PDA

View Full Version : How often to clarify?

Ruvie
July 27th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I did Kiwi and Lime V05 shampoo only this morning, and my hair absolutely loves it. Its light, soft, virtually tangle free, and has nice shape.

How often should I use clarifying shampoo? Is it OK to use everyday, or just a few times a week?

I'm getting the same results (and in some ways better!) than I did with my normal Poo.

monsterna
July 27th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I usually clarify once to twice a week. I use a coney conditioner, so yeah.

MissAlida
July 27th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I wash my hair twice a week. I've given up shampoo, so I use only baking soda/vinegar rinse. So that means, I clarify 2 times a week. I'm trying to strech washes, and maybe get to the point where I can wash only once a week. But I wouldn't clarify every day, it strips your scalp from it's natural oils, not to mention the lenght. And it also might induce the scalp to produce more sebum, so it could result in having an oily scalp. But that's just my opinion. Maybe it wouldn't be harmful for you. :)

Anje
July 27th, 2011, 08:16 AM
As often as you need it, not more.

I CO with a non-silicone, non-protein conditioner that doesn't really seem to build up for me. Wash maybe every 5-7 days, whenever I notice that the roots are getting a bit piecey. I could probably clarify every 2-3 months without any problems.

Ruvie
July 27th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I will definitely set out a clarifying schedule. I will probably keep it at once every month or two and see how it goes. Thanks guys!

Toiréasa
July 27th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I clarify once a week and CO wash the rest of the week.

alxardnax
July 27th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I think the best indicator of when to clarify is by how your hair feels. If your hair feels greasy, flat, or dull then that would be the best time to clarify. A set routine probably wouldn't even be a good idea because if you plan on clarifying your hair, say, every thursday but some of those thursdays your hair doesn't feel weighed down, then you are just stripping your hair. I personally think how your hair feels is the best indicator of when to clarify.

Also, a lot of times if I know I am going to do a deep conditioning treatment I like to clarify beforehand because my (unfounded) theory is that if I clarify any buildup or cones my hair might have before a deep treatment, it will absorb better.

whitestiletto
July 27th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I'm unclear on what clarifying shampoo is. What is the magical ingredient that makes it clarifying? I think I need to clarify after heavy use of coney leave-in. Thanks!

Blond On Blond
July 27th, 2011, 09:51 PM
A clarifying shampoo is a shampoo consisting mainly of cleaning agents, with no conditioning stuff added, designed to strip your hair of buildup that just can't be removed by water alone. Alas, this means it will rip off also the good stuff off your hair, so be sure to condition afterward.

I like the Neutrogena shampoo. Sauve isn't bad, but i detest the smell. Avalon Organics has a good clarifying shampoo, and it smells great too! (lemon).

monsterna
July 27th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Yep, I mainly use Avalon Organics Lemon Clarifying. It's awesome and has no sulfates. The other night I used Suave's, as I was feeling particularly greasy.

I felt I should mention that I actually do use shampoo every day. Although it is protein-, sulfate-, and cone-free. And I condition with either Suave Rosemary Mint or Aussie Moist, which are both coney, I think the former being a little less coney.

So I feel the need to clarify at least once a week, but I think that's mainly from feeling the greasies, which I seem to get easily. So yeah. Clarify as much as you feel you need to.

cowgirllong
July 27th, 2011, 11:44 PM
I think you can't go wrong if you let your hair tell you when it needs to be clarified.

My scalp itches reading about people shampooing every day. I was no poo for a long time and when I went back to it, my scalp felt dry for 4 days after washing!

AuburnAlight
July 30th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I think clarifying is not necessary if your hair doesn't look like it needs it. I clarify my hair only as soon as it starts to be dull and limp, and that's enough for me.

racrane
July 30th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I only need to clarify once a week, but clarify as needed. VO5 Kiwi Lime is good stuff, isn't it?