PDA

View Full Version : Hair product help?

longcurlygirl<3
July 27th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I was wondering is it bad to use a lot of hair products? Do you think it weakens the hair strands? Because I only use a leave-in [kinky-curly] and mt homemade flaxseed gel since I started growing my hair because I felt it would make my hair weak and split more?? But I do not know if that would happen? Because my hair could be more define but I use less hair products so I do not know. Plus, I want to use more organic stuff..any recommended products like leave-in,gels, mousse?:confused:

Cainwen
July 27th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I don't know that it's necessarily bad to use a lot of products. The problem is more whats in the products and how they interact. It seems like a lot of people around here practice a 'less is more' type philosophy. Something like 95% of recommendations I've seen around here can be found in a well stocked kitchen pantry.

longcurlygirl<3
July 27th, 2011, 09:04 AM
but what certain things do you mean?

Cainwen
July 27th, 2011, 09:15 AM
As far as problematic things in products? Depending on who you ask, silicones, sulfates and alcohols can all create problems in certain peoples hair. I know in the past I've had different shampoos interact with leave in products badly, as in it made my hair poorly textured. More recently I've had pantene products react badly with the hard water we have where I live.

As far as pantry items go, coconut oil and other oils seem to be the favored leave-in
(I like sweet almond oil for my wurly/curly hair). There's a million homemade recipes around here as well (as I'm sure you've noticed).

If you are looking for more conventional type things, most stores that have hair care products seem to have a variety of organic products, either set aside or with the more expensive hair care products. I've had luck with the Organix line before (specifically the coconut milk split ends mender), but YMMV and there is a huge array available.

longcurlygirl<3
July 27th, 2011, 09:22 AM
hmmm, well I always wanted to try sweet almond oil, it is the same as the cooking one or which one do you use?

Cainwen
July 27th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I picked mine up from the oil section of my grocery store. I keep mine in the fridge (it doesn't solidify) so it has a longer self life.