PDA

View Full Version : My cat is going nuts!

Ruvie
July 27th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I just harvested some fresh catnip from the backyard to make some Catnip Tea, and my cat can smell it on my hands. He. is. going. NUTS.

I'm so glad he wasn't in the kitchen with me as I made it!

Anyway, today was a clarifying shampoo day, so my hair is ready for some Nip-treatment.

Ive never used this rinse before, so I will let you all know how it goes :cheese:

Aeltt
July 27th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Oh yes, mine do the same when i'm eating salmon. ^^
I've used catnip rinse once, but i'm too lazy to do it on a regular basis so i can't say if it worked for me.
Good luck, i hope it will help your hair ! :D

Mairéad
July 27th, 2011, 11:18 AM
My cat loves plants of any shape or form. It's a nightmare when we bring home groceries because she'll poke her nose in our bags to try and eat our produce. She's eaten more flower arrangements and bouquets than I can count. She'll knock over the trash to get things like corn husks. All house plants have to be put in a place that isn't reached by kitty. She's a bit tubby so she can't jump everywhere. That, and she does the most outrageous things when she's had catnip.

swetiepeti
July 27th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I'm imaging your cat "love, love, loving" your hair after you do the catnip tea rinse on it, lol.

embee
July 27th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I guess your cat is an indoor cat? Otherwise you'd not have any catnip in the garden, only a slick dry dirt spot where catnip used to grow! :D

patienceneeded
July 27th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I guess your cat is an indoor cat? Otherwise you'd not have any catnip in the garden, only a slick dry dirt spot where catnip used to grow! :D

Oh, does this sound like my Auntie's kitty! It's hysterical...

Ruvie
July 27th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Yep, Buddy is strictly indoor :)

Although, I read the directions wrong..I'm at the cool down part and I used one level TABLESPOON instead of teaspoon :rolleyes:

I'm guessing my hair will be feeling pretty funky after I use it..

fiddlefananb
July 27th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Cats are funny like that. The cat I have now loves catnip but the cat I had before didn't even care about it.

Carriegirl
July 27th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I'm imaging your cat "love, love, loving" your hair after you do the catnip tea rinse on it, lol.

I was thinking the same thing! Your cat may be extra cuddly tonight!

I've never tried a catnip rinse. I'll look forward to hearing how it works for you.

Kristamommyx3
July 27th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Aaaah.. Cat crack. Heehee. I do so love to watch a kitty do his business with some catnip! :D:p

Jeanna
July 27th, 2011, 01:43 PM
so, this might sound a bit nooby-ish... but what is a cat nip rinse? what does it do to your hair?

Kristamommyx3
July 27th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Just add 2/3 more water of the same temperature and use 1/3 of it. :)

Although, I read the directions wrong..I'm at the cool down part and I used one level TABLESPOON instead of teaspoon :rolleyes:

Unzadi
July 27th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I've never done a catnip rinse, and Skye kitty doesn't care about catnip, but this thread reminds me of the time, years ago, when a neighbor gave my dad some cuttings from their garden. Dad planted the cuttings, then couldn't figure out why all of a sudden, every cat in the neighborhood was trampling the garden to rip out one particular patch in the middle. I had a hunch and took some of the popular plant upstairs to our indoor kitty, and wheeee! Yep, catnip.

Ruvie
July 27th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Just add 2/3 more water of the same temperature and use 1/3 of it. :)

You have no idea how much I appreciate this! I was wondering how much to add in :cheese:

Slinks
July 27th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Well I don't have a cat or catnip nor did I have catnip when I did have a cat, so I googled "what does catnip do to a cat" lol .. oh my !! it gets them high !! it says that eating it sedates them, it's the sniffing that get them high .. so they roll in it to crush it to release the scent, they also eat it to release the scent too .. lol .. this is too funny !!

google youtube .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tklx3j7kgJY .. CUTE !! :-)

PrincessBob
July 27th, 2011, 04:38 PM

Like with most hair things, you can dilute it. ^.^

darklyndsea
July 27th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Well I don't have a cat or catnip nor did I have catnip when I did have a cat, so I googled "what does catnip do to a cat" lol .. oh my !! it gets them high !! it says that eating it sedates them, it's the sniffing that get them high .. so they roll in it to crush it to release the scent, they also eat it to release the scent too .. lol .. this is too funny !!

google youtube .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tklx3j7kgJY .. CUTE !! :-)
The best thing about catnip? Apparently it gets the big cats (like tigers!) high too...I saw a video a while back, it was hilarious.

ArienEllariel
July 27th, 2011, 04:48 PM
The best thing about catnip? Apparently it gets the big cats (like tigers!) high too...I saw a video a while back, it was hilarious.

Yes, yes they do. Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tklx3j7kgJY

archel
July 27th, 2011, 05:29 PM
You know, I'm having strength and breakage problems, but I have two cats who LOVE catnip and go bananas and so I'm nervous to try it. Especially since my little Bella Roo sleeps in the bed with me. I might get nommed on!

Mrspuddinhead
July 27th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I used to have a cat named Gizmo. Any way we used to keep cat nip in the fridge and everytime I opened the fridge he would try and crawl in. There was no way to keep fat boy out when he had his mind set.

Ruvie
July 28th, 2011, 04:10 PM
You know, I'm having strength and breakage problems, but I have two cats who LOVE catnip and go bananas and so I'm nervous to try it. Especially since my little Bella Roo sleeps in the bed with me. I might get nommed on!

After steeped in hot water, kitties have no interest in it. My cat has had 0 interest in my hair since last night.

islandboo
July 28th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I have to fight my cats off when preparing to make the tea, but once it's steeping they lose interest. Ruvie, you might have been okay with 1 Tbsp of catnip since yours was fresh. I think the general rule is that 1 Tbsp fresh herb is equivalent to 1 tsp dried herb.

Dragon Faery
July 28th, 2011, 10:08 PM
My cats get a lot of "leftovers" and they loved it when I was making homemade conditioners. I tried various concoctions of egg, oil, mayonnaise, and other edibles. Rather than wash the leavings out of the dishes, I would put it on the floor for them to lick clean for me first. They loved it, even when I added avocado. :)

irisheyes
July 28th, 2011, 10:43 PM
One of my cats, Ziggy, just loves my hair. He snuggles on my shoulder, purring and putting his face into it. He loves catnip, too, so I guess the combination would be awesome for him, but only if it was dry catnip, since he doesn't like my hair wet. He has done this since I got him when he was 8 weeks old. If I put catnip in my hair, I'm sure I'd end up looking like I was in a catfight by the time I got him off my head!

Ruvie
July 29th, 2011, 12:11 AM
I have to fight my cats off when preparing to make the tea, but once it's steeping they lose interest. Ruvie, you might have been okay with 1 Tbsp of catnip since yours was fresh. I think the general rule is that 1 Tbsp fresh herb is equivalent to 1 tsp dried herb.

Really? That's pretty interesting, I will look that up and get more info, thanks!!