PDA

View Full Version : All this CO/oils is great but the rinsing?!

Saeth
July 27th, 2011, 08:00 AM
So, I've been trying CO/oiling since being here on LHC, and generally like what they do for my hair. But it's starting to reach a point where I'm dreading rinsing these things out. It takes ages, what feels like a swimming pool worth of water (we're on a water meter) and seems to defeat the purpose of the treatments if I spend years trying to wash these products out of my hair in the shower. Also, I always *always* miss a bit.

I feel like I'm just useless at rinsing or something, though I try to split my hair in two, and methodically work through but nopes, I always get that missed spot. Sometimes I wonder if it's my hair type but I doubt that, it's not like I have super bush hair.

Help! :confused:

Scarlet_Heart
July 27th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Hmm :hmm:

Well, I know when I get in the shower, my hair feels kind of slick. But I don't try to wash all the oils out. I want them to build up in the length of my hair (because I have damage at the ends and I want to keep them moisturized). Maybe you are too used to the squeaky-clean feeling of shampoo? Try not to oil your scalp if you are feeling like it's too greasy. You could always try diluted shampoo or a shampoo bar on your scalp if your roots/scalp feel greasy.

I'm trying to understand just what you mean though. Does it feel oily at the scalp, through the length, or both?

Oh! Also, when you oil your hair: try to do it right after you wash, while it's still wet and only add a few drops. I only use 4 or 5 drops of camellia oil in my hair after a shower. Rub it gently into the ends and the work your way up. I do a quick, gentle combing to distribute the oils more, but some people don't think you should comb wet hair. It doesn't seem to hurt mine any. HTH!

Saeth
July 27th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Hello Scarlet,

Well I find that my hair shows even the faintest trace of anything, it's fine, quite thin and also I have the battle of the greasies. This is improving as I'm stretching washes. It just seems to happen if I do a pre-wash oiling, or C/O. I realised after joining LHC that I over cleansed my hair and skin and got crazy over the squeaky thing. So I'm trying to train myself out of that. Problem is, this residue issue is showing even when my hair is fully dry and my hair does need the moisture. I use just oil below the ears before washes as treatments, and a diluted shampoo though I'm wanting to move to CO. However, if CO takes 10/15 mins to rinse out each time and still it's not fully done, I may not bother! I seem it get it near the nape of the neck/back of the head section despite rinsing it out madly. Maybe I'm just really inept at getting it out lol It's not so much the products as much as I'm trying to keep my hair healthy with these 'babying' things but the process of it is starting to really irk me.

JadeTigress
July 27th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I have similar hair to yours, and I have the exact same problem. It's gotten to the point where I only CO if I know I've got a lot of time where I don't have to do anything, because it takes so long to rinse that I know I'll run out of warm water before I even have a chance to finish the rest of my shower duties, so if I want to clean the rest of myself the same day, I have to sit around and wait for the hot water heater to fill up again so I can take a second shower.

And even spending so long rinsing it, I still have a ton of trouble getting it all out. My length usually rinses fine, but my scalp just doesn't seem to want to let the stuff go. It doesn't matter if I wash right side up or upside down, or anything in between, with a vigorous massage (which worsens my already horrible shed), or any other way I can think of to rinse my hair. I don't know how other people get it out so easily.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with virgin hair. Because a little over half of my length is damaged from tons of coloring, bleaching, and perming; and I have no problems rinsing it out quickly. But the part that doesn't ever want to rinse is all virgin.

spidermom
July 27th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I'd advise keeping oil and conditioner away from the scalp under these circumstances. I do. My scalp produces plenty of its own oil; I don't need to add any.

I favor CWC with diluted shampoo. I always get good results, and the conditioner that I apply to my length removes the oil that I apply to my length. Rinsing time is about average; not difficult at all.

DarleneH
July 27th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I am mystified why it's taking that long to wash out some conditioner. What are you using to CO with? The oil I can understand.

Mirsha
July 27th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Have you tried diluting the conditioner that goes on the scalp? It might help with rinse time.

krissykins
July 27th, 2011, 11:35 AM
One thing that might help is following up with a vinegar/lemon/citric acid rinse. My hair was always rinsed thoroughly when I finished off with an ACV rinse.

neko_kawaii
July 27th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Hehe, I have this trouble too. Not sure I have a solution yet. I'm trying a different tactic for putting oil on my hair - Kimberlily's defrizz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277) so only a tiny bit of oil gets on the length and then I put a drop of coconut on the ends. I'm trying to do a controlled experiment by only putting the spray on one half of my hair so I can compare it to the un-sprayed side. So far I like it. Adds a nice shine and gives more defined braid waves than just water does. It might be that our hair just doesn't need much oil.

patienceneeded
July 27th, 2011, 12:00 PM
What conditioner/oils are you using? Try a lighter conditioner for the first in the CO washing? Maybe the combination is too heavy and that's why you're having trouble washing it all out? VO5 has a clarifying conditioner, it's in their Tea Therapy line of products. I think it's is VO5 Tea Therapy, Calming Cammomile (sp?) and it's very light. I like to use it for my first conditioner when I'm feeling like my hair is a little over-oiled. It is SLS and Cone free, plus it smells nice! If you want to avoid shampoo, try a lighter/clarifying conditioner. Maybe use it twice? I think Suave has a daily clarifying conditioner too, if VO5 is hard to find. Plus, both Suave and VO5 are cheap, so it won't hurt the pocketbook to try.

Or, try a diluted shampoo, like some of the others have mentioned. I washed out an empty shampoo bottle to use for this purpose. I'm still transitioning to CO, but recently visited a hard-water area and I really needed to clarify after coming home so I used shampoo. I put some shampoo (Neutrogena Anti-Residue, about 2 dimes worth?) in the rinsed out bottle and the filled it with water. I shook it and then applied it all along my scalp. I had never tried diluting shampoo before and I was shocked at how well it worked! My hair was squeaky clean (which I know, isn't that great for the hair) but I wanted to make sure I got all the hard-water minerals out, plus the cones from what I used on vacation. I then did a CO wash (TRESsemme Naturals followed by AO Honeysuckle Rose). My hair feels and looks great. I'm hoping to avoid shampoo now and continue CO washing. A diluted shampoo may work really well for you if you feel like you need to get some heavy oil or conditioner out.

Hope you find something that works!

ddiana1979
July 27th, 2011, 12:17 PM
If I do a heavy oiling with coconut oil or EVOO, I always put on a bunch of conditioner in the shower & let it sit for about 5-10 min. while I do the rest of my shower stuff. Then I wash out the conditioner, and apply shampoo to just my scalp, then condition my length. The first time I used coconut oil, it took me FOREVER to get out, because I was trying to do it with just shampoo.

SpinDance
July 27th, 2011, 12:32 PM
You may be just using too much conditioner, or one that is too heavy for your needs. Shampoo isn't the only thing that can be diluted, I've diluted both for years with quite good effect. Can you tell if it is the oil or the conditioner that you are having trouble rinsing out? How often are you oiling, how much are you using, and what kind(s)?

Scarlet_Heart
July 27th, 2011, 01:30 PM
You may be just using too much conditioner, or one that is too heavy for your needs. Shampoo isn't the only thing that can be diluted, I've diluted both for years with quite good effect. Can you tell if it is the oil or the conditioner that you are having trouble rinsing out? How often are you oiling, how much are you using, and what kind(s)?

I agree with this completely. Try to find a lighter conditioner or dilute the one you're using. Maybe only put oil at the very ends if they're dry, but otherwise lay off of them a little. I hope you find something that works. :)

lacrymosa777
July 27th, 2011, 10:36 PM
i don't wash it all out anyway....no need to....

JadeTigress
July 27th, 2011, 11:07 PM
What conditioner/oils are you using? Try a lighter conditioner for the first in the CO washing? Maybe the combination is too heavy and that's why you're having trouble washing it all out? VO5 has a clarifying conditioner, it's in their Tea Therapy line of products. I think it's is VO5 Tea Therapy, Calming Cammomile (sp?) and it's very light. I like to use it for my first conditioner when I'm feeling like my hair is a little over-oiled. It is SLS and Cone free, plus it smells nice! If you want to avoid shampoo, try a lighter/clarifying conditioner. Maybe use it twice? I think Suave has a daily clarifying conditioner too, if VO5 is hard to find. Plus, both Suave and VO5 are cheap, so it won't hurt the pocketbook to try.

Or, try a diluted shampoo, like some of the others have mentioned. I washed out an empty shampoo bottle to use for this purpose. I'm still transitioning to CO, but recently visited a hard-water area and I really needed to clarify after coming home so I used shampoo. I put some shampoo (Neutrogena Anti-Residue, about 2 dimes worth?) in the rinsed out bottle and the filled it with water. I shook it and then applied it all along my scalp. I had never tried diluting shampoo before and I was shocked at how well it worked! My hair was squeaky clean (which I know, isn't that great for the hair) but I wanted to make sure I got all the hard-water minerals out, plus the cones from what I used on vacation. I then did a CO wash (TRESsemme Naturals followed by AO Honeysuckle Rose). My hair feels and looks great. I'm hoping to avoid shampoo now and continue CO washing. A diluted shampoo may work really well for you if you feel like you need to get some heavy oil or conditioner out.

Hope you find something that works!

I can't say anything for the OP, of course, but I use Suave Naturals Aloe & Waterlily. I very rarely do a second condition, and if I do, it's only on my length. And my length always rinses very easily, so I don't notice a difference with rinsing that part whether I use one conditioner or two.

As far as oil goes, I use coconut on the length occasionally, but I havn't used it in awhile. I don't really have any problems getting oil out unless I use way too much, and if the conditioner doesn't get it out then I clarify with baking soda and I'm fine. For me, it's really just the conditioner that doesn't want to come out of the virgin half of my hair.

Lately I've just been shampooing (SLS free, unless I need to clarify), unless I know I've got a large enough block of free time to spend in the shower rinsing out a CO.

I think I'm going to try diluting the conditioner, since I've never done that before, along with the ACV rinse that was suggested. I bought ACV a couple weeks ago with the intention of trying a rinse, and it hasn't happened yet. Which is crazy, because usually when I buy a new hair thing, I end up trying it out as soon as I get it home. :p