PDA

View Full Version : Conditioner= shedding?

Kristamommyx3
July 27th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I've noticed that on the days I use conditioners, my hair sheds more in the shower . Any thoughts on this? I am sls sensitive as it makes my scalp go crazy, so I went sls free two years ago...could something be hiding in conditioners?

dragonchickx
July 27th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Id like to know also.. but I think mine is shedding a lot anyway right now so it is hard to know why....

pocketsmall
July 27th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I feel the opposite, I conditioned only today(after going WO for 2 days) and I literally only lost 3 strands of hair, pretty awesome compared to the handfuls I was losing for the past few months. I have baby fine hair.

Revontuletar
July 27th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Geez I hope not, I condition every day and I am shedding!

danacc
July 27th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I shed more in the shower when I use conditioner. I shed more once my hair has dried when I don't.

For me, I think the conditioner just makes the hair slippier, and so the shed hair has an easier time disengaging itself while still wet. Out it comes in the shower. If I don't use conditioner (rare for me!), it stays "stuck" until I comb it once it dries.

krissykins
July 27th, 2011, 04:53 PM
There are a lot of factors that you could consider for shedding, but I would start by examining your conditioner's ingredients. Could you post a list of ingredients so we can see what might be causing the shed? :flower:

kitten1986
July 27th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Oooh I notice this too, if I condition my scalp and roots I lose ALOT more hair when I am rinsing it out compared to if I just condition the ends...and that is with the last 5 bottles of conditioner I have used (all different)
So usually I condition from ears down and at the same time shampoo the roots then rinse out and I am done
Lately the combo of this and the horrible cold weather in Melbourne has given me a lot of flakies so I have gone back to conditioning the roots and scalp too :S and I have noticed way more shedding in the shower than usual but my hair doesnt seem much thinner so I am going to go with it until the flakies disappear!

on a completely unrelated note:
I also just switched to tresseme naturals with no sles/sls and no cones
I did my first wash with it last night and it smells great and my hair feels lovely this morning :D

Kristamommyx3
July 27th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I've been using mane and tail...so that could be the culprit....

There are a lot of factors that you could consider for shedding, but I would start by examining your conditioner's ingredients. Could you post a list of ingredients so we can see what might be causing the shed? :flower:

DoubleCrowned
July 27th, 2011, 09:12 PM
My fine hair breaks off in the shower if I use most conditioners. I can use Aubrey, though. Anything synthetic, and the drain has gobs of hair in it. I've switched to water only.

Copasetic
July 27th, 2011, 09:19 PM
What are you doing on the days when you are not conditioning? If you are just wetting your hair, then it makes total sense that you would shed more when you use conditioner. Conditioner provides slip that allow all those lose hairs to escape. It doesn't mean you are shedding more; it just means more of the shed hair are able to exit!

Anje
July 27th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I thought I noticed this with conditioners in the past. I've come to the realization that in my case, the sheds are just the shed hairs sliding out easily because they're all lubed up from the conditioner.

That's not to say condish doesn't trigger shedding ever. I know it does for some people, and some ingredients in particular cause it in some individuals. But for me, it's just an illusion. I still think I shed even less with WO washing, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.