love lace braids!

christine1989
July 27th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Congrats! It's always a great feeling to master something new. I learned all the basic (English, Dutch, French, fishtail, crown....) braids when I was little by practicing on Barbies but am a noob in the sense that I'm yet to be able to do any on myself :(. Maybe when my hair is hip length.

Gumball
July 27th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Congrats! That's a wonderful accomplishment. I know plenty of people who can't french braid period, so you're one notch more skilled in that department. :D No more hair related face lifts in your future!

Lostsoule77
July 27th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Well I learned when my mom learned, and she was in her 40's, so I'd say you're doing pretty good. :) Congratulations on your new skill and make sure to put it to good use. :)

Keller1128
July 27th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I just learned how to french braid this past weekend and was soooooooo excited about it!! It's pretty late for me as well (I'm 23). Congratulations! I share your joy!

AceOfCurls
July 27th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Congratulations! I still haven't learned to french braid. XD

Raiscake
July 27th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Congrats! I can do braids just fine on other people, but my own head is another story. :( I still need a lot of practice, but that's why I presently avoid updos that involve braids.

Rebecca.1905
July 28th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Ah geez... I'm 38 and am still trying to master the french braid! I've taken to sleeping in one so I'm forced to practice every day, but it's still not even remotely right enough to wear out like that. I'm SO impressed with anyone who can do it, and especially those of you who've just learned!!

sarahbrownie
July 28th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Absolutely. My mother couldn't braid my hair and neither could I. Plus, I've had some pretty short hair most of my childhood. It was only around my senior year I could dutch braid and it was only this year where I could master the french. It takes practice and getting use to the hand movements like they're second-nature. I find when you have to think about it, pause, and readjust is when you get some weird braids.

Alaia
July 28th, 2011, 06:43 AM
My mother used to know how to french braid but now she's forgotten.

I figured it out only about 4 months ago (I'm one month exactly away from being 24)....

I figured Dutch braids out at the same time.

And I can't do a herringbone braid to save my life!

pink.sara
July 28th, 2011, 06:53 AM
I can French braid and Dutch braid my fringe... But that's it!

At 30 I'm still not able to French braid all my hair, it's too thick and even when I try to do 2 they look awful! As for herringbone and multistrands? Psh, maybe by 40?! ;)

dulce
July 28th, 2011, 07:32 AM
1 can do a regular braid only,am a braid klutz,so congrats!Wish my fingers could figure the french braid out,it's so lovely.

AlannaMaria
July 28th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Hey, I just figured out the french braid last week! Don't feel bad. : )

Buggheart
July 28th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Congratulations! Isn't YouTube the greatest? I have learned how to do tons of things (hair and non-hair related) from watching YouTube videos.

Sweetie
July 28th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Congrats!!! I learned out to French braid, Dutch braid, bun and everything else this year, and I'm 32!!! So you've been quite fast, from my point of view!!!!!

darklyndsea
July 28th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I'm in the "learned how to French braid recently" club too. Still haven't figured out how to do it without holding strands in my mouth, though.

evan1989
July 28th, 2011, 12:22 PM
id like to learn how to do a french braid on myself as i can only do it on other people :(

swetiepeti
July 28th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I used to be able to do two french braids, one down each side. Used to cross them over each other at the back of my head and run the ends up behind the opposite braid pinning them in place until I ran out of hair. Now, through lack of practice I can only do one straight down the back (have a pic in my album).

MissAlida
July 28th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I've learned to french braid my own hair this year, and I'm 20...I think it doesen't matter when you learn something new, what matters is that you do learn, regardless of age.:)

Kosmos
July 28th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Haha I am also 26 and recently learned how to french braid my own hair off the same video tutorial! I don't think it's lame at all! Go us!

jasper
July 28th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I only managed a French braid once so far. It was just this month! I used directions from a children's book. I wanted my mom to teach me when i was little because her hair was French braided in her childhood photos, but get this: she didn't know how to do it! Her mom did her hair and she never learned.

ddiana1979
July 28th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Congrats! Learning to French braid your own hair is difficult!

I've been able to do a French braid since late high school, but for the life of me, I can't get the Dutch braid down. My fingers get confused and it ends up being a hybrid Dutch/French, which looks weird.

spidermom
July 28th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I think I was 25 when I learned.

racrane
July 28th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Aw, that's great! I'm still learning. I get the idea but my fingers are clumsy. One day, though! I'm trying to learn now that my hair is APL because I know it will be harder when it's much longer.

Mrspuddinhead
July 28th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I don't find it dumb at all. I'm 29 and for the life of me I still cannot French braid. I can Dutch braid though. So I say.... CONGRATS!!!! :D Cross your fingers for me so that I to can French braid.

Lostsoule77
July 28th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Still haven't figured out how to do it without holding strands in my mouth, though.

Don't worry, I still haven't learned to do that yet either. Especially when I'm braiding someone else's hair (can we say ewwww.)

long&blonde
July 28th, 2011, 11:35 PM
56 and can't French Braid yet! Congrats!