PDA

View Full Version : Camping Weekend

ItalianFlower
June 26th, 2008, 01:32 AM
My brother called me and asked, "What are you doing for the fourth of July weekend?"

"I don't know," I said, "what did you have in mind?"

"Well, the girls miss you, and Kat wants a trip to the lakes...do you want to come?"

I, of course, enthusiastically agreed.

And now I'm wondering what kind of "hair situations" I might find myself in. I'll be without a shower for the weekend; what things should I look out for/bring with me/precautions/etc.

Thanks, loves! ^_^

aisling
June 26th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I think a good idea is to keep your hair secured, for these kind of occasions I like a braid or double braids and to keep my head covered, especially if it's very sunny. I'd grab a comb, a bunch of different elastics (they break, get lost and it's fun to be able to change), some kind of head covering and my beloved coconut oil that I can oil my ends with if they start to feel dry, after swimming and so on.

Have fun!

Curlsgirl
June 26th, 2008, 01:40 AM
My hubby is insisting we go camping that weekend too! He bought a new tent and everything. I haven't been in AGES and that was a bad experience! Now I am no high maintenance person by any means but well he snores really bad and okay I'm scared of bears :o

I don't plan on going swimming in the lake because there is only a stream nearby so that really makes a difference. There is even a swimming pool so as you can see we are experimenting before we tackle the REAL thing :D

What I do when I am out like that all day is I just condition, oil and do a simple snug braid, preferably French. If you swim in the lake and have absolutely no shower, then you don't have much choice but just leave it until you can shower but I have heard people say lake water isn't nearly as bad as chlorine. If you HAVE water, rinse your hair before and after. After I swim I usually rinse VERY well and CO only, no poo. You could wear a cap but not sure if you would want to do that. Also out in the sun I alway wear some kind of head protection like a scarf, bandana or hat. HTH! Have fun! Let me know how it goes and I will let you know too! :pray:

Riot Crrl
June 26th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Will there be swimming?

My instinct would probably be: oiled braid(s). But if there is swimming, take time afterwards to detangle, re-oil if necessary, and rebraid.

If you are going to be in the sun a whole lot, a protective covering like hat or scarf might be best. But if you are going to hang out in the shade most of the time, it may not be necessary. If you are in the sun a lot and don't wear a head covering, sunscreen for skin doesn't really protect your hair much but it can really help protect your scalp if your hair is parted.

Washing it should not be an issue for this time frame. Even when I was a dedicated shampoo user I could go for a long weekend without worrying about that, IF my hair was braided or similar the whole time.

Fencai
June 26th, 2008, 07:09 AM
when camping (we go every weekend that we possibly can)

I am sure to bring a head wrap. It keeps my hair out of the way, keeps it from tangling, and looks cute too! (I love the big bun it forms in the back from all the beautiful fabric.)
It has to be my favorite accessory

Anje
June 26th, 2008, 10:57 AM
We're going camping that weekend and the following week, too.

My biggest recommendations are (1) keep hair secure when you're outside so it doesn't get totally windblown and tangled, and (2) consider seriously oiling it while you're out. If your hair is up or braided, it won't be that noticeable that it's totally loaded with oil, and it can keep it from drying out in the heat and wind. If you do wear it loose, oil makes a huge difference (for me, anyway).

You might also want to cover your hair and head, to prevent sun damage and scalp burns.
I'm one of those people who believes (non-scummy) lake water isn't bad for hair, but you'll probably want to wash out pool or salt water, if you end up in either.

Chromis
June 26th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I'd just keep it braided and use a bandanna or the like to keep any wispies out of my way. Protip if you are in bear country: avoid heavily scented body products and shampoos!

ladystar
June 26th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Hey! I go camping all the time, but the camp grounds have a shower and bathrooms. So, I can shower wash my hair if it gets wet at the beach. I usually wash it the night before I leave. I bring a clip and something to pick it up in a ponytail just in case, as well as my coconut oil. =) If I end up at the beach I pick it up and cover it with a baseball cap or a bandana cause it gets HOT! The sun is beaming here in FL. My hair hasn’t bothered me once while camping, hey we even bring an air conditioner lol. We are also going the 4th of July. It’s great for some hair pictures in nature.

girlcat36
June 26th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I love camping!
Braids, bandanas, and hats. Forget about looking good!

soprano
June 26th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Will you be tent camping, or staying in an RV or something similar?

If you are in a tent, it's a good idea to remember to brush and braid your hair *before* you turn in for the night. Otherwise you'll be finding long shed hairs everywhere in the tent for the rest of the trip... and the next trip... and the trip after that... ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

If you go swimming but don't have a shower available, grab a spray bottle of leave-in conditioner or detangler and a wide-tooth comb to use after swimming, and make sure to get every single tangle out ASAP. You don't want mats... another lesson learned the hard way.

Indigo Girl
June 26th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Sounds like fun. :)

Avid tent camper here...My routine is a braid, a baseball cap, and fuggedaboutit (leave it alone).

Bring some oil along just in case, but you may not even need to use it.

Have fun!