PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone really like baby fine hair?

Kristamommyx3
July 27th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I've had baby fine hair my whole life and always Pined for thick wavy manes I see on others. I spent my whole life so far having hair dressers look down at my hair as if I was a sad story while they declare my hair baby fine and "not thick like the girl with the hairstyle you wanted". I'm on a quest of self acceptance this year...so does anyone have anything positive about my hair type that I overlook? I'm sure I'm not alone. I thought of this while looking at my piddly little braid tassel with pity....someone must look over the proverbial fence and see it's good qualities. Right? :confused:

ingvild
July 27th, 2011, 01:38 PM
It's so soft! My friend has straight, fine hair and it's so amazingly soft and shiny. I love braiding it! :)

pocketsmall
July 27th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I have baby fine hair as well and like you've I've always been envious of anyone with thick hair. I'm starting to accept my fine hair now, I guess the major positive I appreciate is that I won't have to deal with a lot of weight once it gets longer.

SoulOfTheSea
July 27th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I've always been jealous of fine hair... it's always smooth, soft, and shiny and I have never seen fine hair be frizzy lol I would be proud if I had fine baby hair, as opposed to this thicker hair O_O which is a big pain mind you... x]

FluffSpider
July 27th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Mine is fine and sometimes frizzes, so no go.
fine hair, lets see: has more slip. is softer. Is touchable(that might be a curse in disguise, depending on the person), less weight. Also I've noticed that while fine hair has little mechanic resilience, it withstands chemical damage better than coarse hair. I'm an F, mum's an M. I tested some bleach for her strands(masking the whites, she has some bleach blonde bits). her base colour is darker than mine. I left my sample 2*20 minutes with 12% bleach( 40 vol, i think) and it barely lightened to...medium blonde? def. not platinum, nor white. 30 minutes on my mum, it was WHITE.

Kristamommyx3
July 27th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Lol, that sounds a lot like when women with big breasts say to me that I'm sooo lucky to be small chested, because big ones are such a bother. I think I'd probably still like to try it out! :p

I've always been jealous of fine hair... it's always smooth, soft, and shiny and I have never seen fine hair be frizzy lol I would be proud if I had fine baby hair, as opposed to this thicker hair O_O which is a big pain mind you... x]

BlazingHeart
July 27th, 2011, 01:55 PM
My fiance's hair is baby-fine and wavy/wurly. It's so very, very soft. I love his hair. Sadly, his family tends to bald relatively young, so he's losing a lot of the hair on the top of his head :(

BlazingHeart
July 27th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Also, you'll be able to do SO many styles at a shorter length than me - because my hair is so dratted thick, I still can't do any buns at waist!

ScarlettAdelle
July 27th, 2011, 01:57 PM
II have very fine hair, but tons of it. I can't wait until old age takes some of it from me.

SarahKayfa
July 27th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I have baby fine hair, and I love it. I'm a very tactile person, and the feel of my hair is very important to me...it's very, very, soft and smooth. It's very shiny.

DoubleCrowned
July 27th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I love my fine hair.
1. I can have long hair without having the weight. (A friend actually has to get adjustments to her neck because of her long hair.)
2. Because fine hair is so light weight, it does not pull the hair tight with the weight of an up-do. I can have an up-do and still have body around the face.
3. Fine hair has a prettier shine than any other hair type--almost as if it is glowing from within.
4. When I try to imagine myself in the long, strong, thick, heavy hair for which I once wished, I realize that I would not feel like myself in it. My personality fits my delicate hair.

Aqua Gal
July 27th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I think baby fine hair can be delicate and gorgeous. Case in point: Years ago there was a girl at my gym with super thin, baby fine tailbone length hair. She would coil it into an itty bitty petite little bun on top of her head. Probably 1 small bobby pin (max) to hold the bun. The first time I saw it down, I gasped. It was so pretty, floaty and delicate!

(OK, I panic about my own hair thinning, but I really think thin/baby fine can be gorgeous on others.)

SoulOfTheSea
July 27th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Lol, that sounds a lot like when women with big breasts say to me that I'm sooo lucky to be small chested, because big ones are such a bother. I think I'd probably still like to try it out! :p

lol now that one I cannot help you with! :ponder: But wouldn't that be amazing just to try out other hair types? I am seriously dying to try 1a/1b hair.... that would be a dream x]

Toadstool
July 27th, 2011, 02:22 PM
It falls like a beautiful waterfall.

Alaia
July 27th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I have extremely fine hairs, but lots of them, and I love how soft my hair can feel... like silk...

:D

torrilin
July 27th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I like my hair.

First, it is so fine that when it gets wet it is like velcro. The surface tension of water will make it stick to anything. So I never really got into the habit of doing anything to it when it is wet.

Also, like a lot of fine hair, it is very tangle prone. That part sucks. But because it is tangle prone I learned early on that it is much nicer to have my hair up, because then it tangles less.

It is very soft, silky and slippery when it is dry. It feels very nice.

It is very stubborn and will only ever do things if it is coaxed. Try to force it with heat or most styling products and it pitches a fit. This also kept me from getting into bad habits... after all you're not gonna fool around with a curling iron when it doesn't do anything :).

My hair has never looked like anyone else's but it is aaaaaaaaaaall mine. It's pretty easy to care for too.

MandyBeth
July 27th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I've got cat fine hair - literally, it's been measured - and a LOT of it.

It's annoying in that it splits and frizzes very easily. But even split, it's soft and it's silky and it's better behaved than a lot of people in my family.

I love my hair in every way BUT the color. And the color, I just have to live with, so I should learn to like it. Go gray hairs, go gray!

TrudieCat
July 27th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Mmmm, I love fine hair! I always wished I had it! It's so soft and lovely and fun to touch. :)

AlexiaBlue
July 27th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Kristamommyx3 (http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=38393) - Your hair is beautiful, and it looks very healthy, which is the most important part! I'm a finey too, and I don't think we need to be envious of other hair types. All can be beautiful if well cared for!

vanillabones
July 27th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I have grown to like it. I've never hated it but hairdresses would be surprised how babyfine and thin my hair was but it never bothered me since they weren't technically being rude I kind of felt like my hair was rare? :)

I love how soft it is. I love how easy to clean it is since there isn't a ton of it at any length. I love the shine. I love how my DBF loves to touch it and loves my hair which makes me like my hair that much better. I have grown to accept my virgin color and am growing it out for life. I love that it won't be heavy when it's superlong. I do not like that it is so very hard to curl (when I had fusion extensions I used to curl them, they were a 2a or 2b and medium texture, SO different than my hair it freaked me out, they held a curl so well!) But that's fine when my hair is long I will just always wear braid waves or sock bun curls or other types of damage-free curls!

I also love the delicate fragile look of baby fine hair. Long and delicate and flowing. I really like it :) I couldn't imagine having coarse hair, it would feel so weird to me. My hairs are like spider webs. I have faith my hair can be a 'ii' someday, I wouldn't want superthick long hair I'm afraid it would give me migraines. I do however wish I had wavy/curly hair, but with straight hair it will grow longer faster and I can make it wavy myself.

ZeppHead
July 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM
My Mother has seriously baby fine hair and I am the only one out of 4 girls to inherit that trait. I wish I hadn't. I do agree that it is soft and can be so shiny looking but its a hassle to do anything with it. Never holds any style, curl or anything! Its only good for being down. It slips out of buns, clips and anything else Ive tried. By the looks of my Moms hair it also seems to thin faster than other hair types.:(

kidari
July 27th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Long fine hair looks enchanting when it's down. It looks so soft and luminous and moves like a silky waterfall. It is low maintenence since it's easy to wash and detangle and dries fast. Doesn't take a lot of pins to put up and won't cause headaches from the weight. What more could you want?

mrs.bad85
July 27th, 2011, 05:26 PM
When I was younger before I finally decided that I like my hair the way it is I really wanted straight hair.

I was didn't like how I couldn't do anything with it
or how heavy it was
or how my hair type wouldn't do what everyone else's would
or how I have enough curl to be obnoxious but not enough to hold up to much

my hair either has to be really short or really long at least APL everything in between just looks awkward

so the moral of the story is the grass is always greener until you enjoy your own lawn

btw on the large breasts PINA shopping for clothing I have to go to the specialty swimwear store and most button ups don't fit correctly (btw only a D)

Mesmerise
July 27th, 2011, 05:34 PM
A lot of people seem to equate fine hair with thin hair, but they're not the same thing! A person can have fine hair and yet have iii in thickness, and it's still going to be heavy when it's long ;).

Well my hair used to be finer than it is now... and when I have gone to salons in the past the hairdressers will often comment how fine it is. However, I'm not convinced it's THAT fine anymore! I've never had it measured to find out (how does one measure one's actual hair fineness anyway???). Mine is also a frizzy mess :rolleyes:.

I like the look of fine, soft hair. I think it's pretty, especially when it's that soft, shiny non-frizzy hair that I had as a child (when I was a child I literally prayed to God to give me frizzy hair... WTH was I thinking???!!!!!).

Kristamommyx3
July 27th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I have really really enjoyed reading everyone's opinions! Many great points have been made and I am taking mental notes to replay to myself next time I'm having a day when I'm feeling sad about my hair. My goal is to be happy enough with my own hair, that when I see someone else with twice as much, I don't feel like mine is any less beautiful...just both worth appreciating. :)

Mommyof4
July 27th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I have thick, semi-coarse, wavy hair. If my hair is in a ponytail for any more than 5 minutes, I have a HUGE hump in my hair that has to be washed or flat-ironed out. My hair is not soft, but with oil and conditioners, it is usually described as "softer" lol. My hair is very picky and I can't just wash and go, no matter what.

My little girl's hair is feather-like. It is silky, thin, and fine fine fine. Everyone acts like it's so sad that her hair is so fine, but I LOVE the fact that I can wash it, comb it, and it looks like it's been oiled and flat-ironed. Her hair, as long as it is taken care of and trimmed 3 times a year is flawless. I wish I had her hair and I'm so glad she doesn't have mine!

It is good to accept your hair. Focus on your pro's and forget your cons! Congrats on your pretty hair!:cheese:

MandyBeth
July 27th, 2011, 06:14 PM
A lot of people seem to equate fine hair with thin hair, but they're not the same thing! A person can have fine hair and yet have iii in thickness, and it's still going to be heavy when it's long ;).

This 100%

If I hadn't fried my scalp with PPD damage and lost a good 1/3-1/2 my thickness, I'd never have grown my hair out past my jaw/chin in an undercut. Even that was HEAVY and hard to deal with.

I dropped to iii thickness with that. Before that, if I'd grown my hair all out, I would have easily had hair as thick as UltraBella's hair. It was INSANE. Even the undercut, a ponytail stub was only able to get 3 loops of an elastic around and that still popped elastics.

Now, I need to remeasure post spay shed, I lost a lot of hair again. But there is still a LOT of it. At the tension I usually try to wear a ponytail at, I still wrap my whole hand around it. For braids, it compacts into nothing, but loose, it's still a lot of hair.

Fine hair =/= thin hair. Despite what every shampoo and conditioner want us to think.

happybear
July 27th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I Have super fine hair, and it is pretty thin. I waver between loving it and hating it. I love the texture, hate the thinness.

My hair is also naturally curly, so I do get frizz, which is harder to tame with fine hair because you can't put anything in it or it will look dirty. My thicker haired friends smooth their tresses with a bit of oil, I can't do that or I look like an oil slick.

My hair holds a style almost too well, if I curl it, it is SUPER curly but in a weird ugly way, and if I put it up, I get a huge bump. When my hair as chin length, if I pulled it back and twisted it up for a few hours, It would hold that shape after I took the pins out! My hair defied gravity! Also, my hair is so lightweight that I frequently have to clean my hairs off the CEILING in my bathroom. My hair literally floats up on the shower steam and gets stuck to the ceiling!

Henna has helped to increase the thickness in diameter, I think some strands are about an M now, and I find that my hair isn't as "floaty" when i leave it down now, which is a good thing.

I have an old video of me and a friend walking on a windy day. We both had APL lenght hair, mine thin/fine/floaty, her's heavy thick asian hair. A gust of wind blew up and all of my hair went straight up vertically in the air for several seconds, hers just blew around a bit. We still laugh at my hair in that video.

tinywife
July 27th, 2011, 06:33 PM
From another LHC member, can't remember who:
"Fine hair is fairy hair, it is angel hair, delicate beauty and iron strength."

jojo
July 27th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I have baby fine hair too but mine is thickish and wavy. Your hair is beautiful just the way it is, we always want what we can't have eh?

Xandergrammy
July 27th, 2011, 06:41 PM

Kristamommy, your hair is so pretty! It looks like even though your strands are fine, you have a lot of them- a lot of hair. Your hair looks soft and silky and it lays so nice and is never frizzy. And it's shiny.

As a flat chested woman of 55, I now understand why the larger breasted women say we are lucky. Tiny ones sag waaaaay less than bigger ones. :gabigrin:

littlenvy
July 27th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I have THIN fine hair! And as you can see from my user name, there is always that little bit of envy in me for people with thicker hair. The only good thing I can say about it is that its very low maintenance. Wash and go. And I mean it. It dries almost on the spot.

My DH used to be a hair stylist and still trims/cuts my hair. He says he LOVES it because its so easy to cut and it lays exactly the say he wants.

rena
July 27th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I think baby fine hair is so lovely, its like having silk for hair!

islandboo
July 27th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I spent many years wishing for thick wavy hair but being here has really helped me learn to be happy with what I have. My hair is soft, sleek, and shiny. It lays on my shoulders like the lightest silk. It isn't heavy or hot. It is kind of stubborn, much like me - so I find it hard to begrudge it it's unwillingness to bend to my will! I call it WussyHair because it can't handle heavy hair toys, but the smaller sizes are cheaper! And since it is thin, my 'poo and conditioners last much longer than they would if my hair were thicker. Plus, washing product out of my hair is a breeze.

Every hair type has its pros and cons. As frustrating as thin, fine hair can be (and at times it drives me nuts!) it is easier to learn to embrace what you have than pine for what you don't.

DoubleCrowned
July 27th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Here's another one:
5. Fine hair does not make good wigs, so you have a comeback when people say you ought to donate your hair.

christine1989
July 27th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Fine hair is so soft and silky and all of my friends with fine hair are able to hold curls much better than my heavy coarse hair. Plus, fine haired people can get away with using less product- I always need to use a ton of my leave in so I run out REALLY fast.

Although fine hair gets more frizz, because the strands are so thin it is not as noticable. When my hair frizzes it looks like little black wires sticking out all over which is far more obvious and awkward looking.

Helix
July 27th, 2011, 11:44 PM
When you say fine hair are you talking about strand diameter? or density? My hair is thick if we're referring to how densely populated it is, (one of the reasons why I always handle my hair in sections).

However my individual strands are very fine in diameter. If you take a ballpoint pen and draw a line on paper; that line would be thicker than a strand of my hair.

I like that it is ubersoft, it dries quickly, and I probably won't know what it feels like to have a hair headache because my hair is so light it will take a lot of length before I feel it has some weight to it.

It has it's cons too, but it's always good to focus on the positive.

Bambi
July 28th, 2011, 05:04 AM
My dear mum also has baby fine hair:) For as long as I can recall she has always made remarks about it, how hard it is to style and it is too soft. I on the other hand love her hair, it is so soft and shiny, almost like an angels, I think yours is like that aswell.

aaperez
July 28th, 2011, 05:43 AM
My x-boyfriend has really soft fine hair and never really takes care of it but its so soft when he brushes it out

Earth Angel
July 28th, 2011, 06:05 AM
My hair is very fine too and tends to frizz a lot when it just freshly washed, even with conditioner and having it air dry :( I need to oil it once its dry to calm the 'fluffiness' buy too much and it looks oily

MissManda
July 28th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I have fine hair, too, and I love it. Fine hair has a supersoftness and shine that is unmatched. I even have days where I wish my texture was even finer because that means even more softness. :crush: I've met others with hair even finer than mine and I feel a little bit of softness greed because it feels like I'm touching glass feathers.

I love that my DF can't resist touching my hair and that he likes it best in its naturally straight form. :D My hair's softness is what keeps me from using normal styling products and heat regularly because even though they may make my hair look conventionally nice, I don't like it because my hair won't be touchable at all, plus it's healthier to avoid those things anyway, and fine hair needs all the gentleness it can get.

Even though my hair is fairly thick, I've been told that my hair shouldn't be long, either. I don't always understand why finely-textured hair has such a stigma and I think it is sad that its Elven beauty is not commonly recognized. :( Healthy hair, no matter the thickness or texture is beautiful at all lengths. I don't believe anyone should be made to feel bad about their natural hair type and I wish that my culture would be more accepting of natural hair, too. I am so glad there are places like the haircare boards that encourage me to accept what nature gave me.

Kristamommy, I think you have stunning hair. I always find myself thinking, Wow! whenever I see your avatar.

dragonchickx
July 28th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Well.. my hair changes it seems from fine (when I shed) to medium thickness after it grows back... Id say..
Fine thin hair has a way of moving in the wind unlike any other hair type. Its light and flows like nothing else, its like thin hair is in constant slow motion ^^ its very pretty especially if you have ends that are gradual... <3 ive learned to accept my ever changing hair hehehe.. well at least most days.

elbow chic
July 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I have lots of fine hair. The fineness does not bother me nearly so much as the lots-of-it-ness. I never wear it down because even at BSL it doesn't travel down so much as OUT. :laugh:

So I totally envy people whose soft, shiny hair streams down like a waterfall.

Much more elegant than tumbleweed-head.

AcornMystic
August 25th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I LOVE baby fine hair. I do admire the defined Grecian goddess curls that is usually seen with coarser haired women because they hold their curl better, but there's something very attractive about Irish setter hair. It's so refined. My hair is on the finer side, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I can't even imagine it any other way. There is just a sleekness there that wouldn't be there otherwise. I'm proud to have the hair that I do and I admire yours. ^.^

WinterButterfly
August 26th, 2011, 01:58 AM
I have fine hair, but lots of it. I get some headaches from the weight. And I can't do certain types of buns that people with shorter hair can do. But my hair is soft. Fine hair feels like feathers.

Ashenputtel
August 26th, 2011, 04:12 AM
OH fine hair. I also have a good tickness and lots of fine hair. You really got to be carefull of the wind with fine hair. Last winter I spent the whole day out in the wind and the snow. It was frozen and tangle like crazy. My whole hair was a big ball.

It is true that fine hair is soft. Even after years of dying it blonde and my hair was seriously lacking proteins (a commun problem with fine hair) my hair was still very soft.

The down side is that it is fragile and it needs to be trimmed in average every three months.
I have learn to love it and screw those hairdressers who thin we can grow it long. Yes we can.

hibiscus
August 26th, 2011, 04:19 AM

hibiscus
August 26th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Kristamommy, I think you have stunning hair. I always find myself thinking, Wow! whenever I see your avatar.

Me too. I love the colour too.

vamq
August 26th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Things I like(d) about having fine hair (mine is thicker than before, but it used to be babyfine, so I do know what you're dealing with ;)

-It's really soft.
-It dries quite fast after washing
-It has the ability to be super shiny! I noticed that my wavy, fine-ish hair is more shiny than my sisters, who has really smooth, coarse hair. I think that's worth some liking too! :)

celebriangel
August 26th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I love the softness of my fine hair.

I have a friend with waist length golden blond hair. He is a 1a/F/i, and when I say F, I mean his hair is as fine as a baby's. Single strands are invisible, and his hair sort of floats when he tosses it. It looks like spun silk, and is utterly beautiful.

There is a certain kind of beauty to long, thick hair, and another kind to long, fine, thin hair.

Revontuletar
August 26th, 2011, 07:16 AM
I have fine hair, and I don't like it and am always wishing it was thicker, but what I hate the most is having thin hair (being a i).I always keep getting paranoid that it is getting thinner, an it's so fine and thin that I really can't do much with it in the way of styles. It sucks :(

Lilli
August 26th, 2011, 07:21 AM
It's soft, sleek, shiny, manageable. It has gloss that is hard for coarser hair types to achieve. I would never want coarse hair!

Babyfine
August 26th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Well I've spent years trying to like my hair.
One thing I do like is that it dries fast, it's never heavy- and my hairdresser was amazed that I could fit all my below BSL hair in one tiny little clip. I came in for an appointment with my hair all up in the clip-she commented how pretty the clip was(It was a Fak-are) and said Wow that's kind of neat you can get all your hair in this at your length!
My hair does frizz, though, and unlike many of the responses I've read on this page it does hold a curl quite well, but I have a lot of natural wave so that's probably why.
I had a friend with very straight blond baby fine hair and her hair would fall like a waterfall-I thought it was so pretty!Mine doesn't do that,though, maybe because of the wave facter, it separates into strings when worn down after awhile.

LaFlor
August 26th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I love my fine hair. I get a lot of bounce and body around the crown because it's so light. My hairdresser always loves to see me because she says my hair is so easy to work with. Plus it feels and looks nice almost every day. I don't have that many bad hair days. Althouth I would love to have long thick curly hair for a day :)