PDA

View Full Version : Unique Waterfall Braid Tutorial - anybody tried this?

turquoisebud
July 27th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Hello! I just saw the tutorial - http://www.youtube.com/user/lilithedarkmoon#p/u/6/6rof-KoJwsw by Lilithedarkmoon on YouTube and thought it was so beautiful! Have any of you tried it? I think my hair is a little to short for it to work and I have layers too, but I would love to try this when my hair is longer. If you tried it, did you like it? :)

HereIGrowAgain
July 27th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I clicked your link, but it didn't go to a tutorial...

turquoisebud
July 27th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I clicked your link, but it didn't go to a tutorial...

Huh, I wonder why it's not working? I will see if I can fix it. :)

turquoisebud
July 27th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Huh, I wonder why it's not working? I will see if I can fix it. :)

It should be fixed now. :) It was working on my Ipad, but not the computer, but its fixed now.

HereIGrowAgain
July 27th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I hadn't seen that style before, but I think it's pretty!

SoulOfTheSea
July 27th, 2011, 12:16 PM
oh my goodness it's so pretty! But I don't think I could do that on myself D:

ravenreed
July 27th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I really need to work on the waterfall/fairytale braid. I love it so much! Great link, thanks.

Madora
July 27th, 2011, 12:26 PM
@Turquoisebud...

Thanks for the video! I'm going to try and take some screen captures of that tutorial, then put them in my Adobe PSE7 program and see if I can change the color.

I had a hard time seeing where she added the hair from underneath (my eyesight isn't what it used to be) and hopefully changing the color with my photo editing program might make the instructions easier to see. Thanks again. The effect of the waterfall braid is very intriguing and beautiful!

Artsy
July 27th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I've watched the video, and tried this right away. It was not that complicated to follow the instructions, but my layers keep escaping:( I'll have to try it in a year:((((

Madora,
from my understanding, she was releasing the strand from the braid, and immediately taking another strand behind the braid, and braiding that one instead.

October
July 27th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Cute braid. Of course, I can't do it right now. Maybe one day.

MissManda
July 27th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Oh yes, I've seen that video before, but I haven't gotten around to trying that hairstyle yet. It looks a bit intimidating, but I imagine like most other hairstyles, it isn't as complicated as it looks.

Thanks for sharing! :flower:

PrincessBob
July 27th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I can do the first bit, but once I reach the turnaround I fail.

archel
July 27th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I did a waterfall braid yesterday for the first time after watching it on Youtube - just yesterday! I meant to come post this photo:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/250304_10150327119215631_512320630_10155753_828033 _n.jpg

archel
July 27th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Ugh from this photo you can really see all the breakage flyaways...sigh!

archel
July 27th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I wonder if I'll be able to wrap it like her when my hair is waist length? WOW that is impressive!

Lostsoule77
July 27th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I tried the waterfall braid once (on someone else), but I think after seeing this video I might try to really get it down. That looked so lovely that I want to try it. :) Thanks for posting that link.

HereIGrowAgain
July 28th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Pretty, archel! Ha! You were looking at your fly-aways, and I was looking at how evenly all your sections are! ;)

jasper
July 28th, 2011, 11:23 AM
What does she do to her hair to make it so smooth and compliant? My hair grabs itself and resist the whole time I try to section it for complicated braiding.

swetiepeti
July 28th, 2011, 11:27 AM
nice job Archel. Dang good for a first try, I'd be on like try 20 and still not looking as even

Buggheart
July 28th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Wow, that's so beautiful. I don't have nearly enough hair for that but I'll definitely try it when mine gets longer. I'm still working on figuring out the waterfall braid.

evan1989
July 28th, 2011, 11:47 AM
check out youtube for torrin paige and cutegirlshairstyles, they have videos for waterfall braid and many other beautiful hair styles :)

trilobite
July 28th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Really nice but boy, it's fancy!

Bast
July 28th, 2011, 12:00 PM
What does she do to her hair to make it so smooth and compliant? My hair grabs itself and resist the whole time I try to section it for complicated braiding.

She did say that she had put in some extensions, so not quite sure how much of that is her real hair and how much is extension.

That is an awesome braid, very pretty.

archel
July 28th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks everyone! See, nobody is noticing the breakage but me. Thanks for pointing out the good while I'm focusing on the bad. That's why I love you guys! <3

When my hair is at my waist I am so going to try it like the video. I have never seen anything like that before!

swetiepeti
July 28th, 2011, 12:23 PM
most of it is extensions if you look at her other videos. She uses high quiality real hair extensions and has a vdeo of her putting them in.

turquoisebud
July 28th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I did a waterfall braid yesterday for the first time after watching it on Youtube - just yesterday! I meant to come post this photo:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/250304_10150327119215631_512320630_10155753_828033 _n.jpg

This looks great, Archel! :) Especially for a first time!

neko_kawaii
July 28th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Wow, that was just amazing! It doesn't seem possible that a person could do that to their own hair and then you watch her do it.

So, I had to go and try it myself. The actual technique of adding a strand at the top and dropping the bottom one to add a new strand was easy to pick up, but the part I had serious trouble with was resuming the pattern after wrapping a length of braid around the back. Anyway, here is my pathetic rats nest:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8248&pictureid=108983
(Feel free to point and laugh, I did.)

I immediately took out the disaster and attempted a more basic waterfall braid. I must say, I love the look! Makes me think of sunlight in a dark forest and unicorns. Definitely unicorns. I flew threw the left side but then had trouble making my hands to the opposite maneuvers on the right side. Not too shabby:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8248&pictureid=108984

Ruvie
July 29th, 2011, 12:13 AM
I really have to say, her accent is stunning.

Yozhik
July 29th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Awesome tutorial and updo!

It reminds me of a variation on the carousel braid, which I tried a while ago. Here's Torrin's video tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0UkFYLP_hs) on it. :)
When I get a chance I'll definitely try this one out, although it looks a lot more complicated . . .

For those interested, I have a photo of my attempt at the carousel braid in my updos album. :)

Sweetie
July 29th, 2011, 01:33 AM
I tried it (as I tried almost every tutorial on Lilith channel), but I guess it shows better on blond hair (just like every updo, in my opinion).....

Buggheart
July 29th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Neko - yours looks good too! I agree that it makes me think of dark woods with fairies and such. I totally thought that before I read your comment. It's pretty! Good job.

Laurenji
July 29th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Wow, this is super cool! I think I could get the basic motions down, but I think I would utterly fail when it comes to wrapping the braid around. I always get very braiding-confused when I have to do things like switch from right-side-up to upside down (like with a crown braid) and even sometimes with switching from back to over the shoulder. So I can totally see getting very confused when I try to wrap that around...

turquoisebud
August 2nd, 2011, 01:08 PM
Awesome tutorial and updo!

It reminds me of a variation on the carousel braid, which I tried a while ago. Here's Torrin's video tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0UkFYLP_hs) on it. :)
When I get a chance I'll definitely try this one out, although it looks a lot more complicated . . .

For those interested, I have a photo of my attempt at the carousel braid in my updos album. :)

Yes, it is very similar to Torrin's carousel braid! I love that one. Well, I love it on her, and I hope one day to love it on me when my hair is longer. :) I think the carousel braid is a little bit tighter and maybe not so delicate and fragile.