PDA

View Full Version : Going back to neck/shoulder length.

irishlady
July 26th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Hi all,
Sadly I have had to cut my hair back to a little bit above shoulder length. I have been under huge stress for a long time, and it's finally caught up with me, making me physically ill.
As a result, my hair started shedding massively, and just looked lank and dull. I also had areas where the hair was much shorter than the rest, I have not had this before.
I value quality over quantity, and so it had to be cut. It now looks better.
I have mixed feelings about it. I am sad about the loss, and yet, since joining LHC, I realise there are still quite a lot of styles I can do, and I bought some pretty hair toys to cheer me up ;)...and of course I now know how to treat my hair right!

Anyone have similar experiences they'd like to share? How did it affect you?

Sorry if there is already a thread like this.

Henrietta
July 26th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I keep my fingers crossed for your hair journey and your feeling better. It's good that you see positive sites of this cut. :flower:

Aqua Gal
July 26th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Irishlady, you are not alone. There was a recent thread here on the same topic and some of the comments were truly touching.

I have been in the same boat and know how painful it is. I lost a great deal of my hair in 2009 to a post-baby shed. I have some other medical issues, so I'm sure that didn't help. I too cut my hair, in my case back to shoulder length from almost hip. It was just so hard to watch the huge chunks of hair fall out!

I could never have imagined how much it hurt to watch my hair fall out. I'm not a very emotional person, but it had me in tears!

I'm sure you will a find many, like me, who have walked in your shoes. I know reading other people's stories really made me feel better. There really is a different perspective when you've gone through something yourself.

Hugs! and here's hoping that you find peace with your new thickness/length. Accepting what I STILL have, rather than mourning the loss of what I had, has been very comforting to me.

Spring
July 26th, 2011, 10:42 AM
(((Hugs))) :flower:

I remember going through my post baby shed.. for me it was a year and a half until I really noticed it was over. I tried to hang onto those thin ends and was miserable and much happier after my trim ( I think it was to shoulder as well). Eventually my hair thickened again. I think the new cut and hair toys are a great idea!!

spidermom
July 26th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I can't remember post-baby sheds, but I did cut short with each of my 2 children. No medication or stress sheds, either, not that I can remember. I just wanted to say that I am sure I'd do the same thing - cut shorter - if I lost a lot of hair. Long, thin, stringy hair just wouldn't be right for me.

Helix
July 26th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I'm sorry you're going through a rough patch. All I can say is take care of yourself, (Eat well, laugh, get enough sleep. Maybe even take an omega 3 supplement to help deal with the stress). You'll get through it eventually just hang in there and picture yourself in a better place.

I had a similar experience. Something went wrong with my last relaxer and the next morning I woke up with shed hair all over my pillow. Even had a few bald spots. Needless to say - no more chemical processes for me.

It happened during a stressful period in my life so it affected me more than it would have if I wasn't already stressed out. I Ended up cutting it to ear length to even out the damage as best I could.

It sucked, but hey, I got through it and you will too. Hair grows back so don't feel bad about the cut. Have fun with your hair toys :)

faithsdaisy421
July 26th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I am so sorry you are going through this. Please remember that you are not alone in this. I experienced a pretty severe case of Telogen Effluvium (http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/effluviums) about 18 months ago. It messed my hair up so terribly. I remember standing in the shower pulling fistfulls of hair out... knowing there was nothing I could do. But, it grew back and is healthier than ever =) It is a journey... not a race. That is what I had to keep telling myself.

Big hugs to you =)

irishlady
July 26th, 2011, 04:53 PM
You're all so kind, thank you :)
The shedding had been going on for months, and well...it was stressing me out even more, finding handfuls of hair coming out. Some days I was close to tears about it, it was quite disturbing.
At least I can still manage a mini french/dutch braid and I can even get it into a teeny little bun lol. I got 2 beautiful leaf barettes from Beadmask...I need to post some pics, she's really cool. (sorry if I'm bragging...can't help myself :P )

rags
July 26th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I'm so sorry you've been having such a rough time! I've been there. I lost over 50 percent of my hair from medications (known side effect, but I had no choice. I had to take it). I too cut to shoulder (from almost TB) as it came out very unevenly. I would have a long thick piece and then an almost bald patch. It looked awful!!

The thing is, it does grow back, even if not the same (though most people's IS the same). Mine never regained its former thickness, but like someone above me said, I try to value what I DO have.

And just think - if you were a heat styler or anything - now you get to start fresh with wonderful new ends!

Maelyssa
July 26th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I went from having my hair at hip length 2 years ago to having it chopped to the same length as you. Was I sad that the length was gone? Yes but what far outweighed it was the happiness I got from enjoying really healthy, good looking hair even if it wasn't what's considered long anymore. Come this August it will be two years. I've taken good care of it. Haven't used heat products. Once it started getting long enough I wore it up in a claw clip & Ficcare (the fake cheap ones). In fact I pretty much wore my hair up almost all the time last year and now I've gained 14 inches of healthy growth. My hair is now waist length & very healthy. I love it. Wouldn't trade the cut to shoulder for anything. My hair looked horrible before.
Congrats on being brave enough to do one big cut to get rid of the damage. Enjoy it at this new length & as you grow it back out make sure to treat it with tender loving care. :D

Aqua Gal
July 26th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Irishlady post the pics!

irishlady
July 27th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Will do. I'm away from home right now, but will take pics once I get back :)

maborosi
July 27th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Hi, irishlady.

Back in about 2008, I was dealing with some serious health problems, not to mention I was under extreme stress- and I decided that it'd be best to cut all my hair off and start again. I didn't take the best care of it, and heatstyled and bleached it back then.

I'm glad I cut, because at its current length, it's much healthier than it was when it was BSL back in about 2007. It sucks when you initially do it, but I think it has been worth it.

~maborosi~