PDA

View Full Version : Any cone fans?

maborosi
July 27th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I figure there are, silly question.

I just went back to cones. My hair does well with them- it keeps them nice and detangled, not to mention how shiny and soft my hair is since I started using them again. My main reason for switching back was because my all time favorite line of color-protecting products have got cones in them.

The only thing that sucks is the possibility of buildup with them. If I (remember to) clarify, though, and follow it up with a good oil or conditioner, I do fine.

~maborosi~

whitestiletto
July 27th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I love shampoo and cones :) (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74906)

vanillabones
July 27th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Loveeeeee cones over here, I get dry tangled velcro ends without them :) of course I still have bleach damage on the ends though.

Buggheart
July 27th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I'm a conehead too. I flip flop between cone and non-cone (coneless?) but always end up going back as I get too tangly and dull without them.

whitestiletto
July 27th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I find cones essential on my dyed hair too.. (OT: I wish I'd never dyed my hair :( My roots are so silky smooth and everything else is soft, but it's like crap compared to the roots)

ddiana1979
July 27th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Me. I usually use Pantene conditioner. I've tried going cone-free several times, and my hair gets cranky after about a week. :(

Copasetic
July 27th, 2011, 05:55 PM
You might be surprised to find quite a few cone fans around here! I know I'm one of them.

I have been wondering lately if we should start an official "cone heads" thread. I don't think there is one yet .

Raiscake
July 27th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I have an on-off relationship with cones. There are phases where I cone all day everyday, and then there I times I swear off of them. Whatever tickles my fancy. :D

mallorykay13
July 27th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Im a conehead. Makes my hair more manageable and therefor have less breakage.

luthein
July 27th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I like the cones. I like the slip they give to my hair most of all, and I haven't had issues with super-crazy-buildup that causes splits.

lacrymosa777
July 27th, 2011, 09:11 PM
like cones....but i actually don't care are long as it's a good conditioner

winona
July 27th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I really wanted the Curly Girl (CG) method to work for me but my hair really did not respond well to it. My hair loves a modified Curly Girl method with use of limited cones and non-sulfate shampoo. My favorite shampoo is Elucence Moisture Benefits and favorite leave in is Sally brand AKA GVP Paul Mitchell "the conditioner" leave in. This leave in leaves my hair soft for days:)

Blond On Blond
July 27th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I love and use coney products. I do have periods of going cone-free, but I always go back to cones. I also mix cone and no-cone stuff.

Jeni
July 27th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Yea a lot of us here love the cones to varying degrees.

I CWC daily with cones and also use a coney leave in. I don't notice any build up and I use a SLS free shampoo...I don't clarify.

ibleedlipstick
July 27th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I love cones! More importantly, so does my hair. I don't have the buildup issues or much breakage happening, so I'm not overly concerned!

Mesmerise
July 28th, 2011, 03:31 AM
I was looking at old pics of myself and wondering WHY WHY WHY my hair was so much silkier and smoother in them than it is now...

Then I realised it's probably cause I was using Pantene lol.

So yeah... I didn't think cones made all that much difference in my hair, but I'm fairly sure they do!

swetiepeti
July 28th, 2011, 04:31 AM
I'm using a cone free conditioner for my "wash" (I tried the Sauve Coconut suggested and like it) and a cone one (GFL&S) for my after washing conditioner. Been over three weeks now and no build up that I can notice. Since dimethicone is soluable in alcohol, most of the buildup apparantly is rinsed away with my beer rinse that I let sit for about five minutes after washing, then rinse and condition.

Beer has the acidic advantages of an ACV rinse, but does not turn my hair more brassy than it already is, and I find it has less smell than any vinegar rinse, even white vinegar (which I use if out of beer as no one drinks it in my family, we are wine drinkers).

didrash
July 28th, 2011, 05:04 AM
like cones....but i actually don't care are long as it's a good conditioner
Same here. If the conditioner works for me I don't even check if it's coney or not.

sarahbrownie
July 28th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Here! :rockerdud

I adore cones, it makes hair nice and slippy. If I don't use them I think my hair is more likely to get damaged, pull, or break because there is no slip. I guess I'm a little rough with it sometimes. lol.

Nothing wrong with them. I really don't think you have to worry about build-up if there is SLS or some other sulfates in your shampoo, that's what breaks up the silicones.

younghippie
July 28th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I am another cones fan. My hair doesn't behave without them. I don't have to use them every wash, just a good majority of the time. I went off cones and damn near chopped off my hair because I could never do anything with it! I find that I don't have to clarify while using cones as long as I am using shampoo. When I do CO in between, I do vinegar rinses sporadically.

allnight avenue
July 28th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I can't imagine stopping using cones (they're what makes my hair look good...) but I do have problems with breakage at the ends of my hair. Could this be from buildup? Should I be doing more vinegar rinses?

archel
July 28th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I have gone cone free for the last few months and my hair is sort of angry. I'm wondering if I should go back, but I just bought a huge bottle of Giovanni 50:50 so I'm on the cone free train for a few more months...

swetiepeti
July 28th, 2011, 09:15 AM
>I can't imagine stopping using cones (they're what makes my hair look good...) but I do have problems with breakage at the ends of my hair. Could this be from buildup? Should I be doing more vinegar rinses?>

vinegar won't take out Dimethicone, one of the most prevaling silicones, most shampoo will, as will a beer or vodka rinse. But most likely a bit of coconut oil in the bottom would help more. Coconut oil has been my favorite tip thus far. I used to use almond or EVOO but my hair really likes the coconut.

maborosi
July 28th, 2011, 11:25 AM
I can't imagine stopping using cones (they're what makes my hair look good...) but I do have problems with breakage at the ends of my hair. Could this be from buildup? Should I be doing more vinegar rinses?

You might also be having issues if your hair is protein-sensitive. I know my hair can't stand large amounts of protein, or else the ends get very dry and tend to break.

~maborosi~

Cowgirl16
July 28th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Another conehead here.:cheese: I love the slip and the shine; without them my hair is out of control. I have to say I've never clarified :shrug: I never felt the need.

luthein
July 28th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I noticed that there are many hair twins and hair cousins in this thread, especially in the 1c-2a M range. I wonder if there's any reasoning for that. :)

AuburnAlight
July 30th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I am a cone fan too. :D I love the slip and shine they give my hair. Of course clarifying is in order every now and then but it's not a problem to me.

Leucothea
July 30th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Guilty as charged :)

Corvus
July 30th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I love cones! It makes my hair feel soft and silky, makes detangling easy, and gives a shine that others envy! :D

alliekat
July 30th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Guilty.

For the past two weeks I've been been trying cone free CO, and it's been kind of frizzy looking, at least the first day, and not as smooth and shiny as I'm used to. Soft though. Today I was finally able to find a store that sells coconut oil so I'm adding that to my routine. I'm going to try CO only and coconut oil for a while and see how my hair handles it. Dropping the cones, going CO only, and buying coconut oil has been my first major change since joining LHC. :D

If it doesn't go back to having slip and shine though, I think I'm going to have to resort back to my tried and true cone products. I'm especially missing my Silk Drops from Mastercuts. Instant frizz-be-gone!

GourmetChica
July 31st, 2011, 12:50 AM
Yes! See this thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=73530/

In a nutshell, cones have helped me grow my hair several inches since the beginning of the summer. They protect it from friction and I wake up in the morning tangle free. I add them after a leave in conditioner, so moisture absorption is never a problem. Oils are not so different, they seal moisture in as well. Sadly, silicones get have a bad reputation in the internet haircare world, it's a bit similar to an old wives tale in my opinion.

Everyone has very different hair, so see what works for you :)

Jezerellica
July 31st, 2011, 02:05 AM
I use cones! I tried going without and seemed to have so many tangles, I was losing even more hair than my meds were causing!! AAAHHHH!!! So, I raise my hand as a conehead. At some point I'd like to be an all natural person. Even WO. Someday...I'm thinking it may be a fine hair thing, IDK.

Rosetta
July 31st, 2011, 02:32 AM
I have been wondering lately if we should start an official "cone heads" thread. I don't think there is one yet .
Maybe not an official one, but there has been several "cone head" threads (positive or mainly positive threads about cones) :)
Like e.g. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=73530, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74906, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=71128,
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=69862,
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=67983

But anyway, I'm among the "cone fans" here, too :) They just work for my hair much better than non-cone products, simple as that. Of course there was a lot of trial and error involved before I finally had to admit that ;)

wandlimb
July 31st, 2011, 07:57 AM
My hair doesn't feel properly washed if I use cone-free stuff and it tangles even more than normal. So I'm a conehead too. :)

RitaPG
July 31st, 2011, 08:01 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with cones, if you use sls shampoo occasionally, that's enough to avoid buildup.
I can't use cones all the time, makes my hait too stiff and blah, but I like cones too, they make my hair shiny and detangled, which means, I have less splits :D

chickpea
July 31st, 2011, 08:37 AM
I've gone back and forth on using cones, and finally accepted that my hair just doesn't do well without them. I look for conditioners with cones towards the middle or end of the ingredient list. If it's the 3rd or 4th ingredient, I know it's probably going to cause build-up.

According to this article (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/whats-the-scoop-on-silicones) shampoo with cocamidopropyl betaine can be used to remove amodimethicone. PEG-modified dimethicone and dimethicone copolyol can be removed with mild surfactants, including CO washing.

MidnightStar
July 31st, 2011, 10:06 AM
Me! I can't use them every day, as my hair is pretty fine and they make it almost too soft and slippery, but I love how they make my hair look and feel.
I've also noticed there are a lot of us "hair twins" in here - maybe because the cones help with the not-curly-not-straight issue? :)

Charybdis
August 1st, 2011, 05:18 AM
I think it *is* something to do with the wavy thing. My hair's not very curly; it tends to frizz and tangle, but without the possibility of cute little spiral curls. I've used cone conditioners regularly on waist-length hair in the past with no problems (I'm growing back out right now). Occasional oil treatment of the ends was also helpful, but the cone conditioners really do the best job keeping things somewhat smooth. My hair is medium texture and fairly thick (my hairdresser actively thins it with these pinking shear things when I have a short bob), so I'm more than happy to sacrifice a tiny amount of volume to lessen the frizz.